• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors I'm looking for a pistol to suppress.

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
I haven't purchased yet. I'm no great pistol shot and don't have a huge amount of experience. We were still using .45's when I was in service, so I have some experience with the 1911 platform. I've been to the gun stores around and have handled most everything: Sig 226, 229, 239, Glocks, Springfield XD, S&W MP, CZ 75, Ruger SR9, a couple of 1911's, Beretta, FN, H&K and probably a few others in the last 6 months.

Problem is, I like most all of them. The Sig feels good in my hands but so does the 1911. The CZ, to me, is right between these two in how it feels and I like it as well. The Ruger SR9 was very comfortable. The M&P, XD and Glocks, I couldn't feel a dimes worth of difference. FN was okay, similar to the CZ. H&K I liked the least. I'm also not crazy about the rough finish on the polymer guns. I like some traction but some over do it IMO.

So, with my plan being to suppress what I buy, is there a brand or model that is preferred over another for suppression. I plan on purchasing a pistol in 9mm (or .45acp if a 1911).

Something I could also run cast bullets in (if needed) would be nice.

What say you guys and why?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: I'm looking for a pistol to suppress.

If you want a 1911, Nighthawk is making an AAC branded supressor ready pistol. Throw the 45 TiRant on it and you will be set.

Well I guess I should've included that my price range is $800 or less.

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: libertyman777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I guess I should have included that my price range is $800 or less.</div></div>

Paul, for your price range, I would recommend a Glock 17, Sig P226 or Springfield XD. Sig offers a P226 version with a threaded barrel, whereas for the Glock or Springfield you will have to purchase a separate barrel.

Hard to go wrong with a Sig 226 for so many reasons.

I've never shot a Glock, Sig or really any other pistol suppressed, but plan to. Now you might want to ask yourself, why does Sig offer a threaded barrel from the factory and so many others you have to buy an aftermarket one for it? Maybe it's because Sig knows their guns will run well suppressed and others weren't really designed to do it. Not saying they won't, but why not buy the one that the factory made to work that way.

How about a TC....seems to me it would be the perfect canidate

I have a HK 45C that I like shooting suppressed. It's reliable, accurate, and has low recoil.

I was out at Silencerco last week and shot a bunch of pistols and suppressors. The M&P 9mm was the worst sounding of the 9mm bunch. The guys out there claim the Sig P226 has the lowest sound signature in 9mm.

Their 45 can is amazing. I also tested it wet and did not experience any back spray.

Sig, HK, S&W, Walther all offer factory threaded guns.

The new Sig silencer series and the S&W M&P threaded guns will be under the price mark, not so much the H&K pistol. If you go with a gun like Glock or CZ that does not have a thread option, you will need to plan on about $150 to add a barrel.

You will not want to shoot cast lead the lead and lube spin off in the silencer will destroy it in short order. Use a plated bullet like Berrys or Rainier or true jacketed bullets.

I'm a big fan of the SIG p226 tactical. Haven't shot anything I like better yet, and I've shot them all.

In 45acp, I'm not that big of a fan of the hosts. I prefer the smaller more reasonable packages. Like the HK USP Compact Tactical or the HK 45C over their full size brothers ( the HK tactical or the MK23). The problem you run into is needing to run the suppressors wet, which annoys me and the aggravated wear on the hosts.

Libertyman, good question.

You say 9mm and that, as BJ points out, has consequences.

Let me ask a few quick questions:

1. Are you going to have this pistol be a daily CCW?
2. Do you carry now?
3. Do you have a number of rounds in mag requirement?
4. Do you see yourself as carrying the can as well?
5. How much do you see yourself shooting the assembly?
6. Will you need to have a slide lockout function?
7. Will you also want a light? A laser?
8. Do you want to shoot dry effectively?
9. What can? price range?
10. Do you see yourself sighting over the can, as in buying new sights>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a big fan of the SIG p226 tactical. Haven't shot anything I like better yet, and I've shot them all.

In 45acp, I'm not that big of a fan of the hosts. I prefer the smaller more reasonable packages. Like the HK USP Compact Tactical or the HK 45C over their full size brothers ( the HK tactical or the MK23). <span style="font-weight: bold">The problem you run into is needing to run the suppressors wet, which annoys me and the aggravated wear on the hosts.</span> </div></div>

What specifically necessitates running a suppressor wet versus dry? I've always wondered if it's just something you learn from experience shooting, or if it's a certain effect you're trying to have with the can. I've been considering getting the HK USP 45ct myself and I'm pretty curious about the strengths and weaknesses of the various platforms.

1. Daily CCW?<span style="color: #FF6600">No, only occasionally</span>
2. Do you carry now?<span style="color: #FF6600"> Not often but will more</span>
3. Rounds in mag requirement?<span style="color: #FF6600"> I would like to have 10+</span>
4. Do you see yourself as carrying the can as well?<span style="color: #FF6600">No</span>
5. How much do you see yourself shooting the assembly?<span style="color: #FF6600">Often</span>
6. Will you need to have a slide lockout function?<span style="color: #FF6600">I think so.</span>
7. Will you also want a light? A laser?<span style="color: #FF6600">no. NV yes</span>
8. Do you want to shoot dry effectively?<span style="color: #FF6600">Yes</span>
9. What can? price range?<span style="color: #FF6600">unknown.$700?</span>
10. Do you see yourself sighting over the can, as in buying new sights><span style="color: #FF6600"> I'm hoping to use the factory night sights if it's not too bright with my NV </span>

[/quote]

Very helpful, first lets approach wet vs dry suppression.

One could write a great deal on this subject. In short, wet cans use an ablative (artificial environment) that is added to the envelope to significantly help reduce the heat/volume of the propellants gases. Properly applied in location, volume and agent these same ablatives will markedly reduce the sound made by the suppressor.

Wet can designs should be shot wet as there can be consequences other than the increase in sound levels if they run dry, especially at high rates of fire. Aside from the obvious increase in noise we find that heat, higher backpressure and structure effects can come into play. Going wet requires adding material as often as every other magazine. It is determined by the can’s gas pathing, internal volume, baffle design and expansion chamber configurations. Whereas wet cans are routinely lighter than their dry counterparts, when using some ablatives they can become heavier. As BJ pointed out, if the change in weight is not properly considered in the Neilson Device, that can accelerate wear on the host. In all instances wet cans come into play when one is firing pistol caliber cartridges ONLY. Years ago, the prevalent design had off barrel axis “troughs” that allowed for liquid to be filled to provide high volume “wet effect” as a cooling agent. We see some residual examples of that in the Silencerco Osprey. Everything old is new again.

Dry cans perform well when dry and can perform even better when wet. Dry cans are usually larger in overall dimensions and are made to take higher volume fire. Dry cans usually employ a different design all together than wet. Now I am going to talk about a particular brand here as I know it well. This is for an example only. The difference in 9mm cans between wet and dry applications at AWC. The most successful 9mm can ever delivered under contract to the services is the titanium Abraxas (Army, Glock 26/19 and Navy got the S/S version, first as the Wasp and then the Abraxas) and was to replace the Hushpuppy cans in use. The can measures a very small 5.7” long, .98” diameter and approximately 3.3ozs (titanium). This is, as was specified, a wet can and will require additives approximately every 30 rounds or so. Tiny and profoundly quiet.

If we look a that as compared to its dry equivalent, the Jupiter’s Eye, we can begin to see the differences. The Jupiter Eye is 7.8” long, 1.35” in diameter and, to take the heat (the can in 9mm can go full auto, even a “solid” mount is sold to replace the Neilson Device on static barrels) is both titanium and stainless and comes in at 12ozs. It is, as was specified (U.S. Army Glock 30) a dry can that can be run wet as well. With subsonic rounds, the JE is ear safe and will not trip your headphone’s clip. On that subject, as to the Osprey or the Ti-Rant being the only two “ear safe” suppressors, well bullshit. The Nexus, since 2003, does it at 7.8” long not almost 9” long. Quieter, maybe, we can all add inches in the race past ear safe.

Either wet or dry, the dimensionality of the can will determine whether or not you will need to replace your sights. Some sight right through the top of their cans and require no new sights. Others select their cans based on retaining their original sights. Some go about the process of replacing their sights all together.

One last important point, whereas water is the best and most efficient ablative, know that it is responsible for most of the host barrel pitting that is seen. It is the combination of the propellant gases and the steam effect of the water. I would strongly recommend ablatives other than water. A little performance is sacrificed when using other than water. But, gels, oils are longer lasting and much more barrel safe. Get ready, the grimier, the nastier, the filthier centerfire cans get (up to a very obvious point that even a novice can HEAR) the quieter they are. Taking apart a centerfire can, especially a .45 or 9mm, to routinely clean it between events.... is wholly counterproductive.

All of this changes again when we talk about sub gun designs. In pistol cans? It's "SSC"....Sound, Sights, Cycle and that requires smaller dimensions all around.

RT,

Thanks for the write-up. Very informative.

I am shooting a Smith & Wesson M&P9 "SPEC OPS" model with a AAC TiRant. Nice little package, very quiet even dry it comfortable to shoot indoors. Its also the lightest can on the market. The price however is not light....

My rig consists of a Beretta 92,KKM Precision threaded barrel.And a SWR Trident 9...AWESOME

I use a Glock17 with an SWR Trident 9...Glock while not being as quiet as a supressed Sig is a better fit to me. The Sig rides high in the hand for me...
I am completly biased toward the Glock so take that for what its worth...

I wanna rock out with a suppressed Glock 34/Silencerco/KKM out!

I owned an HK USP SD and just didn't like it. The Sig doesn't have "raised sights" like the HK. But you could always get them.

To me, you can't beat a Sig....

DSC02505.jpg

DSC02502.jpg

DSC02503.jpg

You are getting great recommendations in this thread. I can only add to the already excellent list.

A little known fact, over the last decade we are seeing such improvement in the weight and design of suppressors that an important feature that was once a standard requirement is being impacted. That is, the ability of the suppressor itself to be "regulated" to disallow the cycling of the slide. This effect allowed the operator to deliver the quietest possible intervention, suppressed discharge, sub sonic round masked sonic signature and as importantly, no host noise in mechanical cycling. Two sources of noise would be left, the sound of the round hitting its mark and any noise made by the operator.

Slide lockout is accomplished in the vast majority of instances by two completely different means:

1. "Standing the can on its ears." I'll explain.
2. Mechanical Slide Lock-Out.

For those that are interested, read on.

1. "Standing the can on its Ears." With the introduction of later generation Neilson devices an interesting and subtle design change was accomplished. One aspect of your can you might want to take seriously is the ability of the can to quickly be able to swap adapters. The complete mounted assembly with a hybrid ND (Neilson Device) regulator looks like this.

The mounted assembly set in “full on.” Here we have the adapter set in the can and set to allow the pistol to cycle on every round. What is at play here is whether or not the ND has its spring “compressed” or not. When not compressed, the ND can relieve all weight of the can on the host. The weightlessness, or what is called “float” occurs in a fraction of a second.

sa.jpg

If we now grab the pistol and the can and “set the can on its ears” by pulling the can forward, stretching the can one and rotating slightly clockwise, the can’s springs can be compressed. This is called “standing the can on its ears” and the can will now not provide the float required to make the can float. As a result the slide cannot be relieved of the weight of the can and will not fully cycle.

stretch.jpg

Here the can is “set on its ears” and has achieved slide lock-out.

ALL-SET.jpg

The components. This is a current gen ND and, as a note, the only suppressor company to every license Neilson for his device was….AWC, per the military solicitation. Patent is now expired on the original, but AWC's improvement patents are in full force.

CLEANsdsw-IT.jpg

These parts are replaced with a “static” mount to allow for this very same suppressor to be mounted on a machine gun. Full auto rated. One would not want the ND to cycle on a machine gun as, on a well balanced rig, the spring is a wear item. On many other suppressors the ND equivalent springs are is so “overstroked” to insure that every pistol will cycle that wear on the host can be an issue. Balance folks, balance.

2. Mechanical slide locks are just that, a lever that the operator lifts to lock the slide in place and disallow and movement or cycling. These are not common (think about your seeing ANY production auto with one) and have to be designed to eliminate frame damage, slide damage and ease of operation.

Rare, yes..but wonderful. Here is a very rare Semmerling XM (Not an LM). This unit IS NOT manually operated, it IS an automatic and will cycle if that slide lock you see is on (right above trigger front). The barrel utilizes "strip forward" the rarest of all pistol cycling. The bullet's friction actually forces the barrel open, extracting the bullet and setting things in operation. This is the smallest .45 auto in the world, the smallest suppressed .45 auto in the world. Army contract, and posted only here at SH, now you have really seen something!

werr.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">An important final note. I mentioned above that improvements in cans and host materials and designs is making this issue more difficult. If it is your intent to have your can lock out your system, then you need the weight and mass of a 1911 frame style. In other words, you will be buying a .45 1911 auto or a 9mm 1911 auto as today’s modern cans are too light and, even on ear, it WILL cycle. I have the suppressor manufacturer mount and prep the threaded barrel as a great deal can be done to tune this effect as well. </span>

I only buy pistol cartridge cans with swap adapters (if available), I only buy cans that can take full auto. I only buy ND cans with replaceable springs. Can here is Jupiter Eye.

I've shot the Sig and MP suppressed both shot well. The Sig was a 45 and the MP a 9mm. If you want to shoot a lot for less money go with the 9mm. Although I liked the 45 better.

I have a suppressed P226 and I've shot Beretta 92's, Glocks and Hi powers in 9mm, and 1911's in .45 suppressed. I can't say the 226 is the quietest, but it's only slightly louder than my P22 suppressed. The Beretta sounded the quietest to me. My buddys 1911 is great.

A plus for Sig is the 226 is available with a threaded barrel and tall suppressor sights. The factory threaded barrels are available aftermarket for any 226. IT's available in 13.5mmx1 left hand threads or in 1/2x28 right hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Rare, yes..but wonderful. Here is a very rare Semmerling XM (Not an LM). This unit IS NOT manually operated, it IS an automatic and will cycle if that slide lock you see is on (right above trigger front). This is the smallest .45 auto in the world, the smallest suppressed .45 auto in the world. Army contract, and posted only here at SH, now you have really seen something!

werr.jpg

</div></div>
This is the coolest post you have made. I'd very much like to have one of those....

I don't know who you are, but return the real BJ as I am not paying a ransom.

Meanwhile, how about over 100 of them, Semmerlings, delivered to the Smithsonian, the National Firearms Museum and the Cody. Q had a thing for his own hand made .45s and made them all a gift to the Nation!

SEM-M3A1-MAC.jpg

G34, noveske-threaded G17L barrel, and an SWR Trident would be nice...or an AAC Evolution.

I just got back from the range. I got to shoot an HK USP 45 Elite with an AAC Evol on it. Running it wet, it was really quiet. The total package was really nice... so much so that I thought about upgrading my current USP 45. The Elite was really smooth and easy to shoot.

Trust me on this... just trust me.
I really want you to listen carefully.

HK USP .45 tactical and SWR Hems2.

You will thank me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trust me on this... just trust me.
I really want you to listen carefully.

HK USP .45 tactical and SWR Hems2.

You will thank me.
</div></div>

The SWR Hems 2 (which I own) is good, but the Silencerco Osprey is significantly better.

Hems 2 = Stainless and aluminum

Hems 2 = Only Browining actions

If you are going .45acp NexusIII, page 12

http://www.awcsystech.com/awc_catalog.pdf

Titanium Primary Expansion/ Titanium first and second baffle sets.

"AWC has the privilege of equipping the U.S. Army for Glock 30 and elite Spec Ops with the Nexus III for use on the Sig P220 Combat & HK USP Tactical Pistol."

If you are carrying, I recommend a Glock 36 Slimline, Pearce finger mag, 3.5lb connector, A Bar-Sto threaded barrel, Nexus III.
Wet or dry, 16 x 1 RH, 16 x 1 LH, 37/64 x 24, 37/64 x 28, 9/16 x 24 and static available in all.

