• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR 4064 Lapua Brass behind a 168gr Amax?

AustinTXMarine

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
Anyone tried this yet? I have checked the receipies but I have not seen many people do it, especially in a 24" FN SPR (1 in 12).

I made a mistake of switching powders but did not switch to 175SMKs. Am I looking at pulling a bunch of bullets?

Anyone give confirmation that I should be OK (any data you may have would be great too) with any of the below:

<span style="font-weight: bold">41.5</span> gr 4064, 2.805 COAL, GM210M primers, Lapua brass
<span style="font-weight: bold">42.5</span> gr 4064, 2.805 COAL, GM210M primers, Lapua brass
<span style="font-weight: bold">43.5</span> gr 4064, 2.805 COAL, GM210M primers, Lapua brass

Re: IMR 4064 Lapua Brass behind a 168gr Amax?

They will fire fine. They are near starting loads for the 168 grain bullet with that powder. They won't run very fast, but should function and shoot fine.

Thanks Chad, saved me a bunch of time...

I found that they were fine with the 168 SMKs but I can't find anything on the AMAX. Is it safe to say that the 168s will run about the same if you are talking about SMK vs Amax as posted in another thread?

Thats pretty much the load I use in my FN-SPR-A2
Lapua brass
43.5 IMR-4064
168 Nosler Custom Comp Bullet
BR-2 or 210m primers
2.805 OAL
consistantly gives me 3/4" or less 10 shot groups@ 100yrds.

Well then, Oldreliable, I may have just accidentally found something that may work. Thanks for the details, 3/4 on a 10 shot group is not bad at all.

I will work these into the range and post the receipe and results once I am finished building out the new accidental charge.

Honestly.

I have run the 168 Amax, Sierra matchking, Nosler 168 all with 4064 with Lapua and Nosler brass.

I have never noticed a difference in accuracy or pressure with the same amount of 4064 through my Patroit Arms or HS precision rifles.

when changing any of the components of course always check for pressure signs especially with different guns.

I load 44 grs IMR 4064 with 168 and 175 grain SMK bullets. F210 match. Laupa 173 grain cases. I load them 30 times and throw them away. I do not seat them quite so deep, so that would put me about Identical to your load. This the the most accurate load in most .308's I have shot. Never found anything to compare to it. Shoots .25 min out to 800 yd. In two rifles for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I load 44 grs IMR 4064 with 168 and 175 grain SMK bullets. F210 match. Laupa 173 grain cases. I load them 30 times and throw them away. I do not seat them quite so deep, so that would put me about Identical to your load. This the the most accurate load in most .308's I have shot. Never found anything to compare to it. Shoots .25 min out to 800 yd. In two rifles for sure. </div></div>

You run the same powder load for both? What kind of MVs are you getting for each?

Reaper,
I actually load 44 grs IMR 4064 for everything from 155 Palma to 175 SMK. With a 10" drop tube and weighed charges (Charge Master) the powder comes up to just past the base of the neck. I put a bit of pressure on it but do not crush it. I would not do this with a 2.8 OAL. Mine run just a bit over 3". I will check velocity in the field book for the various rifles. I shoot mostly 168 SMK. I will use only 175's when the last of the 168's are gone, but that will be about 25,000 bullets from now. I do shoot some 175's and like them. Certainly past 700 yards. Barrel length varies from 22"-27". I will post velocities soon.

That is a max load in my rifle, I start to get a really gold ring around my brass when I start to get close to 43 grains with that set up, also I really have to mussel the bolt to open it. I use federal brass though, I dont know it they hold more powder or not.

Reaper,
I checked my notes last night on several .308's. The first thing I noticed is how little chronographing I do anymore. Not much use as I am not changing loads. When I do crono, I am doing to check SD and ES not really checking to see how fast it is going.
Anyway, with barrels from 22-27" I get from 2610 to 2880 with these bullets. Barrel length and presence or absence of a can will account for about 100 fps of the spread and the 175's average about 50 fps slower with the same load, on average. Temp changes from 0 to 90+ degrees also account for a good bit of it. I do a lot of cold weather shooting. I base my safe loads on brass flow, so when the primer pockets are still fairly tight after 30 loadings, and the bolt opens "normally" I know I am fine. That Lapua brass has a bit less capacity than some others, but will really stand up to the pressure over the long haul.
I am not even sure why I change brass after 30 loading/firing cycles. It is still usable. Hope that answers your queston.