• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you only had one rifle?

tat1987

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2008
Norfolk, VA
I'm just curious. If you could only have ONE rifle what would it be? What type of set up? Lets say price would not be a factor since you are getting the rifle that you will be using for EVERYTHING. Why would you pick that rifle/caliber?

My personal choice:
Customized Remington 700 in 7mm REM MAG
28" krieger barrel running Berger 180s
McMillan Stock
Toped off with a NF NXS 5.5-22X56

Why? I have a farm that I could shoot upwards of 1800yrds, but realistically I'll be shooting under 1200yrds for the majority of my shots(so why get anything bigger). I can pick off those pesky groundhogs during the summer and hunt whitetail during deer season.

Re: If you only had one rifle?

AIAW in 308 or 300win mag. 3.5-15x 50mm Premier......

But I cant only own one rifle. Whats the fun in that?

I know it is impossible it own only one rifle. I was just wondering what everyones go to rifle was.

Have to be a .308, to many components and factory ammo out there. I would go a total weight of not much over 10 pounds, still heavy enough to be stable for lots of shooting but no so heavy to require wheels. Maybe something like the Remington LTR with a premium barrel and stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is the availibility or cost of ammo covered? </div></div>

either way is fine. The 375 ct does look really good when you don't have to worry about paying for each round.
smile.gif

I would probably have to go with AIAW in 338 LM with USO to top it off.

If I could only have one rifle it would have to be an AR. Because I wouldn't be thinking about 2-1000 yards as the priority, 5-200yds would be.

It would be my AIAWSM 338 LM with a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope with zero stop. Like this.

IMG_3428.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be my AIAWSM 338 LM with a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope with zero stop. Like this.

IMG_3428.jpg
</div></div>

Sure, just rub it in my face. No its cool, I'll get one, when hell freezes over.
grin.gif

Whats in the fedex box by the way. New toys?

No, just an empty box that's been sitting around the house and my son left it there.

I love my 700 ltr in 300 saum with muzzle break recoils less than 243. I can shoot targets out past 1000yds, kill any NA game and its light enough it doesn't kill me to carry it all day, plus once you acquire the expensive brass it doesn't cost much more to shoot than a 308 but with the extra 200fps.

just my .02cents

I'm primarily a hunter, not a tactical guy, so my choice will be a lot lighter than most of y'alls. I could get by with my Remington 700 LVSF (Light Varmint Stainless Fluted) .308 and be perfectly happy. Ammo and components everywhere, reasonably light, it will kill anything I ever need to kill out past any range I have any business shooting, and it's not uncomfortable to shoot for extended range sessions.

Specs:
- Rem. 700 LVSF .308
- Shilen trigger @ 2 pounds
- Non J-lock firing pin assembly
- Talley lightweight low ring/mount JB welded to the reciever
- McMillan Classic with 1'' Decel, pillar bedded in Marine-Tex
- Leupold VXII 3x9x40
- Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling
- Graphite Black Cerakote on all the metal
- Just a hair over 7 pounds as pictured

The only change I'd make if it was my only rifle would be to upgrade the scope to a VXIII 3.5x10x40 with M1 elevation knob.

BlueBuck5.jpg

I don't have an answer for this question. Too many potential variables.

For hunting, I like a rifled 20ga semi. For hunting, I like a .44Mag lever gun. Also... Both Dot Scoped... For being hunted, I think I like the same, but I'm giving up a lot in case the hunter wants to go LR against me.

I guess my answer is less about what gun, and more about what/where it's being used (for).

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have an answer for this question. Too many potential variables.

I guess my answer is less about what gun, and more about what/where it's being used (for).

Greg </div></div>

Yep...kinda need to know what its going to be used for... .but... since im an AR junkie... Id probably go with an AR m-4 type with an eo-tech,with a good mix of ammo.... m-855, BH 75gr and some m-193. And plenty of mags to throw all that ammo in.... a Weesatch with some plates, camel back, Eberlestock Gunslinger..... but now im starting to ramble.

Hmm...I guess if I had to pick from what I currently own it would be my 223AI. It's cheap as hell to shoot, will take me out to the 1K line on tagets, is a lot of fun to shoot, has good barrel life, no recoil, will work for critters from prairie dogs to whitetail with the right bullet, and it kills steel as well as any 308 I've owned. I'd give up some range on critter's to the bigger chamberings, I can't really argue that point. If I could change it, I would end up with a 223AI that was 9-10#'s instead of 12-13#. When the barrel finally goes on mine (it's at 3500 and I have no idea when it'll go) it'll come back wearing a Fluted Rem Varmint contour at 22"...chambered in 223AI of course.

If I was starting from scratch I'd likely just build a mid-weight A5 stocked 223/223AI. Everyone should own a well built fast twisted 223 bolt-gun. IMO.

One Rifle for all that I currently own-
My M1a 308 with the 11 GI mags just the way I have it set up.
Maybe a Arms #18 mnt and a Red Dot.
I can shoot 50 to 500 yds with pleanty of Ammo on tap should I have to laydown cover fire.
I can hunt with it and it is not so heavy that I cannot hump it all day.

My wish list would take several pages..
Thanks,
George of the Jungle..

AR10 with Leupy M4 MR/T. 308 is everywhere, will put meat on the table and bad guys in the dirt. Plus mag capacity is a big + when the zombies come.

IF I could only have one rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Fantasy Rifle.

I don't think they make one but hear it goes.

A semiauto AR type rifle using gas piston.11-12 lbs.With a new March Tactical grade 10-60x60 scope.

Cartridge,30-338 Norma mag wildcat.Accuracy of .2 inch with double stack 15 round magazines

27 inch fluted Bartlein barrel with muzzle brake.Medium taper with 1-9 twist.Shooting a 250 grain VLD bullet at 3000fps with BC of .8

DOES THIS SOUND COOL OR WHAT??????????????????????????????

Steve

.30-06 - it can be loaded heavy and it can be loaded li ght- and when 223 cal is required you can use the accelerator round.

Sumpter....Dude I would love to take your Springer for a ride. By the way what cheek piece is that? It looks great.

A good stainless barreled, two stage match triggered, AR10A4 or maybe even a AR10T chambered in 308. Optics would be a tough choice but maybe a low to mid powered variable high end scope, I'd have to think a while on reticle choice.

okie

M40A3 if criteria is fun/hunting. 22 cal if needed for survival (very cheap ammo and kills even deer close range, but not legally). M4 if in war zone. (or AK if in war zone with no cleaning supplies)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.30-06 - it can be loaded heavy and it can be loaded li ght- and when 223 cal is required you can use the accelerator round.</div></div>

Do you have a source for accelerator rounds?
My grandfather bought a case of them years ago, but his supply is running low. I've searched high and low and can't seem to find them anywhere.....

700 Tactical or 700 LTR and a variable scope. Light, hard hitting, reach out and touch them out to 800 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sumpter....Dude I would love to take your Springer for a ride. By the way what cheek piece is that? It looks great. </div></div>

Thanks Scotty. The cheekpiece is made by Karsten and it works great.

Just ONE rifle?

Well I'd have to go with an AR15 (and plenty of lower parts) with a 16" upper in 5.56, a 20" upper in 6.8 and a 24" upper in 6.5 Grendal and a 26" upper in 6.5 WSSM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.30-06 - it can be loaded heavy and it can be loaded li ght- and when 223 cal is required you can use the accelerator round.</div></div>

Do you have a source for accelerator rounds?
My grandfather bought a case of them years ago, but his supply is running low. I've searched high and low and can't seem to find them anywhere..... </div></div>

I have a box of them from years ago. I only shot 5, saved the rest. Accuracy kinda sucked, about 3" at 100 yards. They might be handy if you ever wanted to put a bullet in something, but didn't want any rifling signature on the bullet......

Sako Quad, .22 -quiet, accurate, great trigger, light, cheap to operate.

Make mine an M60 with a truckload of ammo. LOL

MM

Personally I like the 308, you all know the reasons.. accurate, deadly, available...

I have 3

A Fulton Armory built M1A,

A GAP M40A3

x3ydq9.jpg

And A GAP Non-Typical Hunting Rifle

3029h82.jpg

IMHO the M1A is a great rifle battle proven, accurate and durable

The M40A3 is boringly accurate, does not miss a beat, keeps you in shape carrying it

The Non-Typical Hunting Rifle is by far my favorite, boringly accurate, smooth Templar action, weigh 7 Lbs plus scope.. I currently have a MK4 M3 Leupold on it, am looking at a SN 3 USO or possibly the Premier Heritage to finish it off.. This rifle just works, I could not want for anything else.

Merlinn

Hmmmmmm. I'd say it would have to be my AR-10T. Ammo is relatively cheap and it has plenty of power for things that go bump in the night or that taste good. Accurate as hell to boot! 4x20,4x10,2x4 round mags is a lot of ammo. 4.5-14 MK4 mildot works well way out there.

My Colt MT lightweight AR-15 A2 hands down.
Tons of ammo at the ready, accurate AND quick to aquire target, and good enough to kill whatever needs a hole in it. No scope nor batteries required. Light and easy to pack around all day long.
Hpim0568.jpg

Modified Winchester 94 re-chambered for .308, weaver, Badger rings, S&B Zenith 1.5–6 x 42, and a really comfortable field sling.

Sold all my AR's...for a TON of profit in the past 3 weeks. Taking the cash and just purchased a new TRG-22...that will by my "if I only had one rifle" for now, with a IOR 6-24 x50 mounted on top. Spending the rest of the cash on Match primers, Hornady AMAX, and Varget!!!!!!!!!!

Id have to go with my new one and only rifle... A Starnes built 300winmag on a nesika action, they dont get any better than that.

Mine is a Blaser TAC2. Its one rifle but I have .223, .308 and .300 WM conversions for it...Toying with the .338LM next.

Oh I can't resist. One rifle? Hard one...Let me think. Ok since cost is not a factor. A M1A with a Satern Custome barrel umm 25" barrel. A reciever from LRB ARMS. Does Manner make a stock for M1As? I don't think so if they did I would want one. Aw fuck it make that rifle 30-06 while I am at it.
Now where is my dream rifle? Give it to me please
laugh.gif

Oh I forgot it has to accept a bipod too.
smile.gif

257 A I rem receiver 24 in Hart bbl
McMillan Hunting stock
canjar tri. 100gr nosler balistic tip
going 3560.brownell latigo sling
will take out foods or dudes and they
dont have to be too close either

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tat1987</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just curious. If you could only have ONE rifle what would it be? What type of set up? <span style="color: #FF0000">Lets say price would not be a factor</span> since you are getting the rifle that you will be using for EVERYTHING. Why would you pick that rifle/caliber?

My personal choice:
Customized Remington 700 in 7mm REM MAG
28" krieger barrel running Berger 180s
McMillan Stock
Toped off with a NF NXS 5.5-22X56

Why? I have a farm that I could shoot upwards of 1800yrds, but realistically I'll be shooting under 1200yrds for the majority of my shots(so why get anything bigger). I can pick off those pesky groundhogs during the summer and hunt whitetail during deer season.

</div></div>

Well since this question has no limmitation's; I would want to have a fully customized 25mm electromagnetic sniper rifle built by the best builder in the world. Why? Same reason as you; ground hogs...

All seriousness aside; for everything; anything semi-automatic. Would hate to be running a bolt gun against all the russian's chinese and terrorist when they invade us.

LW

Mine would consist of:
.260 with
Mcmillan A-5
Surgeon action
krieger fluted barrel
NXS 5.5-22x56

And my partner would be carrying an AA-12 fully-auto shotgun to clean up the close range groundhogs (terrorists) ha ha