• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Improving accuracy in an AR-10

McGuyver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
Utah
Hi guys,

I have an Armalite AR-10T with 20" heavy SS barrel and Magpull PRS stock that I'd like to make more accurate. Seems the best it can do is around 1MOA, and sometime not even that. The gun came with a two stage match trigger, but I don't really like how it brakes and how heavy the pull is. I'm wondering if I go to something like a Geiselle(?)that can adjust the pull down to around a pound if this can help me bring my groups in. Current two stage match trigger pull is around 3 to 5 pounds (although that is a guess, I haven't measured it yet). I do have some misgivings however about putting on a trigger with that light of a pull due to some reports I've read of people bump firing the gun into an quasi full automatic mode. Is this really a concern that I should shy away from that light a trigger pull, or could this be remedied with a two stage trigger with a longer reset? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks

Re: Improving accuracy in an AR-10

Mcguyver,

AR accuracy has to do with two things:
1. Barrel
2. Trigger

You've already mentioned that you have issues with your trigger. You need to upgrade/replace your trigger with something more to your liking.

Additionally, you havent told us what type of ammo youve been shooting. Many rifles are picky about what ammo they like. its possible you have not fed the rifle a steady diet of what it likes.

FInally, Are you a reloader? If not, you really can't understand how much versatility you are giving up. You can reload match-grade ammo...specifically, the one your particular rifle likes best for $0.38/rd, rather than paying $1.50-$2.50 per round for it.

I need not tell you what that translates to in terms of trigger time and proficiency.

Best,

Trigger, also what Ammo ammo are you using or have tested with? Some of these Like the Federal GMM 168 and some like the 175.

Hi guys,

yes I reload my own. I've been feeding the gun 175 gr SMK's, Winchester brass, CCI BR2 primers, and 43.0 grains of Varget (I was running 45.0 gr previously, but I felt it was too hot, so I backed it off). I probably could stand to do a little more load development, as I'm not convinced this is the "accuracy" load. 2.810" COAL on this gun so that I can fit in a standard mag.

I have some 168 gr. SMK's I could load up too, but haven't done so yet.

So, back on the trigger question: Any suggestions? Geissele? Jewel? Timney? After a cursory search, it seems to me that not all the triggers available are adjustable below about 3 pounds, and and not all are suitable for an AR-10.

I have some links for you, short clips of the Sniper'sHide online training where Lowlight (SH owner) gives advice on how to shoot an AR platform more accurately. There is more to it than a trigger and a barrel but those are two key parts to the puzzle. Its different than shooting a bolt action though. Follow through and consistency are even more important with them.

On my AR-10 I had the trigger worked on by a hide member. It breaks at 1.5 lbs. I haven't had any problems with bump firing;just remember to hold back on the trigger until the recoil stops.
I also found that IMR 4895 works great in a 20"er

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have some links for you, short clips of the Sniper'sHide online training where Lowlight (SH owner) gives advice on how to shoot an AR platform more accurately. There is more to it than a trigger and a barrel but those are two key parts to the puzzle. Its different than shooting a bolt action though. Follow through and consistency are even more important with them.
</div></div>

I'd be glad to see them. Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrhog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On my AR-10 I had the trigger worked on by a hide member. It breaks at 1.5 lbs. I haven't had any problems with bump firing;just remember to hold back on the trigger until the recoil stops.
I also found that IMR 4895 works great in a 20"er </div></div>

Are you using the stock Armalite two stage match trigger? I'd be interested in knowing how your friend did that...

AR DRIVING

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consistant Position, followthrough, make sure your ballance, Shoulder pressure, cheekweld everything!!!!!!! is consistant shot to shot. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Another thought: As this is your first autoloader, make sure you're "in tune" with the rifle before doing load development. They are hard to drive well. Focus on the 90° angle in your first finger joint, addressing the trigger 1/2 way between tip and second joint, and pressing that trigger straight through the buttstock into your shoulder! </div></div>

Online training teasers

SHOOTING A SEMI AUTO-JACOB FROM R.O.

