• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Improvised Ejector Removal Tool

Re: Improvised Extractor Removal Tool

wait......am i missing something....i have never had a hard time getting an extractor free....
lots of thumb and index finger pressure with a firing pin and botta bing botta boom....out.

but im thinkin i am missin somethin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wait......am i missing something....i have never had a hard time getting an extractor free....
lots of thumb and index finger pressure with a firing pin and botta bing botta boom....out.

but im thinkin i am missin somethin. </div></div>

Same here! But then I have a Bushmaster and an Armalite and as they fall somewhere on the far right of the infamous AR hall of fame chart* perhaps that is why!
laugh.gif

*http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-an-m4-check-this-comparison-chart-out-first/

Same here, I just use the firing pin to push out the extractor retainer pin and it's out in a second. Never had any trouble.

Yeah, I'm thinking he meant ejector removal tool. Mistaken terminology. And it's a damned slick idea for that, too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30cal Fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same here, I just use the firing pin to push out the extractor retainer pin and it's out in a second. Never had any trouble. </div></div>

Yeah I'm not sure what's ingenious here. It's always taken me 2 seconds to remove the extractor with the firing pin.

Another shooter making solutions for problems that don't exist.

I just saw the picture and figured that is a great way to install the ejector.

Re: Improvised Ejector Removal Tool

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s4b1106</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I'm thinking he meant ejector removal tool. Mistaken terminology. And it's a damned slick idea for that, too! </div></div>

Yes, sorry. I posted this in a hurry while I was doing six other things.

I corrected it. This is for removing the EJECTOR in the face of the bolt, not the extractor. I don't have any problem removing the extractor by hand. For the ejector you need to take the pressure off and hold it in so you can remove the roll pin.

Thanks LW, they would have realized that you meant ejector the first time they went at one and didn't have the $25-$42 tool and remembered your pic that didn't make sense at the time.LOL

I took a pair of vise grips and a round jewelers file to the jaw to make a gas tube removal tool. So far works great and only cost me ten minutes and a pair of harbor freight vise grip pliers.

funny, I came up with the same thing with a small wood block with a hole in it, a 1/4" drive socket and a vise.

Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Thanks.

What's amazing here is that anyone thinks it's necessary to remove the EJECTOR.
I can't imagine anyone EVER needing to take that out.

I've witnessed hundreds of thousands of rounds fired and fired myself ten of thousands easily out of the M16 platform

Not once have I ever witnessed someone remove the ejector for any reason.
Be it broken, cleaning or anything else.

So I have to ask. What's the reason for this? Maybe I missed something

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So I have to ask. What's the reason for this? Maybe I missed something </div></div>

Getting an accurate headspace measurement before installing a new barrel.

They do also get fouled from time to time with carbon or brass shavings. Also handy to have when you replace an ejector spring which is occasionally necessary on high round count platforms. Springs don't last forever.

This isn't a process you need when cleaning a rifle. But it is required maintenance from time to time. If you are betting your life on a rifle.....why would you not replace a ten cent spring from time to time?

I understand what you mean about why not replace a ten cent spring if you need to.
But come on. Can you honestly say you have ever had or seen, or heard about one going bad? shit i haven't. You were in the marines. A branch of service with the shittiest rifles in existence with absurdly high round counts. nope, never saw an extractor or extractor spring go bad. It just doesn't happen.

Now removing it to get an accurate headspace measurement. Ok, roger that, makes sense.

I have had rifles that wouldn't eject properly causing jams. I honestly couldn't tell you what the cause was at the time because I was not an armorer and pulling the ejector was an NJP offense. I didn't even know how to do it back then.

Currently I have pulled ejector springs that were weak feeling and seen them in rusty, nasty condition. However they still worked well enough for the rifle to function.

The photo I shot here was while filming a video on how to check headspace on a new barrel with a new bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's amazing here is that anyone thinks it's necessary to remove the EJECTOR.
I can't imagine anyone EVER needing to take that out.

I've witnessed hundreds of thousands of rounds fired and fired myself ten of thousands easily out of the M16 platform

Not once have I ever witnessed someone remove the ejector for any reason.
Be it broken, cleaning or anything else.

So I have to ask. What's the reason for this? Maybe I missed something</div></div>

Checking headspace on a new mixed barrel bolt combo.

Replacing extractors on your 6.5 over-pressured bolt that fractures the extractor and requires replacement.

Its a simple DIY tip, why the hell not share it? Even if its reinventing the wheel...you do realize that extractor removal tools are sold online to the tune of $30...

It's not surprising. No matter how easy it may be to do someone out there is making money off of it selling a mostly unneeded tool.

So far any fail to eject problems I've seen have all been the extractor.

And your right. I'm glad this info is being passed around. Good on you.
What I don't like is any new guy seeing this and thinking all the sudden it's a common thing that goes wrong.