• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors If you could only own one suppressor ?

FYI-Rifle suppressors can be broken into those that can handle a high rate of fire and those for bolt action shooters, sometimes patient ones.

The first group is heavy, built like a tank and work on bolt guns also. The second group are not under waranty if you go rambo at the range and melt them.

May have missed it but a factor also is if you can find the suppressor. alot of the highly sought after suppressors are on backorder with extended lead times. alot of that thunderbeast stuff is vaporware. youre gonna wait 6 whatever months just to get the can to a dealer so you can file paperwork and wait another 6-8 months after that. My advice runs parallel with most here. get a rifle can and a pistol can. rifle if you can only afford one and get a pistol can down the road. but Ill take the advice a step further. Call silencershop. talk to one of them. see whats in stock, whats coming, and what the eta is on some of these cans you might be interested in. Silencershop makes it so stupid easy to buy a can these days its really hard to buy one from anyone else. Cant reccomend them enough.
I personally started with a deadair sandman L and my only regret is I didnt get the S. The L is just so damned long on anything maneuverable like my AR. But awesome can. And they make great muzzle devices for when youre shooting without the can on. Movie quiet on my Rem CSR.

the 308 can is able to go on a .223 but thread is going to be an issue and a 308 can is just going to be huge and heavy on the front of a .223

I disagree with this. All of my centerfire rifle cans are 7.62 cans (excluding big bore ones) and I shoot 5.56 through them all the time. Many manufacturers don't even make specific 5.56 cans because the performance and change is negligible. If you've got 10 cans and want a dedicated 5.56 can to eak out that last bit of performance and weight, sure, makes sense but that's opposite of what the OP is asking for. Also, thread is not an issue if you get a good muzzle devices system like Dead Air Keymo or Area419s.

If you meant 22 Rimfire can instead of 223, then I agree. Rimfire should be shot in a rimfire can.

Reactions: NateSavannah
Just one I’d do an OSS 7.62 ti since it has so little back pressure it runs well on most anything. Disregarding that aspect I’d do a Dominus. For all bolt gun use a TBAC Magnum because it’ll work on most anything short of a 50 bmg and is super quiet.
@BikePilot must be my brother from another mother. A Dominus CB let's you roll the area419 setup where you can switch between something like a hellfire brake and the suppressor on the fly, which is appealing. However, you lose the higher firing rate rating of the SR. So, something to consider if you want a "full auto rated" suppressor. But, I also have the OSS 7.62. I think it's a great can. I use it on several guns from bolt action to AR-15 and it has many great qualities that make it suitable across a range of different guns.

Reactions: BikePilot
Speaking of availability. TarHeel State Firearms emailed me this morning and they have a few TBAC ultra 7's and 9's in stock.

I have a TBAC Ultra 9" 6.5 that I love on a precision bolt gun, but I wouldnt put anything not full auto rated on something not dedicated to slow fire target. This might take it out of that does it all category for the OP.

Buy 2 cans

1 dedicated for rifles

1 dedicated for pistols

Id opt for an OSS helix 7.62 to guarentee it will run on a semi auto without much fuss. Honestly its not the quitest suppressor ever but it doesnt sound bad and still works well. Dont get hung up too much on sound signature, to the naked ear they will either sound good and not cause pain, or they will sound like crap and possibly be sharp on the ears.

I have 2 OSS cans, the old generation helix and the new helix QD, both 30 cal. I like them alot and they can handle any 30 cal round and smaller with no barrel restrictions.

For a pistol can I have a silencerco octane 9HD (theres now a 9HD 2.0, I dont know much about it). I dont recommend the octane or the 2.0 because they arent modular.
If you can squeeze it, get a modular can with a short and long configuration. You'll likely find later that you enjoy the shorter can in general, especially if you want it on a handgun.

Understanding your budget of $1400, I would buy the rifle can first, stash the remainder, and budget back up to afford the pistol suppressor.
I have one of these on the way. If your military or law enforcement, they will give you a significant discount. You have to apply for it on their website and then they will tell you the procedure to order.