TRIGGER FINGER-PAD vs JOINT

STRAIGHT BACK-BEHIND THE RIFLE

LOADING THE BIPOD

There are a lot more but that will get you started. You can also get a membership here to the online training

Thanks for the links to the videos.

I've gone back and forth between the pad and joint on the AR. I prefer using the pad on my bolt guns, but it feels so akward to do on an AR, I relented to use the first joint of the finger. Still don't like it though. I bought an Ergo delux grip recently, and I'm hoping the thicker grip will move my hand back far enough to make it feel more natural to use the pad of the finger...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McGuyver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrhog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On my AR-10 I had the trigger worked on by a hide member. It breaks at 1.5 lbs. I haven't had any problems with bump firing;just remember to hold back on the trigger until the recoil stops.
I also found that IMR 4895 works great in a 20"er </div></div>

Are you using the stock Armalite two stage match trigger? I'd be interested in knowing how your friend did that... </div></div>
Yes it's the factory trigger....
this guy.........http://triggerwork.net/index.html
did a great job for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McGuyver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the links to the videos.

I've gone back and forth between the pad and joint on the AR. I prefer using the pad on my bolt guns, but it feels so akward to do on an AR, I relented to use the first joint of the finger. Still don't like it though. I bought an Ergo delux grip recently, and I'm hoping the thicker grip will move my hand back far enough to make it feel more natural to use the pad of the finger... </div></div>Some of the best shooters here and the guys at Rifles Only and the site owner say that everything needs to be built from the trigger finger back. So do everything you can to get that pad of your finger 90* to the trigger, forming an L shape between the tip and middle knuckle and pull straight back. They say you cannot achieve a stright back pull using a joint in your finger.

This is almost word for word from a clip from the SH online training of Jacob from Rifles Only <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The trigger acts like a tuning fork when the explosion from the bullet happens. When you set off a tuning fork then touch it to something it bounces away from that object. The trigger being the tuning fork and your finger being the object it bounces off of. If you pull the trigger right during the shot, your shot will go left. If you pull the trigger left, shot goes right."</div></div> So pulling the trigger straight back is crucial.

Here is Lowlight talking about some of this method. Notice how different Jacob's grip is compared to what you would be used to. The top pic is how he describes that some of his students have to position their hand to get the 90. The second pic is the grip he uses. This is the way he has to position his hand on this rifle to get the 90* straight back pull. It might be different for other people and different from rifle to rifle but you need to build your grip depending on this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The credit goes to Rifles Only for this grip

The Online Training posted "trigger school" in August of 2009... here is the screen shot from that...

trigger1.jpg

trigger2.jpg

You have to support the rifle with the firing hand. Done correctly the rifle is supported and floating the thumb is only an option, not a rule. The goal of that position is to use the mechanics of the 90 degree trigger finger, and to support the rifle during recoil.

The way to eliminate the sympathetic squeeze is to rotate the hand to achieve the 90 and then to use a front to back pressure against the grip like the firing hand of a handgun. Trigger school, is only one part and is over 10 minutes long, it doesn't even address Follow Through which is another 10 minutes worth... 20 minutes on Trigger Control alone... not including other instances of discussion on it.
</div></div>

I tried this at home, dry firing and watching the trigger and my finger pad placement and how it affected the trigger pull. I did go out and shoot for the day while practicing it and it did make a difference for me, still working on it.

The tuning fork comment made a lot of sense to me and set that light bulb off in my head. The SH online training teasers are great, much less the actual training videos. They are full of no bullshit, plain English information and proven techniques.

It cannot be perfectly explained with still shots and words. Some of this stuff has to be seen to really sink in and understand. What I explained is about two minutes of a 5 minute teaser type clip I have seen. I plan on signing up for the full online training soon and eventually some classes.

I had an Armalite just like yours doing the same thing with the exact same load, 43 varget with a 175 SMK in win brass, i replaced the factory barrel with a 21 inch Novesky 1-11 twist and a two stage geissele trigger, next range trip this AR10 ran just under a half MOA.
good trigger control, follow through etc didn't do much but a better barrel and trigger with proper trigger control did the trick.
hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McGuyver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I do have some misgivings however about putting on a trigger with that light of a pull due to some reports I've read of people bump firing the gun into an quasi full automatic mode. Is this really a concern that I should shy away from that light a trigger pull, or could this be remedied with a two stage trigger with a longer reset?</div></div>Like someone mentioned above, keep the trigger pressed all the way through the shot and follow through then let the trigger reset.

That is shown in the first minute of this clip.

SHOOTING A SEMI AUTO LESSON TEASER

He also explains the grip on an AR

Try a Rock River Arms 2 stage trigger. I have one in my AR-10. Very nice trigger for 150.00
Steve

You can buy the RRA 2 stage for 80$ if you surf around and look for deals on forums. I bought my last 3 for 75$ each.

Geisselle SSA-E is better but not by a whole lot.

To the OP: the groups you're getting now are typical of what I've seen from AR10T uppers. Working on the fundamentals/more load experimentation might get you better but a new barrel would up the odds for sure. At least play with a couple different bullets and try new seating depths etc before plunking down $$$$ for new barrel.

Hmmm.... I only have a few hundred rounds through this gun. I hate to replace a practically brand new barrel. I think I might try replacing the trigger with something like a geissele first where I can adjust it down real light. If that doesn't work, then I'll consider a new Kreiger. Maybe even add a few inches as 20 inches is a little on the short side.... Thanks for the input guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tx_Flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
AR accuracy has to do with <span style="text-decoration: line-through">two</span> <span style="font-style: italic">six</span> things:
1. Barrel
2. Trigger
</div></div>
3. Ammo
4. Optics
5. Proficiency of the shooter
6. Shooting conditions

I don't think bump-firing should be an issue with a good light trigger. I've never had any issues with it, and I have a very light trigger on a 7.62, and an extremely light trigger on a 5.56. I can force a bump-fire on the 5.56, but only if I intend to...I've never had it happen by accident.

Have you ever shot tight groups before? Only reason I ask is it might not be the gun. Best way to find out is to shoot a friends gun, see if you can shoot the same groups he does with his gun.

I have found my AR-10 SuperSASS likes the lighter loads. For my Suppressed AR-10, I use 175gr SMK's and 41.9 gr of Varget in LC cases. Right around .60 MOA 5-shot groups consistently if the barrel is cool. Sometimes it does even better.

I found the biggest thing to maintaining consistency is a nice trigger. The Armalite NM 2-stage trigger was decent, but I did not get consistent groups until I plucked down $250 for a Gissele Hi-Speed Match. I have it set at about 8oz for the 2nd stage now, and I do not have any problems with it. Gissele's are bad ass!

For same hole accuracy, I accidentally discovered Savage Fireform Brass with the same load above, about .3 MOA when barrel is cold!

I've never got stellar tight groups with this gun. With my other bolt guns I've got 1/2 MOA, so I don't think it's the shooter.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McGuyver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never got stellar tight groups with this gun. With my other bolt guns I've got 1/2 MOA, so I don't think it's the shooter.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Alright, if you can shoot half-moa with one gun, and not the other, then it's most definitely the gun
wink.gif

I got around 1 MOA for roughly the first 100 rounds also. For me getting it down to about half:

- gissele match trigger. The Gissele did not help improve my accuracy, it only helped keep me consistent.

- different bipod. The Harris was too bouncy and I could not properly weigh it down.

- If you are shooting off bags, is your handguard free floated?

- went with a lighter load (orginally to prevent groups from opening up not as quickly, but found it just seemed more accurate).

- shot suppressed (not sure if this helped, but she only shoots exclusively suppressed now on "S" mode)

- Did all the work above at about 400 rounds or so maybe your gun just needs more break in? I have heard with AR's for all out accuracy, the male-lugs in the bolt needs to properly mate with the female-lugs of the barrel extension.

smschulz,

Point taken...however, everything else being equal (they seldom are), without a good barrel and predictable trigger,(barrel being waay more critical) no combination of baddass scopes, sub-moa ammo, and proficiency will turn a 4moa rifle into a sub-moa gun...I submit the run of the mill ak-47 as Exhibit A.

My LR-308 will not shoot FGMM into a sub-moa group...however, i can get sub 0.5"groups with my reloads with or without a scope (running irons).

By the way, whereabouts in houston are you located? what range do you frequent?

I think I'm going to start by buying a Geissele Hi Speed Match 2 stage trigger and also do some further load development to see if I can shrink the group that way. If that doesn't yield results, then I'll consider a new barrel. Thanks for the input guys!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McGuyver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never got stellar tight groups with this gun. With my other bolt guns I've got 1/2 MOA, so I don't think it's the shooter.
wink.gif
</div></div>AR's don't shoot like bolts because of all the movement in the bolt carrier group while the bullet is traveling down the barrel. It makes all the fundamentals of shooting that much more important. It may be any of the following; the barrel, the trigger, the ammo, the shooter or a combo of any or all of the above. Don't rule out the fact that you might not be running it right, and know that you can improve on your shooting no matter what. I have put better triggers in guns only to shoot them worse for a while due to being so used to the slop and creep that the old trigger had. A better trigger will help in the long run though, no matter what the problem is or problems are.

My $0.02:

My SASS runs about 1moa, sometimes worse. I've done all kinds of load development for it. I can shoot boltguns great. I was beginning to subscribe to all the hoopla about gasguns being harder to shoot well than boltguns - that is, until I got the chance to play with a buddies Les Baer 308 AR. I immediately began stacking round after round at 200 yards, and really got in the groove. Switched to my SASS, which ergonomically is identical (even the same scope), and the results were the same old 1+ moa. Back to the Baer, and stacked shots again.

Live with the 1+ moa, or send if off for a tune up! You can polish the turd with new triggers and grips and waste hundreds on reloading components, but if YOU know you can shoot and the rifle isn't doing it, sell it, live with it, or get it worked on.

The way I see it is if you have really good form, breathing, trigger squeeze, pull straight back and follow through etc, etc, etc on your bolt gun then an AR shouldn't give you problems. If you slack on any of those the problem will be magnified with an AR. I haven't been shooting AR's near as long as bolt guns and I'm working on getting better with both of mine. I can tell a difference.

Its like shooting my newer Mathews compound bow compared to the oldschool late 80's Bear I started with. Both can be really accurate but the Mathews(bolt gun) is way more forgiving of my flaws in technique. Snatch the release/trigger on the Bear(AR) and its worse than if you did it with the much more forgiving Mathews(bolt gun).

Good follow through and trigger reset seems a lot more important with the AR's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My $0.02:
You can polish the turd with new triggers and grips and waste hundreds on reloading components, but if YOU know you can shoot and the rifle isn't doing it, sell it, live with it, or get it worked on. </div></div>

This sounds good to me too ^

Find someone near you with a proven hammer for an AR platform, swap guns for a few groups and compare yours vs theirs. It could give you a lot of information and or save you some time and money trouble shooting yours.

All of the following could have a big affect on it. You don't have to answer them, just pointing them out.

Did you buy your rifle new?

If it was used do you have a clue of how it was cleaned or the round count?

There could be scars around the crown etc from bronze brush cleaning/abuse.

Have you tried cleaning just the carbon with solvent and patches and not the copper like some folks recommend?

Have you brushed it back to bare metal?

How many rounds have you fired through it?

Some barrels take a while to settle in and some people shoot theirs for 100's of rounds between cleanings.

There are so many variables its not funny.

Shooting it right and a good trigger will never hurt though and like you said, that's a good starting point. Good luck man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My $0.02:

My SASS runs about 1moa, sometimes worse. I've done all kinds of load development for it. I can shoot boltguns great. I was beginning to subscribe to all the hoopla about gasguns being harder to shoot well than boltguns - that is, until I got the chance to play with a buddies Les Baer 308 AR. I immediately began stacking round after round at 200 yards, and really got in the groove. Switched to my SASS, which ergonomically is identical (even the same scope), and the results were the same old 1+ moa. Back to the Baer, and stacked shots again.

Live with the 1+ moa, or send if off for a tune up! You can polish the turd with new triggers and grips and waste hundreds on reloading components, but if YOU know you can shoot and the rifle isn't doing it, sell it, live with it, or get it worked on. </div></div>

I think the AR-10 SASS has a loose chamber and comes with a slightly heavy trigger because it is first and foremost a combat gun. It's basically the same Armalite that Canadian DMR's used. A tight chamber generally means better accuracy, but for a gas gun, it also means it will be less reliable. Over gassing is not an option because you do not have the ability to adjust the gas other than running suppressed.

Bolt guns are almost always half MOA once you have your gun set up because you can use fireform brass, to me this is the greatest single thing you can do to help accuracy. My AR-10 works great with Savage Fireform brass, it almost seems like it was made for the AR-10. Cuts my groups down from .6 to .3 MOA.

A new custom barrel is a great option, as I am sure the chamber will be tighter for full-sized cases, not just that but custom barrels tend to have better finished chamber and rifling.

Yeah, I was aware of that aspect of Semi-autos vs. bolt guns. And it's true, I only neck size the brass on my bolt guns, whereas I full length size the brass used on the AR-10 (to insure proper feeding). Could I neck size only on the AR? Sure, probably, but at the cost of reliability. I could also alter the COAL to seat the bullet up to the lands but do so at the cost of not fitting in a standard mag, and I would have to single shot load the gun (at that point, I may as well shoot a bolt gun). I could also do a tighter custom chambering on a new barrel, but I increase the chance of the gun jamming in dirty conditions. In all things, there are compromises that have to be made. I think if I were to do some of these things, that it would nulify the guns reliability and its semi-auto capability. I guess we all have to figure out where we want that balance of to reside.

what mags you are using to feed her? I have a very diff results with diff mags on my ar-based platform. If single loading, is she still above moa? Using Bob's Sled(tm)? And of course, ar has too many variables... its not a bolt at all, im still sucks with it being not bad bolt shooter.

McGuyver, just a couple questions. how are you staging the rifle? Are you shooting from a table? Prone? Are you bagging the entire rifle? Bipod? If so, which one? Rear bag? You may have mentioned this already. I don't think I saw it. If you did, I apologize to everyone.

It takes a long time to get proficient with an auto and I think throwing parts at it is a mistake. Throw some ammo at it instead, and shoot the shit out of it.

I'm not even completely convinced that the ability to shoot sub-moa with one stick, necessarily has anything to do with the inability do do so with another apparently similar rig, other than subtle differences between platforms that you the shooter has yet to discover.

Reloading? Searching for a load before you find the minimum dispersion possible from known good factory match ammo is likely another mistake and this cannot be determined by a few range trips if you have little trigger time on a AR10.

1MOA at 1k yards is a 10 inch group or a center mass body shot. It is not a broke rifle.

I would do only 4 things if it were me...
1. Sign up for training
2. Buy ammo
3. Shoot
4. Repeat 2&3 until you wear the thing out

TIFWIW

AlienSixOne,
I am using Armalite factory GenII mags, with a mix of feeding the gun, but more single shot than loaded mag to date.

Newtrick:
I've shot from a bench and prone, without much difference in my groups. I use a Harris bipod up front, and started with a rear bag (don't remember the brand) but have since added a monopod at the rear (Not convinced they're all they're made out to be, but they are convenient.)

BattleAx:
I reload because it's cheaper, and there is the <span style="font-style: italic">potential</span> for greater accuracy with hand loads (at least on a bolt gun. Probably six's with a semi auto). I've paid for enough training already. I'm in the "get out and practice" phase now.

American Trigger's SR Gold is an awesome trigger. It's 2nd stage engagement and pull weight can be adjusted with an allen wrench.