• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s I'm not good with math?

chowder

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2010
Southeast, Michigan
So I'm finishing up the grocery shopping this morning. Last thing to do is get some lunch meat. I asked the girl working at the deli for three quarters of a pound of salami. She asks me "how much" so I repeat the request. She puts just over a quarter pound on the scale. I tell her it's supposed to be three quarters. Blank stare. I repeat. She apologizes and says "I'm not good with math". Finally I tell her to keep adding more until i say to stop.

Did they quit teaching basic math in school? WTF.

I hate to take the side of stupid...but, I'm playin' devil's advocate here. ;)

Sounds like she was going to give you three, quarter-pound, packages of salami...

In her defense, the math would have worked out regardless. LMAO

I hate to take the side of stupid...but, I'm playin' devil's advocate here. ;)

Sounds like she was going to give you three, quarter-pound, packages of salami...

In her defense, the math would have worked out regardless. LMAO

You should have been more exact... 75 Hundredths of salami would have blown her mind.

We dumbed down the kids when they came out with digital watches, calculators and cash registers that told the kid running it how much change was needed. I see it at work. People cannot figure out what 1% of 3000 is in their head. Come on people! I've known kids that could not tell the time on an analog clock. When I was in school a scientific calculator cost over $150. We had to memorize the multiplication and division tables. Not anymore.

you can think the "no child left behind program" doesnt matter if they know anything or not, they still pass becasue it is upsetting and stressful on a child if they have to retake something.. I have seen the program in action "it is scray" and just installs the "dont have to work for it because im going to pass anyway attitude!"

My wife loves to hand the register people $20.01 for a $9.99 item. The look on their face is priceless for a split second until they enter it into the machine. lol

1 person does not represent education, or anything, in it's entirety. Every single day where are around the effects of lowered standards of public schools in the US, yet you pull a single example and relate it to the entire system.

Look at the cash registers that spit out the change so these kids don't have to count. It's pretty sad how bad it's getting to be anymore, at work when we are training somebody we have to dumb it down so a 5 year old can understand it. Then it gets to the point that they want us to dumb it down even more and it becomes more confusing than it is easier to learn.

My chick gets pissed every time they screw up her order at a fast food resturaunt. I just laugh and tell her, they dont hire smart people.
I'm a firm believer that the average intelligence of Americans is on a steady decline. Smart people just aren't pumping out kids as fast as stupid people haha

you really need to check out "Idiocracy". it's a movie by one of the Wilson Brothers. pretty funny until you start realizing there are people like that in real life.

My chick gets pissed every time they screw up her order at a fast food resturaunt. I just laugh and tell her, they dont hire smart people.
I'm a firm believer that the average intelligence of Americans is on a steady decline. Smart people just aren't pumping out kids as fast as stupid people haha

This is true. Highly educated and career oriented people are having children latter in life and having less of them. College educated women who have been concentrating on their careers tend to pushed back the time when they are having children. Unfortunately, women only have a certain period in their life when they can get pregnant. Since it's harder getting pregnant the older you get it decreases their chances and therefor decreases the amount of children they have. These are general statement and do not apply to everyone.

My MIL went to the bank to deposit $500.00 in mixed bills. She said as much, when she handed the cash to the teller. The teller then, divided the stack into separate denominations, and then counted each stack by hand and entered that number into the computer. The number that came out of the computer was wrong, and my MIL told her such, so the teller then did it again. Again with the same results.

So by this time, my MIL is PISSED. She grabs the stack of cash back, and starts placing them in front of the teller in simple stacks of $100.00 (and counted them out as she went along) each, until she had 5 of those spread out in front of the teller. The teller couldn't say anything, and didn't have an explanation for anything. But she DID see that it came out to $500.00.

......And these are the same people that handle your money, too. Not all of them, but your drive through/fast-food employees and bank tellers are hired from the same pool that ours are.

Civilians in general society. It actually IS what we make of it.

This. exactly this. its a trend that is intensifying.

-Paulus

I think it was entirely your fault. They teach the metric system in school now. You should have asked for .340194 kilograms of meat.

I love seeing the teenage checker sweat when they punch one too many buttons on the register and it erases the amount of change due. Can't remember how many times I have had to tell them how much they need to give me back. Math is just one embarrassing area. Fundamental history and basic facts are lacking in the education folks have. The stuff that Jay Leno does when he goes to college campuses or on the street and ask people basic history or fact of life questions is hilarious. Guess its not funny that these kind of people will be running our world in the future.