• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Imperial wax

gebhardt02

Captain, Retired
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2006
MT
www.zcompoptic.com
I've been using the Hornady spray lube stuff on my brass prior to sizing and have been getting brass build up in my Redding dies. I have a sample of the Imperial wax but would like to know, do you guys using this stuff just wipe it on the brass with a rag one piece at a time or use some sort of rolling pad? I'm so used to spraying down 50 cases at a time, so would like to know the best method of application for the Imperial wax. Search didn't turn up anything helpful for me. Thanks

Geb

Re: Imperial wax

I smear it on my fingers and rub the cases one at a time.

I have used it and it is faster than it sounds. It also allows you to keep powder from sticking inside the neck (easier to control were the lube is going)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I smear it on my fingers and rub the cases one at a time. </div></div>

+1, and after it makes a great hairdo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I smear it on my fingers and rub the cases one at a time. </div></div>

+1. Throw them in the tumbler for 30 minutes afterwards. Done.

I just drag a finger lightly across the wax then rub it against my thumb. I then pick up a case and wipe it while putting it in the case. I make sure I get most of the case, but with just a thin film. It should just feel a little greasy. After sizing I wipe the case with a towel. It removes easily and there really isn't a need to tumble like after spray lube.

Jim

I just switched to Imperial from OneShot and won't be going back anytime soon.
I do like pepperbelly said, but have found the residue on my fingers lasts for about five cases, before I have to "touch" the wax again. I have to do maybe every third or fourth when I am sizing down 308 to 7-08 brass however.

The tiny tin it comes in will probably last years....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have found the residue on my fingers lasts for about five cases, before I have to "touch" the wax again.

The tiny tin it comes in will probably last years.... </div></div>

+1 and not nearly as bad as it sounds - very good stuff.

I started using imperial wax last month. Works great. I'm told to:
- get the case near the head well, neck and shoulder is not as important,
- get the inside of the neck to help the expander ball pass,
- limit tumbling loaded rounds to 5 mins (per Dillon)

Sound right?

I have used Imperial for some time, and found that all you need to get it off the cases is a microfiber towel.

Thanks for the replies. I was smearing it on the cases with a finger but getting new from the tin for each case then wiping it off after sizing with a rag. Sounds like I don't need as much wax. I appreciate the help.

Geb

The only thing I would add is I will just dip about every 5th shell in the wax to coat the inside neck to help the expander ball.

I have also just ran my finger across the mouth of the case to do the same. I Have used alot of other stuff and this is the best by far.

I tumble after.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willys46</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing I would add is I will just dip about every 5th shell in the wax to coat the inside neck to help the expander ball.

<span style="color: #333399">I have also just ran my finger across the mouth of the case to do the same</span>. I Have used alot of other stuff and this is the best by far.

I tumble after. </div></div>

That's what I do for the expander ball. You can "feel" when it needs it.

Awesome stuff when I use it on 308 win cases I use it on every
other case.

I do the same.
Good stuff.

I get the Redding Imperial Die Wax on my fingers and rub it on the cases.

There is an analog in the feminine hygiene product world, tampons without applicators. She should file her finger nails first.

Imperial as said finger dab every 4-5, If you knew how many cases if have run in 40 years without sticking a case you might be impressed. I have a case puller that has never been used, but the instruction sheet is so old and yellow I think it will turn to dust before the puller gets used.

I use a pad for the case body and a q-tip with just a bit of lube to get inside the case mouth. Really cuts down on the friction of the neck on the expander.

If I have done a bunch of cases, I dump them in the tumbler. I like working with clean cases and always run the primer pocket uniformer to remove the primer fouling.