• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you were buying a gun today...

Cclary60

Slinger of Random Goods
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2020
DFW
I need some feedback for future store orders:

Let’s say you were in the market for a new firearm. Rifle, shotgun, handgun. You have $1,500.
If you walked into a gun shop, and they had any gun you wanted on the shelf for under $1,500, what would you buy?

Would you buy one nice $1,500 gun? Would you buy three $500 guns?

Make, model, and caliber would be helpful. I’m taking over ordering and allocation for firearms for a new “outdoor store”.

Personally, I’d spend $1,500 on a Savage 110 Elite Precision in 6.5 creedmoor or a new Benelli Córdoba in 12 gauge.
If I wanted more than 1 gun, I’d buy 2 HK VP9’s in 9mm.

I appreciate your feedback.

Reactions: TexPatriot
I would venture to guess most folks loooking right now would want ARs, a preponderance of them in 5.56/.223. At $1500 I can’t buy KAC (my preference) so I’d check into LMT.

Reactions: MCHOG and Cclary60
I would venture to guess most folks loooking right now would want ARs, a preponderance of them in 5.56/.223. At $1500 I can’t buy KAC (my preference) so I’d check into LMT.
I’m fully expecting most of the comments to relate to AR or AK platforms, or 9mm handguns.

Lately handguns are moving fast at all the stores nearby. No surprise. So stock some of those.

Personally I would go for one solid rifle. A Howa 1500 in .308. Very solid out of the box.

Reactions: Cclary60
HK VP9 for sure in pistol. Or a Sig 226.

Then 900 bucks leftover for about 1000 rounds of winchester white box.

Reactions: Bender
lol, expecting congress to pass another cash giveaway? :p
if i was a gun store, i'd get P320s, especially since people are making carbines that take the mags.
not a striker pistol guy, but i'd sell them and anything that takes those mags.
same for glock and pc carbines that take those....
and lots of mags and ammo.
put together a pistol, carbine, mags and ammo package.

for $1500 i'd take a 6.5CM Scar 20S if you can swing me a discount for the advice. :ROFLMAO:

So I have always believed in owning guns that run standard NATO chamberings aka 5.56 and 9x19. I always figured that those rounds may ebb and flow but won't disappear. Having said that nowadays I look at what people are carrying(professionally and personally) and IF things get weird Glocks and AR-15s are the platforms that you will be able pick-up ammo/mags/"spare parts" for :cough:. Having said that I would spring for a Glock G17 or G19 (or anything that runs 9x19. I'm not hating on Sig's, HK's or, hell, even Hi-Points but it would be a cold day in hell before I went that low :LOL: I'm just saying Glocks are EVERYWHERE and pretty interchangeable ) and an AR-15 platform of your choice. Spend what's left on ammo. With the exception of a 6.5CM and a .338LM ( A Savage 110Ep BTW (y) ) everything I own runs those 2 chamberings. Just MHO...

Last edited:
If I were looking for a gun right now (as primary Or first weapon For self defense or even 2nd) I’d have to Consider myself a dumbass.

Now if I’m looking for a sporting shotgun I’d look at Versamax, Fabarm L4s, Franchi Affinity and maybe a Retay. If I was going fancy a Citiri 725 or Fabarm Elos D2 All above either 12 or 20. 28 ga I may have to look at TRistsr or Mossberg.

Chey Tac M 200 Intervention in 375 caliber.

Specifications:
  • Action Type: CheyTac Long Action w/40 MOA Base
  • Effective Range: 2500+ Yards
  • Caliber: .408 or .375 CheyTac®
  • Sub MOA
  • Overall Length: 56 inches
  • Interchangeable Barrels:
    29” .408 Cal Twist 1:10
    29” .375 Cal Twist 1:9.5
  • Weight: 31 lbs
  • Stock: retractable
  • Trigger: Timney Elite Hunter 1.5-4lb adjustable
  • Custom Case included with one (1) magazine
  • NSN: 1-005-01-515-5774

Attachments

• 1600316268430.png
    1600316268430.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 49
Reactions: nikonNUT
If I suffered an unfortunate boating accident and had to start over with $1,500.00 I'd start with the basic survival tools, an AR, probably a lower and kit from PSA and a G19 or some other proven handgun.

I doubt you could cover the cost of both walking into a gun store though.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCHOG
So I have always believed in owning guns that run standard NATO chamberings aka 5.56 and 9x19. I always figured that those rounds may ebb and flow but won't disappear. Having said that nowadays I look at what people are carrying(professionally and personally) and IF things get weird Glocks and AR-15s are the platforms that you will be able pick-up ammo/mags/"spare parts" for :cough:. Having said that I would spring for a Glock G17 or G19 (or anything that runs 9x19. I'm not hating on Sig's, HK's or, hell, even Hi-Points but it would be a cold day in hell before I went that low :LOL: I'm just saying Glocks are EVERYWHERE and pretty interchangeable ) and an AR-15 platform of your choice. Spend what's left on ammo. With the exception of a 6.5CM and a .338LM ( A Savage 110Ep BTW (y) ) everything I own runs those 2 chamberings. Just MHO...
i'm sort of the same, except i skipped the little AR and keep 9mm, 7.62x51mm, and 12ga.
i only own sig p-series handguns, but i don't have to worry about parts, because they're sig p-series handguns. :p

Specifications:
  • Sub MOA
Ok, You talked me into it. But is this in the "3 guns for 500 each" or the "1 gun for 1500" category? Asking for a friend.

• Haha
I think if you are buying for a store you'll probably sell six (or more) 500$ firearms for every 1500$ firearm. Just the way it is.

Reactions: Redmanss
I was at my LGS a couple weeks ago, chatting with the owner about business. He said "I'm barely a gun store right now, but can't get any stock in so soon I'll just be a store, and if the rest of my orders don't come in I won't even be that."

Everything is selling right now, even shitty guns and ammo are flying off the shelves. Buy anything and everything right now to put on the shelves, it won't be there long anyhow. Get whatever and however much you can, and worry about quality stocking post election.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I will give the generic answer

Glock 17 or 19 or a S&W M&P 9mm
basic AR15 - S&W, Ruger, something most people have 'heard of' and not a house brand
basic pump action 12 gauge - mossberg or remington

I think you could make a case to someone that owns no guns that they need all three ;)

To someone that owns guns already, they are going to be a lot more specific and probably looking for what they know they want.

I already bought everything I needed during the salad days, knowing the commies were up to something.

I'd spend that $1,500.00 on hookers, as long as they weren't commies.

Reactions: skyrep
Ok, You talked me into it. But is this in the "3 guns for 500 each" or the "1 gun for 1500" category? Asking for a friend.

Oops, forgot that little detail. Ill just buy one for 8 friends who dont have one, LOL.

A Glock 19 and the rest to be spent on a holster (Raven, GCode or Safariland ALS), a BeltMan Belt, 3x 17rd magazines, esstac KWYI pistol pouches, 1,000rds of ammo, and the rest on range time.

That’s 1500 well spent that will do more for you than buying three shitty ARs or some POS OTC bolt gun.

Reactions: black max
If I had to buy a gun right now from a local gun store I'd feel as comfortable as an arrested pedophile walking into prison.

Good luck. 😁

Here's some random thoughts on gun stores by a consumer, may not pertain to you OP, but maybe others could use it.
  • People on gun forums don't typically buy shit off the shelf, we order it in. We're the crowd that thinks FGMM is just "okay" ammunition and we drop $4k on a bolt gun before we drop another $3k on glass, and many of us have multiples of them at that. Charge a nominal fee for transfers but don't treat us like we're a burden for only doing a transfer, and undercut your competition by $5, and that will get us into your store to complete our transfer. While we're there, we impulse buy ammo and accessories. Biggest thing is, getting us into your store and keeping us coming back...
  • Go to the gun rag magazine rack, buy every issue, and look at the 1/2-full page glossy ads. That's what people who buy off the shelf will be looking for.
  • Have a range of low to high price items. Don't restrict yourself to one market category.
  • Optics and mounting accessories, have them and have varying heights/tube diameters too. Get some good shit too, Seekins for one, but have the generic shit for the cheap chumps getting their hunting rifle "tuned up" too. Why don't we buy our rings at gun shops? Because gun shops only have cheap shit for 1" tubes that we don't even put on our .22s.
  • Holsters for every pistol you have in the case and every other common CC pistol too, both Kydex and leather. Concealed carry is huge right now, and someone buying a handgun is going to want/need a holster.
  • Reloading supplies, especially powder and primers. We hate paying HAZMAT, and will pay a bit more to get it local. Have a continuous standing order for the popular stuff, especially primers and Hodgen powders.
I could go on, but it's late and I'm headed to bed. I'd love to see some others contribute to this list as well.

Fully agree NATO standard and 9mm anything that puts out 5.56 7.62 or 9mm and make sure that you have the ammo in stock you cannot go wrong with these and when the SHTF and is distributed everywhere we will be safe not the Home invader or rioter intent on looting

I need some feedback for future store orders:

Let’s say you were in the market for a new firearm. Rifle, shotgun, handgun. You have $1,500.
If you walked into a gun shop, and they had any gun you wanted on the shelf for under $1,500, what would you buy?

In the current climate, I wouldn't buy anything that didn't shoot milspec ammo.

I think in today’s market, keeping in mind most customers who buy guns don’t know as much as most hide members have forgotten, I’d say anything “different” would get the most attention.

Around here the small super compact pistols are a big seller regardless of the current market.

Bull pup designs like the keltec ksg

AR Pistols 5.56 or 300 BO

Anything in the 5.7 design

People are attracted to what they don’t normally see like a bird attracted to a shiny object

A Glock 19 and the rest to be spent on a holster (Raven, GCode or Safariland ALS), a BeltMan Belt, 3x 17rd magazines, esstac KWYI pistol pouches, 1,000rds of ammo, and the rest on range time.

That’s 1500 well spent that will do more for you than buying three shitty ARs or some POS OTC bolt gun.
Honestly, I'd get a G19, a PSA AR pistol with at least a Shockwave brace and a RD on it, something you can have on you all the time or is very handy, light and within arms reach at any moment. And of course a buttload of mags and ammunition.

This election, if Trump wins, Biden and the trash propping him up, and that includes military generals, are going to stage a coup and the shooting is going to start. That means Antifa hit squads like we witnessed recently in Portland. If Trump loses, he hopefully won't step down to a communist regime that rigged the election and will forever turn the U.S. into a communist shithole, and the shooting will start.

Reactions: 308pirate
I really have a want for that new 43x mos. with a shield sight and shield 15rd mags. Idk if it’s corona fat or what but my 19 seems cumbersome the last couple weeks. I LOVE my wife’s 43 but 9rds don’t get it done for me. It might very well be the perfect summer carry gun. That’s about all I can think of in that price range

I really have a want for that new 43x mos. with a shield sight and shield 15rd mags. Idk if it’s corona fat or what but my 19 seems cumbersome the last couple weeks. I LOVE my wife’s 43 but 9rds don’t get it done for me. It might very well be the perfect summer carry gun. That’s about all I can think of in that price range
then get a 26 with the extended 17 round mag

When and if guns and ammo are available again, first time gun buyer should have an AR 223 and concealable 9mm pistola.

That's 1k then the rest in ammo.

Start from there.

then get a 26 with the extended 17 round mag
You ever shot a 26? It sucks, the 43x is tits. (I mean double d perky tits) 26 ish size (little longer in the grip) and still holds 15 and works reliably with 15rd mags plus its 2/3’s the width. It’s the girth that’s makes my 19 feel cumbersome these days.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
AR pistol in 5.56, 40 round mags, reflex sight, Inforce light. Awesome firepower.

You ever shot a 26? It sucks, the 43x is tits. (I mean double d perky tits) 26 ish size (little longer in the grip) and still holds 15 and works reliably with 15rd mags plus its 2/3’s the width. It’s the girth that’s makes my 19 feel cumbersome these days.

I have both and a 19... I prefer a double stack regardless... the 26, being thicker in the grip, fits a larger hand much better... to each his own...

Idk if this was first time buyer or what. But first time buyer...for me, 556 no doubt.

Mid range, lightweight ar15 and mags.

Agree with poster above...

Smith M&P 15, ruger ar556, etc.

Then a variety of small ccw type handguns. P320, p365, m&p shield, ect.

Could get both the ar and ccw for 1500, and have enough left over for a few boxes of ammo.

One for the home, one for on person.

Reactions: Cclary60
Here's some random thoughts on gun stores by a consumer, may not pertain to you OP, but maybe others could use it.
  • People on gun forums don't typically buy shit off the shelf, we order it in. We're the crowd that thinks FGMM is just "okay" ammunition and we drop $4k on a bolt gun before we drop another $3k on glass, and many of us have multiples of them at that. Charge a nominal fee for transfers but don't treat us like we're a burden for only doing a transfer, and undercut your competition by $5, and that will get us into your store to complete our transfer. While we're there, we impulse buy ammo and accessories. Biggest thing is, getting us into your store and keeping us coming back...
  • Go to the gun rag magazine rack, buy every issue, and look at the 1/2-full page glossy ads. That's what people who buy off the shelf will be looking for.
  • Have a range of low to high price items. Don't restrict yourself to one market category.
  • Optics and mounting accessories, have them and have varying heights/tube diameters too. Get some good shit too, Seekins for one, but have the generic shit for the cheap chumps getting their hunting rifle "tuned up" too. Why don't we buy our rings at gun shops? Because gun shops only have cheap shit for 1" tubes that we don't even put on our .22s.
  • Holsters for every pistol you have in the case and every other common CC pistol too, both Kydex and leather. Concealed carry is huge right now, and someone buying a handgun is going to want/need a holster.
  • Reloading supplies, especially powder and primers. We hate paying HAZMAT, and will pay a bit more to get it local. Have a continuous standing order for the popular stuff, especially primers and Hodgen powders.
I could go on, but it's late and I'm headed to bed. I'd love to see some others contribute to this list as well.
Excellent advice. Well spoken.

This election, if Trump wins, Biden and the trash propping him up, and that includes military generals, are going to stage a coup and the shooting is going to start. That means Antifa hit squads like we witnessed recently in Portland. If Trump loses, he hopefully won't step down to a communist regime that rigged the election and will forever turn the U.S. into a communist shithole, and the shooting will start.

Yes, I believe the shooting will start either way. But, I think it will be much worse if Trump loses.

Yes, I believe the shooting will start either way. But, I think it will be much worse if Trump loses.
True that... for it will represent the sanctity of the vote and the Republic have been sacrificed to the Communists and the defense of the nation and it's founding will be on full throttle

Specifications:
  • Sub MOA

If you pay more, can you get it without the weeds growing out of it?

Awesome that it weighs only 31 pounds. Add a nice scope and rings and it’ll barely be at 40 pounds. My dog can carry that.

i'm sort of the same, except i skipped the little AR and keep 9mm, 7.62x51mm, and 12ga.
i only own sig p-series handguns, but i don't have to worry about parts, because they're sig p-series handguns. :p
I understand 100%. I run Nighthawks and STI's. Just saying if I was starting out and was thinking along the lines maybe, possibly having to scrounge off , uhm, combatants I'd bet dollars to doughnut that you would come across Glock stuff 90% of the time. Hence I have 2 G19s that come out every so often just to be sure they hit where I aim.

Last edited:
Reactions: theLBC