• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Importance of a perfect coaxiality..

godofwar

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2008
Italy
I spent a lot of my time to find the best coaxiality in my cartridges when I shot on a paper target..from 100 to 300-400 yards but my question is: practicing shooting on the long distances, a perfect coaxiality is the the determining factor to place a right shot or not?
Or can I concentrate myself on other factors?... Ad example wind, position of the body, respiration...

Hope you help me.

A.

Re: Importance of a perfect coaxiality..

The nut behind the trigger is the biggest factor in shooting at virtually any range. Bad ammo makes the nut's job harder, "perfect ammo" is still worthless if the shooter doesn't do their job.

I agree. The straightness of the cartridge is not the most important factor.
Coaxial placement, the shooter, the rifle and the target aligned is very important.
Obviously all other factors are involved (such as breathing, trigger control). And if you are in an improvised position you may not have a perfect alignment so those other factors must be more perfect(if there is such a thing). But in the standard prone shooting position perfect coaxial alignment is preferred.

I feel that if one can eliminate several small imperfections then they will generally add up to one noticeable improvement. I feel that my rifles are in the .375 - .500 MOA neighborhood. I strive to feed them .250 MOA ammunition. I feel that from 100 - 200 yards I'm a .500 MOA shooter. 300 yards I'm slightly worse than a .500 MOA shooter. The other distance is 1,000 yards & I'm quite happy to be a 1 MOA shooter most days some days are better than others.
For what it's worth. If you feed your rifle the best ammo you can make then that will be one less thing to worry about on the firing line. I feel that I can do a better job if I pay more attention to my technique than getting my equipment to almost perfection.