• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Improvised cheek riser for AR butt stock

wigwamitus

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
LBJ
I am trying to "accurize" my DMR-ish stoners ... a 6.5G(18) and a 5.56(18).

6.5G(18)
iazQ2Sih.jpg

==
5.56(18)
TbIYkKWh.jpg

==

Would like to improve the butt stocks:

01 - Reduce rattle
So I might try to buy one that rattles less (including a new tube to go with it and maybe a new spring etc.) and I see people talking about using electrical tape on the tube.

02 - Cheek riser
With the "rails on rails" solution I use, a cheek riser would be useful.

I see solutions like this ...

image_gl-shockcp_de_up_1_4.jpg

But this guy used some sort of either rubber or malleable plastic and probably some glue ... I'd like to try this, but don't know what the material to use is yet. Still looking.

u7b9nduh.jpg

==
Any suggestions for solutions either improvised or store bought welcome.

:)

Last edited:
LaRue Make's a "risr" for the CTR you have on the second AR, I found with Ranger band's it rattles less. Also you could always go with a Magpul PRS stock, little bit more weight to it but it has an adjustable comb.

Reactions: wigwamitus
The one you referred to with unknown material looks like one I did. I used high density foam, like a mousepad. Super simple and easy, way more comfortable than a polymer material, and you can cut it to the exact shape you want.

... The one you referred to with unknown material looks like one I did. I used high density foam, like a mousepad. Super simple and easy, way more comfortable than a polymer material, and you can cut it to the exact shape you want ...

How did it work out with the charging handle ?

I am assuming you had to run the adjutable stock to the rear to charge, which isn't the end of the world, just trying to understand the whole picture.

I found an MFT stock and riser for cheap one time and bought it just until I could afford something better. That was over 2 years ago. It works great so I’ve never needed to change it.

Thanks! What was the "something better" !!?? :)

Want to consider improvised solutions and "high end" if there is any such thing ... before deciding ...

I use tape inside the stock rather than on the buffer tube to reduce rattle. It's harder to install but it's invisible after it's on.

For DIY cheek padding I usually use "sponge rubber" sheets that I find at better hardware stores.

How did it work out with the charging handle ?

I am assuming you had to run the adjutable stock to the rear to charge, which isn't the end of the world, just trying to understand the whole picture.

It's an ACS like yours on a .308. With the stock in my shooting position, the charge handle just comes to the edge of the foam. If it's in a shorter position, the handle can still clear it but it rubs across the top of it. I used just one layer, it depends on how high you need to build up.

Magpul PRS stock or UBR (?) will have all the adjustments you are looking for. Several other brands as well. But they’re really proud of them and the price reflects it. Or get a take-off RPR stock used for cheap.

Otherwise a mouse pad or other high density foam as suggested above and some good spray adhesive will work on what you’ve already got.

I have seen electrical tape or even packing tape used to shim the stocks. It’s best to figure out what part of the stock is rattling first. Sort of frustrating to get the wiggle out of the stock to find the adjustment mechanism is what was making the noise all along.

I have the Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock, but need about another 1/4 inch to allow the riser to remain all the way down and to provide a cushioned cheek rest. The God'A Grip [godagrip.com] is a 3M adhesive backed shock absorbing material pre cut for many stocks and in various thicknesses.

I have the RISR/Magpul sititng in the box. It's a bit too tall for me. Seems it was made specifically for OBR's and their slightly higher rail. For some it isn't a prob, guess its just me. Well made though. I have the Battleiline/Magpul. Love it. Well made. I believe they said they're about to do another run on them from their FB page. You should also consider the Luth-AR. For my Grendel, I just got from Amazon a foam rubber kit for the Magpul. It fits really nice. Got the 1/4", and it places my head right where it needs to be. Search for CDS Tactical Cheek Pad Magpul or something to that effect.