• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you only had one large frame AR platform, at the $1k point....

....here's some info I posted couple years back comparing the Aero bolt catch to the "DPMS" offerings that were carried by Brownell's at the time, you might find it useful if you plan to build....this was back in 2015 so take it with a caveat that things may have changed since..
compare-d-png.7818111

just wanted to mention, that the Aero M5 bolt catches i've gotten lately from Aero Direct, have a little button at the bottom, like your DPMS one.

But you're right, because the older Aero M5 bolt catches that I bought years ago, the bottom part is indeed flat.

I have been sporting Armalite. I have a couple and they have been solid. Only problem has been availability.

Reactions: Jsp556
I need low profile. Aero handguards are high profile. The high is the older style and low is newer. If 2 or 3 years ago is considered new.....
Genuine question - if you have a handguard with no top-rail, does the height matter? Mismatching heights would only cause an issue if your front & rear sight are on different planes, corect? Am I missing something?

Genuine question - if you have a handguard with no top-rail, does the height matter? Mismatching heights would only cause an issue if your front & rear sight are on different planes, corect? Am I missing something?
If there is no top rail on the handguard then the front sight has to be mounted on top of the railed gas block, or it has a sight tower, no?

These are in stock. Barrels are very good, just disassemble the whole thing when you get it, dimple the gas block,
change to a one piece gas ring, polish the trigger, shorten the barrel to 16", ugh............just send it to me and I'll blue-print it.
Near MOA with 168 SMK's and a good scope/mount. You WILL have over 2 g's in it when it goes to the field.
There are guns built to a price-point, and guns built to a performance level. When you chose price-point, be prepared for some aw-sh@ts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 8.02.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 8.02.31 PM.png
    101.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Haha
Reactions: RUTGERS95
Only if the bore of the handguard is not centered. As in a JP style mkiii handguard. That one is a low profile only. There are probably others, just not familiar with them.

Only if the bore of the handguard is not centered. As in a JP style mkiii handguard. That one is a low profile only. There are probably others, just not familiar with them.
I think we're drifting the OPs thread a bit far, but if you wanted to start a new thread RE: handguard, I might have some suggestions.

Reactions: rpoL98
I think we're drifting the OPs thread a bit far, but if you wanted to start a new thread RE: handguard, I might have some suggestions.
Yeah. Sorry. Just wanted to put an end to this narrative. Thanks. Keep em small

PSA got their SHIT together with the ar15's. Not so much on the large frame AR308's though. It's a 50/50 crap shoot wether you'll get one that runs properly or not. You may spend a couple hundred $ to damn near the price of the gun (depending on if you are competent to fix yourself or have to pay a smith) to get it running right. Everything from undersized gas ports, to incorrect buffer assemblies etc. So how much will your $800+ PSA end up costing in the end??
As mentioned above, look closer towards Aero or literally anywhere else.
Or you send it back to PSA (on their dime) for them to fix it for free. So that $800 PSA costs you....$800.

I have two and while I changed some things it was because I wanted to and not because I had to. First rifle did have an extractor issue and PSA paid for me to return my bolt and sent me a replacement.

Last edited:
& NO RIFLE for how long?.....
You were lucky on the one , many are not.
It still costs nothing and how many people NEED a rifle that bad?

PSA is hardly the only maker with warranty issues. I have had guns that needed to go back from almost every major manufacutruer. Hell I once had TWO Rugers back for warranty at the same time.

Really dude? Who wants to spend a grand on a NEW rifle that probably won't run just to have it tied up for weeks or months shipping back & forth for warranty SHIT? Even worse if it takes several trips to get it right
spot on, for the life of me, with all we know about psa, why buy there??

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
Right? Especially when you can get something decent for similar $$ that fucking works out the gate-Aero or others.
Yet there is this thread about an Aero...

Oooh, one for every 1000 of PSA fuck-ups. You said yourself that only 1 of your 2 PSA's worked. That's a 50% failure rate right there.

Reactions: LRRPF52

lol guess reading is hard for you?

I already stated they do ok with the AR15 platform, but they suck for the most part on the large frames.
That's obviously false as no company can make a profit when "most" of their product needs warranty work.

And to be accurate, it was the TOOLCRAFT bolt that had the issue and not PSA's parts.

Last edited:
That's obviously false as no company can make a profit when "most" of their product needs warranty work.

