• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you were to completely restart your career...

Mathematics teacher. Middle school or high school level.

The way we teach math these days really pisses me off.

I am an airline pilot so ill give you my take on the timeline. Ill PM you about the income aspect after you "make it".

You are 32. If you started tomorrow at one of the big schools like All ATP's(i believe they have a school in Tucson) and went full time, all in, you would be working for them within ~12 months as an instructor. When you sign up for their program they basically guarantee you an instructor job. Since you do not have a degree in the field from an accredited school you would not qualify for a reduction in flight time to get your ATP so you would need 1500 hours. My guess is that would take ~2 years after you become an instructor to get there. I dont know what instructors are getting paid, but plan to eat ramen...unless you have a lot of cash. All ATP's has hiring programs with several regional airlines so you can kind of take your pick. So after 3 years(give or take) you would be at the regionals. The money is shit, like 30k-ish to start, maybe after 2 years you make Captain and then its like 80-90k. It would take you 2-4 years(maybe more) at the regionals to build enough experience to make it to the majors(AA, Delta, Southwest, United, FedEx, UPS). So from start to finish I would guess 7 years to "make it", but could take longer. So you could potentially "make it" to the big show by the age of 40... not bad, cause you still have 25 years left(mandatory age 65 retirement).

Im in the "made it" stage. I am currently working 12 days a month(4, 3 day trips) and life is good, but it took me 13 years to get here. Its a great job, pretty relaxed, only as hard as you make it.

Maybe it’s all BS to get you in the door, but I’m seeing posts on Facebook from a select few schools paying upwards of $50/hr for both flight and ground because they need instructors so bad. Regional salaries in the $50-60K, and $20K sign on bonuses.

Flying isn’t cheap to get in to, but if it’s something you want, the time is now.

Helis are hellaciously expensive and don’t pay as well, but they’re a helluva a lot more fun and a greater challenge, so it’s rarely dull flying. If I wasn’t married to helis (I am, because they’re more awesomer!), I’d go fixed wing in your shoes. Drones may pay well, but who wants to sit on their butt and fly a video game all day? You’d be an operator in the eyes of most everyone in the field, rather than a true pilot. All the money, none of the thrill/passion.

But there’s the rub. I fly helis because it’s been a life-long dream and passion, not because it’ll make me rich.?

Reactions: kthomas
The O&G industry isn’t even a mere glimpse of it’s former self from when we started @kthomas . No one is happy; drilling contractors, service providers, operators. Your next day offshore is no longer guaranteed if you work hard and are honest. It is all political now and has become poisoned by the shareholders.

I am in my 8th year as well and looking for a way out. I peaked about 4 years ago when I crossed over to DD; so I am where I am in my career. I have no desire to move from Alabama, nor do i want to move to the office and become part of the problem. I close on house in April and after that anything is fair game.

Having said all that, I absolutely love directional drilling, but all the corporate bs has ruined it for me.

There is still some good work out there but it is mainly with the mom and pop companies on the shelf and US Land.

I still think O&G is one massive correction away from righting the sinking industry. The big problem is that there is no level of certainty that can predict when it’ll happen. Production massively still outpaces drilling and that at some point will become a big problem.

Ideas I have had as far as career change with crossover aspects:
1.) Directional Drilling for utilities. Ditch Witch or Vermeer will provide the training with the purchase of a unit. They have financing so you don’t loose a lump sum of capitol up front. You’ll need a diesel preferably a dually. Your state should have a .gov website for bidding on utility work.
2.) Water well drilling (HVAC or water). Similar concept as above. I havnt ironed out the leads on equipment as much.
3.) All my other ideas are in O&G and not sure you want to go that route ?

Start your own consultancy firm advising the oil & gas industry about how to become more ESG oriented and sustainable as a business. There is a massive global trend towards sustainability and it’s going to drive huge change across the world. Nobody has it figured out....old economy companies like O&G are screwed but have the cash flow (today) and shareholder base that will allow them to create new paths....it will be exactly like when old economy media started buying new online companies...think Time Warner acquiring AOL many years ago. You understand the industry, you speak their language and they need external advice and help on what green / sustainable companies to buy, what strategies to pursue and how to transition. As a side gig, you can then advise hedge funds and other institutional investors on which old economy oil & gas companies will succeed and which are just slapping a coat of paint over the pig. You can do it from home, doesn’t require huge working capital...a PC, presentations and some get up and go. The only thing you are lacking is knowledge of the sustainable world but with your background you could figure that out. You have some big University Endowments in AZ that are going to drive this change. Go talk to them about their investments in Oil & Gas companies and what they are starting to demand from the managers who run their capital.

It’s not completely re-inventing yourself so that has positives and also negatives.

@TJC

Fossil fuels are cheap and society will be dependent on them for the foreseeable future. Developing countries or countries with aging infrastructure will specifically be dependent on them. A gallon of gas is still cheaper than a gallon of milk. As long as the margins are there for operators they have no need to look elsewhere.

Every major operator has a goal set to be 100% sustainable within the next 10-20 years. I laugh when I hear this because their investments speak louder than their words. Example, the largest production platform in the gulf was brought online in 2019 by a company whose goal is to be 100% sustainable by 2030.

In the US wind is not viable. Geothermal or hydroelectric are our best options for widespread sustainability for populous areas. On a household basis solar is extremely viable.

The big issue keeping any of this from being viable is the US’s grid. It would need a complete overhaul to make the efficiencies good enough to allow for a sustainable energy source make sense.

Last edited:
@TJC

Fossil fuels are cheap and society will be dependent on them for the foreseeable future. Developing countries or countries with aging infrastructure will specifically be dependent on them. A gallon of gas is still cheaper than a gallon of milk. As long as the margins are there for operators they have no need to look elsewhere.

Every major operator has a goal set to be 100% sustainable within the next 10-20 years. I laugh when I hear this because their investments speak louder than their words. Example the largest production platform in the gulf was brought online in 2019 by a company whose goal is to be 100% sustainable by 2030.

In the US wind is not viable. Geothermal or hydroelectric are our best options for widespread sustainability for populous areas. On a household basis solar is extremely viable.

The big issue keeping any of this from being viable is the US’s grid. It would need a complete overhaul to make the efficiencies good enough to allow for a sustainable energy source make sense.

I’m sure you are right and I’m not suggesting an alternative energy source but the industry will need to “give back” and that can take many forms. One of my clients has just bought over 300k acres of land and will hand it over to Fish & Game to “protect into perpetuity’. Others are funding research or buying companies in completely different industries that are sustainable. I’m not suggesting wind or solar is the answer, the O&G companies know all about those products already but they need to do something to show they care and shareholders are demanding it happen. Another client of mine just bought a company that makes machines which can recycle plastic bags. It’s not even in the same industry as they are but good operators are looking beyond the horizon and need to “neutralise” their impact or show “offsets”. They won’t reach their goals of course but goals can take many forms and lateral thinking is going to take the lead.

Ever think of going to the dark side and entering project management? If you do have a lot of experience running teams to schedules and budgets it would be a nice transition for you. Could hook up with a local business and be part of teams that build things. Pay is very good for Project Engineers and Project Managers and your degree should easily qualify you. The degree is more to prove you can learn complex shit rather than use it as a PE/PM.

Another avenue is Facilities Management...kind of a toned down PM/PE.

Good part about either of these is its a change for you and each project is different, you see similar things but no two project is the same.

I went to a trade school for high school.

Have a certificate in electrical wiring.

Except when in school and the time between leaving the USMC starting college Ive not worked significant time in the field.

I have done some wiring in my own house and enjoy the work.

Building trades seem to be hungry for people willing to learn and actually work.

In two years you could probably obtain a license and make some money while doing so.

Thing I have observed about trades and trade schooling.....

A) The education does not focus enough on the actual business end of things. Trade schools turn out knowledgeable helpers. When these guys grow into building their own business they are ill prepared for the accounting aspects that they need to be successful. Bills don't get written, money doesnt come in, suppliers don't get paid....they end up back working for someone else.

B) Schools don't emphasize enough the manner to handle customers that ensure you are always over scheduled for work. I observed this in my own house rebuild. Contractors not giving a shit about your property, "What me clean up my mess?", "Oh those snipped off wire cuttings are a hazard to your freshly finished floors?". I have no idea what hot mess you buried behind the sheetrock but if I see you putting Tyvek shoe covers on over your muddy boots before you walk in my house your hired.

The only way to make real money is to work for yourself.

My crew of friends went to trade school at a time that doing so was considered the last step before embarking on a crime career. The most pot burnt out kids I know are now driving around in big box vans with their names on them and they have second vacation homes on the lake. They try to turn down work by giving huge prices loaded with profit and the reply is usually "Can you start tomorrow?"

Ive had a good time in my two post Marine Corps careers but Im just a wage earner.

Go build your own trade business to determine your own path and become the entrepreneur.

kthomas,
With your age and health you should have a pretty wide range of choices. I agree with one of the above mentioned replies about being careful not to get into a situation such as working in a field you LOVE but are working for someone else. Your enjoyment could end quickly when a favorite hobby becomes a job.
I love going to work on days i am scheduled. That being said, with the education degree you hold, you could look into specialty areas of the Fire Service. The IAFF has positions where folks travel the united states offering two to five day classes as instructors on many topics. For example, if I understand your education background correctly, you could get a pretty quick certification in HAZMAT instruction.
The guys doing this right now get to pick their choice of where and when they are going around putting on classes. They travel as far as they choose and are often treated with red carpet hospitality at the fire houses and facilities they are teaching at.
That was just one example, i hope it was of value. Regardless, I hope you find something challengine, rewarding, and that you enjoy getting up for everyday. Best of luck!
Chris

A lot will depend on what you want out of life, and of course, what your wife wants. It's easy when your single and no one is counting on you to help get them to where they want to go as well. Sometimes you do have to chase the money to get where you want, but then you get to where you thought you wanted, and the view isn't as awesome as you hoped.

My two cents.... start your own business eventually. Ask yourself this - what did you spend time as a kid doing? Not the riding bikes, or playing in the sand box with Tonka trucks thing, but when you had to stay inside or keep yourself occupied until you could ride your bike or play in the sandbox. For me it was drawing, and part of that was doing floor plans on graph paper when I was 4.

My reality check came in the 2007-2009 recession - was on a great trajectory with my career, plenty of money, collecting assets, life was grand. But being one of the highest paid employees anywhere I went had a fatal flaw - you're first up for the chopping block. Wife wasn't affected with her industry, so, I had some time to figure it out.

Ended up going from a highly technical, highly-skilled, and high responsibility job to all kinds of other things I would've never considered, you know, because it was "beneath me". I found the joys of doing some mindless work for a change - ran some snow removal crews for $25/hour, did some property management/maintenance for another outfit for decent money, hell, I even started doing house cleaning and scrubbing toilets to fill in some gaps - and I made bank, because I cleaned everyplace like my mom or Jesus himself was coming to stay - clients LOVED my work. I actually got a little addicted to the "mindless and low-liability" types of work, and it was really life-changing. I was actually less stressed, dare I say "happier", and my mind was freed up to start dreaming again about what I was going to do with the rest of my life.

Fast forward a few years, I eventually went back to my old ways. The last office I worked at started having money problems, and the writing was on the wall. I put in my notice, and decided to go out on my own. Five years later, I'm a successful sole proprietor, making more money than I ever would in someone else's office, doing what I always thought I wanted to do. Yes, it's a whole different kind of stress, but it's very rewarding. It's mine, my name's on it, I dictate who I work with and on what types of projects. You end up working more hours, but it's not the same as working for anyone else. I actually can't see myself going back to the "old ways".

So, blah blah blah about me, the point is, there's no job security except the one you make for yourself. Even then, I may have to close up shop eventually, but shit, I did it, and it helps me know I can do it again with something else.

Figure out what your true passions are, and experiment with some out-of-your-wheelhouse type work in the meantime - you might be surprised.

