• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideal reloading setup?

hasuchObe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2017
Been interested in putting together an ideal reloading setup for a long time. What are some parts you consider ideal? I've only narrowed down 1 piece of this puzzle: autotrickler + autothrow + ADI scale. Curious on what the rest might look like. F-class guys plz chime in :)

Been interested in putting together an ideal reloading setup for a long time. What are some parts you consider ideal? I've only narrowed down 1 piece of this puzzle: autotrickler + autothrow + ADI scale. Curious on what the rest might look like. F-class guys plz chime in :)
Watch the F class John or Eric cortina videos.

Any one that comes with components.

All the rest are just boat anchors.

Check out the thread:

“Building the Perfect Reloading Room”​

there some unbelievable reloading rooms/setups that you should mimic. My favorite is @orkan of Primal Rights On page 2. If you do anything close to his setup, you will be “ideal“ IMHO.

Check out the thread:

“Building the Perfect Reloading Room”​

there some unbelievable reloading rooms/setups that you should mimic. My favorite is @orkan of Primal Rights On page 2. If you do anything close to his setup, you will be “ideal“ IMHO.
Thank you. I'm honored. I had some problems with scaling up a few of my stations though... and I'm happy to have resolved those conflicts with my new space. I can scale each station almost infinitely now. Much better. Much more space. Much more secure.

Reactions: Jlcichocki
Money no object?

Area419 Zero Press
F class Products IDOD (can trim with it now too)
AMP annealer w/amp mate
Hydro press seating press
Dillon progressive with mark 7 drive
Primal rights primer seater
Assortment of mandrels and quality dies

Money no object?

Area419 Zero Press
AMP annealer w/amp mate
Wait a little bit. AMP bullet seater is just around the corner.

Prometheus GenII
AutoDOD

Yup... great time to be a shooter. :)

Prometheus GenII
AutoDOD

Shit. Forgot about the amp. That’s on my list.

Need to upgrade my IDOD to an auto.

Reactions: hasuchObe
Headspace comparitor
modified cases
Bullet comparitor
Micrometer
Primer pocket gauge large & small
Books
Magnification light
Primer pocket tools
Primer flipping tray
Cordless strait screwdriver
Adapter to use for case tools in screw driver
Separate electronic scale
Lizard litter
Nufinnish car wax
Mineral spirits
Squirt bottle
Vibratory tumbler
5 gallon bucket with lid
A sturdy single stage press separate from your (main) press
Bleacher style case holder

Primers (good luck)

Edit: I did probably confuse you for a beginning reloader, my bad.

Edit: That sounds wrong.
Let me try it again.

I may have mistaken you for a new reloader, sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: maples14
Money no object?

Area419 Zero Press
AMP annealer w/amp mate
Why do you need three presses?

It has been my experience just save up for the amp instead of flame annealing. I have one of the big name flame annealing machines and it was always a hassle. I even spent about 100 bucks on shutoff valves and pressure regulators to run off a 20lb bottle instead of the 1lb ones and at the end of the day I still questioned whether I did everything correct. Amp solves all that and can use it in the house instead of the garage. Buy the best set of calipers you can find and skip straight to the sac comparitors. All the sizes of mandrels and bushings for your appropriate caliber and type s dies (redding is way behind though good luck). For trimming either Henderson or giraud are good to go just whatever trimming device you get make sure it is a 3 way cutter so you dont have to chamfer and debur afterwards because that sucks. Press 419, coax, t7, mec they are all gonna be good with the right dies and mandrels I have loaded some dang good shooting ammo on a partner press. Autotrickler v3 has been mentioned. One thing a lot of people dont mention are get good reloading trays and good funnels. Area 419 changed my reloading once I started using their stuff just buy everything they offer haha. Priming top echelon is the CPS, the rcbs auto prime I think has worked well for me or a sinclair hand primer, but riding motorcycles for too many years keeps me from squeezing on those anymore.

Headspace comparitor
modified cases
Bullet comparitor
Micrometer
Primer pocket gauge large & small
Books
Magnification light
Primer pocket tools
Primer flipping tray
Cordless strait screwdriver
Adapter to use for case tools in screw driver
Separate electronic scale
Lizard litter
Nufinnish car wax
Mineral spirits
Squirt bottle
Vibratory tumbler
5 gallon bucket with lid
A sturdy single stage press separate from your (main) press
Bleacher style case holder

Primers (good luck)

Edit: I did probably confuse you for a beginning reloader, my bad.

