• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If the 338LM is outlawed: caliber for rechamber?

cybersniper

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2006
Spain
www.cybersniper.com
There is a possibility that rifles in caliber 338 LM are outlawed in several European countries next year.

If so, what caliber would you rechamber your rifle to?

eduardo

Re: If the 338LM is outlawed: caliber for rechamber?

Depends on how the law is written. If it is only the 338LM then I'd simply rechamber to the 338 Norma Magnum. I'm sure that it's due to the "military use" of the LM so the NM will be just fine and you'll be just as happy.

J

I'd make a 337LM so a 338 wouldn't chamber...
smile.gif

You could prob get away with the improved version seeing how its not the same case. If you cant then go directly to the 338-408 cheytac.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could prob get away with the improved version seeing how its not the same case. If you cant then go directly to the 338-408 cheytac. </div></div>

Plus one here

.30-338 would probably be least expensive. There are 240 grain .30 SMK's.

Re: If the 338LM is outlawed: caliber for rechamb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.30-338 would probably be least expensive. There are 240 grain .30 SMK's. </div></div>

But what about the fun factor?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cybersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a possibility that rifles in caliber 338 LM are outlawed in several European countries next year.

eduardo </div></div>

Where did you hear that and what countries are those?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cybersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a possibility that rifles in caliber 338 LM are outlawed in several European countries next year.

eduardo </div></div>

By your statement, I assume that civilian .50 BMG's are not legal there?

Under what statutes or regulations would this go into effect? Anything .33 caliber and up or just the 338 Lapua?

Where´s that information from ?

Hearsay ?? Rumors ??

Best
2RECON

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneyardstare</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cybersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a possibility that rifles in caliber 338 LM are outlawed in several European countries next year.

eduardo </div></div>

Where did you hear that and what countries are those?

</div></div>
Spain is thinking seriously about it ( I have been consulted by the goverment) and they say "other" euro countries are doing the same research for a possible "militarizing" of the caliber.
I dont know which countries but they said "several".
Eduardo

PS: Of course my consulting stated clearly and with facts, that illegalizing calibers isnt the way to go... when you let go weapons law violations escape unpunished. The law abiding citizens should be allowed to all equipment and the fellowns should be put behind bars. As simple as that.

id move

@cybersniper,

we both know that country´s like france and italy don´t allow the use of "millitary"-rounds.(7,62x51,9x19)
I don´t think that it is possible to outlaw a single caliber like 338LM AFTER there are thousands of rifles out in public.
I don´t think you can outlaw the 338LM, and don´t look at .50BMG, the Chey-Tac´s or a 338RUM / 338Norma.Where start,where to stop...??
I realy don´t think it´ll work.....
Best
2RECON

Dumb question then? Is the .308 illegal there? It has higher pressures than the 7.62 and may damage a military weapon. how 'bout 30-06? It was never a Spanish military chambering.

BTW, I have a really beautifully hand engraved Santa Barbara Mauser in .308. Sitting in a thumbhole stock.

As far as i know the 308,the 223 9x19 are illigal in france and italy.
One of the reasons that they shoot 7-08..9x18Police and so on

Best
2RECON

Its really how the law is written . But there a few 338 rounds that are just as good or very close to it.

the issue here is if you had to rechamber a rifle so i would say you already have a 338 Lap bolt face and action the correct length aswell as the barrel. The best option would be the 338 Norma as it uses the same bolt, mags, barrel and most components. Dont think that things people already have wont become illegal we have had 2 buybacks one for rifles and the other for handguns. Their are also considerations in some euro countries that wildcats are not allowed only factory chamberings and the brass must match the calibre so you cant use 7.62 mil cases to make 7mm08 or use a 7mm08 case to make a 260rem.

The thing to watch though if the 338 Lapua becomes classed as a military calibre then make sure the 338 Norma is not on the list at this stage the 338 Norma is not a military calibre so you should be fine.

It's true you can make a relatively inexpensive conversion to another .338 caliber. But it just makes me sick to hear of one more way to eliminate guns from your possession.

Really sad to hear about the threat on wildcats as well. we wouldn't have a lot of stuff if it weren't for wildcats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2RECON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@cybersniper,

we both know that country´s like france and italy don´t allow the use of "millitary"-rounds.(7,62x51,9x19)
I don´t think that it is possible to outlaw a single caliber like 338LM AFTER there are thousands of rifles out in public.
I don´t think you can outlaw the 338LM, and don´t look at .50BMG, the Chey-Tac´s or a 338RUM / 338Norma.Where start,where to stop...??
I realy don´t think it´ll work.....
Best
2RECON
</div></div>

Not altogether true about France.

