• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors If I get a thunderbeast for my 338LM ???

Re: If I get a thunderbeast for my 338LM ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lot of brakes but better than multiple suppressors. </div></div>

A suppressor dedicated to a caliber is always quieter than one that is overbore. If one size fits all the only caliber suppressor made would be a .50 and there would be thread adapters to use it on everything.

Typically the closer the bullet travels past the baffles the more effective the suppressor is.

If you hold everything else constant that is usually true-- but here we're talking about a .338 suppressor that has over 50% more volume than its .308 counterpart. There is some give an take and the 338P-1/338BA sound great on a .308 or similar cartridges. The downside is the extra weight and volume.

The effect of suppressor aperture size is generally overstated on the internet. Overall baffle design and volume are usually more important.

hope this helps

-z

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyMP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A suppressor dedicated to a caliber is always quieter than one that is overbore. If one size fits all the only caliber suppressor made would be a .50 and there would be thread adapters to use it on everything.

Typically the closer the bullet travels past the baffles the more effective the suppressor is. </div></div>
Check out silencerforum.com for specific testing data on several 30 cal suppressors used on 556 hosts. On average, the data shows the 30 cal cans to be quieter at the ear (though usually louder at the muzzle) than the 556 suppressors.
My Titan 338 suppressor is definitely quieter on my 308 than my 30 cal can.
I think that as long as the OP is ok with the additional size of a 338 suppressor, he is likely to be happy with the level of suppression on all of the calibers mentioned.

OP, I have tried it, and the .338BA on a .308 is noticeably quieter than a 30P-1 on the same rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyMP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="color: #CC0000">A suppressor dedicated to a caliber is always quieter than one that is overbore</span>. If one size fits all the only caliber suppressor made would be a .50 and there would be thread adapters to use it on everything.

Typically the closer the bullet travels past the baffles the more effective the suppressor is. </div></div>

That is not true. A well built baffle stack will suppress any sub caliber more then adequately. More volume to a smaller cartridge is always going to lend itself to suppressing the shot better. As Zak has said the exit aperture size has nothing to do with it unless you are talking 50BMG to 17hmr....