• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you were going to build a .300BLK bolt action how would you?

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
Seeing the LongRifles .300BLK made me really want one. After some debating I have decided that I am wanting to turn my Savage .308 into one. I will 1st off change the bolt head to a .223, after that it will be a new barrel which I guess I am the most curious about. I am doing away with the barrel nut and going with a larger recoil lug. I am not a big fan of the barrel nut system, also not interested in a switch barrel system at the moment. When I can I am planning on building another long range rifle to replace this one, better cartridge, custom action, etc.. I am planning on using this .300BLK for hunting out to 200yds maybe further on coyotes or hogs, may also try and bang a little steel at 500yds just for fun. Will shoot both subs and supersonic ammo. I plan on running a suppressor eventually as well.

So the barrel stats? What would be a good brand? I want it as accurate as I can possibly have, match grade? I am thinking 16" or 14.5" with a pinned muzzle device to attach the suppressor with. What twist rate for both super and subsonic ammo? Planning on a heavy contour and maybe sending it to Kampfield to have them flute it.

Planning on running this in a Mcree chassis with an Moe buttstock with the cheek riser. As far as scopes go some thing that I could really easily swap ammo between super and subsonic would be nice. Like have holds on the reticle for one and dial for the other. But for now I will be running a SWFA 3-9.

Would really appreciate input from you guys!

Ben

Last edited:
how heavy of subs you wanna shoot. i think 10 twist will stabilize everything to 220gr. look at the big bbl makers since you arent looking for a barrel nutted precut savage tube. bartlein, krieger, rock, ober, brux. you really cant go wrong with anyone barrel.

my remington has a 1/7 twist I shoot bullets ranging from hornady xtp 90 grain 0n up to 225 grain match . my barrel is 16 inch and i really dont much poi change when I put the suppressor on .
I now have a leupold mk4 2.5x8 mounted up but before that I had a sightron SIH-tac 3x9x40 and felt the 3-9 power was about perfect for this round .

If I was building a 300blk bolt gun, I would try to find a deal on a used 223 rifle and have it rebarreled. Done.

If it were me I’d grab the check book and then the phone and call Chad and request a copy...

Now to your specifics. I’d get a threaded 16” barrel of whatever brand /contour bug holes (Greg of southern precision) has in stock with a 1:10 twist that I like. For sub’s I’d look for some super heavy hard cast lead bullet or mold my own or if I wanted any hope of expansion, heavy jacketed soft points. For supersonic I’d run whatever bullet shot well hoping it is light enough to get some meaningful velocity... and hope I didn’t wish I’d gone 7.62x39 or even 308 from the beginning, just loading with trailboss powder when I wanted subs...

Last edited:
If you were going to build a .300BLK bolt action how would you?

Or if you want a ready made rifle.....

Remington Model 700 SPS Tactical 300 Black Out, Threaded, Silencer Ready - Impact Guns

The 1-7" throws me off, as I thought the 1-10" was good for higher weight bullets (200+).

I shot 210SMK out of a 1/10 at just over 1100 fps and they were hitting the target sideways. It will shoot heavy fine at higher velocity.

I have a Noveske 8.2" 300 Blk with a 1/7 and it shoots 220 Smk and 240 smk fine at subsonic velocities.

Edited to add the 1/10 was a 308 loaded with trailboss.

Micro action like a cz 527 & a Mike Rock 10" twist sporter barrel. For a lighter application anyway.
For a heavier gun, Rem 700 or clone.

So I was under the impression that I needed a 7 or 8 twist to stabilize the heavy subsonic bullets? I want to be sure my bullets don't hit the target sideways...

Also I think instead of regretting not building a a .308 or something for longer distances, this will give me an excuse to build another gun one day with a custom action and all the works! Also my boss has the BLK chamber reamers and told me I could use them, so I can save some money there as well.

Ben

I don't get 300BLK in a bolt gun. Semi auto sure I even have one.

Why? .30cal subsonic is .30cal subsonic meaning speed is the same and you can do that in 308Win. Put a supersonic load in it and a 308Win beats the hell out of a 300BLK.

I don't get 300BLK in a bolt gun. Semi auto sure I even have one.

Why? .30cal subsonic is .30cal subsonic meaning speed is the same and you can do that in 308Win. Put a supersonic load in it and a 308Win beats the hell out of a 300BLK.

I'm in the same camp. I just can't see the value in a 300blk bolt gun. The case capacity will always be a limiting factor. You can make a 308 shoot 175's at 2700fps to reach extended ranges if need be...the same is not true with a 300blk.

But, if building, I'd get a 700sps on the cheap and have it built by Chad.

Last edited:
I bought a 223 varmint R700. Unspun the stock barrel, wound on a 1 in 8 Bartlein, cut it at 16.5, threaded it 5/8 24, made a cap for it. Put a USO 1x8 illuminated scope on it - Shark can on that, ready to fly. That was the first one. It's OK, but a little heavy, heavier than I thought it ought to be, with that Varmint taper tube on it.

Looked over in the front corner of the safe. What sits there, is one of the AI Coverts in 7.62, with the near integral suppressor, made out of Ti, possibly the quietest rifle I know of. Hmmmmm Mikee likes this, but it too, is heavy, not from the can and barrel, but the folding AI stock. A few calls, located the needed muzzle device to adapt the Covert can, waiting on that now. When it arrives, going to take the extra 1 in 8 30 cal barrel, cut down the OD to match the Covert barrel profile, chamber in 300BO, add muzzle device, implant into the existing 223 Varmint BO rifle. It's going to be shorter, lighter, and quieter, I think the pigs are not going to like it much either.

If I had a lighter stock, I'd probably switch that too, and stay with the non detach mag setup, to save weight. Oh, and bought another Covert can....... happened on one while looking for muzzle device, couldn't pass it up.

Remington SPS Tactical 300BLK (cut to 10.5" and rethreaded)
MDT LSS with magpul CTR
Burris XTR II 1-5x24
Seekins rings and base
Timney trigger
TBAC 30PSS

That's the plan for my next build (for the wife :))
Compact, light, capable of short range hunting and will stabilize the big 230 bergers.

I know that removing the barrel nut pretty much defeats the purpose of the Savage, I just don't have any interest in a switch barrel build. Plus I have access to lathes and reamers already. I think I will go with a 16" barrel and just thread the muzzle.

Ben

I am no expert on any of this but a friend of mine has a couple suppressed rifles and his 308 loaded with 220 Sierra round nose bullets and Trailboss powder is really super quiet and has the ability to dial in his dope for the 175 SMK and hit man sized targets at 750 yards,,I would sell the Savage and buy the Rem 700 AAC and go shooting,,

he also has an old Rem 788 in 44 Rem Mag shooting heavy XTP bullets at 1,065 fps is the quietest rifle I have ever heard bar none,,and on game performance from the 44 pistol bullets is much better than any 30 cal bullet made that will hit at most likely under 900 fps

I tried the Savage route with the 338 LM and actually parted it out and recouped what monies I could as it was so bad I couldnt bring myself to sell it to anybody,

I traded into the AAC M7. Neat little rifle, 1/7 twist. Hammers the Rem 220's. Perfect little bolt for the caliber. Wish they had this rifle in .223, would be a great walking varminter.

What ever you decide, I hope you follow up and let us know what you decided on. Maybe some pictures of your build. I have one 300blkout but thinking of one more, probably a bolt this time.

When I put together a Savage in 300 BLK it would occasionally drop the empty case inside the receiver, which isn't uncommon. It's something you might look into. Not sure if the Remington/AAC purpose built rifles addressed this or not.