• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideas for precision AR-15 build?

You didn't specify length or profile or what he wants to do with it, which will usually dictate the other two. What are you wanting to hit at 600? If its an 18" gong most name brand barrels will do it. 12" you might look at Rainier match barrels, they have a 16" and 18" in stock right now for $209. Not sure what you'd call budget, but my Daniel Defence 14.5" pencil profile shoots 1" @ 100 all day with Hornady Black 75gr so a 12" gong (never tried it on something that far away) shouldn't be a problem and it was mid $200s. Also keep in mind that no matter how much you spend on a barrel, you'll have trouble hitting anything but the ground at 600 yards if you feed it cheap, bulk ammo.

Found it, thanks.

WOA SPR 18" 7 twist at Brownells, $240

Reactions: winniedonkey
I went with the 20" Stainless Ballistic Advantage Barrel. Sitting inside a Aero Builder Frame. I even went as far as truing the upper and bed the barrel. Overall my hopes were high but my results were sub par. I was getting 1" groups at 100yd. I just thought with the extra work on the upper receiver id have better results. Id recommending going a different route then BA.
NDs8Z3C.jpg

I went with the 20" Stainless Ballistic Advantage Barrel. Sitting inside a Aero Builder Frame. I even went as far as truing the upper and bed the barrel. Overall my hopes were high but my results were sub par. I was getting 1" groups at 100yd. I just thought with the extra work on the upper receiver id have better results. Id recommending going a different route then BA.
NDs8Z3C.jpg
A polished turd is still just a turd.

Did you try it with the muzzle brake off the rifle Full?
I did. My initial test was with a A2 flash hider. I tried so many different loads too. Bullets were from 77 Berger OTM, 77 SMK, 78 ELDM. Powders were 8208XBR, H335, CFE223, RL16, RAMTAC. And brass was all Lapua. My best load if i remember was 77SMK, 8298XBR, GM205M, in a Lapua case. Overall Id say BA is for the budget minded and not match quality.

I did. My initial test was with a A2 flash hider. I tried so many different loads too. Bullets were from 77 Berger OTM, 77 SMK, 78 ELDM. Powders were 8208XBR, H335, CFE223, RL16, RAMTAC. And brass was all Lapua. My best load if i remember was 77SMK, 8298XBR, GM205M, in a Lapua case. Overall Id say BA is for the budget minded and not match quality.

Look into bedding and or shimming the barrel to the receiver, I did both on a 6.5CM that helped. triggershims.com

This is my current build. Should be complete tomorrow.

Aero ambi lower and no forward assist upper
Giessele SSA-E, MK-18 rail, charge handle, and buffer system
BHW 18’ Rifle SPR
XLR stock

Picture of the mock-up with SWFA donor scope before assembly.

View attachment 7087032
Two years later and several changes:
  • Swapped SSA-E for TT Adaptive
  • Ergo precision grip
  • A419 two port and TBAC Dominus
  • Mk5 3-18
069EA380-C337-4E81-AE01-DFB7DD075010.jpeg

Mines on the block for a rebuild. New upper and lower, looking for a new handguard but reusing all other components
70997213-C2CD-4BF3-AD9D-41425E8804B8.jpeg

This is my small frame in what I think is it's final form.

Aero lower
TT
JP SCS
PRS gen 3
Spartan side charge upper
JP low mass BCG and enhanced bolt
Gibbz 15" rail
AR performance 6mm predator barrel
Sup arms AGB
Dead air keymo brake and nomad
Burris signature rings and an athlon
20210731_150331.jpg