Edit: That sounds wrong.
Let me try it again.

I may have mistaken you for a new reloader, sorry.
I am a new reloader and I understood you the first time :p

Well then my checklist may be of use after all.

I looked back on that list, I have used all but three of those tools yesterday working on some 6.5g and cant find my .264 / 6.5 bullet comparitor.

In spite of all the better faster gear available some of the manual tools (lyman multi tool) used in a cordless screwdriver with an adapter for the threads is great if you don't want to tear down a setup for touch up work.

Demand for some of the upscale tools may also have you waiting.

Well then my checklist may be of use after all.

I looked back on that list, I have used all but three of those tools yesterday working on some 6.5g and cant find my .264 / 6.5 bullet comparitor.

In spite of all the better faster gear available some of the manual tools (lyman multi tool) used in a cordless screwdriver with an adapter for the threads is great if you don't want to tear down a setup for touch up work.

Demand for some of the upscale tools may also have you waiting.

Couldnt agree more with this I still have all my original lower tier stuff and sometimes reaching In the toolbox for the lyman multi tool is way easier than changing a setup. Especially when i feel like testing 10 rounds of something off the wall because I got the itch to mess around and dont want to tear apart a toolhead or change trimmer settings.

Reactions: Snuby642
#5-26 for 6.5 cm 264's unless hornady lied about there product and as of a few seconds ago they are still in stock and that one 5-26 is in the pack or at least mine was .

Prometheus GenII
AutoDOD

Orkan, can you go into more detail about the amp seater?

Is there a reloading flowchart? Case trimming.. neck trimming.. not sure if I need an IDOD or a Giraud Trimmer or both. My newb brain says I need the tool that removes the primer, cleans the brass, annealing optional, trimmer, primer seater, trickler, and press, in order of use. I feel like IDOD is another optional in that chain.

Is there a reloading flowchart? Case trimming.. neck trimming.. not sure if I need an IDOD or a Giraud Trimmer or both. My newb brain says I need the tool that removes the primer, cleans the brass, annealing optional, trimmer, primer seater, trickler, and press, in order of use. I feel like IDOD is another optional in that chain.
There are literally tens (hundreds?) of books that teach you how to reload. Owning several and reading it front to back is, yes, necessary. The internet is full of good and bad ideas on reloading.

One person's reloading steps is not the same as another's.

There are a fiew different routes to take in getting a round produced.

You have to decide the degree of accuracy needed and amount of prep you are willing to do as well as time.

I would say I fall in the middle of the pack. Whereas some in this thread are at the top of the game.

You can run rinsed off range brass through a single stage or turret or progresive.

You can take the time to prep brass with care and work the details to the best practices your eqipment will allow.

Or you can go full up critical mass with the best of components and gear.

I spend about as much time as I can on my brass prep with what I have because it is something I can controll with time being the major expense.

It really depends on your shooting discipline.

Last edited:
Consider the "walk before you run" theory. Would you buy a Ferrari for your driver training class?

Reactions: Snuby642
The manual stuff you buy if decent quality will help you understand what you are paying for in the automated / top shelf items.

And good standard gear will last a lifetime and not be tossed out but rather used as backup or small batch chores.

Why do you need three presses?

Because a fourth just gets in the way. Actually...I have 6 presses set up atm...with the addition of my new Forster Co-Ax.....and I'll probably get a ZERO once I've knocked a few other things off my want list.

Area 419 funnel set and 4" drop tube.
Forster datum gage set
Mitutoyo 6" Digital Caliper

Last edited:
Reactions: PFG
Consider the "walk before you run" theory. Would you buy a Ferrari for your driver training class?
the auto trickler is a no brainer to me. the rest I have to do the analysis. usually something between cheapest and high end (leaning towards high end). for example, I would probably skip IDOD/ADOD.

Reactions: dzander
The auto trickler 120I scale is pricey but once you have it you'll won't ever go back.
Big time saver and accurate.

Last edited: