• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Imported carbon fiber tripod (RT90C)

Make sure to give us some feedback.

I keep shopping and then putting a RRS tripod in the basket but can never quite finish the purchase. The RT90c is stout and very good.
I have a buddy with a RRS tripod its awesome but $$$$. and another that just got a rt90c. I watched him do 5 pullups from the rt90c and it held him up. so I'm gonna give it a go.

I remember finding that one before I bought my RT90C and I wasn't crazy about the middle column.
I've taken the as80c hunting. It's very stable for glass but I'd personally still want a dedicated hunting tripod. Something lighter and more compact.
Yeah I just couldn't bring myself to try it. Too many people saying they got it on here and then upgraded to the rt90c. I found the leofoto ranger series and think that might be a better fit. Especially the ls-365CEX with the leveling base or the ls-325CEX for a lighter option. Found them on ebay for about what the RT90C goes for on amazon.

Not sure I’ll ever use the RT90C, Anvil, & Midwest combo outside my backyard sniping rats at night - but it’s a fantastic combination.

755331FC-A434-4C1A-8078-A545576946D9.jpeg

BE0802DD-F288-4F03-B76F-955C3F6D1B33.jpeg

I remember finding that one before I bought my RT90C and I wasn't crazy about the middle column.

Yeah I just couldn't bring myself to try it. Too many people saying they got it on here and then upgraded to the rt90c. I found the leofoto ranger series and think that might be a better fit. Especially the ls-365CEX with the leveling base or the ls-325CEX for a lighter option. Found them on ebay for about what the RT90C goes for on amazon.
There is no middle column On the ST344c

I put the included adapter plate in and use the Innorel 52mm ballhead with it. The bowl/leveling base that came with it is a little grabby and has limited range. The mentioned ballhead is very nice. I do like the hook handle for being able to hang a pack or something on for stability. Here’s mine.

John

CC482421-85A9-4604-A0F9-6B3FCD25DEC0.jpg

AA6F417D-661E-4CF1-976E-41262E821C5F.jpg

Save a few bucks on your tripod and put that cash into the future

Anyone run one of these? Already have the 90/Midwest adaper/Anvil30

Thinking of this for my spotter/binos/LRF and to use a lightweight hunting rig

A lot came up and I still haven't pulled the trigger. Some day soon though.

I looked at all these, looked at RRS and I think I've decided on Field Optics Research Pro mil 32mm option --it's US made, 5.5lbs and supports 115lbs. and has locking legs ($700 something, they make one that'll support 145lbs. for $900something). But that either can support a fully grown man hanging from/standing on it and there are pics of that too ("rated for" I think includes stability). It's actually made for shooting and they're right down the street from RRS. I've talked to them before. They don't knock RRS like they do their competition, but do feel they're (RRS) overpriced for what they offer and whine a lot anytime they get criticized for that and I have to agree, they're just stating facts.

FWIW, FOR sent me a video of USMC testing one of them with a Barrett. It held it admirably and had the guy used the tripod right and got behind the rifle correctly it would have probably taken 100% of the recoil and not rocked up at all. As it was, one leg lifted a few inches but the guy was directly behind one leg, not leaning in and had a bad shoulder on the rifle --ie, he was half assing it. Still impressive.

They have tripods for less that are made here but with Chinese CF legs. They said the Chinese CF isn't quite AS good but it's a lot cheaper so that's how their non-mil models are so much cheaper. They also don't have the US patent locking leg deal either.

For spotting/optics, this lightweight super cheap on sale Sirui ($126 shipped?) Doug at Cameraland sold me has hit every mark. It'd actually support a small rifle, it's a fuckton tougher than it looks, but that's not what I got it for. Works in the prone, a must. Easy and fast. I think I'd like a pan/tilt handle on it now though but I wasn't sure when I got it so I got it as basic as I could until I knew what I wanted.

WAY better than the issue shit that used to come with these observation scopes (what they call a spotter when it's got a narrow FOV and based on a riflescope?).

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

Reactions: 338LMAI
A lot came up and I still haven't pulled the trigger. Some day soon though.

I looked at all these, looked at RRS and I think I've decided on Field Optics Research Pro mil 32mm option --it's US made, 5.5lbs and supports 115lbs. and has locking legs ($700 something, they make one that'll support 145lbs. for $900something). But that either can support a fully grown man hanging from/standing on it and there are pics of that too ("rated for" I think includes stability). It's actually made for shooting and they're right down the street from RRS. I've talked to them before. They don't knock RRS like they do their competition, but do feel they're (RRS) overpriced for what they offer and whine a lot anytime they get criticized for that and I have to agree, they're just stating facts.

FWIW, FOR sent me a video of USMC testing one of them with a Barrett. It held it admirably and had the guy used the tripod right and got behind the rifle correctly it would have probably taken 100% of the recoil and not rocked up at all. As it was, one leg lifted a few inches but the guy was directly behind one leg, not leaning in and had a bad shoulder on the rifle --ie, he was half assing it. Still impressive.

They have tripods for less that are made here but with Chinese CF legs. They said the Chinese CF isn't quite AS good but it's a lot cheaper so that's how their non-mil models are so much cheaper. They also don't have the US patent locking leg deal either.

For spotting/optics, this lightweight super cheap on sale Sirui ($126 shipped?) Doug at Cameraland sold me has hit every mark. It'd actually support a small rifle, it's a fuckton tougher than it looks, but that's not what I got it for. Works in the prone, a must. Easy and fast. I think I'd like a pan/tilt handle on it now though but I wasn't sure when I got it so I got it as basic as I could until I knew what I wanted.

WAY better than the issue shit that used to come with these observation scopes (what they call a spotter when it's got a narrow FOV and based on a riflescope?).

View attachment 7564576
View attachment 7564577
Awesome Post.

I do have the RT90C and have run it side by side with the RRS34. IMO the RT90 is actually a little more stable but that's because it is heavier.

$300 for Tripod, $80 for Midwest adapter and $450 for Anvil 30 gives you the best bang for the buck IMO. The Anvil is where you should spend your money I think.

Less than $850 for a bomb proof setup when the "competition" wants more than than just for the tripod.

I am all about buying American (in fact my tripod is 2/3 American) but there is a breaking point when something costs 4 or 5 times as much for virtually the same product.

Bit the bullet and ordered an RRS TVC33 and another Anvil 30 w/ new apex. I wanted the Versa apex as well so I can add a center post when wanted.

I wanted to compare side by side and to get the feels of an RRS compared to my RT90C w/ Anvil 30. I'm all in on the RRS, I bought the rock claws and QDs for a sling. Those are spendy as usual with RRS.

Reactions: demolitionman
and they're right down the street from RRS. I've talked to them before. They don't knock RRS like they do their competition, but do feel they're (RRS) overpriced for what they offer and whine a lot anytime they get criticized for that and I have to agree, they're just stating facts.
I was at a well known supporting vendor today and was told they are no longer ordering from RRS due to being "difficult to deal with". Which I took as no discounts on larger order vs. smaller orders. That's my opinion I inferred from the convo. Nobody actually said that. Only what I quoted. They will sell what they left in stock and no longer carry RRS.

I think RRS is a good buy as it always resells quickly and at a really good resale value. You also have a dual market for much of it in photography. Two selling avenues doesn't hurt.

Say I wanted to get into my first tripod setup with an Rt90c. What else is needed? Just a ball mount? Is the “leveling base” y’all talk about required? The ball mounts are all arca rail compatible correct? So with an Rt90c I’d simply need to install an arca rail on my chassis, buy a ball mount (what size mm?) and I’m shooting minute of groundhog? Or is the leveling base required as well? I’m a goon at this tripod stuff and I’m kinda having a hard time figuring out what I need to purchase other than the Rt90c tripod itself. I’m not looking for match grade so much as it will be used for 22lr most of the time but I like the heft of the rt90c for stability reasons should I put my mcrees chassis’s MTU barreled 6.5 lapua on from time to time.

