• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you could only own 2 caliber Rifles?

Bowjunky39

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2021
Texas
If you could own only 2 caliber rifles, 1 for hunting the other for range what would they be and why?

Let me try to be diplomatic here....
This is the kind of question that only leads to more questions, followed by "my rifles and life choices are better than yours", which eventually leads to an online forum fight about my dick being longer than your dick.

OP: Do your own research, use the search function, and learn to make your own choices instead of asking the internet for opinions to justify your choices and make you feel good about your already made choices...

Last edited:
If this is how it is going to go down, let me start swinging my dick first:
An AR15 shooting 223/556 and a multi-cal AXMC/AXSR - problem solved.

3A45B4E0-C010-4289-9EF5-43AEAEF3B229.gif

.30-06 for hunting small-ish game and banging steel out to 1000-ish
-two other candidates would be 260 Rem or 280 ai

338 edge for hunting big-ish game and banging steel from 1000-ish out
-another candidate would be some caliber of Tubb XC

Edit: and reloading setups for both for numerous scenarios

Last edited:
Easy question. ;-)

1. .223 Rem/5.56x45 from an AR-15... and if you're gonna pin me down to only one configuration it's a coin flip between 16" or 18" match grade barrel, mid-length gas, .223 Wylde chamber. Fun at the range, useful for hunting a wide variety of critters.

2. Toss up between 6mm Creedmoor and .308 Win depending on mood, wouldn't be upset with either, from a bolt gun. Different sort of range fun, opens up the potential for certain types of comps and so forth.

That's it until my mood changes in 15 mins... or tomorrow, etc.

I am working toward a 6.5 creed with a 300wsm barrel sitting on the shelf for the off chance I go out west for large game.

There was a time when I said a .222 bolt action and a .45 Colt single action revolver would do everything I needed to do.
(although my 3 gun and USPSA scores would have really suffered lol)

Now days I think I'd need a bit more rifle.

Reactions: stanley_white
223 and a 6.5 creed

And I don’t own a 6.5 creed since I can have more than 2 choices.

Last edited:
223-AR15 and a switch barrel rifle with that have interchangeable bolt faces and barrels.

Probably a .243 for general purpose and a .375H&H for larger stuff (it’s still the mandatory minimum in most of Africa for the big stuff).

223/556 and 308. You can use 223/556 for you AR-15 and a trainer bolt action and the 308 for hunting, competition, long-range (800 yards). And ammo is plentiful and cheap, plus decent barrel life.

Assuming we aren't including rimfire rifles...
And I could only have two serious use rifles,

I would choose a bolt action 30-06 and AR or AK in a common intermediate caliber [like 5.56].

If I could have three I'd forgo the 30-06 and go with 308 & 300wm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Savageman2506
Why limit to 2? Do you play golf with only 2 clubs?

View attachment 8031726
I've lowered my rounds to 6 to make it easier to stock up on ammo: 9mm, 22lr, 223/556, 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 12 gauge. If I add a round to this it'll either be 6mm arc or 300 blackout.

Last edited: