• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm just about done with gun shops

dang472

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 3, 2012
    Kingston, IL
    I believe I've reached the point where I've heard every ridiculous story, Zombie talk, UTG AR part, and over priced firearm in the tri-state area. With the latest gun boom, I think it's brought up the level of Ri-tards to historic heights. I'm tired of every shop catering to the lowest common denominator or even worse pushing sub standard equipment to new shooters who don't know any better. I realize how many new shooters there are and women are profitable demographic, but these fuckers are preying on the ignorant. My dad just told me the local shop was trying to convince him their CenterPoint scopes would run right with Vortex and Leupold. Don't miss out on their HiPoint sale this weekend! Reliable and American Made! Cobra 380s! $179!!! Fuck yeah, I need that shit!

Now that I got my dad back interested in gun stuff, I'm fielding phone calls like "why do I need a $400 scope when Paulie just bought one for $79 at a gun show and it seems to be fine." It would be nice if the local gun shops were pushing the better equipment, but instead they seem agree with the Chinese gun accessory mentality.

I realize not everybody needs an AI with a S&B and Joe Dandy Deer Hunter is just fine with a Savage 30-06 with a 3-9 Nikon, but these gun shops seem to be lower than that. Fuck, a Nikon Monarch puts you in the "snobby, rich guy" category nowadays.

I've tried to support the locals but the Airsoft Multicam chest rigs, $1500 Keltec KSGs, and Zombie Eotechs have pushed me to the interwebs.

Im the same way man. I got permanently barred from a gun store.
    An old man comes in with a mint condition Pre-64 Model 94 that was a 1 of 500 edition.
    The guy at the counter's eyes lit up when he realized the old man didn't know what he had. He tells the old guy that the medallion in the stock kind of wrecked the value, but "I'll go out on a limb for you and give you $150).
    I butted in and told him I'd give him $1k for it, but he still wouldn't be getting a good deal. The old man asked what I knew that the guy behind the counter didn't know. I said "Oh he knows, look at his face!" lol.
    Guy behind the counter tells me that he is trying to make a living and that I am no longer welcome. Oh well, his loss, I had money to spend that day.

I'm in the same boat with you. I have witnessed attempted robbery by gun shop owners ($75.00 for a near mint Remington 742) to the point that I no longer go to the gun shops. It's been over 2 years since I actually went into a real gun shop. My firearm fix must be quenched by Cabalas, Bass Pro and online. Purchases on done online and shipped to a repair shop near my office.

I go into gun stores 2-3 times a year. Why I don't know? Guess I get bored and want to confirm that there is still little there of interest to me but always hope otherwise.

Maybe if I lived near Mile High Shooting it'd be different.

Yea it's pretty bad. I'm to the point now that I just stop by to see what kind of new crap they are trying to push.

I still crack up when people walk in and ask to see their most bad ass sniper rifle.

Yep ... things in the gun shop appear over priced but more alarming is the lack of knowledge behind the counter. I'm through with gun shops and rely on my competition friends and forums like the Hide to educate me.

I actually watched one employee show another one his personal Wasr10 that he just mounted a new TruGlo red dot on. They both were playing with it and the guy says "The drum mag was pretty tight at first but I just kept playing with it while watching Game of Thrones. My girlfriend wondered what the hell I was doing". I should've stepped in there and called BS because there is no way this garden gnome had a girlfriend.

There's a shop by me where the guy open carries a high point .45 and the rest stand around nod in agreement that the Judge is the best home defense gun ever made. FGMM 168gr is $45+/box and I took my girlfriend in there one day and got the stink eye from the woman manager that thought I wasn't doing it right. They are nice people though, so at least they have that going for them.

There's another shop by me and the guy carries like an 8" 44 in a shoulder holster. I thought it was a nice choice.

Last edited:
    I go into gun stores 2-3 times a year. Why I don't know? Guess I get bored and want to confirm that there is still little there of interest to me but always hope otherwise.

Maybe if I lived near Mile High Shooting it'd be different.

Yeap, we're kind of spoiled around here, there's a few good shops around and you can normally get stuff over the counter that requires long waits on custom orders in many places. Of course that doesn't apply to reloading components though, since there's so many people aorund here that load the brick and mortar shops are cleaned out in no time.

You guys are shopping at the wrong shop. I shop at colonial armory in Arlington, tn. They have thunderbeast, surefire, Seekins, AI, vortex, and other great stuff at great prices. Colonial armory also has one of the most knowledgable guys behind the counter I have met. I don't shop at other local shops because they don't carry anything I am interested in.

Im the same way man. I got permanently barred from a gun store.
    An old man comes in with a mint condition Pre-64 Model 94 that was a 1 of 500 edition.
    The guy at the counter's eyes lit up when he realized the old man didn't know what he had. He tells the old guy that the medallion in the stock kind of wrecked the value, but "I'll go out on a limb for you and give you $150).
    I butted in and told him I'd give him $1k for it, but he still wouldn't be getting a good deal. The old man asked what I knew that the guy behind the counter didn't know. I said "Oh he knows, look at his face!" lol.
    Guy behind the counter tells me that he is trying to make a living and that I am no longer welcome. Oh well, his loss, I had money to spend that day.

Good for you.

You guys are shopping at the wrong shop. I shop at colonial armory in Arlington, tn. They have thunderbeast, surefire, Seekins, AI, vortex, and other great stuff at great prices. Colonial armory also has one of the most knowledgable guys behind the counter I have met. I don't shop at other local shops because they don't carry anything I am interested in.

Yeah I've done some business with Rangerwalker here on the Hide. It would be awesome if that was my local shop.

Thankfully I live 30 minutes from Mile High Shooting! I also have a local cop shop that's a hole in the wall that sells us all our stuff for about 10-15% over cost.

When I go to a gunshop I already know exactly what I am looking for and if I don't see it on the shelves I walk out without even asking because I know the answer will be either something retarded similar to what the OP describes or "we can order that for you" (which obviously I can do as well without giving them a cut).

I'm lucky to have some really good established shops around me. The issue I have seen are the small pop ups catering to the tacticool crowd. I usually hear a bunch of the bs from these clowns saying NF and Barska are made by the same company and UTG is what "operators" use.
    Don't even get me started on gunshows; possibly the biggest waste of time and money I have experienced over the last decade. Between the ridiculous markup, the stench, and the never ending horde of "Former MACV SOG operators" on their rascal scooters, I am done with that circus. It is basically a live version of ARFCOM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm lucky to have some really good established shops around me. The issue I have seen are the small pop ups catering to the tacticool crowd. I usually hear a bunch of the bs from these clowns saying NF and Barska are made by the same company and UTG is what "operators" use.
    Don't even get me started on gunshows; possibly the biggest waste of time and money I have experienced over the last decade. Between the ridiculous markup, the stench, and the never ending horde of "Former MACV SOG operators" on their rascal scooters, I am done with that circus. It is basically a live version of ARFCOM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL.....so freaking true

There is a Very Large GS near me. They have everything I could imagine needing for shooting and reloading. They are so rude, though, that I drive past them on most shopping days and order my bullets and powder online. My little local pawnshop does my transfers for $15 when the don't have/can't order what I need.

My shooting budget is nowhere near what some of you guys spend, but I am a consistent customer and don't try to beat shops to death on a gun deal. But I will not be treated rudely. And it is not just me. Many friends have had the same experience.

Within the last 6 months...

Do you have the S&W M&P CORE? "Haven't heard of it but I have Glock 26s on sale this Saturday. Police departments always have Glocks"

You have any rifles chambered in 22 Hornet? "Why would you want something like that? 223 Rem is way more popular"

To a dealer who usually has a large selection of Winchester 94s....Do you have any pre-64 30-30s is rough to fair shape? I'm wanting to send one to Turnbull. "If you do that, you'll kill the resale value. It's better to just leave them alone.

My buddy was an FFL dealer out of his house and always said he wouldn't question the stuff people wanted to order. I feel like I come across as a guy who knows what I want and I don't need some dickbag behind the counter trying to pawn off his latest shipment of police trade in Glocks. When I ask about a M&P VTAC, I don't need a spiel about his personal XDM or Glocks Safe Action Trgger. Save that bullshit for someone who walks in and asks "This is my first handgun, what do you recommend?" I don't need the crotchety old man lecturing me on resale value of a Winchester 94 that I have no plans to ever sell. I don't need the Cabela's 12yr old telling me to stick with 223 Rem because "you can find factory ammo for it" when I've got more reloads at my house than factory ammo on their shelves.

In the past I've always stayed local if the final price was within 30-40 bucks. Now I believe it's time to just pay the $25 transfer fee and escape with my sanity.

This thread is funny and sad at the same time....If they think I am a snob for asking for something, their loss. I love little orange boxes and green ones too. I measure most shops by their smell. There needs to be at least some rag reeking of Hoppes.......

I used to go to a gunshop in my hometown but they jumped on the whole panic craze and went way overboard on prices (i know capitalism). Then I started to come on here to learn about long range shooting and realized they had no idea what they were talking about. Between those two things, I have no reason to spend my money in there for anything other than the good prices they have on Glocks.

I now try to order everything online, whether it's here or the vendors like Mile High, Eurooptic or CStactical. A fellow fire fighter and family friend has his FFL and I go through him for transfers. He's getting his SOT/Class 3 license (not sure on actual terminology for being a suppressor dealer) soon so I'll be using him for my first suppressor purchase as well.

I have learned in the past 50 years of being in this industry that there are more "experts" in the field of firearms than any other.

And the internet has more than the local gun shops.

I too have been banned from a local gun shop, a guy came in and wanted to sell a once fired 92F beretta with box and extra clip.
    The guy behind the counter offered him $300 and I gave him $500 for it on the spot, a good price for him and me, oh well they
    will miss my money.

