• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors If using 22 conversion in an ar, could you use a 22 can

gixxerk8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
Oregon
Just curious, if I put a Spikes 22 conversion in an ar platform. Would I be able to use my spectre II or would I have to use my centerfire can, which I wouldn't want to do.
While I'm asking stuped questions. Would you use a 22 conversion in an AR? I have 22s, I was just thinking of something else to screw around with.

Just curious, if I put a Spikes 22 conversion in an ar platform. Would I be able to use my spectre II or would I have to use my centerfire can, which I wouldn't want to do.
While I'm asking stuped questions. Would you use a 22 conversion in an AR? I have 22s, I was just thinking of something else to screw around with.

Yes you can use your Spectre II on a 22 AR.

Personally I would not waste my money on a dedicated .22 AR, I would buy a .22 conversion kit for my AR and at that point it would be a multi cal rifle.

Buy yourself a dedicated 22 upper. Much more accurate. 5.56 barrels do not have the correct twist rate to properly stabilize 22 bullets.

DPMS, JP Enterprises, and Nordic Components .22LR uppers are all based off of a similar design that is known to easily digest just about any .22LR ammo you feed it. I think the DPMS are most readily available of the three. Nordic uppers have been virtually unobtainable since launching July 2010, but are worth it if you can get your hands on one.

Buy yourself a dedicated 22 upper. Much more accurate. 5.56 barrels do not have the correct twist rate to properly stabilize 22 bullets.

Oh yeah, I didn't even think of the twist rate. I was thinking more in the line of possably being loose and bouncing down the barell and into the baffels

You will need a spacer.

An ARs threading for a flash hider is longer than the .4" inches that your .22lr requires.

Some suppressor manufacturers have offered their .22lr cans with the longer threading.

I'm using an older Colt upper with a 1:12 twist. It works just fine and matches the upper on my 614.

I've used faster twist uppers without issue.

If you shoot allot of .22, I'd dedicate an upper for that purpose. It helps to get ALL the copper out first.

If you're looking for ultimate accuracy then purpose built .22lr upper may be for you.

You will need a spacer.

An ARs threading for a flash hider is longer than the .4" inches that your .22lr requires.

Some suppressor manufacturers have offered their .22lr cans with the longer threading.

I'm using an older Colt upper with a 1:12 twist. It works just fine and matches the upper on my 614.

I've used faster twist uppers without issue.

If you shoot allot of .22, I'd dedicate an upper for that purpose. It helps to get ALL the copper out first.

If you're looking for ultimate accuracy then purpose built .22lr upper may be for you.

I agree with this. I decided to bite the bullet and go with an M&P 15-22 that I sent off to Mile High to have the barrel threaded properly for my sparrow. The bird cage flash hider is a thread protector now, so its a slick setup. I don't have to dirty up my AR, and the light weight of the M&P is very nice. I have children, so that was a consideration for me. The setup is one of my favorites to shoot, now just to find some dang 22 ammo! I also use this setup for new shooter training, which has been excellent for the purpose.