• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Illinois resident, buying a long gun in California.

shekelscribe

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2020
Chicago, Illinois
Hey there,

This topic might be a long shot but I'd like to know if, as a Illinois resident living in California temporarily, can I buy a long gun and still have it registered to my Illinois home address? Or do I have to register it in Cali? If so, how do weapon transfers work? Anyone dealt with this?

Thanks for any replies in advance. I did some research on this but couldn't get a solid answer.

i don't believe california recognizes "dual residency", so you would likely have to register it here, assuming you already satisfy the residency requirements.
if an expert doesn't chime in, you may be able to get an answer at calguns.net.

So either you are a resident of CA-
Drivers license
Car registration
State taxes

or you are not

you can buy a firearm anywhere... the seller has to ship it to your local FFL and you dros with the local FFL. (Federal law)

California requires all firearm transfers to be processed with an FFL

so you cannot buy a gun from a friend / ca resident to ca resident without going through a dealer and spending a lot for the transfer

you also cannot buy ammo in California unless you are a resident of California.

Yes - you must be a resident of CA, pass a background check to buy ammo in CA

ca residents must also pass an Ammo buyer background check - for a fee to buy ammo

tourists can bring Ammo with them into California- so bring all your ammo with you if driving.

Resident cannot return to CA with Ammo unless it was purchased via a background check in CA.

So either you are a resident of CA-
Drivers license
Car registration
State taxes

or you are not

you can buy a firearm anywhere... the seller has to ship it to your local FFL and you dros with the local FFL.

California requires all firearm transfers to be processed with an FFL

so you cannot buy a gun from a friend.

you also cannot buy ammo in California unless you are a resident of California.
ca residents must also pass an Ammo buyer background check - for a fee to buy ammo

tourists can bring Ammo with them into California
Resident cannot return to CA with Ammo unless it was purchased via a background check.
DA FUC?

Okay I appreciate the prompt replies but I'm still a bit confused, I guess ill ask the direct question.

I am:
Illinois resident (I have FOID, IL drivers license,) who is active duty in Cali

Can I buy the long gun In store in Cali, have it with me, BUT register it to my home address in Illinois? Or do I have to have it registered to a physical address in California?

Again sorry for the confusion.

Okay I appreciate the prompt replies but I'm still a bit confused, I guess ill ask the direct question.

I am:
Illinois resident (I have FOID, IL drivers license,) who is active duty in Cali

Can I buy the long gun In store in Cali, have it with me, BUT register it to my home address in Illinois? Or do I have to have it registered to a physical address in California?

Again sorry for the confusion.
go shit in street and take pic of it! Send to governor. That will give you automatic residency!

Get the fuck out of them communist states and buy whatever you want. I hear colorado is nice

He is under military orders to be in that communist state, people who serve don't always get the luxury of where they end up.

Montrose