• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideas of moving a gun safe across country???

lelandEOD

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2008
Well, it looks like I'm going to need to get fitted for my wool pajamas sooner that thought. I may be heading to the PRC for a couple years as my current employement situation here in PA is coming to a halt.

So, I am going to haul my household goods via a large U-Haul/Ryder/Budget truck but am in a jam as to how to move the safe. The is not a candy-ass residential security container bought at Costco. This is a 1,740 lb Graffunder. It's on a pallet and I do have a pallet jack (bought specifically for the job).

I've moved the safe locally in the past with the help of the jack and a few friends. Previously, I rented a small Budget truck equipped with a hydraulic liftgate. It was a little hairy (dropped like a ton of bricks) but it worked ok.

Only problem is, it seems Budget won't rent out these trucks for long-distance/one way hauls. The bastards!

So, now I'm thinking of alternatives and the only solution I can come up with is to find a freight company that can pick it up and drop it off (even within a reasonable distance from the destination (like a hub or something) from Sacramento.

Does anyone have any experience with moveing one of these beasts? Or even an idea of how to best find a freight company?

Thanks!

Re: Ideas of moving a gun safe across country???

Is the truck you can rent capable of the weight and the only thing holding you back is the lift gate? If so put your pallet jack in the truck, rent a bobcat with pallet forks or pay a contractor to load it for you. Once in the truck use your pallet jack to move it to wherever you can strap it down, over the axle would probably be best. Once you arrive to your destination reverse loading operation to unload. Giving a contractor a $100.00 bill would probably be the easiest for 10 minutes of their work.

yellow freight, abf freight and im sure there are plenty in the yellow pages. i like the bobcat idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wishooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the truck you can rent capable of the weight and the only thing holding you back is the lift gate? If so put your pallet jack in the truck, rent a bobcat with pallet forks or pay a contractor to load it for you. Once in the truck use your pallet jack to move it to wherever you can strap it down, over the axle would probably be best. Once you arrive to your destination reverse loading operation to unload. Giving a contractor a $100.00 bill would probably be the easiest for 10 minutes of their work. </div></div>

Not a bad idea... I'll have to see if it'd be possible to rent one of those things for a few hours.

THANKS!

I used ABF Freight from NC to NM. My safe was around 1200lbs. If you can get to a loading dock with the pallet jack it shouldn't be any issue, I don't think their ramp was weighted for even the weight of my safe. If you can't dock it, you could probably fabricate and/or build some support for their ramp and be GTG.

how much does it cost to rent a truck with a lift gate for a hour?

You camd put the safe on the truck with the lift and go back to back and use the lift gate as the ramp and transfer in into the cross country truck.

Somebody that you know in the contracting business should be able to load it for you.Think about plumbers who have a backhoe,anyone with a forklift,bobcat type loader,tractor,ect.I drove out to Broken Arrow and brought mine back on a trailor,they loaded it with a forklift.Shipping weight on mine was 1960# with the pallet and box,so it was a job moving it into the house. Pete

Have you considered selling this safe and buying another when you arrive at your own location. We sold our last safe rather than move it an have no regrets about doing so.

How about renting one of those "Pods" put all you can in it and have them move your stuff.
You may then be able to rent a much smaller truck for the rest of your stuff and save some cash.
Just my .02 cents

i had a similar situation last summer.
had to move a gun safe and 4 full size mechanic snap on tool boxes 11 hours away.

we loaded the stuff fairly easy. since, as you said, they wont rent lift gates for distance hauls... we rented a full size moving truck and a lift gate truck for the day. walked the gun safe out to the lift gate truck, put it lift gate truck along with the tool boxes. (hairy doesnt even describe picking up the tool boxes, but no accidents and every went up alright.) after this was done we backed the two trucks together and walked/wheeled them onto the moving truck. there was a slight height difference. it didnt matter for the gun safe as we laid it on its side at this point. the tool boxes were a different story...we had to jack each one up and use torsion bars to get the boxes onto the other truck.
would of been easier to just take out the damn drawers. the boxes weight about 2000-3000 lbs a peice.

to get the safe out... we didnt rent another lift gate truck... we lined it with blankets and slid it down the ramp and stood it up. it was pretty hairy, but we got it done. but the safe was only 1000 pounds. its not a huge one.
we ended up taking all the drawers out of the tool boxes then rolling the cages of the boxes down and then putting the drawers back in.