You can own NATO calibers IF you have a class 8 license.

And I thought our freedoms were being infringed apon....

Too bad there arent enough shooters in your country to say "come and take them!"

Why couldnt you order supplies from the US and load anyways??

Nobody said that laws need to be logical or just. In Spain you can own a 308win... in bolt action. Semi autos are a no no. 9x19 is OK. 556x45/223 not legal not even in bolt action.

9X19 and .45 ACP are nowadays legal in Italy. It was not always so.

If one needs to rechamber 338 LM them 300 LM which is also known as 30-338 Lapua is the way to go. It WILL burn throats. A friend of mine burned a barrel throat useless with 700 rounds.

Then again a few friends of mine have been playing with drivebanded copper solids in 300 LM and the barrel may last forever. At least it does not heat the at all the same rate as with regular bullets.

Trajectorywise a 300 LM with 240 Sierras will drive circles around any 338 LM loading.

RANT MODE ON
Spain, Italy and France have historically had stupid "military calibers not allowed to civilians" -laws. How many political murders have these regulations prevented since WWII in those countries ? The true body count saved by this regulation is 0, nada, zip, zilch. Why ? Because the criminals and terrorists by defination do not obey firearm laws when they are murdering people in cold blood.

That person who has been consulted by Spain officials on this issue should tell them to pound sand because ETA and their pals will not obey this regulation anymore they obey laws prohibiting blowing innocent people to bits with stolen military explosives.

RANT MODE OFF

TA, you're all right, but politicians don't seems to think as you...

But the situation in France is not so bad :
we can buy some shooting or hunting rifles with a shooting or hunting licence, and can have out to 7 military handguns or rifles in military calibers with specials autorisations that a regular licenced shooter CAN obtain...

Only full auto is illegal, but military assault rifles can be bought in semi-auto configuration.

Regards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the goal is to stay as close as possilbe to the 338LM I would do a 338 Edge (338/300 ultra) for sure!

Oneshot </div></div>
338 Edge will not work in a rifle chambered for 338 Lapua as they are diferent boltfaces the only calibre to RECHAMBER to that has CIP or SAAMi specs will be the 338 Norma Mag it has almost the same ballistics same boltface and bore diameter. to go to a 300 Lapua would require correct headstamped brass and CIP / SAAMI certification in some countries so it would also be out. So the simple thing to do is cut the thread off and rechamber the barrel to 338 Norma mag and then shoot no other changes.

Their is also talk here in Australia to restrict 338 Lapua and other cartriges due to some political issues and availability of projectiles that are not designed for sporting or match use.

Might consider the .338-378Wby...

Casehead diameter is approx the same, might need a bit of tweeking on the extractor, but otherwise just ream for the belt and maybe a bit of extra case length. Be sure to headspace on the shoulder not the belt.

Could also possibly go with an Ackley Improved shoulder, would take just a few minutes of careful reaming. ETA was thinking .338LM AI here

Probably have enough barrel shank if you have any kind of Palma 5" initial contour to part off some of the chamber and re-thread the barrel. ETA was thinking .338 Norma mag here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might consider the .338-378Wby...

Casehead diameter is approx the same, might need a bit of tweeking on the extractor, but otherwise just ream for the belt and maybe a bit of extra case length. Be sure to headspace on the shoulder not the belt.

Could also possibly go with an Ackley Improved shoulder, would take just a few minutes of careful reaming. ETA was thinking .338LM AI here

Probably have enough barrel shank if you have any kind of Palma 5" initial contour to part off some of the chamber and re-thread the barrel. ETA was thinking .338 Norma mag here </div></div>

The 378 case head is right in between a magnum and a lapua.

And what will happen to those that already own a 338 lapua? the government wil buy their weapons opr reimburse what they paid??

eduardo </div></div>
If the Europeans write their gun laws like the California legislature, then you can rebarrel to 337LM.

You guys left out Lazzeronis 8.59 TITAN. .590 bolt face

I had an MCRT chambered in this round.

Here in Slovenia there is no such talk yet... All up to .50cal are legal. However nothing is certain especially if some incidents (such as in Germany) happen then there is a competition going on between media and government who will win in the lets ban common sense game...
Its getting worse by day this gun scare thinking and more and more evidence is that it's done on purpose and not random save the day improvisation by the incompetent governments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And what will happen to those that already own a 338 lapua? the government wil buy their weapons opr reimburse what they paid?? </div></div>

Never thought I'd see the day someone needed a 338 LM / AI reamer. Might be coming to a euro country near you tho......
wink.gif

Cheers,

Doc

Common sense speaking here = foregin language to all goverment beaurcrats, so if you can read this you understand common sense and are not a goverment beaurcrat.

Just don't sell the AP and API bullets in that caliber to civilians.

I think I´ll try a 338 norma..
laugh.gif

side note on the calibers legal/allowed for civilian use here in Italy. 9x19 is out as it's a "military" caliber, so we have 9x21.
762x51 is out so we have .308 My AI is still stamped 762x51...
.223 is fine, no 556. I have a colt carbine where the barrel is stamped .556 nato- that's got 3 x's stamped over it..lol
.338 is not an official military caliber....yet, though they use it. Biggest prob here is that guns are catalogued indavidualy by model, not caliber, so not all .308's for example can be had here... same for all other calibers. No .50 here either, though something in 20mm is about to be passed...mad really but there ya go.. I hear the UK is looking at .338 very closely....getting worse there, half the reason I moved lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And what will happen to those that already own a 338 lapua? the government wil buy their weapons opr reimburse what they paid?? </div></div>

Never thought I'd see the day someone needed a 338 LM / AI reamer. Might be coming to a euro country near you tho......
wink.gif

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Sorry Doc that wont work as you can safley fire the 338 lapua in the improved 338 Lapua chamber you have to make it so the 338 Lapua can not be chambered and fired. the 338 Norma is the better option. We have people looking at calibres here aswell and yes the 338 lapua is being looked at even though the AP and API is not available to the public. the other problem is things like the 408 they dont have commercialy available hunting or match type projectiles available for them but people just have to build one if it is in 370, 458 or even necked to 510 their is a sporting reason and hunting and expanding match type projectiles but the solid alloy projectiles and people having to make them and boast about it makes it hard on everyone.
Lets hope it does not happen but i think here 408 and 416 Barret will be added to the restricted list at a minimum.
The 50BMG is restricted so a guy is trying to make a 50 improved and also neck it to 458 using copper projectiles and them commercial sell it. this only makes troubles for people doing the right thing.

.338 lm is now also restricted cal here in Ireland, you hafta have a dam good reason to prove why you should own one

I think ill be going the .30 338 route myself

I've not heard any rumours about banning the .338LM or the .50BMG here in the UK as yet. What they are doing is making sure you have access to a range thats cleared for these weapons, and that the difficult part.

As an alternative to the the .338LM, has anybody considered the 9.3x64? Apparently the Russian military has looked at this round rather than going the .338LM route...

It makes little point for me to criticise legal climates. They are beyond both my understanding and my ability to influence.

While I can clearly envy those who possess and shoot the .338LM, the chambering never had any personal appeal for me. Just too much of a good thing.

For my puroses, if I could only have on rifle, and I could shoot well enough that good marksmanship reliably delivered a DRT shot (Dead Right There), it would be a .30-'06. If that was illegal for purposes of military similarity, it'd be using the .280.

The .30-'06 needs no intro, needs no backup, needs no excuses. It works, it's available, it's as close to ideal for pretty much any purpose as the average mortal can manage.

In its absence, the .280 makes moderate sense. Factory hunting ammo can be had that arrives at 1000yd still doing 1280fps. The trajectories are not too terribly inferior to the .338LM, and honestly, if it doesn't deliver enough terminal energy, I'm a ring-tailed cat.

That works, for me...

Greg

The 280 is a good round and if you improve it turns into a great round.

For US people even the concept that one needs to apply for a license to own ANY firearms might a be little difficult to understand. At least outside Washington DC and NYC and similar places.

When I applied for the gun license for my 338 Lapua Magnum in 1999 I doubt even the police knew then what it was. Got the license basically no questions asked.

I applied for .284 Win bolt action rifle this spring. I had to prove that a) I do practice target shooting b) I do practice target shooting that has official rules c) the rifle complied with the rules. Of course they did background checks but they were ok and despite that I had to prove I practice target shooting.

Anyway I had to prove the police that I am no threat with the .284 Win despite the fact that I already had a 338 Lapua Mag in my possession. Imagine that.

Anyway soon I will have a .284 Win that is SOO civil and less threatening. Despite the fact that it has BETTER trajectories out to 1500m than my present day favorite 338 LM reload (250 Scenar 907m/s).