Reactions: sboone
I keep reading that there is no “one size fits all” suppressor. I am no expert in suppressors and looking for some help.

I have about a $1400 max budget- including tax stamp and all. I was hoping to get something(s) I could run on 9mm /5.56/ 308 / 300 blackout and 300 win mag.

I am not going to buy a suppressor for each application. Maybe I could swing 2 more affordable suppressors. I am not looking to buy one now and buy another later. Just looking for most universal option in my budget.

What suppressor(s) would you run with $1400 to spend?
You have different options but this would be my choice for what you are looking for.

My wife wanted a suppressor that could run on both her bolt gun (6BRA) and ar15.

We settled on a SiCo Omega for her, bonus was it came with a free pistol suppressor, to cover that base as well. We converted the Omega to run Q's Plan B system, and put Cherry Bomb brakes on both systems.

I'm not a Q fanboi, but the Plan B system is the most elegant out there, IMO. Super simple, there's no gimmicky QD system that will launch a can if you mix up steps #9 and #10. Perfect for the wife. I know that if she was to launch a can, she would never have trust in the system again.

The SiCo Omega works great on both bolt guns and ar15's, so it's a good all arounder in that sense. I would get a dedicated pistol can though.

+1 SilencerCo Omega. I have two and love them. Last time I shot my 6.5 Creedmoor I was driving home only to realize my ear pro was still around my neck. Never noticed I’d forgotten to put it in my ears.
And if you want a pistol, pick up an Osprey later. Covers pretty much all the pistol calibers that you’d shoot suppressed, works great as well.

Reactions: kthomas
+1 SilencerCo Omega. I have two and love them. Last time I shot my 6.5 Creedmoor I was driving home only to realize my ear pro was still around my neck. Never noticed I’d forgotten to put it in my ears.
And if you want a pistol, pick up an Osprey later. Covers pretty much all the pistol calibers that you’d shoot suppressed, works great as well.

Same here... I hate shooting with buddies now that don't have suppressors. My Omega was a quick purchase... and I have been so happy with it. Shoot 556 up to 300 win mag.

Give up on the 9mm and get a Dominus. It will do very well on the others.

Give up on the 9mm and get a Dominus. It will do very well on the others.

The Dominus does seem like a very attract option for a multi-purpose can...

I agree with ditching the capability to run 9mm. You are asking too much from one can, and you will end up with a jack of all trades that doesn't do anything great.

I've got an optimus and it sounds great on 22 and 9mm, not bad on 300blk and okay on my 6.5 creedmoor if I never get another can (I will) I'd be set. If you're not shooting over 9mm diameter grab one. I've been bugging them about different things and I get an email back within an hour every time too

I keep reading that there is no “one size fits all” suppressor. I am no expert in suppressors and looking for some help.

I have about a $1400 max budget- including tax stamp and all. I was hoping to get something(s) I could run on 9mm /5.56/ 308 / 300 blackout and 300 win mag.

I am not going to buy a suppressor for each application. Maybe I could swing 2 more affordable suppressors. I am not looking to buy one now and buy another later. Just looking for most universal option in my budget.

What suppressor(s) would you run with $1400 to spend?
Why do you want a suppressor for everything? Is this a true one time, one can purchase, or will you be able to afford another in a year?
What do you shoot the most? What are the planned hosts for each?

Easy button is a all in one. Its a poor solution. IMO, far better off with "cheap" dedicated rifle and pistol cans, as so many of pointed out.

Even better with a higher quality rifle can, and then a pistol can for a PCC.

Also, suppress all the things!

got 8 suppressors now. 3 sandmen of all sizes. a Wolfman. a Mask22. a cgs mod9sk. and Hyperion and Hyperion-k.
If I could only have 1, Hyperion. If I could only have 2, Hyperion and Wolfman. If I could only have 3, Wolfman and 2 Hyperions.