My first of several cans purchased (8) and the only one I regret purchasing was an Advanced Armament M9-QD 9mm for a barreta 92S. It was a quick detach setup and the gun never shot true. The barreta was a good shooter with the original barrel but when I put on the extended barrel it would shoot 4 inches low right at 7 yards. I had purchased it locally and the business I had purchased it from (only the best friearms, Pompano FL.) swapped out the barrel, but this did not fix the problem.I sent it back to AAC (lifetime warranty) and they sent it back saying they could not find a problem (must not have any pistol shooters there!) So a hard lesson learned. Funny thing is if you intall the can upside down with sights underneath it shoots true! So thats how I shoot it. Second was an Impulse IIA with an HK Tactical. Love the setup but was on the large side. Switched to a HK USP 45CT and have enjoyed the setup. My most favorite handguns suppressed are a set of gemtech seahunters. I shoot them from a host of handguns and Ruger 10-22 rifles and are a blast to shoot and very inexpensive all around, from cans to host guns to ammo. Point I'm making is definately go with a threaded can so you can switch around host guns. Good Luck.

You know, as soon as I posted, I thought exactly what Keith just said. He is right, hands down, the most rounds by thousands go through the .22 cans. The man is right....

I'll third the .22 can. I've got three cans right now, a 9mm, a .223 and a .22 can. The 9mm can is new, so maybe 100 rounds through it. The .223 can has around 1,000, but the .22 can has at least 5,000. The best part is it's easy enough to set up a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol. My P22 has around 4,000 rounds and is near perfectly reliable and quiet enough to mess with your head- until you put the can on a bolt action .22 rifle where pretty close to totally silent. If I could have only one can, a .22 can would be hard to beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kletzenklueffer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll third the .22 can. I've got three cans right now, a 9mm, a .223 and a .22 can. The 9mm can is new, so maybe 100 rounds through it. The .223 can has around 1,000, but the .22 can has at least 5,000. The best part is it's easy enough to set up a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol. My P22 has around 4,000 rounds and is near perfectly reliable and quiet enough to mess with your head- until you put the can on a bolt action .22 rifle where pretty close to totally silent. If I could have only one can, a .22 can would be hard to beat. </div></div>

Agreed. I have a .22 can. It started life as one of Mark White's creations and was sealed. I sent it off to Liberty Suppressors to convert it over to a break down can. I'm hoping to get it back this week.

I like the ability to run it on both a rifle and a pistol.

I would like to have a pistol can that I could run subsonic rifle rounds through too. I hear it can be done with a 9mm can and .300 Whisper.

I've decided on the Sig 226. Thanks for all the input, that was a lot of good stuff.

S/F,

Paul

SIG 220, Suppressor ready, is available at RSR.
Ready to go with high tritium sights and a .578x28 threaded barrel, all for $700 on closeout.

Yep. They've got 226 and 229 with the threaded barrels (and maybe the 239 too). I don't have that kind of jack right now.

I'll probably get a Police turn in.
Paul

Sig offers a 9mm 229 calle the s4 suppressor series, for about $800 it comes with a threaded barrel and raised night sights that will clear your can, pistol is very smooth, cycles very well and very reliably, and is very very accurate, plus it's quiet as hell with sub sonic ammo. Another plus is that sig makes a threaded factory .22 conversion for about $350 that is very reliable and fun also.

I had a HK USP SD and a Sig 226 Combat like the one pictured a few posts higher for use with my SWR Trident 9. I still have the HK.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you are carrying, I recommend a Glock 36 Slimline, Pearce finger mag, 3.5lb connector, A Bar-Sto threaded barrel, Nexus III.
Wet or dry, 16 x 1 RH, 16 x 1 LH, 37/64 x 24, 37/64 x 28, 9/16 x 24 and static available in all.
</div></div>

RollingThunder, are new sights required to use the Nexus III suppressor on a Glock 36? I currently carry a Glock 36 with XS big dot sights and am interested in a suppressor. I wouldn't carry with the suppressor, but would like the suppressor to work on as many guns as possible.

I would guess that to truly clear the can, yes, higher sights would be required. Remember, that since the Glock 36 will mount the Crimson Trace Laserguard, you could forego new sights. The laser guide is on axis (lower) and would be good for quite a distance.

Thanks for the update. Be safe and report back on what the end results are.