• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you could only have one tripod…

verdugo60

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    I spent time on the phone with a girl from RRS stuff yesterday. She was really nice but didn’t strike me as a shooter or someone that could guide me through the nuances of picking a tripod from them. So I come to the brain trust!

I am 6 ft tall and need a tripod that I don’t have to hunch over for glassing at matches. Will be used in NRL Hunter matches to first glass, and then shoot from. I have an ARCA RRS bino cinch and like that system for switching between rifle and binos. Will use it spotting at PRS style matches too, and some ELR.

I’m leaning towards the Anvil 30 for clamping in and maybe a plate for a gamechanger to plop on for shooting or binos when I don’t have time or don’t want to actually clamp.

I will also potentially carry this hunting but that’s not my main use. I may fly to matches at some point with it so being reasonably compact is ideal.

So, which RRS tripod should I get?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Beefmanne
    You were probably talking to someone on the photo side not the soar side.

34L is a good all around, I’m 6’2 and used that for a while. Now I have a 24L anvil for light stuff and TVC-44 for heavier spotting and RO stuff.

Reactions: verdugo60
    24L is what you seek for the best all around RRS. Anvil - 30 head and they have a new attachment head coming out soon as well that you could put on top of the anvil via Arca for optics that’s much better for spotting then un clip it to shoot from the anvil if needed.

You were probably talking to someone on the photo side not the soar side.

34L is a good all around, I’m 6’2 and used that for a while. Now I have a 24L anvil for light stuff and TVC-44 for heavier spotting and RO stuff.
    I may end up with several but they’re spendy. If you could only have one for a few years would you do the 24L or the 34L? I’m leaning 24L but don’t want to give up too much stability wise.

24L is what you seek for the best all around RRS. Anvil - 30 head and they have a new attachment head coming out soon as well that you could put on top of the anvil via Arca for optics that’s much better for spotting then un clip it to shoot from the anvil if needed.
    Thanks for your input. How much stability loss are you seeing vs the 34 or similar? Sounds like you say best all around, I’m leaning this way for weight savings, etc.

Not sure if anyone has them in stock, I may order direct from RRS.

So I hunt and shoot PRS with my 24L. You lose a little but honestly it’s not bad at all. The 24L is the best all around because the 34 is just too heavy to pack very far on a hunt

@verdugo60 You must have spoken to Camille. I have helped guide her with what most shooters are after and why but yes, very much a photography Rep. My direct number is 385-248-0800 if you want to skip the 888 and 855 toll free numbers that ring everyone.

I am right at 73" and I have used the 24L, specifically the TFCT-24L since they have been designed. I still run the very first one ever made, which is going to get turned into a plaque on the wall, when I move over to the ARC version once they are in stock. I've taken it to every PRS match I have shot while working for RRS. I have taken it to my military training events when applicable, and it has gone to Hat Creek training as well, so very versatile.

The only time I have strayed from the 24L was on a longer hike in Montana when we came out with the Ascend line of tripods. Downsizing was extremely worth it as those hikes were brutal.

If you never said hunting I would probably push you towards the TVC-22i as it is simple and easy but doesn't like to be on the side of a pack as much as the other options with more extensions.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Michael

24L w anvil 30. I'm 6'0" and have used that tripod for everything from backpack hunting to PRS style matches. I drew a CO mountain goat tag last year and used it for scouting and hunting. It spent just over 2 weeks with me above 11000' and it was perfect IMHO. Other tripod companies have gotten close to leg stability and lockup but no one has gotten close on the ball head which is the critical part of the interface and has the largest affect on stability and wobble.

@verdugo60 You must have spoken to Camille. I have helped guide her with what most shooters are after and why but yes, very much a photography Rep. My direct number is 385-248-0800 if you want to skip the 888 and 855 toll free numbers that ring everyone.

I am right at 73" and I have used the 24L, specifically the TFCT-24L since they have been designed. I still run the very first one ever made, which is going to get turned into a plaque on the wall, when I move over to the ARC version once they are in stock. I've taken it to every PRS match I have shot while working for RRS. I have taken it to my military training events when applicable, and it has gone to Hat Creek training as well, so very versatile.

The only time I have strayed from the 24L was on a longer hike in Montana when we came out with the Ascend line of tripods. Downsizing was extremely worth it as those hikes were brutal.

If you never said hunting I would probably push you towards the TVC-22i as it is simple and easy but doesn't like to be on the side of a pack as much as the other options with more extensions.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Michael
    Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for the info, I’ll likely call you today to order. What’s the “ARC version”? Should I hold out and order one of those? Seems like the 24L will fit the bill nicely.

Lowlight posted a video yesterday talking about tripods.

24L w anvil 30. I'm 6'0" and have used that tripod for everything from backpack hunting to PRS style matches. I drew a CO mountain goat tag last year and used it for scouting and hunting. It spent just over 2 weeks with me above 11000' and it was perfect IMHO. Other tripod companies have gotten close to leg stability and lockup but no one has gotten close on the ball head which is the critical part of the interface and has the largest affect on stability and wobble.
    I’m in CO, elk and goat hunting at altitude is no joke. How did your goat hunt go? I haven’t had any interest in goat and sheep hunting before but should probably start accumulating preference points for them (and losing some weight, lol).

Lowlight posted a video yesterday talking about tripods.
    I watched it but it didn’t specify any tripod models or pro’s and cons of each like weight, etc. Frank and Chris are both legit but don’t do any hunting as far as I know.

Him and Chris seemed like fans of the Anvil 30, which I have used on friends setups and liked pretty well.

@verdugo60 The Anvil-30 newest revision is the ARC. Unless you are buying Gen 1 still being fulfilled to some dealers the only thing you can really order now is the ARC version.

Speaking of ordering we actually shut down all backorder possibilities for the time being. Feel free to call but it wont result in an order, I can point you to which dealer will have that product first IAW FIFO. We got to a point where I couldn't/didn't have a good understanding/certainty of our lead times. I personannly do not like telling people "I don't know" when it comes to lead times. There are those people that say I don't care about the wait I just want to get on the list, then ultimately they call a month later asking about when is it ready. So for now we are focusing solely on getting out our current customer and dealer backorders and will reopen backorders when we are able to say your tripod will ship within two weeks or so. Probably summer'ish, hopefully.

I’m in CO, elk and goat hunting at altitude is no joke. How did your goat hunt go? I haven’t had any interest in goat and sheep hunting before but should probably start accumulating preference points for them (and losing some weight, lol).
    Mountain goat was one of the best hunts I've every had. I through up a hail mary before I moved to Wyoming and drew a nanny tag on 3 points. Nanny tags are a lot easier to draw vs either sex tags buy identification is really tough. If you do decide to put in I've got a killer spot where the goats naturally get pushed to by other hunters but gets overlooked because there is no water. I'll PM you a pic, don't want to derail your thread.

Mountain goat was one of the best hunts I've every had. I through up a hail mary before I moved to Wyoming and drew a nanny tag on 3 points. Nanny tags are a lot easier to draw vs either sex tags buy identification is really tough. If you do decide to put in I've got a killer spot where the goats naturally get pushed to by other hunters but gets overlooked because there is no water. I'll PM you a pic, don't want to derail your thread.
    Thanks brother, PM responded to. I don’t have any points yet for goats but I may hit you up in 2-3 years haha.

6’3”. Utterly love my 34L Anvil 30 set up. If I was going afield more with one though it’d probably be the 24L.

I’m going with the 24L as a do-all for PRS comps, NRL Hunter and hunts. Thanks for all of your input and let me know if you come across one with an Anvil 30 in stock.