• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm "that guy"with the worst luck with gunsmiths!!!

that looks like shit. i certainly wouldnt pay for any of the work. And id be asking for reimbursement for the stock. Fuck that mess. Looks like a rat was chewing on it.

As others have said....canted action, piss-poor finishing. You have every right to be pissed and to expect better. Even without the alleged damage, that would have been enough for me to refuse to accept it back!

Tool or not, it is your stock/action/parts bought with your money. If you want to knock the shit out of it once you've got it, that is your right.

Anyone else doing so - especially before you've even had a chance to shoot it - is NOT acceptable IMHO.

As others have posted, your property should be returned to you in at least the same condition it was received....and without BS about it "being like that when I got it"

Good luck getting it resolved!

Damn! I thought I was "that guy". I am right with you with the disappointment. You take your hard earned money to a "professional" anticipating a joyous experience when you get your high end custom stick back. When you open the box you can already tell something's not right. Then you see if you can accept it. Then you get pissed. I had to play with Jet Suppressors for a year and endured a year and a half build on a gun I provided parts for. That was supposed to be a three month build. I hate to say it but I go factory now. AI & Sako all the way.

If it shoots 2" groups from 500 yards....are ya gonna kiss his azz??

Actually, he probably won't since he probably paid ~$250+ for that half ass bed job. Chances are it will shoot fine if there is not as much tension bedded into the stock as much as there is chips and all kinds of general shittyness.

Now that you said that I looked a little closer and see what you are saying. Maybe the smith was centering the trigger? It is hard to go off of one photo.

Hell no!!! What the heck is he thinking handing that over you....no pride in his work and how does he sleep at night....that is plain ol' crap....This is a no brainier...he needs to replace stock ...then go see someone else for the work.

The problem is that there are very few GUN SMITHS out there, but lots of "gun smiths". Sounds like you did your research though and he came recommended.

My guess is he won't release the name because it might be a site sponsor and if it is he'll be instantly called a liar, blamed, the thread will be closed, or he'll be kicked from the site temporarily. Just a guess though because i've seen it many times and experienced it.

Last edited:
Well, y'all are due an update. I've since been in contact with the gunsmith in question. I told him I wasn't happy about the chips in the stock. I asked him to be honest with me. He said that the action was stuck in the stock and the corner of the action hit the stock when it released.

He said he understood completely, and offered to pay shipping and repair costs back to McMillan to get it fixed. I waited a while before I called him on it because I HATE confrontation. I didn't blast him openly here because I wanted to give him a chance to redeem himself.

I guess I'm happy.....but I've still got to wait for Mcmillan to fix it. I'm just glad the guy didn't get sideways with me!

Thanks for your comments,
Phillip

That is exactly the way to handle things. Wait till you cool down and then have a conversation with the guy.

I am very glad you worked it out with him. I wish you well in getting this repaired.

I hope it shoots as well.

Sean

Well, y'all are due an update. I've since been in contact with the gunsmith in question. I told him I wasn't happy about the chips in the stock. I asked him to be honest with me. He said that the action was stuck in the stock and the corner of the action hit the stock when it released.

He said he understood completely, and offered to pay shipping and repair costs back to McMillan to get it fixed. I waited a while before I called him on it because I HATE confrontation. I didn't blast him openly here because I wanted to give him a chance to redeem himself.

I guess I'm happy.....but I've still got to wait for Mcmillan to fix it. I'm just glad the guy didn't get sideways with me!

Thanks for your comments,
Phillip

I like your style. He did mess it up but he did own up to it. Stay on him and get him to level the action. It's a bed job. There is almost nothing that someone competent in bedding can't fix. I would not accept a canted action but that's just me.

I don't think it's fair to blast him on the internet unless the situation is anything other than re-bedding the gun, level in the stock, and without any chips and what not. Escalating to the internet is a negotiating tool of almost last resort. That's just my opinion.

If you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay for the bed job?

I like your style. He did mess it up but he did own up to it. Stay on him and get him to level the action. It's a bed job. There is almost nothing that someone competent in bedding can't fix. I would not accept a canted action but that's just me.

I don't think it's fair to blast him on the internet unless the situation is anything other than re-bedding the gun, level in the stock, and without any chips and what not. Escalating to the internet is a negotiating tool of almost last resort. That's just my opinion.

If you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay for the bed job?

I paid a little over $250 for the bedding. I'm out of town now, but I need to post a couple more pics at a different angle. The action's tang sits down in the stock, and from that one shot, I guess it does look canted....but I looked it it over very closely, and it appears to be sitting level.
Just gotta get home to mail the stock back off. It's killing me not being able to shoot the thing though!
My wife is helping me learn patience! :D

Last edited:
I would say it look like someone stuffed a diamond in a goats ass, or it looks like a rat was chewing on it. One or the other. I love this stuff!

I just had a build finished, and there was a small paint flaw that had me all messed up. Sounds like your smith is man enough to do the right thing. I would send him work. Those qualities are hard to find these days.....honesty and willingness to admit a mistake!

Last edited: