• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR 8208 with 175 SMK

lrgrendel

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 6, 2012
Sanford. FL
Hey guys

Just bought 8 lbs of IMR 8208. Never used it before in my 308 using 175 SMK. Only Varget and IMR 4064.
Have 500 of the 175's and the powder became available so bought it!!

Any info would be great.

I've been working up loads with the same combination. Did preliminary load testing and 41.3 grains looks promising for me. I loaded 50 rounds with that charge weight and will do some more testing sometime in the near future. By the way, I'm talking about .308 Win.

I love this powder, its very consistant in .308 and .223. It flows like water through the measure.

41.1 grains with a 168 SMK is very good accuracy for my M700.

I've been working up loads with the same combination. Did preliminary load testing and 41.3 grains looks promising for me. I loaded 50 rounds with that charge weight and will do some more testing sometime in the near future. By the way, I'm talking about .308 Win.

I love this powder, its very consistant in .308 and .223. It flows like water through the measure.

41.1 grains with a 168 SMK is very good accuracy for my M700.

Hey

Did you happen to put a chronograph on the 175's during your testing?
Thanks

No, but the tables indicate that the load is around 2500 fps or maybe a just a little more.

For my Savage 10PC with a 20" barrel, Im using 40.8gr of 8208XBR to fire the 175 SMK at an average of 2,606 fps. This is at an elevation of 3900 ft, 85 degrees F and a humidity of 29.98. Hope this helps

FOR the OP... Are you using the XBR or the standard? I would have figured 8208 in either version would have been too fast for .308 with 175s. It's suppose to be a great powder for 6mm BR and I though about using it for other stuff so this will be interesting to see how it pans out for you.

I have used this before, 41.4 with the 168. Shot really good, but,,,,

It worked well when it was cool, but if it was hot out I would have a heavy bolt. When I bought this powder, I was told it would be steady regardless of what it was outside. That has not been the case for me.

YMMV

FOR the OP... Are you using the XBR or the standard? I would have figured 8208 in either version would have been too fast for .308 with 175s. It's suppose to be a great powder for 6mm BR and I though about using it for other stuff so this will be interesting to see how it pans out for you.

It is IMR 8208 XBR.
I have just started using this with a 6.5 Grendel and it looks promising.

I have used this before, 41.4 with the 168. Shot really good, but,,,,

It worked well when it was cool, but if it was hot out I would have a heavy bolt. When I bought this powder, I was told it would be steady regardless of what it was outside. That has not been the case for me.

YMMV

Hey
I live in central Florida where the temperatures are pretty much the same year round.
What were the temperature differences between being cool and hot?

Thanks

Hey
I live in central Florida where the temperatures are pretty much the same year round.
What were the temperature differences between being cool and hot?

Thanks

80-90 on the warm side. But in the 40-60 or cooler it was fine. Loads good and shoots good, but I use something else if it is hot out.

If you read about the powder, the velocity change was negligible between 0-140 degrees Fahrenheit.

Sent from GS3 Synergy

Just scored 2lbs today! Traded some .22lr's for it....:D
I'm planning on developing a load this week sometime I'll report back afterwards.

I too was under the impression it was a temperature stable powder. I'd be interested to hear other peoples experience with it.

Hoping to hear more from other users. Since varget is hard to find I may switch to this but I'm just reluctant to pick up too much and screw myself if it doesn't work and no way of getting rid of it.

It's a great powder. Good for a lot of stuff. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from GS3 Synergy