And to be accurate, it was the TOOL:CRAFT bolt that had the issue and not PSA's parts.
Like I said earlier, it's a crapshoot.....
Plenty of threads on plenty of forums, including PSA's own forums🤣

I have a few lr308’s, and the m&p10 is more accurate than it has a right to be for the price. It was reliable out of the box with 308, I had to open up the gas port just a hair to run nato.

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
Like I said earlier, it's a crapshoot.....
Plenty of threads on plenty of forums, including PSA's own forums🤣
Buying any gun is a crapshoot. Like I said I have had to send plenty of major manufacturers offerings back for warranty. And it seems PSA has improved things a lot in the Gen 3 guns. That Toolcraft sourced bolt could have ended up in any number of other companies rifles and it was just the luck of the draw it was in my PSA.

With PSA's low entry cost I don't see it as huge issue and people should realize they aren't getting a Knight's level rifle for that $720. Though iirc I have seen comments about even Knight's having issues and ones about how JP will take care of it if there is a problem. Rifles costing 3 or more times what the PSA does.

So far I am entirely happy with my PSA 10s...that set me back a whopping $1440 for both.

If I was a new shooter reading these comments I would be much less likely to jump in and pull the trigger on a large frame AR. and it's a shame because It is defiantly worth it to get one, they are way better than they were just 4 years ago straight out of the box. I would rather have a 2 to 3 MOA large frame AR with the cheap buffer issue than not have one at all. The PSA gen3 and newest Aero at the $1,000.00 price range are both good starting points for a shooter. If you have the funds or just want a showpiece for an investment defiantly go with the Knights and spend the extra money. Please for God's sake don't put the stickers you get in the box on the rear window of your vehicle unless they are sponsoring you.

Reactions: Steve_In_29
If I was a new shooter reading these comments I would be much less likely to jump in and pull the trigger on a large frame AR. and it's a shame because It is defiantly worth it to get one, they are way better than they were just 4 years ago straight out of the box. I would rather have a 2 to 3 MOA large frame AR with the cheap buffer issue than not have one at all. The PSA gen3 and newest Aero at the $1,000.00 price range are both good starting points for a shooter. If you have the funds or just want a showpiece for an investment defiantly go with the Knights and spend the extra money. Please for God's sake don't put the stickers you get in the box on the rear window of your vehicle unless they are sponsoring you.
There is no such thing as a cheap buffer issue. They are a real pain in the ass. Is it possible you haven't had to chase a buffer problem? By the way, what is your time worth? Especially when you put down your hard earned cash and expect that a factory bought rifle should work properly out of the box. No exception. As a consumer, is this unreasonable? NO. I would like to see where you find PSA or Aero complete rifles for 1k. You can't. PSA hasn't had complete rifles for some time now and neither has Aero. Even when you can, they both are about 1250-1350 average cost. You could piece them together but that's more costly. I do agree with your statement about bucks up and showcase rifles. AND stickers. OK, a couple of stickers is OK. If you have to. I really do believe that anyone intending to get a large frame must be educated into what the potential pitfalls are. And the hassle of chasing an issue. I pray that manufactures come up with some sort of standards some day. If they do, I can only guess how many more large frames would be sold, knowing that standards exist and hassels have been all but eliminated. Of course a few things may happen, but certainly not the ongoing issues that many people are still going through today. Gun makers wise up. Keep em small

There is no such thing as a cheap buffer issue. They are a real pain in the ass. Is it possible you haven't had to chase a buffer problem? By the way, what is your time worth? Especially when you put down your hard earned cash and expect that a factory bought rifle should work properly out of the box. No exception. As a consumer, is this unreasonable? NO. I would like to see where you find PSA or Aero complete rifles for 1k. You can't. PSA hasn't had complete rifles for some time now and neither has Aero. Even when you can, they both are about 1250-1350 average cost. You could piece them together but that's more costly. I do agree with your statement about bucks up and showcase rifles. AND stickers. OK, a couple of stickers is OK. If you have to. I really do believe that anyone intending to get a large frame must be educated into what the potential pitfalls are. And the hassle of chasing an issue. I pray that manufactures come up with some sort of standards some day. If they do, I can only guess how many more large frames would be sold, knowing that standards exist and hassels have been all but eliminated. Of course a few things may happen, but certainly not the ongoing issues that many people are still going through today. Gun makers wise up. Keep em small
My time is worth every penny, and in my opinion, these rifles are also. Let me explain, a cheap buffer is a problem on these rifles because the manufacturers install cheap buffers to save money. They can be a real pain in the ass so I do agree with you, but if you are chasing a buffer problem for a very long time it may not only be a buffer problem. I understand you want your rifle to work properly every time in every situation with no exceptions but even the top brands do not fit this ideal. I have a heavy buffer, an A5 tube, and the proper spring on order to experiment with dwell time on an already properly functioning gen 3 PA10 just for shits and giggles and squeeze a little more accuracy out of her. I also love the Lockheed AC-130 gunship, but I know I would be messing around with it also if I had one, that's a nice name you got there.

