• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ideas and thoughts needed

opeagle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Ohio
Among my many projects and brain wonderings I have the following.

I need to put something together for my folks to keep around the farm. Primary thoughts.

Use will be under 400 yards more than likely In the 1-200 range.
Must be light and handy with a fairly soft recoil. I am thinking. 223 but that's not definite.
primary target will be groundhogs and coyote or other small game. The purpose is more critter control than hunting per say.
Good but still affordable glass suited to the purpose.
I would probably prefer something stainless and synthetic so I don't have to worry about much maintenance.

Last but not least. Its all coming from my pocket so it's gotta fit my meager budget. I don't know how much I have to work with but let's just say I want to do something decent on a budget.

Thoughts?

Re: Ideas ang thoughts needed

Whats a decent budget? 1000 for the whole shebang (scope, base, rifle, rings, bipod) or 1500-2000 for the whole shebang?

If the 1000 sounds about right, id look for the Remington SPS Tac in 223 or the Savage in 223

if you have about 1K to spend on the rifle itself, id say an LTR in 223 or a used 5R Milspec in 223.

I stick with something in the .223/5.56 class of rifle, bolt action, fixed/non-detachable mag, 20" barrel, and either a 1.5-6x or so scope (maybe 2.5-10x if you really think 200+ is going to be a frequent occurrence or if bad eyesight is an issue). I'd steer them away from the AR-15 platform or any semi-auto just because of the relative complexity of operation compared to a bolt action, as well as the maintenance, cleaning, etc. involved with the AR (unless your folks are experienced with such firearms).

deadly is right in in terms of the rifle itself...an SPS Tac or an LTR in .223 would be a great setup, topped with something like a Bushnell Elite or Nikon Monarch scope in the mag range you think would be best suited to their needs (and eyesight).

You can get an SPS Tactical in .223 for around $550, then add mounts/rings/scope for another $350 or so, and some ammo for them and you are in and done for <$1k total for a rifle you can hand them and know it will serve them well.

Yeah it will be a bolt gun and their eye sight is OK but I do think I will put a 10 or 15 power scope on it. Maybe a Savage or Remmington but I need input to decide and keep price inline.

used 16" ar15 with a low power scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">used 16" ar15 with a low power scope. </div></div>

yes thats a perfect idea
crazy.gif

a good 223 bolt gun would suit the OP a tad bit better by the posting.

this one would be an easy choice for me savage 12 in your choice of stocks in either 223, 22-250, or 243. for a do it all rifle with not alot of rounds going down range definetly the 243, tons of rounds fired 223, middle of the road with alittle less recoil 22-250. only you know the exact needs of the shooter. if budget allows leupold with varmint hunter reticle, if need cheaper maybe a burris tac 30, if you really need cheap i have had great luck with sightron sI's around $100bucks and have the best warranty in the biz.

cheapest route would be a used savage 12 fvss in caliber of choice and sightron sI scope you would probably be under $700 for rifle and glass, practice with the mildot and use it for holdovers since you only going out to 400yds.

I would like to stay under 1k for the entire package but that's not an absolute.
Is it harder to find a. 223 in 1/7 to 1/9? If I go this route I can supplement their ammo from my inventory.

The Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223 is a 1:9 twist. I'm not sure about the Savage as I have not owned or shot the Savage .223 that deadly and others have mentioned.

As for keeping it cheap...try this one:

Bud's - SPS Tactical in .223 for $568.00 shipped

Additionally, I believe that Remington is running a $40 rebate on this rifle (and the .308Win version) now through the end of the year which gets you the rifle for even cheaper). Remington Rebate Round-up

That is good. Hopefully someone will chime in with Savage experience and thoughts or even others like Howa or whatever low dollar rifles may fit this role.

My Remms have been good thus far but this is a different role.

Well everyone is talking .22 but I would go for a 6mm either a .243 or 6mm rem. Bolt ok, but Browning used to make a neat little lever gun in .243 win. A very handy rifle. And being on a farm a buck just might stick his nose out and the 6mm is better suited for that. Recoil is very light as is the whole rifle.

SPS Tac, SS 10x42, Warne 20moa base, Burris Xtreme tactical low rings, Harris bipod, and you should be about a grand and good to go.

Or, look for good buys in the For Sale section and you could probably save a few bucks!

I guess people are looking right past the light and handy requirement.
Fairly light and handy with laser accuracy equals the Savage hunter max. It is the same rifle as the 10pc but has a fluted barrel add a decent 3-10 like a Mueller tac-2 and you are pretty good to go.
Another option if the Howa ranchhand rifle, they can be bought as the rifle alone or in a package deal with a Nikko-Sterling scope.
Yeah, it's not a GAP with the ubiquitous Nightforce scope that everyone thinks you should have (not that there is anything wrong with that) but it has a sporter weight barrel, reducing the weight and the Nikko scopes actually seem to work okay, though I would e inclined to buy the rifle and put a scope of my choice on it. 493 bucks for the package.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_280/products_id/58100

The NEF Handi-rifle is simple and cheap, probalby less than $500 for gun and decent optics. Not the most accurate, but worthy of consideration for a truck gun. I'd almost say Savage predator with a decent Nikon 3x-9x or 4x-12x would put you at about $1000. No worry for rust since it's dipped, plenty accurate, and they are offering them in several twists now. My boss has 2 in 243 with different twists and both are hammers and both have the detachable magazine. 223 is always a great option too. My experience with Remington has been hit and miss lately. The Savages seem good to go out of the box and no need for smithing as it is a do it yourself platform with the barrel nut design.

Re: Ideas and thoughts needed

Ruger Mini 14 with a scope of some sort.

Re: Ideas and thoughts needed

Actually, I would seriously consider a little Stevens 200 XP short package in .223. It's basically the Savage 10 with a plastic stock,Accutrigger, comes with a 3x9 scope, and you can buy the whole package for about $400. Perfect little knock around the farm, throw it in the back of the truck and don't worry much about it type of rifle.