• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I18 inch barreled rifles

Ghost1941

Resident Gun Guy
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2009
Michigan
I know there was an article about this awhile ago and I'd really like to take a look at the thread. Sorry for wasting time and space on the forum but I searched around for it with no result. If you could PM me the link I'd be very greatful. Thanks.

Re: I18 inch barreled rifles

I was actually looking for a thread on here, however that article helped a lot. Thanks.

it was called show me youre 20 incher i think, but had alot of 16-20 inch barreled guns in it

All 18" barrels are not created equal.

Some go with tight bores. Some go with normal bores. Some go with normal bores with less grooves.

I prefer the less groves approach, such as my 18" 3-groove 308 from lawton.
smile.gif

I'm not sure if this is of interest to you, but my favorite M14s have 18.0" barrels.
Both have 4 grooves, a 1:10 ROT and both are chambered for M118LR.
One is chrome lined and has a standard profile, the other is an unlined medium heavy Crazy Horse barrel.

I have 30-06 I rebarreled, one inch solid, no taper, and cut it to 17inches. I stacks 180 acubonds up at 100. Bangs 12 inch steel at 500 like nothing. It is my hunting rifle, probaly won't shoot it at game over 200 yards just because of opportunity, but in the woods it swings well and just looks freaking tough!! No problem with the shorter barrel for me. It does knock off about 20 fps every inch or so you take off from what I have seen. What was 2680fps in a 24-inch barrel became 2550 in the 17 inch.

Mudcat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry I cannot help you in regards to the thread you are enquiring about. I must have missed it also lol.

Here is my 18" barrel system.

http://www.longrangeresearchinstitute.com/gpage15.html

Thanks </div></div>

You dont think that could have been the thread you started?

Well, what I want to do is make a LA .308. I have a Long action right now and I was considering .30-06 but I already have dies for the .308 and an abundance of .308 ammo at home. I read that article and from what they say you can knock it down to 18 inches and not have an issue with fps until you go lower than that. I was considering an 18 or a 20 inch barrel, still not sure of the barrel manufacturer. I've been browsing Shilen's, Pacnor's, Hart's, Lilja's and a couple others websites trying to figure out exactly what I need. As you might have gathered I'm still fairly new to this and the last rifle I got I purchased already built, I'd like to build this one up from the bottom and put it together how I want it to be done.

Any recommendations for barrel manufacturer, twist, length etc would be great.

I also need to find a LA bolt for a .30-06/.308 which I believe is the "standard bolt face" because the one with my action is a magnum bolt face. Does anybody recommend a place to buy one new? I have a thread up on the WTB/WTT trying to get a used one but we'll see.