• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns If you could only have one...

Re: If you could only have one...

Only 1 gun? AR15.
Only 1 pistol? Glock 19

I would have to say my One and only gun would be G22. It just fits pretty much anything from large game to small critters, and also does a hell of a job on the worst our country has to offer.

It would be a 1911 the tough choice for me would be...

my 10mm or Coonan .357mag 1911

the Coonan can shoot a wide range of ammo but the 10mm is great to!

Sig 229 in 40, just slightly over the m&p9.

4" 627 Smith if it was truly an only one sort of situation with low to no likelihood of maintenance. If I thought I would have the ability to do any sort of maintenance on the gun, it would be my carry 1911.

If we are talking the much fabled "zombie-pocalypse" or end of the world or whatever story you like to tell yourself, easly the 627. Low required maintenance, stainless, no magazines to lose, maintain, or fail, tons of ammo rolling around in floorboards throughout the U.S., and a gun that lends itself to being shot very well.

If I knew I could get mags and do maintenance, my 5" carry 1911. Just broke the 15k mark on it and no problems I cant attribute to ammo, shooter, or a bad couple of mags I had early on. It isn't pretty (anymore), but man does it shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if I could only have one...

suppressed Ruger 22/45 </div></div>

You have chosen wisely my son.

Pistol would be by Wilson in 10mm. I prefer .45 for everyday but 10 would be nice for larger critters.
IMAG0520.jpg

IMAG0523-Copy2.jpg

The only answer to a non-trivial question is: It depends.

It would depend on where I was and what potential use(s) I had for it.

In the real world it often comes down to what is available. Oddly enough, I have been in that situation a few times: Once it was a Glock 17 with subgun ammo; the other time it was a 1911 in .45ACP with 230gr ball. I would be happy with either one, and was happy with both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the real world it often comes down to what is available. Oddly enough, I have been in that situation a few times: Once it was a Glock 17 with subgun ammo; the other time it was a 1911 in .45ACP with 230gr ball. I would be happy with either one, and was happy with both. </div></div>

I am afraid of you Graham

I asked myself this question a while back, and as much as I like my G17, a combination of factors led me to decide on one of these beauties as my one-choice side arm:
lgImg3.jpg

Puts a smile on my face everytime I pull the trigger...

i would agree with you as a survival gun but as a defense gun i would prefer a heavier caliber...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skep_tic1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am afraid of you Graham </div></div>LOL!
laugh.gif

Don't be: If people were afraid of me I wouldn't need a gun to protect myself.

Only one?? How sad.

It would have to be my 1911, assuming we are only talking about sidearm options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">assuming we are only talking about sidearm options. </div></div>Good point, because if at all possible I would choose to have a rifle.
wink.gif

My Gen 3 G34.... I'll be buried with that gun.

If I could only have one sidearm as my do-all, it would have to be my Glock model 34.

WOW! 1911s, Sigs, S&Ws, Glocks, but No SF XD/XDms with 19+1 9mm!?!? It's like having a MP5 as a Sidearm!

While I love the 1911. If only one pistol it would be a Ruger security six in .357. Why a .357? Ammo can be found everyplace and .38 Spl works in it also.

Really like my Sig 220combat but I haven't owned as many handguns as some of you guys to really know. Its only my 3rd handgun but feels so good in my hands.

Glock 23. I'd say 19 but my department mandates .40 cal.

Noveske AR SBR

otherwise my G17 - just over 35,000 DOCUMENTED rounds thru it and still humming

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">many will say Glock 19 I think </div></div>

Agreed. Not much in life the average person can't get done with a Glock 19.

TTR

One pistol would be my low-end Kimber 1911. I've used this pistol since '99 for every class I've taken, every shooting event and everywhere I've had to wear some sort of sidearm. It's been shot, rained on, knocked out of my hands, sometimes cleaned, tweaked by an awesome gunsmith, half the parts have worn out/broken (on my 2nd safety and 3rd slide lock) and/or been replaced and it's been refinished twice... sunscreen + sweat on worn bluing = RUST!

No night sights, just the Jardine hook rear and stock front. No expanded mag well, no ambi-safety, no enlarged mag release, no fancy grips, no checkering. The only modern convenience I kinda long for is a rail, my Harries technique is weak.

I've even hung up my dedicated .22 and just have a .22 upper for this frame. I tried hunting with a .22 ruger single-six but it just felt so wrong to not have the 1911 along.

I'm sure if I could CCW I might dig my G23 or G27 out of storage from back when I lived in a free state, but until that day comes this is my one and only.

kimber.jpg

Yes, that is a rabbit fur gun doily. Those rabbits died for my dinner and to give my Kimber a bed. That's being green.

Only one sidearm:
Ed Brown 1911 .45 ACP, any of his models.
Doesn't depend on anything.

Kind of hard to beat the trusty Ruger GP100 as a utility sidearm.

-Versatile; a load can be found to get the job done from cheap, low recoil plinking and small game to hunting larger game effectively, or middle-weight bullets pushed fast can be used with good effect in self-defense or combat applications.

-Powerful enough for most threats though not ideal for larger game species.

-Easy to shoot well (post-trigger job).

-Reliability and durability second to none.

-High likelihood of ammo availability.

-Ammo cost less than many other chamberings.

G19 would be my other choice and is arguably a superior combat weapon than GP100 due to:

-Increased capacity
-Reduced reload speed.
-Superior ease of carry and concealment.

-Ammo availability is just as likely as with any other cartridge.
-Ammo cost less than many others.

Just my thoughts after a couple years of hunting with/carrying a GP100 extensively and a G19 to a lesser degree. I'm approaching this from the perspective of a potential survival SHTF scenario, but I don't know that this was necessarily the OP's intent.

Good thread.

My G21 SF with robar package, surefire x300 and AAC ti-rant 45, oh yeah, xs big dots too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
One pistol would be my low-end Kimber 1911. I've used this pistol since '99 for every class I've taken, every shooting event and everywhere I've had to wear some sort of sidearm. It's been shot, rained on, knocked out of my hands, sometimes cleaned, tweaked by an awesome gunsmith, half the parts have worn out/broken (on my 2nd safety and 3rd slide lock) and/or been replaced and it's been refinished twice... sunscreen + sweat on worn bluing = RUST!

No night sights, just the Jardine hook rear and stock front. No expanded mag well, no ambi-safety, no enlarged mag release, no fancy grips, no checkering. The only modern convenience I kinda long for is a rail, my Harries technique is weak.

I've even hung up my dedicated .22 and just have a .22 upper for this frame. I tried hunting with a .22 ruger single-six but it just felt so wrong to not have the 1911 along.

I'm sure if I could CCW I might dig my G23 or G27 out of storage from back when I lived in a free state, but until that day comes this is my one and only.

kimber.jpg

Yes, that is a rabbit fur gun doily. Those rabbits died for my dinner and to give my Kimber a bed. That's being green.

</div></div>

Enough Said! That is a sweet Gun/Companion!!!

Another Glock 19 (RTF2!!!!) followed closely by the 22
Rifle: my '43 Inland M1 Carbine. If it gets sold, it means I've shuffled off this mortal coil lol

IMG_02141.jpg