Good luck, get after it, and have a positive attitude. You can teach anyone skills, but you can't train an attitude.

EDIT: My buddy who I used to work with, left his six-figure well drilling job, and makes his month's salary making fresh donuts at weekend festivals. Fucking donuts! Told me about a guy they run into at these festivals who makes a certain type of cotton candy - people lined up ALL day putting 5 dollar bills into his register. Yeah, I'm looking at cotton candy machines now ;)

Last edited:
Male Jiggalo. Make it happen, my man. Its tax time and ugly bitches got money to spend for some luvin.

• Haha
Reactions: OlRed and kthomas
Thought about it, my temporary time off I'm calling myself a "stay at home dog dad" :ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately I think I would get bored to death if I did it long term.

Funny. Thats what I keep threatening to be, though I call it dog nanny. She needs to pay! She counters with the threat that she'll get more dogs. Back to work.

I am not offering advice, just relaying what happened to me. In early May 2011, I got laid off, O&G industry, I immediately claimed to the missus I was taking the rest of the yr off to shoot and drink, fix or change a few things around the place.
By Jan the next yr when I actively pursued employment, every friggin interview I had, the focal point seemed to be the time span between jobs. I can say it hurt my chances, I had to answer why, and I'm not really adept at outright lying, but if I had just had some volunteer time in that span, I may have fared better. I did manage to stretch a few truths though, replacing flooring, new fence, and a couple more were completed, just not by me, I wrote fucking checks.
Coupled with my age at the time, 52, it was not in my best interest to make sure Budwieser's stock did not dip while I sat on my ass. I bet I did shoot at least a 180 days that yr, lol

I believe their is going to be a hell of an opportunity in the near future teaching millennials remedial English, coping skills, basic use of hand tools, learning how to shave, etc. An enterprising individual could start small with online course, then branch out into actual campuses around leftist cities.

Pilot is a good idea if you are interested in flying. You are young enough for it to pay off, well. Takes awhile but with time on your side and the misses in a good career you are set up to succeed.

@kthomas I know you are probably not at this point yet, and want to take some time off, but it might not be a bad idea to reach out to a head hunter or talent recruiter in the Tuscan Az area and let them know where you are at. They would have the best pulse on what the area needs or has to offer.

My friends who did leave O&G to start new employment immediately all did through head hunters or talent recruiters. Although I will say the overwhelming majority just quit O&G and sorted out their next jobs later.

Be very cautious with the self employed concept. I have been for 30 years. Being your own boss, is the biggest lie in the world. You always work for someone. Self employment and owning your own business can be rewarding, but it is certain to be a bumpy road.

Be very cautious with the self employed concept. I have been for 30 years. Being your own boss, is the biggest lie in the world. You always work for someone. Self employment and owning your own business can be rewarding, but it is certain to be a bumpy road.

The goose that lays golden eggs needs to be fed and cared for 24/7.

And it wont lay if you don't talk sweet to it.

You live in the desert, in a state with a booming population, you know how to drill....

Water is going to be the next oil, Arizona is way behind other states in terms of ground water development and regulation in rural areas. They did a good job getting cities to build sustainably, using river system water but they are close to maxing out from what I’ve heard.

All the population centers in the West are going to be fucked in a decade at these rates of development. California, Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Colorado - all have too many people concentrated into arid environments.

There's an old saying that goes like this- "If you want to make God laugh..... Tell him what your plan is"... Slow down, do some praying and just keep your mind and eyes open. There are opportunities around every corner. The difficult part is to know an opportunity when it looks you in the eye...

Best of Luck,

Hobo

Refrigeration, be your own boss. Avoid having employees at all cost. Repeat avoid having employees. Employees suck the life out of you from head to toe. Do something you can manage on your own. My refer guy costs A grand to come up my driveway. Works his own schedule. No whining employees.
Rant over.....

Wow, some great conversation already guys! I appreciate all the thoughts and comments, lots for me to digest in here.

