• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Identifying Bullet Hole w/ Colored Bullets

davjones

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2011
Missouri, USA
I read Jason Baney's article "Long-Range Load Development on load testing a load range. He used colored Sharpie's to mark the tip of his bullets to identify them in the target. To help see the color he used a q-tip dipped in alcohol. He touched the buller hole with q-tip and some of the color came off onto the q-tip. I found that if you soak the q-tip in the alcohol and hold it against the bullet that as the alcohol was absorbed into the paper the color also went into the paper making the hole much easier to identify. I use a white "butcher" paper that I bought at Sam's in a roll. I have attached a photo of a target I shot at 600 yds with nine different power charges.
[img:center]
P1010026.jpg
[/img]
As you can see, you can put two colors on a bullet and both colors will come through.

You only need to coat the tip of the bullet almost up to the oglive, no need to go further than that.

The method has help me do load testing at longer ranges and I thought I would share this with those that are interested.

Re: Identifying Bullet Hole w/ Colored Bullets

Thanks for this. I read the same article and wondered how well this worked. Sure beats walking downrange between shots and it always gave me the willies to think of having someone stand off to one side of the target while I was shooting.

Re: Identifying Bullet Hole w/ Colored Bullets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for this. I read the same article and wondered how well this worked. Sure beats walking downrange between shots and it always gave me the willies to think of having someone stand off to one side of the target while I was shooting. </div></div>

You have to test your colors, Brown and Orange for me looked about the same. I tested the different colors at 100 yds before trying them at 600. Blue, Red, Green, and Brown or Orange seem to work the best for me. Good Luck, hope this makes testing easier for you.