Last edited:
Say I wanted to get into my first tripod setup with an Rt90c. What else is needed? Just a ball mount? Is the “leveling base” y’all talk about required? The ball mounts are all arca rail compatible correct? So with an Rt90c I’d simply need to install an arca rail on my chassis, buy a ball mount (what size mm?) and I’m shooting minute of groundhog? Or is the leveling base required as well? I’m a goon at this tripod stuff and I’m kinda having a hard time figuring out what I need to purchase other than the Rt90c tripod itself. I’m not looking for match grade so much as it will be used for 22lr most of the time but I like the heft of the rt90c for stability reasons should I put my mcrees chassis’s 6.5 lapua on from time to time.
The RT90C comes with both a flat top platform and a leveling base that has a handle down between the legs to tighten/loosen. A lot of people get the special upside-down RRS (Really Right Stuff) Anvil 30 ballhead because it was designed with firearms in mind and is one of the best options. It will clamp on both ARCA rails and picatinny rails.

Most people also get an adapter for in place of the flat platform that has the special taper to mount the RRS Anvil 30. @midwestoffroad makes these and although I don't have one, They look nice.

The other option is a more traditional ballhead which only will clamp on Arca rails. You might look at Hog Saddle as they modified one to make it better for holding a rifle.

You will need the tripod with either a leveling base + an Arca clamp, or a ball head with an Arca clamp.

A mid $$$ configuration many are gravitating to is an RT90-C tripod, midwestoffroad adapter, and RRS Anvil-30. I own this setup and I am very happy with it!
I like how we through around a mid $$$ setup, but 3 years ago, I had a hard time justifying a $100 vanguard tripod to set my $200 Konus Spotting scope on.

😱A 10-20 recoiling rifle needs a little heftier setup than a 2-3 pound non recoiling spotting scope.:cool:
TBH I had never contemplated putting my rifle on it. But now I kind of want to try putting my 9lb hunting rifle on it at least in the short configuration and see if I could take a shot off it. Bipods are just about worthless out here in Wyoming with all the tall grass and sagebrush

What model base is this? This clamps direct to an arca rail I’m assuming, and it fits directly
Into the innorel Rt90c..... so this, and arca rail for my chassis and the tripod is all that’s needed to get shooting ?
Not sure how well that would work with a rifle. You get about ±16⁰ tilt with the rt90, but with this being flat with the top of the tripod, your rifle may hit before you get the full range of motion.

I'm looking at doing a little lighter setup with a leofoto ranger tripod and a field optics pan clamp. I tried the rt90 and it was too big and bulky that I never took it out with me.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.1 KB · Views: 134
  • fbt_asfpl_arca_swiss_picatinny_lever_clamp_with_pan_axis_a.jpg
    fbt_asfpl_arca_swiss_picatinny_lever_clamp_with_pan_axis_a.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 133
Say I wanted to get into my first tripod setup with an Rt90c. What else is needed? Just a ball mount? Is the “leveling base” y’all talk about required? The ball mounts are all arca rail compatible correct? So with an Rt90c I’d simply need to install an arca rail on my chassis, buy a ball mount (what size mm?) and I’m shooting minute of groundhog? Or is the leveling base required as well? I’m a goon at this tripod stuff and I’m kinda having a hard time figuring out what I need to purchase other than the Rt90c tripod itself. I’m not looking for match grade so much as it will be used for 22lr most of the time but I like the heft of the rt90c for stability reasons should I put my mcrees chassis’s MTU barreled 6.5 lapua on from time to time.
Probably going to sell my entire RT90C/Anvil 30/Midwest adapter plate combo next week. I'll post it in the px if interested. Might include a BH-55 knock off leveling head as well.

For lighter I have a Sirui 284 (2lb 10oz) and it’s ok, the RT-90 is much more stable with my SRS @17 lbs but the Sirui plus Anvil is gtg with my 10lb hunting rifle out to 500-550 which is about where my comfort level is for hunting. Here are some pics and measurements in another thread on hunting tripods.

