• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR 3031 for 6.5 CM?

JelliedEagle

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
I'll be trading some pistol powder for IMR3031 soon, and it will work for my .223 and .30-06 so am wondering if it will work well for 6.5CM also.. I only ask because I can't find any load data for it in my manuals or online.

it is supposed to be a pretty versatile powder for small to medium sized rifle calibers, so I'm wondering if there is a reason I can't find any load data for 6.5.

I have 123gr and 140gr bullets right now. let me know what you think. just wondering if this trade will be useful for all my rifle calibers or not. Thanks.

I saw some for sale locally today as well. Would be sweet if it’s a viable alternative to all the out of stock powders.

No it is not. It is too fast burning for the 6.5 Creedmoor.
My lyman manual has load data for .223 and .30-06, 2 calibers I'll be loading soon.. and says it is a popular small to medium size rifle powder. I know it isn't quite this simple, but if it's supposed to be versatile according to lyman, then why would it work for .30-06 and .223 but not 6.5 which is in between both of those? I'm asking because I don't know not because I'm trying to be a smarta$$

Because it’s about bullet weight of a given caliber, case volume, bore volume, and the combination of all of those as the bullet starts and proceeds down the bore which in turn changes all of those that control what powder works best. Not just that it’s between a 223 and 3006.

3031 may be alright for the 120s but I wouldn’t waste my time with it on the 140s

My lyman manual has load data for .223 and .30-06, 2 calibers I'll be loading soon.. and says it is a popular small to medium size rifle powder. I know it isn't quite this simple, but if it's supposed to be versatile according to lyman, then why would it work for .30-06 and .223 but not 6.5 which is in between both of those? I'm asking because I don't know not because I'm trying to be a smarta$$

3031 is fast burning in the 30 cals. It is way too fast for the 6.5 CM.

Like everyone is trying to tell you, no, 3031 is way too fast for the 6.5 CM. Go look at some on line loading manuals, you won't see 3031 for the 6.5 CM. Fastest powders listed for 6.5 CM is 4895 / 8208 and are for the lighter bullets.

Are you asking if it's possible to use, just because it's the only thing you have? It is by far, far from an optimal powder for the 6.5Creed. It might, just might be possible to load a 90grn or 100grn bullet and use like 40grn of powder. The results are not going to be good... But I mean, it'll go bang and probably won't blow up your gun. You'd mostly be wasting your time and your barrel though.

If it was TEOTWAWKI and 3031 was all you scavenged from someones garage, I guess give it a shot, but try to get your hands on some RL15, RL17, H4350 or a bunch of others first...

What weight bullet?
120 or 123 grain?
Or a 140 grain?
Quickloads says only the 120/123 grain will work with IMR3031 in a 6.5 CM at a max of 39 grains of IMR3031
39 grains is MAX!
Start out lower than that!

I run the 123 ELD in a 6.5CM at 2.75 COAL, but I use RL16 (the same powder I use when shooting the 140 ELDs)
And the velocity is crankin' with a 24" barrel...
and in my 30" 6.5 it is at 3100 fps with the 123 ELD and RL16

BUT...If you are planning on running the IMR3031 in an AR 6.5CM, I wouldn't do it...

you will more than likely run into problems with the powder in the freshly fed casing heating upon rapid fire scenarios. This will cause your velocities in each shot in progression to increase, and therefore the accuracy wil be greatly affected...as the bullets "climb the ladder" on the target.

IMR3031 is not as temp stable as H4350, RL16, H4895 and Varget

There have been many powder dumps of H4350 over the last several months... keep your eye out for that.

Last edited:
please post your data if you do shoot with it . best of luck

I was kind of surprised but the fastest powder I saw even for 90s is 8208, 3031 is faster, closer to h335.