• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm stuck on 2 barrels for my build... help?

dlouie87

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2010
CA
Hello,

I'm stuck between these two 18' barrels. I'm planning on building this upper for casual days at the range and maybe to take out for a few three gun matches.

Nordic/Wilson barrel:

This 416R Stainless Steel barrel is 18" long with a rifle length gas system. Chambered in the popular .223 Wylde with a 1 in 8" twist rate, it is the perfect barrel for your competition rifle. The barrel smoothly transitions to an .800 diameter that runs all the way to the gas block. It steps down to .750 for the gas block area and then is a .740 diameter until the 1/2"-28 threads at the muzzle. It is compatible with any 1/2"-28 threaded flash hider, compensator or suppressor. The barrel is furnished with an M4 style barrel extension and weighs 2 lbs., 6 oz.

or the Rainier WOA barrel:

White Oak Armament 18: SPR Stainless Steel Match Grade Barrel w/M4 Extension.
Features:
18″ Stainless Steel Match Grade Barrel
Wilson blank
1:7 Twist
Rifle Length Gas System
Special Purpose Rifle Profile
.223 Wylde Chamber
Bead Blasted Finish
Weight: 2 lbs 9 oz

Re: I'm stuck on 2 barrels for my build... help?

I ordered a WOA 20 inch 1/7 SDM Barrel and am very excited to get it. The AR15 build im doing i searched a lot on this site for a high end AR15 barrel maker and White Oak was the go to for a high end barrel, so i called WOA up and placed the order and can't be hapier.

Yet one more vote for the WOA. They are first-class barrels all the way. I have had (and still have) several WOA barrels over the years and they are proven performers!

I will play the devils advocate and say the Nordic simply because of the 1/8 twist

I would have to say Rainier Match 18". More or less the same as that WOA, but 1:8" twist.

What TEMP9 says. I have this 18" Ranier Ultra-Match SPR stainless barrel in 1-8, Rifle Gas and it is a consisten Tack Driver. Reaches tightest groups after 20-30 fouling shots and then stays tight.
Leave it fouled between trips to range with just a couple of oil patches for a quick wipe in the bore.
So far have only worked-up load of 24.3 g of H Benchmark under 53 VMAX at magazine length for 250 rnds, but it will just stack them in a 3/4 inch hole. I'm sure the reason they don't all sail through a 1/4 inch bug-hole is because My Sorry A@$ is the one pulling the trigger!
smirk.gif

stay with the proven WOA or go out on a limb for the other and let the rest of us know how it performs

Yes, they are shown on Ranier's site. 18" SPR, 1-8 twist, rifle gas, Wylde chambered, hand lapped, ratchet-rifled, Shillen blank. I think they are chambered by WOA or Compass Lake.
Not cheap but a very nice pipe.