Just the legs are $200, grabbed it used I think for $178.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/hunting-tripod.7004004/post-8538845

Bit the bullet and ordered an RRS TVC33 and another Anvil 30 w/ new apex. I wanted the Versa apex as well so I can add a center post when wanted.

I wanted to compare side by side and to get the feels of an RRS compared to my RT90C w/ Anvil 30. I'm all in on the RRS, I bought the rock claws and QDs for a sling. Those are spendy as usual with RRS.

Probably going to sell my entire RT90C/Anvil 30/Midwest adapter plate combo next week. I'll post it in the px if interested. Might include a BH-55 knock off leveling head as well.
Thanks for heads up. Let me know what your needing out of it. I’m kinda on the fence still about spending the money but might jump on a deal.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Nice that sticks up further than I thought it would. You have the whole range of travel with a rifle on it?

Last edited:
1614366764632.png

Does anyone know of a good qd plate for this base? Can find lots with the knob style but no lever.

Well, I have an RT90c on order right now. Have no clue what an Offroad adapter plate is, but I guess I’ll figure it out later. Woooo.

Reactions: CDNsldr
Well, I have an RT90c on order right now. Have no clue what an Offroad adapter plate is, but I guess I’ll figure it out later. Woooo.

Its this little guy. Accepts the Anvil and secures it with 4 allen head screws and/or the center stud. It prevents you ever having to worry about center stud loosening when panning left. Just send a pm to @midwestoffroad.

Post # 1203 (3 up) shows the Anvil secured to the stock base (silver) that comes with the RT90C, for reference. Id imagine theres less flex with this plate simply due to the increased surface area.

YPgUkqG.jpg

MXHOO4F.jpg

@midwestoffroad

Any thoughts to making adapters for smaller Bowls? A few of the Smaller Innorel tripods would be awesome with a Anvil 30 for a hunting rig.

RTC90 is great, buts its a heavy big bitch for hunting and backpacking.

Reactions: Scotch_egg
Question; why would someone want an rrs Anvil-30 rather than say an rrs Ball Head mount of similar price? The ball heads look more robust to me, but I’ve not used either an not seen them in person.

Question; why would someone want an rrs Anvil-30 rather than say an rrs Ball Head mount of similar price? The ball heads look more robust to me, but I’ve not used either an not seen them in person.
Wondering this myself.

A ball head can be a bit finicky to lock down “just right”. Is a plate/Anvil 30 quicker to get on target and lock down?

The Anvil is advertised as having a stronger lockup than the regular rrs ball heads. Lighter weight. “Rigidity of a leveling base, with the flexibility of a ball head”. Additionally, if the Anvil is paired with the matching RRS tripod, its a very low profile unit when collapsed, as there’s no need for the full size base plate.

It’s amazing what you can learn from reading product descriptions!

The decision could also come down to personal preference...would you prefer to twist a knob to adjust tension, or throw a lever? The Anvil mount also accepts arca as well as pic

Wondering this myself.

A ball head can be a bit finicky to lock down “just right”. Is a plate/Anvil 30 quicker to get on target and lock down?
I don't have one myself but I believe it's in the WAY the anvil locks down. All other traditional ballheads wedge the ball up to tighten and can shift where you're aiming. The anvil has the load sitting on top of the ball and the clamp doesn't move it when locking.

I am thinking of ordering this soon:

If I do, We can touch base and I can get you everything. Not sure how it would work since it appears to be a different design with the center column.
Check out the Innorel RT80C. Looks like the ticket for a dedicated glassing/spotting tripod, or lightweight hunting setup. 3.3lbs

Last edited:
Check out the Innorel RT80C. Looks like the ticket for a dedicated glassing/spotting tripod, or lightweight hunting setup. 3.3lbs
its too big and heavy. that is weight with no adapter/ball head and it takes up more space than something like the 75.

Try shooting with both.

The anvil is FAST to adjust and accepts for picc rails and Arca. Nothing like it on the market.

Ball heads are already obsolete.