• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

i wish i had a pic of what i say on the highway

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
driving up interstate 65 today saw a guy in southbound side (i was heading north) their was a guy sawing off the antlers on a 10 point i believe did not get a real good look but it was a big rack with a hacksaw just going at it as har as he could.

laughed my ass off for about 3-4 miles god i wish i could have snapped a pic with my phone

Is that legal? i dont know, didnt even pull it in to the ditch, he was sawing as fast as he could right on the side of the road.

Re: i wish i had a pic of what i say on the highway

This time of year there are plenty of headless deer on Missouri roads. I don't know if it's legal to cut them off.

I can't imagine why it would be illegal, so long as he didn't kill it...

Kinda lame though. I wouldn't want antlers from a critter I didn't shoot, drops are one thing but sawing them off road kill is lame.

thats true i guess `i dont know i thought leagle issue as far as road way, im sure he didnt hit it he was in nice looking dodge crew cab, defiantly a hunter had 4 wheeler in back with gun racks on handle bars. just was hilarious he going at it with saw on road kill.

I hit one down in s. Texas evening, a nice 10 pointer, and when I came back by the next day someone had cut off, not just the rack, but the whole head. Looked like he used a chainsaw.

Sheesh.

I keep a hack saw in my car for just this purpose. And other stuff. But if I see a good deer I'm going to move it out of the way so it doesn't cause problems and score some free antlers at the same time. Almost tagged a pretty nice 6 point last night with the car. I always have a split second debate in my head as to do a I want meat or a new bumper every time that happens.

Dont know about legal of that ,but some people......

Not legal to take roadkill in Texas. Strange given the stereotype of people eating roadkill in the south.

As far as i know, its illegal in WA too, but not goin to dig through the RCW's to find out. Only horns I will bring home are sheds or those on my Chuck Testa pieces...
smile.gif

not legal in idaho or utah, I remember hearing about one state that if you didn't call a police officer you didn't get insurance. If you called the police they gave the roadkill to fish&Game you couldn't take it.

I think you can scavenge here in NE provided you have tags for deer, it won't cost you your tags, but you must have it and must check out with Fish and Wildlife.

i hit one in my mustang. officer told me i could have it if i tagged it. rack was broken, $3600 damage- the fender/hood was smashed, roof was scraped and wing on back had a chunk out of it. was only going 35-40mph in town 100yds after stop sign. i would not swerve for a deer but definitely would stop if i had a chance to.

Hell no that's not legal! At least not here inTexas. If it was, no one would hunt with a rifle. We'd just put a brush guard on the front end and go hit a buck on the highway. I seriously doubt it's legal in your neck of the woods. That is too funny!!!!

It isn't legal her. I don't know why people do it either, but if it is even a mediocre rack it usually is gone.

The game and fish dept is usually pretty interested when a big buck gets hit they will pick it up, but a doe will just lay there. I've got one laying in the ditch by my place, I guess I should feed it to the dog.

Illegal in PA.

If you want to buy a rack from the PA DNR it's $10/pt
If they catch you with one or cutting it off like that it's $100/pt fine and they take your hunting license for 1-5yrs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vwhugger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not legal to take roadkill in Texas. Strange given the stereotype of people eating roadkill in the south. </div></div>

And screwing roadkill in the north...

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/42199-man-gets-probation-for-having-sex-with-dead-deer </div></div>

I had to check that out, I thought the .uk maybe meant a british tabloid was making stuff up.

Anyway, it's true. And you can sign a petition to free the man. You have to admit, the deer didn't care.

Here in IL, you can harvest roadkill. If you want to legally keep the antlers you have to call the DNR and they will issue a number over the phone. I found a monster 13 point driving home in a field that was hit by a car, I cut the rack off. Once I got home I called the DNR and told them that I found this dead, it had been there for a few days. i told them the meat was bad so I just kept the rack. They said no problem, they gave me a conformation number to keep with the rack.

I myself keep with me a very sharp knife in my truck for this reason during hunting season. You don't need a saw as long as your not afraid of possibly getting a little blood in your truck.
With the knife ring all the way around to the bone just under the bottom jaw, grab the antlers with both hands and with a good twist off comes the head. Less than 1 minute. I collect antlers, I also give them to a buddy who makes antler crafts. I have a few antler lamps, (made with 3-4 large antlers) that came from both sheds and road kill.

I'm sure that all states are different, but IL and the right phone call your covered.

Illinois has over 10,000 deer/car accidents a year.