Hi,

I went from .gov to firearms manufacturer and opening ballistics company at this very moment within the past 8 months; so I am done switching, lolol.

Whatever you decide; make sure it is something you enjoy (especially if you are going to be your own boss).

You ever thought of opening up a fiberglass/carbon stock manufacturing company???

Sincerely,
Theis

I've been watching your transition, and I think it's really impressive what you are building for yourself with your brand Hoplite Arms. Not that I have any ambitions to start a firearm company, but seeing what you have been creating is inspiring to say the least.

As far as fiberglass or carbon fiber stocks go - can't say I've thought much about it. The fiberglass stock market seems to be well represented, especially with the big players such as McMillan and Manners, plus the hunting crowd which there's a lot of stock makers. I'm not sure what I would be able to offer that McMillan or Manners already don't, but I haven't really thought much about it.

There doesn't seem to be near as many players in the carbon fiber stock game, from what I see, so perhaps there's opportunities there. While I don't have any experience working with carbon fiber (or fiberglass) one of my friends in Tucson just had a childhood friend move back, who's got expertise in carbon fiber and I believe is somewhat interested in starting his own business capitalizing on that skillset...

Seeing what John Kyle has done with Foundation stocks is pretty neat. While I don't have any of his stocks, I really respect what he's accomplished.

Are you in to fitness? How about opening a gym? Look up Starting Strength. They are wanting to expand.

You definitely didn't see my thread in the fitness section :ROFLMAO:

While I'm a healthy young adult in half decent shape, I'm definitely not an exercise nut, so probably not the best candidate for that...

Current career sucks, but i've been freeze drying my stem cells for years so I can come back in the future and RULE OVER HUMANITY. I wonder if they have steaks in the future...

• Haha
Thanks but no thanks for liking my post. I just got notified of a new trophy I didn't need to receive. The thought of me knocking up lowlight is pretty gross.

• Love
Thanks but no thanks for liking my post. I just got notified of a new trophy I didn't need to receive. The thought of me knocking up lowlight is pretty gross.

There's another one for ya, since you seem to enjoy them so much :ROFLMAO:

Hi,

Don't look at is as what would be able to offer in regards to product to product.......
The fact that their market can handle a 7-10+ month lead time says that market can definitely handle another player in the game, :)

Sincerely,
Theis

That's a very fair point, and certainly one worth considering.

I'm definitely not opposed to being in the firearm industry and supporting this community. I'm an absolute gear head when it comes to this sport.

I was a machinist for 25 odd years before moving to management. I would be happy to just get back to cutting steel. The machines don't give you any attitude, they just hurt you REAL bad if you fuck up! I respect that! And making a few gun parts would be fun too! :)

Reactions: Superjet
If your starting over who here wouldn't want to be like Lowlight ?

The O&G industry isn’t even a mere glimpse of it’s former self from when we started @kthomas . No one is happy; drilling contractors, service providers, operators. Your next day offshore is no longer guaranteed if you work hard and are honest. It is all political now and has become poisoned by the shareholders.

I am in my 8th year as well and looking for a way out. I peaked about 4 years ago when I crossed over to DD; so I am where I am in my career. I have no desire to move from Alabama, nor do i want to move to the office and become part of the problem. I close on house in April and after that anything is fair game.

Having said all that, I absolutely love directional drilling, but all the corporate bs has ruined it for me.

There is still some good work out there but it is mainly with the mom and pop companies on the shelf and US Land.

I still think O&G is one massive correction away from righting the sinking industry. The big problem is that there is no level of certainty that can predict when it’ll happen. Production massively still outpaces drilling and that at some point will become a big problem.

Ideas I have had as far as career change with crossover aspects:
1.) Directional Drilling for utilities. Ditch Witch or Vermeer will provide the training with the purchase of a unit. They have financing so you don’t loose a lump sum of capitol up front. You’ll need a diesel preferably a dually. Your state should have a .gov website for bidding on utility work.
2.) Water well drilling (HVAC or water). Similar concept as above. I havnt ironed out the leads on equipment as much.
3.) All my other ideas are in O&G and not sure you want to go that route ?