My time is worth every penny, and in my opinion, these rifles are also. Let me explain, a cheap buffer is a problem on these rifles because the manufacturers install cheap buffers to save money. They can be a real pain in the ass so I do agree with you, but if you are chasing a buffer problem for a very long time it may not only be a buffer problem. I understand you want your rifle to work properly every time in every situation with no exceptions but even the top brands do not fit this ideal. I have a heavy buffer, an A5 tube, and the proper spring on order to experiment with dwell time on an already properly functioning gen 3 PA10 just for shits and giggles and squeeze a little more accuracy out of her. I also love the Lockheed AC-130 gunship, but I know I would be messing around with it also if I had one, that's a nice name you got there.
It is a good name. After 22 years flying those, I grew to love and honor it. And the men and women who wrench on it, care for it, bleed on it, and operate it. By the way, it's a Talon-not a gunship. Back to the gun speak. After years of testing, I found that using an A5 length tube works well allowing me to use standard 3.25 inch carbine buffers instead of the shorty 2.5 inch ones. I changed to the Magpul ar10/308 enhanced buffer because it's the same length as the A5 but it has a better ramp at the buffer detent area. It drastically helps mitigate buffer tilt issues. Runs a bit smoother too. I've tried both and it works well for me. I use a JP high pressure/enhanced bolt set with the small firing pin. No pierced primers or FTE/FTF anymore. The barrel is a 20" Criterion match M118 type-stainless steel with a .094 gas hole. And a Superlative adjustable gas block. When you set up the gas block, get the gun running right by testing different springs and buffer weights. I settled on a Sprinco Orange spring and a 5.4 oz buffer. When I finally had it set up, putting brass at 3:30-4:30 and locking back after the last cartridge, only then did I start to adjust out the excess gas. Wasn"t much. At 100yds, I usually get .75-1.4 moa with factory ammo and .33-.44 moa with handloads (on a good day, I have old eyes). My best is a 3 shot group at .32 moa. I usually shoot 5 shot groups-keeps me honest and the BS to a minimum. 1400 rounds through it now. I still run it fairly wet and clean it after every outing. That seemed to be my ticket to a good running rifle. It works well for me, maybe not others. Oh yeah, stick to the same type/make of ammo when you test. If you dont, you may find that using different ammo will input another variable monkey wrench into the works, providing false test results. I know, I did it. It took me a while to find this one out- and a butt load of waisted ammo $$$ needlessly. This gun started out life as a DPMS Oracle LR308-low profile handguard, 16" barrel. Hopefully some of this data is beneficial. I can only hope and pray that everyone figures out their AR issues. Manufacturers need to quit soft shoeing this and get on the standardization bandwagon. Its really sad there are so many problems. After all, its a real gas shooting it. (Pun intended...) Keep em small

Last edited:
Reactions: Farsight
defintely not true, you can absolutely buy a complete aero lower and upper separately for under 1k. Aero has deals almost every weekend. I posted liinks earlier right at 1k. All you would need is to find the irons you like.

"If you only had one large frame AR platform, at the $1k point...."

Then I wouldn't. I just wouldn't have a cheap ass AR10.
that's funny and incredibly narrow minded. have to ask based on that comment, are you insecure, small penis problems? lol I kid a little but you get my point.

As someone with the most expensive toys all the way down to home builds for less than OP pricepoint, this is simply not true

remember, expensive doesn't mean good and cheap doesn't mean bad. Hell, just today we've got someone with a new sr25 milling off the handguard that was too long. I've had a set of barrel lock pins out of spec that needed replacing from LMT. I've had a new Noveske that had gas tube too short (not even sure how that leaves the shop like that), lwrc with handguards that were 10 degrees off, and a JP that couldnt cycle multiple brands of ammo.

