• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Improving ruger 10/22 accuracy

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
The more I shoot my rimfires, the more accuracy I want. The last thing I need is to go way overboard on expensive gun changes that don't gain me much in terms of accuracy, but bankrupt me. What would be the best "bang for the buck" in terms of improving my ruger? Trigger? Heavier barrel? Match grade ammo?

Re: Improving ruger 10/22 accuracy

Match grade ammo is always a great choice. Since reloading isn't an option here the ammo you choose can be important. The trigger can make anicer and cleaner break. A target bull barrel might also help.

Butler Creek target barrel and stock combo.

Lothar-Walther also makes good 10/22 barrels, and many of the other brands get their barrels from them, too.

Ammo is #1 - you have to find what the gun likes... and it will change if you swap barrels.

#2 is trigger (hammer, etc) - a 6# trigger is conducive to pulling your shots off

#3 is barrel - there are many good ones out there: Clark, KIDD, Volquartsen, Shilen, etc... but just because the barrel is heavier, doesn't mean it is better. A WhistlePig or Tactical Solutions will NOT run as well as a higher end barrel just because it is a .920 contour

#4 is stock - this is more for your comfort, there are a LOT of options out there

I left Base/Ring and Optics out, but obviously you can't hit what you can't see. There are a ton of options out there for this as well. For a good mid-priced scope, I love the Weaver T24 but your taste/budget may vary.

More importantly, just have fun with that thing!

2723160215_large.jpg

Get a decent barrel, bed the action yourself, put a brass pillar bed in for the take down. Do your own trigger job, or get a drop in power custom hammer and sear. All of these but the new barrel can be done for $30 including the beer budget.

Shoot several brands of ammo at various distance and jot down which ammo performed best at what distance. I have a modified 10/22 with a hogue stock and a tac-sol barrel. Weighs in under 6lbs. With Fiocchi ammo I can hit golf balls at 200 yards all day long. At 50 yards the same ammo groups like a shotgun. Hates all wolf ammo at all distances the same with all winchester brand ammo. Loves all federal bulk to 100 yds. You just gotta find the right combo for your stick.

The great thing about the 10/22 is that alot of the stuff can be done by yourself. I would try some differant ammo and see if one provides the accuracy your looking for. If not get a match hammer from one of the aftermarket companies then research trigger jobs. I have one that is at 2lbs that I did myself. Then I would look at a barrel. I have 2 Green Mountains and love them. Amazing for thier cost. Then try a bunch of differant ammo. Have fun along the way.
Heres one, it has all the home upgrades I could do, a stock I shaped and finished and 18" GM barrel. Not tactical but fun.
Picture755.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2723160215_large.jpg
</div></div>

What is the camo stock on the bottom carbine?

B.Melick - It is the Boyds "Tacticool" I did my first camo job on it with Krylon.

Regardless of the firearm, ammo always matters. You might find you get best accuracy from Eley Match or you might get just as good from American Eagle.

The 10/22s Achilles' heel is that the unthreaded barrel fits sloppily in an unthreaded hole in a flimsy aluminum receiver, secured by just a V-block and a couple of set screws. Not a good plan, which makes the fix(es) sorta haphazard, too.

Some people epoxy the barrel into the receiver. Some folks free float the receiver and bed the barrel. Others bed the receiver and the first couple inches of the barrel. None of these "fixes" takes a lot of money but they all require some personal involvement, trial and error, and some sweat equity.

As was already mentioned, you can do a lot of little things yourself to make it a better shooter... I got a manual (download) from this site, did the mods, it made a huge difference.. good luck and enjoy the journey... mark

http://www.theworks1022.com/

Great source - thanks. Haven't done much of my own "gunsmithing", but this is going to be my entry point into that world.

Most cost effective is the trigger. Either a VQ or PC hammer, and otherwise shuffle over to rimfirecentral and see the Hammer Stoning FAQ in their 1022 section.

I have a Rimfire Technologies re-worked stock bbl and adj v-block. Shoots well and magically also eats cheap Fed bulk for blasting days.

With a cleaned up trigger, RFT bbl work, and either Fed 714 or Aguila SV, anything but a 10 ring is my fault.

If you want a target stock, the Tacticool at Boyds fits well and came cheap. It's a bit soft for serious leaning on/tight slinging, but $90ish shipped still well spent.

I also picked up a GM aero barrel. It seems to have increased accuracy at 100 yds. I am happy with the addition.

I have built a half dozen 10/22 guns over the past 14 years. I have not had any problem getting them to shoot MOA out to 100 yards (farther I have tested them) with their favorite ammo. Unfortunately, none have had the same taste for ammo.

I have had good success with the Adams & Bennett barrels from Midway. Granted it's been 10 years since I bought any from them, but they still work for me. I use a Power Custom mount that has 2 screw holes for the barrel. So there are a total of 6 screws in the mount. It makes the barrel/receiver mount a lot stiffer. Granted it is not as stiff as a threaded receiver/barrel mating but I have not had any complaints about the accuracy. I had one that was a well used factory configuration and the barrel had been on and off multiple times. This one would shoot good groups but kept moving the POI with a mag change. I added a Power Custom mount with the extra 2 holes and it fixed the issue.

My best results have been to epoxy bed from the front of the magazine well to the top of the forend. No floating the barrel, definitely not with the .920" heavy barrels. The single mounting screw and aluminum action is not strong enough IMO to support a heavy barrel.

I did my first gun with Volquartsen trigger parts and still did not achieve a result I was looking for. I now only use factory parts but add shims on each side of the hammer and sear and use a Power Custom Series 1 fixture to do a trigger job. I harden the hammer hooks and sear with Kasenit and they have not had an issue in 14 years. I drill and tap the factory trigger to 14-40 tpi and install an over travel screw.

I did a little work on the bolt. I did cut down the headspace to .0425" and that tightened up things a lot. Randy at CPC has been tweaking the 10/22 for many years now. I have seen his work and he can make a factory barrel 10/22 shoot about as good as a custom heavy barreled gun. ct-precision dot com

I work in a manufacturing facility and have read a bit about what Ruger is going to change their manufacturing (i.e. plastic trigger guards).
Blueprinting a 10/22 is a good point, but ideally I'd love to build my own receiver so I know it's done to my tolerances.

The change to polymer trigger housings happened last year. They claim they can hold closer tolerances than the aluminum castings formerly used.
There are several aftermarket receivers in steel and aluminum, as well as 80% receivers available.
I suspect Tony KIDD's receivers are pretty uniform. (coolguyguns.com).
Tony sells bar none the best 10/22 triggers on the planet.
Rather than just tightening up tolerances on the designed-for ease-of-production Ruger design, the KID trigger id designed for precision and consistency. It adjusts for length of pull, first stage, second stage, from 6oz to about 2 1/2 lb.

magnum research .17mach2 with KIDD industries single stage trigger , guide rod kit , and extractor kit . with Leatherwood’s 1x-4x 24 CMR illuminated retical scope ! i just added the kidd parts the .17 was very accurate any way but the kidd single stage trigger is a very nice and repeatable trigger that if in the range of what your willing to spend i think you would be very happy !
17mach2004JPG.jpg

I was on a similar quest this summer. I am close to a local range so i could spend 2-3 evenings a week working on this project. I spent too much money on some stuff and after 4,500 rounds I'v learned.......
There are three areas to improve when working on a rifle
1. The inherent accuracy of the riffle
2. The interface between shooter and said rifle.
3. Consistent ammo

If 75 yards and under is intended use all I would do is the following.
Rifle Accuracy
1. Quality after market barrel

Interface of shooter and rifle.
1. Improve trigger pull & creep
2. Proper LOP and cheek weld ( for scoped rifle a new stock or elevated check rest)

Ammo testing to find a flavor your bang stick likes. Match ammo around $4-7 dollars. Ultra match super expensive ammo not needed at these ranges.

With these improvements most 10/22’s will shoot tight groups at less than 75 yards. If you are experiencing fliers and inconsistent groups then check the tightness of your optics mounting system first.
If you are a less experienced shooter spending money on ammo at this point will yield greater results than other upgrades. 1,000s of rounds not 100’s

If you are shooting at 100yards and beyonds start with the above mentioned improvments.

Spend some time shooting at 100yards and really be sure of your ability to aim the rifle and fire the shot and follow-through cleanly. Spend money on ammo and find a mentor to provide coaching before looking to improve the rifle further. Be sure of your form.
If you are getting random fliers the most likely culprit is inconsistent ignition. The firing pin/bolt interface needs to be smoothed and lubed. Having a pin installed over the front of the firing pin helps too.

If you do not have fliers but want to tighten the group up a bit any or all of the following can help.
1. Match chamber
2. Re-crowning the barrel
3. Head spaced to same specs as bolt gun and bolt face squared.
4. Lapping the barrel
5. Improved v-block assembly or threaded barrel
6. Barrel tuner, simple rubber donut or expensive dial type
Many smiths on the hide offer these services. I have used Clark Custom Guns and Randy at CPC and highly recommend both of them.

By no means am I an expert, just thought I would share my experiences. My 10/22 was shooting scores of 210-215 at 100yds with many random fliers. After a Clark barrel, Clark trigger group, homemade cheek rest, bolt and barrel work by Randy at CPC we are now shooting 240-245.

The total cost for my 10/22 and these improvements is north of $800 not including the scope. Recently I purchased a Savage Mark II TR for $400 and have shot it side by side with my 10/22. On any given day they are within 1 - 2 points of each other. The Mark II TR is completely stock.

I have not mentioned the sighting system. Over the summer I’ve shot iron sights, expensive high magnification scopes, cheap scopes, and red dots. All with similar result except at 100plus yards where ultra precision is not attainable without some sort of optical sight.

If I was looking for affordable accuracy at 100 yards a serviceable bolt action may be the best alternative. With out a bit of work and or $ the 10/22 lacks inherent accuracy at 50 plus yards. That said I love the 10/22 and enjoy having one that is now accurate at short and long ranges..

The Clark barrel was installed last falland had been shot a fair amount. It was lapped, re-crowned, threaded, and CPC match chamber. it was part of a service package and not sure if was all needed but definatly grouped tighter at 100 yards afterwards. Would have been interesting to do test targets after each service but would have been extremely expensive to do it that way!!

I gained about 5 MOA of scope setting at 100 yards. I'm assuming that was from the threading which eliminated barrel droop.

I have built several 10/22's

Specs on the one I currently own

Green mountain 20 inch SS barrel with match chamber
Boyd Evolution Stock
Bedded
worked factory trigger group at 1.5lbs
Mueller 8.5-25 scope

These are just some of the things that can be addressed. Mine shoots great but I plan on doing a few things. I feel like the most important factor in ruger 10/22 accuracy is ammo. Mine loves CCI Select and Standard Velocity. Also, floating the barrel is of huge benefit.
If you are looking for the ultimate in accuracy look into a set up using a quantum barrel from rimfire technologies, aftermarket receiver like a kidd, kidd two stage trigger and your choice of free floating stock and bedded the receiver into it. This set up would with out a doubt deliver top notch accuracy. Then practice practice practice.

Number one by popular demand is to improve your trigger pull weight on a 10/22. Number two is to install good bedding. Our adjustable bedding system is adjustable to maximize any ammo's potential, you no longer need to try a bunch of different ammo to find something your gun likes, but to start with, the Federal Auto Match AM-22 is good, cheap practice ammo (found commonly ay Wal-Mart), then when it counts, the Wolf MT, or S&K Standard Plus (same ammo, different name) is in my mind the best ammo for the least price. Of course you need to do something to fix the factory barrel, but luckily it is actually a really high quality cold hammer forged barrel regardless of how inexpensively it is made, so it can be made to shoot amazingly well if you do not want a big heavy barrel, or there is about 100 different barrel choices for the 10/22 if you want it to be different than what the factory barrel offers. No matter what barrel you choose, our V-block gets rid of the shifting POI problem that is common on a 10/22. It is AS GOOD as if it were threaded, there will be NO difference in accuracy at that point for a small fraction of what threading would cost.
Pretty much the old recipe still is the same= Barrels, Bullets, and Bedding.