The writing is on the wall for O&G. It will certainly be around for our lifetime, but I think the golden years are gone. There's a lot of barriers facing the industry: bad stigma due to the new "wokeness" and climate change, depressed commodity prices, and issues with talent attraction and retention, just to name a few.

Lots of people wanting to get out of this industry, with most people sticking with it as they don't know what else to do and are afraid to make the jump. And you are right, lots of people are very unhappy with the current state of the industry and their careers.

Wages are flat or even declining, with other industries starting to catch up and surpass O&G in pay. The work is getting more and more demanding, with executives and management demanding that the operations go cheaper and faster so they can continue to pay their shareholders their dividends even with the deflated price of the commodity. I've taken a big pay cut, took a big detour in my career which I didn't want, the quality of life on location has taken a decrease for the sake of cost cuts - I can go on and on.

One of the worst parts about it is that the safety and principals of our operations have been jeopardized by all these pay cuts. The company I worked for was excellent in regards to safety and integrity, one of the best in the industry. What I've seen lately is very concerning. We now have what I call "flexible integrity", integrity only matters if it doesn't cost the company money. Standard Operating Procedures went from being considered company law to now recommendations (and only if it doesn't cost the company more time and money). What's extra frustrating is that the company and management still pretends that our value system and SOP's are important, but the untold expectation is that we do whatever we need to in order to cut costs. This means if an incident occurs and company policy/SOP is beached (which is expected of us now), I know that management isn't going to stick their neck out for their employees. The individual employee accepts all the liability, all for the sake of enriching the shareholders.

And don't even get me started on the politics and the illegal hiring and promotion practices these companies are employing for the sake of being "woke".

Yeah, the industry has certainly gone downhill.

Reactions: blbennett1288
Start your own consultancy firm advising the oil & gas industry about how to become more ESG oriented and sustainable as a business. There is a massive global trend towards sustainability and it’s going to drive huge change across the world. Nobody has it figured out....old economy companies like O&G are screwed but have the cash flow (today) and shareholder base that will allow them to create new paths....it will be exactly like when old economy media started buying new online companies...think Time Warner acquiring AOL many years ago. You understand the industry, you speak their language and they need external advice and help on what green / sustainable companies to buy, what strategies to pursue and how to transition. As a side gig, you can then advise hedge funds and other institutional investors on which old economy oil & gas companies will succeed and which are just slapping a coat of paint over the pig. You can do it from home, doesn’t require huge working capital...a PC, presentations and some get up and go. The only thing you are lacking is knowledge of the sustainable world but with your background you could figure that out. You have some big University Endowments in AZ that are going to drive this change. Go talk to them about their investments in Oil & Gas companies and what they are starting to demand from the managers who run their capital.

It’s not completely re-inventing yourself so that has positives and also negatives.

Interesting angle. I'll pick your brain some more when we meet up in WA for our shooting trip.

Ill throw something out there I haven't seen mentioned...

I'm amazed at people with popular social media/youtube channels.

These people somehow find something they love to do - and just make videos and get paid. i know it takes a lot of work and creativity to get there but if you can make it happen - i feel it would be super rewarding.

depending on what it is - it might not be long term sustainable. but something to do for a few years and if it takes off - you can make a shit ton of money.

i day dream all the time about quitting my job and just filming myself doing all the stuff i like to do and somehow making a channel out of it. you wonder to yourself "who the hell is gonna watch that?"

I remember watching the "googan" squad kids start their youtube fishing channels while in college - they blew up. now they just travel all over and fish and dropped out of school. then started their own bait/rod companies.

another guy i'm hooked on is from Canada and his job is literally to go camping and film himself doing bushcraft stuff. he bought a badass house for his family - his wife quit her job...and he just camps.

something to think about

You live in the desert, in a state with a booming population, you know how to drill....

Water is going to be the next oil, Arizona is way behind other states in terms of ground water development and regulation in rural areas. They did a good job getting cities to build sustainably, using river system water but they are close to maxing out from what I’ve heard.

All the population centers in the West are going to be fucked in a decade at these rates of development. California, Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Colorado - all have too many people concentrated into arid environments.

I think you are absolutely right about this. The southern states are on an unsustainable path with how water is currently managed with the Colorado River.

Definitely may be a great opportunity and something that I could apply my current skillset to. Certainly worthy of some more consideration.

Another big one may be helium drilling, of which AZ has some of the biggest reservoirs in the world. Commonly used in tech and medical industries, and it's rapidly growing in value.

Ill throw something out there I haven't seen mentioned...

I'm amazed at people with popular social media/youtube channels.

These people somehow find something they love to do - and just make videos and get paid. i know it takes a lot of work and creativity to get there but if you can make it happen - i feel it would be super rewarding.

depending on what it is - it might not be long term sustainable. but something to do for a few years and if it takes off - you can make a shit ton of money.

i day dream all the time about quitting my job and just filming myself doing all the stuff i like to do and somehow making a channel out of it. you wonder to yourself "who the hell is gonna watch that?"

I remember watching the "googan" squad kids start their youtube fishing channels while in college - they blew up. now they just travel all over and fish and dropped out of school. then started their own bait/rod companies.

another guy i'm hooked on is from Canada and his job is literally to go camping and film himself doing bushcraft stuff. he bought a badass house for his family - his wife quit her job...and he just camps.

something to think about

I think it's absolutely incredible what some people have done to generate revenue with online media such as YouTube. Hell, some of the cooking shows I was recently shown by friends on YouTube have upwards of millions of subscribers.

There's a guy that's not far from my hometown that has one of the largest RC channels on YouTube, this was shown to me by a good buddy who is really into RC's. He has a whole gold mining operation setup in his backyard with miniaturized RC gold mining operation. There's another where a guy eats old MRE's.

Who would've thought that having these random YouTube channels would create a lot of very wealthy people.

Reactions: Olen_4504
Have you ever heard of an insurance company or branch that doesnt make money? Everyone I know that owns thier own insurance company has more money than they know what to do with. I worked in aviation for 15 years and learned that if you want to be a family man, aviation is not the career path for that. Also, there is some old obsolete laws on the books called "the railway labor act" that will turn your life upside down for half of your career, leaving you in limbo when it comes to predicting income. Major airlines are well invested in federal and state politicians. They get away with screwing their employees with no consequences. I had to find an industry where they cant farm out your work over seas, or replace you with a cheap fly by night contractor. The Passenger Elevator industry is the highest paying trade in the US. No other trade is allowed to run cranes, do steel work, electrical, hydraulic, etc. on IUEC job sites. If you dont want to be a licensed mechanic and work with your hands, You could slide into a management/office position with your background. PM me if you want more information on the elevator industry.

LOL. Its fine now. That last one was number 250 i guess, at which point I got a notice that said I got a trophy for wanting to have lowlights love child. Something tells me he doesn't wax or bleach.

Have you ever heard of an insurance company or branch that doesnt make money? Everyone I know that owns thier own insurance company has more money than they know what to do with. I worked in aviation for 15 years and learned that if you want to be a family man, aviation is not the career path for that. Also, there is some old obsolete laws on the books called "the railway labor act" that will turn your life upside down for half of your career, leaving you in limbo when it comes to predicting income. Major airlines are well invested in federal and state politicians. They get away with screwing their employees with no consequences. I had to find an industry where they cant farm out your work over seas, or replace you with a cheap fly by night contractor. The Passenger Elevator industry is the highest paying trade in the US. No other trade is allowed to run cranes, do steel work, electrical, hydraulic, etc. on IUEC job sites. If you dont want to be a licensed mechanic and work with your hands, You could slide into a management/office position with your background. PM me if you want more information on the elevator industry.

My step dad worked for Otis in the DC region for 17 years before he passed. he made a killing - enough to support 4 kids and my mom to stay at home in a comfortable house.

If any of you are drillers, id look into starting your own deep earth grounding business! I spec it a lot and only see the same two contractors bidding on it. $25-50k, to drill the hole, throw some copper in it, some bentonite in it, measure the resistance, next. Im sure i am simplifying it.

Reactions: blbennett1288
The writing is on the wall for O&G. It will certainly be around for our lifetime, but I think the golden years are gone. There's a lot of barriers facing the industry: bad stigma due to the new "wokeness" and climate change, depressed commodity prices, and issues with talent attraction and retention, just to name a few.

Lots of people wanting to get out of this industry, with most people sticking with it as they don't know what else to do and are afraid to make the jump. And you are right, lots of people are very unhappy with the current state of the industry and their careers.

Wages are flat or even declining, with other industries starting to catch up and surpass O&G in pay. The work is getting more and more demanding, with executives and management demanding that the operations go cheaper and faster so they can continue to pay their shareholders their dividends even with the deflated price of the commodity. I've taken a big pay cut, took a big detour in my career which I didn't want, the quality of life on location has taken a decrease for the sake of cost cuts - I can go on and on.

One of the worst parts about it is that the safety and principals of our operations have been jeopardized by all these pay cuts. The company I worked for was excellent in regards to safety and integrity, one of the best in the industry. What I've seen lately is very concerning. We now have what I call "flexible integrity", integrity only matters if it doesn't cost the company money. Standard Operating Procedures went from being considered company law to now recommendations (and only if it doesn't cost the company more time and money). What's extra frustrating is that the company and management still pretends that our value system and SOP's are important, but the untold expectation is that we do whatever we need to in order to cut costs. This means if an incident occurs and company policy/SOP is beached (which is expected of us now), I know that management isn't going to stick their neck out for their employees. The individual employee accepts all the liability, all for the sake of enriching the shareholders.

And don't even get me started on the politics and the illegal hiring and promotion practices these companies are employing for the sake of being "woke".

Yeah, the industry has certainly gone downhill.
A lot of people want to get out but never do because they don’t want to make the jump and take the pay CUT. Where else can a worm go and start at the bottom making $60-70,000 a year. Guys that specialize make an easy six figures and some many times over. This is why people don’t leave or if they do, return quickly. I am an example of this. If I leave, i will likely take a $100,000 a year pay cut. @kthomas you will too.

If you get out, you will be back. That’s the reality.

Reactions: clcustom1911
I'm about to myself. Nursing though. I'm getting medically retired from the army for my neck and hiaital hernia

A lot of people want to get out but never do because they don’t want to make the jump and take the pay CUT. Where else can a worm go and start at the bottom making $60-70,000 a year. Guys that specialize make an easy six figures and some many times over. This is why people don’t leave or if they do, return quickly. I am an example of this. If I leave, i will likely take a $100,000 a year pay cut. @kthomas you will too.

If you get out, you will be back. That’s the reality.

I already took a huge paycut when my company transferred me back to Canada two years ago. If I took a $100,000 USD/year paycut I would be making negative money :ROFLMAO:

My wife is a Pathologist Assistant and makes a lot more then I do now, I stopped making the "big oilfield money" a couple of years ago. Combine that with the Canadian taxes up here, I think I could be a shelf stocker at Costco down in AZ and make more after tax money then I do now...

I already took a huge paycut when my company transferred me back to Canada two years ago. If I took a $100,000 USD/year paycut I would be making negative money :ROFLMAO:

My wife is a Pathologist Assistant and makes a lot more then I do now, I stopped making the "big oilfield money" a couple of years ago. Combine that with the Canadian taxes up here, I think I could be a shelf stocker at Costco down in AZ and make more after tax money then I do now...
It is a dry heat!

• Love
Reactions: clcustom1911
I can't help you out for a career change later in life. From the age of 21 until 55, I worked for the same company. I wore many hats, went up the ladder, came back down on my own terms and finally decided to retire at 55. But, if I had to do it all over again, I would become a farm animal vet. Kinda like Dr Pol.

Medicine has always been a hobby of mine, vet care comes in handy when you have a side business raising and selling reptiles. I am very intrigued about all aspects of medicine. However, I doubt I would have ever became an MD treating people. I just don't like enough people to do that job.