• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Imported carbon fiber tripod (RT90C)

If you don’t compete stick with the rt 90. Almost all the versions of this type of tripod come from China. I own one and it has been very good. However, the rrs with anvil is pretty hard to beat. Very light and super stable. I am looking to upgrade soon. I cannot see spending 500-600 on some these Chinese made tripods just my opinion.

Looks like a laser indicator and a Kestrel e-dope card

@danatkins
@canezach nailed it.
It's a Luna IR illuminator to use with the PVS 30 night vision unit.
the other Item is the Kestrel digital heads up display.
displays all my kestrel data /dope

Reactions: canezach
So has anyone shot one of these side by side with a rrs 34. I'm debating which way to upgrade I only get to the range maybe once every other month can't really justify the coin for rrs with no more than it will be used unless it's really heaps better than the 90
Yes. The RT90 is an excellent value and as stable as an RRS34. I own both.

Reactions: zerolumens
Got the last piece in today,

• RT90c
• Leofoto YB-75LC
• Defy 4.6" M-Lok arca rail
$488 all in to get set up for using a tripod isn't bad... and yes, the hype seems warranted.
20210717_132254.jpg

20210717_131721.jpg

20210717_130752.jpg

Technically I got the AS90c, the leveling base was cast and gritty. So the leofoto was a good choice adding arca, a throw lever and smoother operation.

Guys,
Is there a link to where someone had problems with a leg coming out and repairs? I had one pop out and was looking to see what the deal on fixing was.

Guys,
Is there a link to where someone had problems with a leg coming out and repairs? I had one pop out and was looking to see what the deal on fixing was.
I had one leg go bad on me. The locking mechanism failed and the leg wouldn't come out. I reached out to them through Amazon. They replaced the leg no questions asked.

Reactions: CK1.0 and padom
They all will eventually have issues with leg locks if used in severe enough conditions. A lot obviously has to do with how you care for them, the materials used, but also the ability of each carbon leg to be a consistent diameter, smooth, and the wiper quality.

If your strive to save a few $$ like anything you should ask yourself, where might you use the tripod, how much, and what does a failure cost? We have been using them for some time first hunting and then later in matches, but the main use for me has always been Western hunting. Conditions range from the talcum power dirt to snow. The tripods are almost always exposed to the elements as they are strapped to the outside of our packs.

This year's elk hunts were unbelievably hot so what was normally snow was not. Nevertheless, once again shots presented themselves where only a tripod was the proper solution. I'm laying down spotting through a loop in a pinyon tree. If you look at the angles of my binos you can imagine even a super tall bipod would not work and see that this shot setup is completely dependant on the tripod (the shot too far for sticks). While it was cold, this area would normally be snow-covered; the point is to imagine spending gobs of money to get to your hunt, then days spotting, packing, and then having the tripod fail.

During this hunt, we had two guys on RRS, two on leofotto, and one on Feisol. Nothing failed, but my RRS has certainly seen a bunch of hunts and I don't question it; it is worth the extra $ to me. Antidotal as it might be, over the years I have seen a lot of tripod leg locks fail, but only one has been an RRS and that looked to be an mfg issue that was quickly corrected. Either way and whatever tripod you use, if you see the legs starting to get dull or look like they are getting roughed up from the wipers, you probably should clean it more/sooner, but also disassemble and look at replacing the spacers, locks, and wipers if a failure is not something you want to deal with after packing in.

Elk hunt 2021 Mike and Max setup 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 260284
Since most of us don't need a tripod for anything more than holding up a pair of binos most of the time, and maybe shooting off of a little, maybe this will help someone... this setup cost me ~$250, that's all-in shipping and taxes included, and is good to go for up to 44lbs. It's been to 4-5 matches and a bunch of range trips, no issues.

tempImage24rcfQ.png
tempImageY33XZF.png

Even RRS fails.

IMG_0074.jpeg

IMG_0076.jpeg

IMG_0075.jpeg

Sent it in for warranty repair.

RRS doesn't consider the flaking CF around the hole to be in need of repair. They did replace all the inner guides with new ones. But I have two wipers failing as well. They're supposed to send me a new one, they don't know about he second one as I didn't know until I looked closer at the picture, hopefully two or three.

Returned from warranty with new inner guides.

66086851367__8A850804-6A0B-440E-B927-8BFBA19CA606.jpeg

66086873118__633B524C-81AB-4CE8-949F-71B273AE6614.jpeg

IMG_0004.jpeg

Last edited:
Since most of us don't need a tripod for anything more than holding up a pair of binos most of the time, and maybe shooting off of a little, maybe this will help someone... this setup cost me ~$250, that's all-in shipping and taxes included, and is good to go for up to 44lbs. It's been to 4-5 matches and a bunch of range trips, no issues.

View attachment 7764617View attachment 7764614

Looks like a nice setup. What adapter are you using for the Harris, and do you like it?

@Jefe's Dope i can’t speak for what was said to you from our customer service. I know those red circled pieces where from a batch we found out needed replacement. We are sending everyone with that issue we find out a full replacement twist lock with the internals included. The sealed ring was mainly a design for salt water photography. For now just remove those extra pieces and it’ll run fine and let us know and we will send them out. Running it without the doesn’t hurt anything, just to keep you going.

As far as better warranty service you can say what you want, I won’t compare it to another company. For us, we will fix or replace at our discretion for 5 years to make sure it’s back to operable and not fail. If that is what the engineer and assembly directors said was the case I can’t argue their decision but I will inquire. Apologies we didn’t meet your expectations.

One question I have, was that same carbon leg returned to you with that groove missing under the anti-twist flange? (The missing rectangle shaped carbon).

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
Looks like a nice setup. What adapter are you using for the Harris, and do you like it?

Yeah, my budget tripod setup is pretty nice, I was surprised how decent it was when it showed up and how well it's held up and performed (kind of expected it to be shitty, but it's not, and not just "for the money"). If I was going on expensive hunting trips, hell yeah I'd pony up for the legit RRS stuff... but for what mine cost it's absolutely fine for my needs.

The Harris adapter is an RRS HC-Pro, I dig it and think it's great that it works with both ARCA and pic rail too (wish more stuff was like that).

@Jefe's Dope sorry to hear that about RRS... I hate it when so-called "premium" companies that sell "premium" products don't also provide premium customer service, usually that's what I hope I'm paying for when I go top shelf with kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyg
I think all-in I spent more than $1500 on my RRS tripod and add-ons. For that kind of money a five year warranty sucks. As seen above, if I eventually need to have the tripod serviced I'll be in for a hefty bill and most likely disappointment.

Something that had always struck a negative chord with me is the good guy damage control routine on forums after bad service. For that kind of money I expect more. For Innorel money my expectations are lower.

Damn I was considering buying an RRS tripod. Seems a little dumb to buy something that costs that much with a minimal warranty.

Even RRS fails.

View attachment 7764666

View attachment 7764667

View attachment 7764668

Sent it in for warranty repair.

RRS doesn't consider the flaking CF around the hole to be in need of repair. They did replace all the inner guides with new ones. But I have two wipers failing as well. They're supposed to send me a new one, they don't know about he second one as I didn't know until I looked closer at the picture, hopefully two or three.

Returned from warranty with new inner guides.

View attachment 7764669

View attachment 7764670

View attachment 7764671

As seen in this thread, you'll get better warranty service with the cheaper Innorel. They'll either send you a new leg or a new tripod from what I've seen and heard.
Hi Jeff,

That’s the batch I was referring to when I said “looked to be an mfg issue that was quickly corrected”. Surely it’s a bummer if you got one.

Either way my entire point is to know to watch the legs of ALL tripods. Often when something is going south with the wipers, shims locks etc. it will show up on the legs.

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: Jefe's Dope
@Jefe's Dope i can’t speak for what was said to you from our customer service. I know those red circled pieces where from a batch we found out needed replacement. We are sending everyone with that issue we find out a full replacement twist lock with the internals included. The sealed ring was mainly a design for salt water photography. For now just remove those extra pieces and it’ll run fine and let us know and we will send them out. Running it without the doesn’t hurt anything, just to keep you going.

As far as better warranty service you can say what you want, I won’t compare it to another company. For us, we will fix or replace at our discretion for 5 years to make sure it’s back to operable and not fail. If that is what the engineer and assembly directors said was the case I can’t argue their decision but I will inquire. Apologies we didn’t meet your expectations.

One question I have, was that same carbon leg returned to you with that groove missing under the anti-twist flange? (The missing rectangle shaped carbon).
Appreciate the reply.

Good to know the wipers aren't necessary.

Everything returned is the same with the exception of the replacement inner guide bushings (that's what I refer to them. The ones with the triangle shaped openings vs. the original parallel version). And appeared to have been "refreshed" with some new grease on the twist locks.
*All photos below "Returned from warranty with new inner guides." in my post above are after I received it back.

1. The tripod works as expected with the exception of the wipers coming loose. I inquired as to what I was doing wrong that makes these come loose in my most recent reply to your warranty department. But it seems you've answered the question here with bad batch.

2. Your warranty dept. has been excellent with me and has been fast to reply and both send a shipping label and return my tripod to me. Again, in prefect working order. I only knew the hole in the leg remained un repaired because I look it apart to see what became of the hole.

3. I've edited my post above due to the fact that I don't think I fairly portrayed your warranty dept. vs. others. I was wrong.

*TO BE CRYSTAL CLEAR*

I very much like my RRS tripod. It has worked for everything I've used it for even when one of the inner guide bushings was damaged. This only caused the leg section to have a bit more resistance and not pull as smoothly as the other two. Which prompted me to disassemble and inspect.

When the tripod was returned from warranty repair, it worked as good as new. I only knew the hole had not been repaired when I disassembled to see what was done to repair the hole.

I did have expectations that the hole would either be repaired in some manner or that leg section would be replaced. I'm a bit disappointed that the hole was not at least repaired in some manner. When I contacted customer service about the hole not being repaired, I received a similar response to yours in regards to what the engineer's decision was.

My concern in not that it is in working order today, but six years from now when I'm out of warranty and the hole fails.

I have and will continue to recommend an RRS tripod to anyone asking. But I will also relay my experience as it is not a trivial purchase. Even in this sport.

@Jefe's Dope thank you for explaining. Tomorrow I’ll check in with assembly and engineers with that picture. To me it looks like that chuck missing would be a crucial material to hold the anti-twist flanges in place when deploying quick and hitting that hard stop. I’ll send you a PM afterwards with the issue. I’m currently in west coast time so my answer will be later in the day eastern.

Yeah, my budget tripod setup is pretty nice, I was surprised how decent it was when it showed up and how well it's held up and performed (kind of expected it to be shitty, but it's not, and not just "for the money"). If I was going on expensive hunting trips, hell yeah I'd pony up for the legit RRS stuff... but for what mine cost it's absolutely fine for my needs.

The Harris adapter is an RRS HC-Pro, I dig it and think it's great that it works with both ARCA and pic rail too (wish more stuff was like that).

@Jefe's Dope sorry to hear that about RRS... I hate it when so-called "premium" companies that sell "premium" products don't also provide premium customer service, usually that's what I hope I'm paying for when I go top shelf with kit.

Hi CK1, maybe I missed this somewhere, but what brand and model is the tripod and head?

@Jefe's Dope thank you for explaining. Tomorrow I’ll check in with assembly and engineers with that picture. To me it looks like that chuck missing would be a crucial material to hold the anti-twist flanges in place when deploying quick and hitting that hard stop. I’ll send you a PM afterwards with the issue. I’m currently in west coast time so my answer will be later in the day eastern.
Thanks for all your help. Will update here soon.

Reactions: Diver160651
The 2 vets won't work.

The new style is pretty thin like aprox .300 thick and and uses the center threaded rod to retain it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211227-180334_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20211227-180334_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 62
The 2 vets won't work.

The new style is pretty thin like aprox .300 thick and and uses the center threaded rod to retain it.
Will your adapter work on the RT80C? I have one on a 90 and am looking for another tripod that is lighter for when I am more mobile.

Thanks for all your help. Will update here soon.
I wanted to post an update to my experience with RRS. Everything is on this page if you're unclear.

I received my new leg section today and installed it with the three new wipers I'd received a few weeks ago.

I'd like to give a shout-out to @MPHReallyRightStuff for seeing my post and acting. I did not PM him for help. He stepped up and advocated for me with their warranty department and as a result, they've changed the way they review incoming products. This is how good great companies respond.

Thanks MPHReallyRightStuff and Chris in warranty at RRS.

IMG_0103.jpeg

In all its glory. :D

IMG_0104.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a RT90C with the RRS Anvil that I love shooting off, but I want to pick up another tripod for running my Binos/Spotting scope off of in matches. I want something a little lighter and smaller then the RT90C. Is the 80 still the way to go or should I try one of the other newer Innorel models?

I have a RT90C with the RRS Anvil that I love shooting off, but I want to pick up another tripod for running my Binos/Spotting scope off of in matches. I want something a little lighter and smaller then the RT90C. Is the 80 still the way to go or should I try one of the other newer Innorel models?
I really like the new st344c. I have sold 6-8 of them and 30+rt90c and all been great. no faults at all.

Reactions: Eric_F
Got myself a rt90c but having trouble picking a ball head for it. I know everyone loves the anvil 30 but I don’t compete and honestly will use the thing about 4-5 times a year. Any recommendations for a ball head that isn’t almost $400 including an adapter to work. Not looking for the cheapest ball head out there either. Rifle weighs 13lbs.

Got myself a rt90c but having trouble picking a ball head for it. I know everyone loves the anvil 30 but I don’t compete and honestly will use the thing about 4-5 times a year. Any recommendations for a ball head that isn’t almost $400 including an adapter to work. Not looking for the cheapest ball head out there either. Rifle weighs 13lbs.
Sunwayfoto ib30 or Desmond 55 dlow

Reactions: TrevK
I put leofoto lh-55 ($249) on the rt90c. It's more heavy duty than I expected.

Reactions: TrevK
It has been 3+ years since I started this thread and owning the RT90C. I am happy to report that the tripod is still going strong. I've had zero issues to date. I definitely got my money's worth with this purchase. If it all of a sudden craps out I won't be mad.

Same.

Reactions: 021411
Thanks for all of the help guys! I will do some more reading on them today.

I have a Leofoto SO-282C arriving today that I plan on utilizing predominately for rear support. Of their three models, the 282C is the smaller one with 32mm outer legs. It should be arriving later today. I’ll give my thoughts on it. Two Vets got some more IB-30 in so one should be arriving to me next week.

3111C3F3-7ECA-49EB-B620-16C8A1C0ECB5.jpeg
FC0A7B0C-72A4-45ED-82DB-C882B99C9354.jpeg
2D3E80DD-1CE9-4598-93D7-EBDF763B8F53.jpeg
E2B6E9A7-7DFB-4DD8-829A-0826E08AFA44.jpeg
So here it is.. the Leofoto SO-282C. Off the cuff it is very light and surprisingly nicely made. I’ll leave it at that and will not compare it to anything else on market or ever say “it’s just as good.” It’s a little on the narrower side but for occasional rear support and to run binos I can justify it. Fully collapsed it’s about 3’ tall. Fully extended it is 5.5’ or so.

The upper (inner) legs are about 28mm OD and lower (outer) legs are 33mm OD. I messed around the house with the rifle and tripod in various heights. The upper legs feel fine for support. I also applied downward pressure on one leg. Felt stable enough. The apex is very small at 2” wide. One thing I don’t like is how they reversed the locking collars. Lefty tighty, righty loosey. To save time on production they probably just flipped a set of legs upside down and mounted them up. Lol

I wanted to post an update to my experience with RRS. Everything is on this page if you're unclear.

I received my new leg section today and installed it with the three new wipers I'd received a few weeks ago.

I'd like to give a shout-out to @MPHReallyRightStuff for seeing my post and acting. I did not PM him for help. He stepped up and advocated for me with their warranty department and as a result, they've changed the way they review incoming products. This is how good great companies respond.

Thanks MPHReallyRightStuff and Chris in warranty at RRS.

View attachment 7783817

In all its glory. :D

View attachment 7783818

This example of customer service is worth the money spent.

I had a similar looking issue on a slot in a Precision Reflex Inc Carbon Fiber Handguard, yes the same PRI that made MK 12 SPR parts.

They told me that the defect was completely normal. You could pull apart the carbon fiber weave by hand. Thats how poorly it was done around the slots. Based on that idea of "normal" I realized long term if something else went wrong, I'd be SOL, and promptly sent it back to them..

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
View attachment 7814800View attachment 7814801View attachment 7814802View attachment 7814803So here it is.. the Leofoto SO-282C. Off the cuff it is very light and surprisingly nicely made. I’ll leave it at that and will not compare it to anything else on market or ever say “it’s just as good.” It’s a little on the narrower side but for occasional rear support and to run binos I can justify it. Fully collapsed it’s about 3’ tall. Fully extended it is 5.5’ or so.

The upper (inner) legs are about 28mm OD and lower (outer) legs are 33mm OD. I messed around the house with the rifle and tripod in various heights. The upper legs feel fine for support. I also applied downward pressure on one leg. Felt stable enough. The apex is very small at 2” wide. One thing I don’t like is how they reversed the locking collars. Lefty tighty, righty loosey. To save time on production they probably just flipped a set of legs upside down and mounted them up. Lol
I wish 2 vets would build there inverted in this way with the locking collars up. I like there locking collars and I like the version 1 Apex that is large for throwing a bag on top.

I wish 2 vets would build there inverted in this way with the locking collars up. I like there locking collars and I like the version 1 Apex that is large for throwing a bag on top.
Even though the apex of the 282C is small, it seems to support a WCMFC just fine. I obviously need to shoot off of it to see but just placing it on there and pressing down in it, seems ok.

Just ordered a TVC22I to replace the RTC-90 with Midwest Plate and Anvil 30. I will move the Anvil over to the RRS leggs but need to decide what to do with the RTC90 and plate.

Is there a good cheaper ballhead that would fit and it can be a backup tripod? Something like this: https://cameragearstore.com/collect...0-ma-30l-rapid-lock-ball-head-for-soar-tripod

If I don't use the plate are there good options to drop in?

Just ordered a TVC22I to replace the RTC-90 with Midwest Plate and Anvil 30. I will move the Anvil over to the RRS leggs but need to decide what to do with the RTC90 and plate.

Is there a good cheaper ballhead that would fit and it can be a backup tripod? Something like this: https://cameragearstore.com/collect...0-ma-30l-rapid-lock-ball-head-for-soar-tripod

If I don't use the plate are there good options to drop in?
C3EEACC5-2860-4AE2-A1B7-1535A8E61432.jpeg

Sunwayfoto IB-30 purchased from Two Vets. Works fine and is cheap.

Reactions: 260284 and TrevK