• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes If I could only have one...

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2006
    New Mexico
    www.opticsthoughts.com
    Generally, I have a list of recommendation in different scope categories and price ranges that I occasionally update.

Those recommendations are my take on what most shooters would find to be the best fit in for a given application. That is really nothing more than an educated guess on my part. More over that is not necessarily what I would choose for my personal needs since I have developed some very personal and sometimes narrowly focused preferences.

I have arbitrarily defined a few categories and listed the scopes that I would pick for myself if I could only have one.

If I could only have one?. » OpticsThoughts

Let me know what you think.

ILya

I think it's nice to know what folks would want if they could only have one.

As of today if I could only have one...

• Long range precision scope: Premier Heritage 5-25x56mm Gen2XR
    • General purpose scope to use for everything on a bolt gun: Nightforce F1 3-15x50mm MLR2 (This could change to Steiner 3-15, but will know when i finally mount it)
    • Red dot: Aimpoint Micro with 2 MOA dot

I didn't do the other categories because I personally don't like the idea of a 1 size fits all deal with certain applications... for example... I prefer an ACOG TA31H-G with an Aimpoint Micro offset over a 1-4x or 1-6x scope.

Last edited:
    Generally, I have a list of recommendation in different scope categories and price ranges that I occasionally update.

Those recommendations are my take on what most shooters would find to be the best fit in for a given application. That is really nothing more than an educated guess on my part. More over that is not necessarily what I would choose for my personal needs since I have developed some very personal and sometimes narrowly focused preferences.

I have arbitrarily defined a few categories and listed the scopes that I would pick for myself if I could only have one.

If I could only have one?. » OpticsThoughts

Let me know what you think.

ILya

Very interesting. Given your knowledge and background, I would like to see a more detailed explanation as to why, for each scope.

I enjoy your site. Thanks for all the information you put out.

My reasoning is very simple, really, but first I want to re-iterate that these are the choices specific to me and my needs, rather than general recommendations.

As a basic disclaimer, I also want to add that I got into shooting comparatively late since where I grew up you only saw guns on TV. I am not a particularly good shot and I do not have much formal training. I do have a fair amount of trigger time behind me, so I have some very specific preferences.

Long range precision scope: March 5-40x56 offers an extremely wide magnification range which saves me from needing a spotter. I like the basic reticle with a floating center dot and the feel of the turrets is the best I have seen to date. 5 mrad per turn is not optimal, but I can live with it. Tight eye relief flexibility is not a major issue for me either when long range precision shooting is involved. This scope is also a bit lighter than most of its competition.

General purpose scope to us for everything on a bolt gun: This was a close call between Premier LT and March 3-24x42. Ultimately, Premier's 50mm objective is a little better for low light and 15x is plenty for general purpose use. Other good quality scopes of similar magnification range are almost invariable much heavier which I dislike. Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 is another option, but I have not tested it yet.

General purpose scopes to use for everything on a semi-auto: just about all my semi-auto rifles are AR-15 variants and the largest of them sports an 18" barrel. I generally prefer smallish scopes on ARs and like to have comparatively low magnifications available. March's 1-8x24 is compact, fairly light and excellent optically and mechanically. The reticle needs work, but it is usable. 8x top end is plenty for the distances I am willing to explore with my ARs. If March or someone else made a 1.5-12x32FFP scope I would go with that one, but 1-8x24 is good enough. Leupold Mark 8 1-8x24 is a nice scope as well, but I am not convinced I like the squeeze turrets until I test them carefully. IOR 1-10x26 is too heavy for this application, although a nice design.

Big game hunting scope: I first toyed with calling this category "conventional bolt guns", but that was too vague. I have seen just about every hunting scope out there and the Leica ER is as good as anything for a bit less money. The view is spectacular. The eyepiece is very forgiving. Tracking with the exposed turret is dead on. Reticle selection is reasonable. 3.5-14x is sufficient range of magnification to tackle everything other than charging rhinos.

Low range variable that can do both CQB and mid-range: I could have selected the March 1-8x24 for this or something similar, but in this category performance at 1x becomes more important. Moreover, I want that 1x performance to be good with and without reticle illumination. SWFA SS 1-6x24 is excellent at 1x even without a illumination, while dialing up to 6x takes me pretty far out.

Red dot: Micro Aimpoint is rugged and the battery last forever. It is also small enough to serve as a supplementary sight if need be,

ILya

My reasoning is very simple, really, but first I want to re-iterate that these are the choices specific to me and my needs, rather than general recommendations.

As a basic disclaimer, I also want to add that I got into shooting comparatively late since where I grew up you only saw guns on TV. I am not a particularly good shot and I do not have much formal training. I do have a fair amount of trigger time behind me, so I have some very specific preferences.

Long range precision scope: March 5-40x56 offers an extremely wide magnification range which saves me from needing a spotter. I like the basic reticle with a floating center dot and the feel of the turrets is the best I have seen to date. 5 mrad per turn is not optimal, but I can live with it. Tight eye relief flexibility is not a major issue for me either when long range precision shooting is involved. This scope is also a bit lighter than most of its competition.

General purpose scope to us for everything on a bolt gun: This was a close call between Premier LT and March 3-24x42. Ultimately, Premier's 50mm objective is a little better for low light and 15x is plenty for general purpose use. Other good quality scopes of similar magnification range are almost invariable much heavier which I dislike. Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 is another option, but I have not tested it yet.

General purpose scopes to use for everything on a semi-auto: just about all my semi-auto rifles are AR-15 variants and the largest of them sports an 18" barrel. I generally prefer smallish scopes on ARs and like to have comparatively low magnifications available. March's 1-8x24 is compact, fairly light and excellent optically and mechanically. The reticle needs work, but it is usable. 8x top end is plenty for the distances I am willing to explore with my ARs. If March or someone else made a 1.5-12x32FFP scope I would go with that one, but 1-8x24 is good enough. Leupold Mark 8 1-8x24 is a nice scope as well, but I am not convinced I like the squeeze turrets until I test them carefully. IOR 1-10x26 is too heavy for this application, although a nice design.

Big game hunting scope: I first toyed with calling this category "conventional bolt guns", but that was too vague. I have seen just about every hunting scope out there and the Leica ER is as good as anything for a bit less money. The view is spectacular. The eyepiece is very forgiving. Tracking with the exposed turret is dead on. Reticle selection is reasonable. 3.5-14x is sufficient range of magnification to tackle everything other than charging rhinos.

Low range variable that can do both CQB and mid-range: I could have selected the March 1-8x24 for this or something similar, but in this category performance at 1x becomes more important. Moreover, I want that 1x performance to be good with and without reticle illumination. SWFA SS 1-6x24 is excellent at 1x even without a illumination, while dialing up to 6x takes me pretty far out.

Red dot: Micro Aimpoint is rugged and the battery last forever. It is also small enough to serve as a supplementary sight if need be,

ILya

Interesting that you note tight eye relief being attributed to the March 5-40x56 ILya. I do recall reading another members thoughts on here about this scope and he reckoned eye relief was just as forgiving as the Steiner. I have only had a brief play with the March but didn't find it any less forgiving than my NF 3.5-15x56.

KWilson, the eye relief on the March is comparatively tight next to the scopes I tested, but it is about the same as the S&B 5-25x56, so it is very serviceable. Steiner is s little better in that regard.

ILys

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

If i could have only one scope on a bolt gun.
    Current offerings S&B PM 2 3-20x50, low enough magnification for close range work, plenty mag on top end for longer range.
    Plenty of adjustment, 50 mm objective helps in low light conditions.

I'm currently waiting for the new Hensoldt 3,5-26x56 to be available though.

Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 seems to be the best bet on a one only scope buy.

My vote for a general purpose "all-around" scope for a bolt-gun would be the S&B PM II 4-16x42.
    I like the lower profile of this scope compared to some of its competitors.