Now LMT is the top imho (my LMTs are in the LMT thread here), ahead of KAC and no shop is immune to qc issues however, my factory aero has just as many rounds downrange as my kac had without a single hiccup and will print sub moa with fgmm 168s and 175, with DAG, it's consistently 1.2. Now you tell me how that is bad?

expensive has its place, cheaper has it's place

Reactions: Steve_In_29

Good advice here, the frustration of f-ing with one to get it running right isn't worth being cheap.

Sure there is, you buy the KAW Valley carbine buffer and spring for about $65. Or spend a bit more and get the Armalite buffer tube kit.

You aren't paying attention of you think PSA (I don't know about Aero) isn't offering complete rifles for sale. Every week or so PSA's emails have been including a link to a complete PA10 rifle for $819.99

But just buy the rifle kit and a stripped lower....total $720. Save yourself $100 by putting the lower together yourself before slapping the upper on it.

Last edited:

Yes because MOA out of a $4K rifle is just sooooo much better than MOA out of a cheap one.:rolleyes:

Even if you can't shoot for shit, at least you can impress people at the range with how you aren't a "poor" huh?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

One guy says he wouldn't own a cheap AR10.

One guy says "you insecure, small penis problems?"

Tell me who the real fuckhead is?
I'm going to say the one that measures his pecker by how much he spends on his guns instead of how those guns perform.

You're attributing an argument to me that I never said. Nowhere did I say you have to spend $4K on an AR. I never have spent that much on a gas gun. If you have to swing to the opposite end of the spectrum to make your point, you're stretching it. You're primed and ready to argue against Knights enthusiasts. And that's not me.

This is my only large frame AR. And it shoots a lot better than MOA.

View attachment 7821810

And I've won the last two matches I've shot and last year's club series in my region. So I shoot pretty decently. How about you?
Well excuse me for not knowing the cost of your rifle to the exact penny and I never said anything about your being a Knight's owner.

Seems in your defensiveness you read too much into my post. But Knights owner or not your post I replied to exhibited the same, "look at how much my rifle cost" snobbery.

I never advertised how much I've spent on a gas gun.

What's next, angry guy?
Sure you did...by your statement that you would never own a $1K rifle even if it was your only option. As if it was somehow beneath you.

Not angry at all, simply think the look at me I'm not a poor mentality is pretty funny.

You can get several decent/good AR-10s for $1500-$2000. My recommendations come from the past 20 years of owning, trouble-shooting, working on, accurizing, repairing, shooting, and competing with the large frame guns, though I don’t shoot them anywhere near as much as AR-15s. I have also helped countless people through trouble-shooting their Vismod-10 rifles, which is hit-or-miss on being able to fix the problems, or just going to a new rifle after chasing their tails.

You’re rolling the dice with the ones below that $1500 price point from reputable manufacturers. We can talk about anecdotes from individual customers, but it’s better to look at larger data sets. I actually am hesitant at the $1500 price point, which is pretty cheap in 2022.

PSA and Aero have gone through multiple generations of their fairly recent offerings with large frame ARs because they had all sorts of problems with feeding, extracting, basic mechanical engineering of the bolt carrier rails smashing the RET boss threads, charge handles not fitting, incorrect barrel extension and bolt geometry clipping lugs, large firing pin apertures, magazine indexing variances, spring weights, buffers, gas blocks, normal chamber dimension inconsistency from SAAMI common to cheap barrel runs and the main source for reamers, and all the issues that the 2nd wave pioneers of the late 1980s (Stoner/KAC) and mid 1990s (Eagle/ArmaLite Inc.) went through decades ago.

Buying the low price point means that you have a higher likelihood of spending time and ammo trying to work through trouble-shooting the rifles, replacing parts, and sending them back for repair, before they run at a level that you are comfortable with.

What I tell people looking to get a reliable AR-10 is that if you take the cheap route, be prepared to be your own QC department who doesn’t have any technical data or armorer’s gauges to work with, because none really exist outside of chamber gauges for these rifles in the open.

Also, if you can’t afford to purchase a $1500 rifle or are offsetting the cost a bit to make room for optics and a mount in a reasonable budget, what is your ammo budget? Another $1500 will go to optic and a mount that won’t break on top of the smashing reciprocating mass effects of the AR-10’s huge BCG.

$1000 rifle + $1300 optic + $150 mount + $50 for 2 more mags + $100 cheap Chidura rifle case = $2600

$100 buys you maybe 4-5 boxes of the cheapest brass-cased 7.62x51 or .308 Winchester ammo you can find, taking you to $2700.