Last edited:
    My LGS is pretty much the same. The owners are friends of friends, the only reason I go is to see my gunsmith friend who works in the back. When I walk in I say greetings to the owner and manager and sometimes we stop and chat.... the latest little chat involved him telling me how he lowered prices, prices coming down, stock going up, etc.... then he dives into starting talking about how he test fires every rifle that comes in the door. He hands them all off to the gunsmith so he can spin each barrel up and on the lathe and inspects every barrel that way... he said they send so many back because they aren't shooters, etc...

So, I'm looking for an option for carry for the next month or two, maybe three, tops, right?

It's gotta be somewhat insubstantial in recoil, since I intend to shoot it out of a hand (my right) that's had surgery. I can't use my left for shooting for thirty to sixty days, perhaps ninety.

So, I'm thinking .32 ACP or .32 S&W Long, not exactly killer calibers, but what I know I can handle in the right hand and at least piss a target off.

Ideally, I'd like to find a CZ 82 or 83 in .32 ACP, or a S&W M. 30 or 31 in .32 S&W Long. The first, most people don't let them go, and the second, you find a lot of flat-latch, P&R examples at nosebleed prices.

So I call up the three closest LGSs. Shops one and two listen to me explain what I need and why. They go over what they have that might fit the bill and discuss other options. Both are polite, friendly, first-class operations.

Shop three listens to me and then says, "The .32 ACP is an insubstantial round that is inappropriate for personal defense. Yatta yatta yatta yatta Glock 26."

Thank you, and good day. Guess which shop I rarely buy anything from?

Just for the giggles, I bought a lil' pimp-lookin' Italian .25 ACP from shop number two.

You want 7 different (and wrong) hard and fast facts about guns, ask 1 question to 1 employee in 3 different gun shops or 3 employees in 1 shop, or any one customer in any shop.

The way FUD and stupidity are spread in gun shops is hilarious and sad. You want a good predictor about a shops ability to not be totally stupid, look for a varied selection and clean floors.

Last edited:
    ill give a view from the other side of the counter. i wont give out any info cause I'm not a sponsor and i love this site. and the dude abides to the rules. and i do agree with what most of you say about a lot of dealers. i own a very small gun shop in a very small town it's me I'm 33 and two old nam vets. i lock my doors most of the time because i cant deal with the amount of idiots that will roll in and want to talk about grandpas marlin 22 for 3 hours,and not buy a damn thing. trust me it goes both ways. I've built up a cliental that is mostly serious shooters or rich guys.(jesus that sounds bad) i live two blocks from the shop i meet people here whenever. and i get people what they want if i don't got it. usually overnight. we operate on a personal level, get to know these guys bullshit with em hang out in the shop. and most of them have became good friends. we also do the occasional gun show and end up cleaning house because we just sit there and don't speak unless spoken to, no pressure. we sit back and laugh at all the used car salesman tactics.

The gun shop business has changed a lot in the last year. there are a lot of people who got into guns because of the scare. while overall thats a great thing because it helps the cause of gun rights and advocates. it also brought in a lot of people just because it's the popular thing to do. there are a lot of shops going out of business. because after the boom there is always a bust. guys cant give away ar's or most poly pistols right now. (but hey they were selling em for 2k last year) competition is stiff. alot of people went out and got there home based ffl's after this deal. again cause it was a cool thing to do. and thought they could make a quick buck. and are selling guns for $20.00 over cost in the local classifides. i cant afford to do that. if thats who you want to deal with thats your right. but remember local gun shops are trying to make a living to. you don't work for free do you. They put tax dollars in to your community. usually support local charities with raffles etc. provide firearms education and training. if you feel good saving a few bucks, by buying stuff where most of the products don't come from this country. and most of the profits go back to another country power to ya. (if a person mentions Walmart prices in my shop i walk off end of conversation. i don't deal with cheap bastards, i give the best deal i can)
    But good shops will help you get what you want at a reasonable price. and be there after the sale. try taking you gun into academy the day after you bought it because the truglow front sight fell off the first time you shot it.

for every knowledgeable shooter who want to talk about gap,larue,or night force and surgeons. or are into shooting and reloading like we are and are cool people i learn somthing from. i have to talk to 50 people looking for a magazine for some obsolete imported saturday night special or a part for uncle joe's 100 year old no name 410. or they ask to see a glock and raise it up and do the leathal weapon sideways thug position. it goes both ways guys. idiot's make the world go round. im conviced if we didnt have em we would lose our axis and spin off into a black hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
    I understand where you are coming from with the old retired guys just wanting to talk all day or the "ball-whackers" that start by asking you for a price on a Glock, then ask about a Benelli, then maybe a bolt gun. Basically a time waster who has no intention of purchasing. I've worked at a motorcycle shop off and on since I was 15. What really pisses me off is someone coming in the showroom and trying on the latest helmets and riding gear, only to figure out their size so they can order it online. The knowledgeable customers don't spend a lot of time, they tend to know what they want and usually have part numbers to make it easier to get their order right. I imagine if we didn't have to deal with FFL transfers, the time wasted would be a lot less.