after this i wish i would of bought the gun safe that breaks down into pieces!

the pods are an option, but ended up being alot more than we wanted to spend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about renting one of those "Pods" put all you can in it and have them move your stuff.
You may then be able to rent a much smaller truck for the rest of your stuff and save some cash.
Just my .02 cents</div></div>
last time I look it was close to the same price as a moving truck
but can you load up the safe your self

Just moved a big safe for a friend. We used pieces of PVC pipe as rollers. Cut a bunch to size, tilt the safe and place pieces of the pipe under the safe, then roll it to the lift, much easier than walking it. You need an extra person to move the pieces from the back to the front as you go. I think we used six pieces in all. Each was a little wider than the safe. We then used cargo straps to lower it into the back of a pickup F250 Super-duty and the same pipe to roll it into and out of the bed. Much easier than I thought with four people total.

Why move it? Sell it, get another where you're going, specify inside delivery and setup.

The places that deliver sod have those spyder fork lifts on the back of their trucks. For a few buck maybe you can have one of those swing by and load it.

A Graffunder retains value very well. You'd be better off selling it and replacing it when you get moved. Assuming it's in good shape and hasn't been abused, I've known folks who get at or near what they originally paid for it.

Moving a safe cross country is not cheap, no matter how it's done.

I doubt a bobcat is going to lift that. If you're going to rent something with forks to lift it into a truck, why wouldn't you rent...wait for it.....a FORKLIFT!

Seriously though, they are designed to lift heavy stuff.

I wouldn't ship a safe for the same reason I don't buy bullets or hazmat anywhere but from a local seller. Getting it there is just not cost effective.

Greg

What about a local person with a tractor thats got a front end bucket. They may also have a set of forks for the tractor. My bossman has a set-up like that we use it alot for lifting wierd and heavy things for metal building most roll-up doors and such.

The tractor can use his rear attchments to help counter the weight up front.

Just a thought.

I rented a forklift at the local rental place to unload my lathe from the trailer... was under $100 for the time I used it. Needed a heavy duty truck to haul it home though. I would sure be careful knowing what those axles can hold on the truck, and whatever else you are loading on the truck along with the safe. I would look at the sell and re-buy option as there is a good chance you could call it a wash money wise, and end up without the hassle of the move... depends on how much time you have to wait for it to sell though, as a large size safe isn't quick to sell or easy to move into a house.

Good luck!

With respect...never move a safe of that weight on or with equipment using pneumatic tires. Stability is minimal and once you get that weight (with its high center of gravity) moving in a direction you didn't intend, well, it's all bad.

Leave it in PA as you know you can't use any of those guns in Cali
frown.gif

Really, if you can find a cross country driver he may be willing to haul on a trip if you pay him right and don't make it out of his way.
Buddy used to do this with his trail rig when heading out to Utah each year. Worked and was fairly cheap.
Chad

The larger Uhauls have pull out ramps. If you have an incline in your drive way park the truck facing down the incline, pull out ramp, roll on. Can't guarantee it's wide enough or will hold the weight, but i did this not long ago moving my sister in-laws heavier furniture.

...and they have a ramp weight limit on them. I am pretty sure your safe would exceed that limit.

Thanks for the replies guys... several good points to consider here.

Selling it is not an option because I cannot buy an equivalent safe for what I bought this one for. Plus, I see it as an heirloom and want to keep it and hand it down.

Good call on the pneumatic tire issue. I'll call a few equipment rental places to see how feasable it is to have a forklift brought to the house for an hour or so. Seems to be the best bet.

Back the truck up to the safe and lay it over in the bed on its back (you are not going to want to drive it cross country standing up anyways). It can be surprisingly easy to do, I have done without help with a refigerator that weighed alot more than myself. Good luck on your move.

A trailer made to haul Heavy stuff would be the ticket. The one used to move my safe(3500lbs) lowered itself to the ground. Took 2 little dudes that didn't weigh 135 each to load and unload it into position with a pallet jack. Buy the trailer and move safes for folks in your spare time when you get in your new spot. Lots of folks wonder how they are gonna move that safe.................. OK I called the guy that moved my safe to find out more about the trailer unless you want to go into moving these things a 15 to 20k trailer is not really an option. He suggested a safe moving company in each location one to load and one to unload and install.