That ammo will be eaten very likely over multiple range trips chasing the problems that are causing FTFeed, FTExract, FTEject malfunctions, and the band-aids you end up applying after thinking you might have narrowed down the causes.

Problem is, let’s say it was an inefficient gas issue (very common). You go through the usual remedies of adjustable gas, buffer weight and spring increases across the whole spectrum of your control, and the rifle either short-strokes or excessively cycles at a fast rate, still causing FTExtract/Eject malfunctions. That is more like an inefficient bolt/carrier inner and outer dimensional combo, where too much gas is leaking off the bolt tail, but can also be incorrect dimensions for the carrier rails and carrier raceway inside the upper. You have no control over those dimensions as a beta-tester customer for the low-point companies who don’t give a rip whether your rifles works or not, as long as they have your money.

How much of that (more valuable to you) money on a tight budget has been spent at this point? You’ve replaced the factory gas block with a pricey adjustable unit that easily slips onto the gas block journal (bad). You’ve been back and forth to the range 2-5 times already. You’ve logged onto forums looking for advice from people, most of whom are as or less-experienced than you parroting things they saw someone else post without knowing much about these rifles at all, but are motivated by a desire to raise their post counts like fakebook out of a sense of validation in their vacuum of ignorance.

You head back to the range with their band-aids, while the heart of the matter with inefficient bolt/carrier?, chamber dims?, poorly-fitted parts? eludes your attempts to correct them. You have far exceeded the $1500 by this point and still don’t have a working rifle worthy of just recreational target shooting.

If it were me in the OP's shoes, I'd spend the $1299-1500 on a NIB Sig 716i Tread or similar complete rifle from another established manufacturer. The warranties have value- if she doesn't run well it goes back to the MS for resolution.

Reactions: drewthebrave
View attachment 7821979

Does this sound about right?
No. That’s pretty outdated since LAR Mfg was bought by “Freedom Group” many years ago and shut down. They made 85% of AR-15 receivers at that time, including Bushmaster and DPMS. They were walking distance from one of my homes.
Olympic Arms has been out of business for many years now as well, unless something has changed. PWA is going even farther back. Some of those companies were at their heyday in the late 1980s-1990s. That list also misses what I’ll explain next:

A problem with trying to make assumptions about quality based on contract runs by various machine shops is that it doesn’t take into consideration the intermediate and final QC processes by the final assemblers whose names are on the lowers.

Example: Machine shop A who takes forgings and does finish-machining on them before sending them to the prime contractor (whose name is on the lower) does their contracted work. Sends the batch by the pallet to brand B.

Brand B throws them straight into the assembly line, with parts sources from multiple other shops, like barrel makers, small parts, furniture, etc. They have very minimal QC, only care about volume with certain allowable CS and returns.

Machine Shop A also finish-machines forgings for Brand C, who has a totally different culture where their TQM department inspects the receivers and rejects ones out of their tolerance agreement with Machine Shop A. Brand C also does this with their barrels, BCGs, magazines, gas blocks, gas tubes, LPKs, etc. and is known among their business partners as borderline A-holes/sticklers, but their customers love them and think of them as a great company who takes care of them.

Name brand companies will go through multiple supplier vendors over the course of their histories, so Brand X might have been using Machine shop A for its first 4 years, then switched to Machine shop B for another 5-7 years, then switched to another or decided to take that process in-house after years of frustration. I have seen that with several companies over the years. That’s just for receivers, not any of the other parts.

What it really comes down to is a company with a culture of maintaining standards that equate with their business model. High volume/low price point models allow looser tolerances and crap parts to slip through regularly because they have to in order to move product.

Low volume/high price point companies can be split into 2 main categories:

1. Those who spend more budget on marketing and have poor-to-decent QC

2. Those who spend more budget on product with high QC, as well as marketing

The ones who don’t spend on marketing come and go, so it doesn’t matter really if they were garbage or top notch.

You can divide it further from there, but you start to see the business relationships and internal cultures in how they drive the product. Most of these companies aren’t paying their employees much in the firearms industry, so expectations outstrip what can be delivered most of the time.

The idea that because certain parts came from certain machines shops means that they’re all the same and all you’re paying for is a name falls flat on its face once you get inside these companies and see how things actually operate.

Last edited: