• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

IMR 8208-XBR anyone using this?

ar-don71

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2011
Bremerton Wa
I picked up a couple pounds of this a few weeks ago to load in my 308.
so far i'm very impressed.group size looks better then my loads using varget or n150, with 155.5,168,and 175s.
velocity is higher too but untill i buy a new crono i dont know for sure.
i do know that my max varget load with 168mk would do 2600fps out of my 20" barrel.with the 8208xbr the 168s hit 1.5moa higher at 600yd.the pressure looks good also.
so far i've not gone over the max load in the hodgdon book.
the powder seems to meter a little better thru the powder measure.
so far i not see any down side other than availability .

Re: IMR 8208-XBR anyone using this?

I have been playing with it using 155gr Scenars out of a 21" 5R and it has been looking good. It is almost like ball powder through the measure, no headaches there.

I've been running this in my AR with great results. Meters well thru my LNL progressive. Here's a 5 shot group during load dev.

Arload2.jpg

Load Data:
Win brass sorted within 1 grain
CCI 400
77 SMK's
2.26 OAL
I tried between 22.8 - 23.3 and 23.9 - 24.5 in .1 increments and only 1 loads was > 1 MOA
24.2 I started getting ejector marks
Just started with the 308 and it's looks like it's gonna be a winner too.

I have tested it quite a bit in 308 with 155 Sceners, and a couple different bullets in 168 weights. I have a load that I am happy with for 155 Sceners. I did get better accuracy in the 155, but slightly less accurate than Varget for my rifle in 168. Velocity is about equal between it and Varget. Have shot it for the last 9 months here in Vegas, so it has seen temps from 25-115 F. No change.

IMO it is about the same as Varget, so if you don't get a good combo of speed and accuracy with Varget try out 8208.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We interviewed Chris Hodgdon of Hodgdon Powder Co. and learned some important information about the IMR’s new 8208 XBR powder. First Chris confirmed that ADI (Australian Defense Industries Ltd.) is the manufacturer. The powder is a very small extruded powder, similar to H322 in kernel size. That means it packs densely in a case and meters well in manual powder measures. As to burn rate, Chris stated that IMR 8208 XBR is “a tad slower than H4895.” Chris confirmed that the powder’s distinctive qualities are temp stability in an ultra-wide temperature range and a very broad accuracy window. Chris said: “Jim Carmichael found he could go up and down [significantly] in his charge weight and the group size didn’t vary.”</div></div>

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/10/imr-8208-xbr-load-data-available-online/

I've thought about getting a pound or 2 to play with.. I've seen some reports of guys getting exceptional velocities out of it with 155's in 308. I'll give it a whirl one of these days...

I just got in 16lbs. I use it through a Dillon 550 with 155 scenars to very good effect in several different .308s, both bolt and gas. Very encouraging numbers over Oehler in barrel lengths from 16-26" both for velocity and more importantly, SD. I don't think it is more accurate, necessarily, than a pet load of Varget, RL 15, or H4895, but it meters a great deal better and consequently superior for thrown charges. It does in fact have a very wide and forgiving accuracy window, another big plus for thrown charges. Haven't had opportunity to try it in temps above 50 degrees but very consistent in everything colder. In my case as I primarily shoot other calibers as dedicated 1k and beyond rounds, this powder and the use of a Dillon allows me to produce really good ammunition that works in a number of different rifles. Its really excellent in .308, especially with the 155s.
Best,
James

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As to burn rate, Chris stated that IMR 8208 XBR is “a tad slower than H4895.”</div></div>

But on their Burn Rate Chart it shows:

Higher number being slower

85 - IMR, Co IMR 8208 XBR
87 - Hodgdon H4895
89 - IMR, Co IMR 4895

It's very close to N135, which is great in PPC cartridges. This is a little fast for 308 Win with 175 bullets. It works but there are better choices when it comes to heavier bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hntbambi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Higher number being slower

85 - IMR, Co IMR 8208 XBR
87 - Hodgdon H4895
89 - IMR, Co IMR 4895

It's very close to N135, which is great in PPC cartridges. This is a little fast for 308 Win with 175 bullets. It works but there are better choices when it comes to heavier bullets.
</div></div>

Yeah, I saw that, which is why I originally avoided it. However the above post claiming success in 223 Remington with 77 grain pills has me thinking about trying it.

I'm running 80 grain SMKs in 223 Remington out of a short, 18" barrel. H4895 is just a bit too fast for me (poor fill density) and Varget is just a bit too slow (poor velocity). If this stuff truly burns between those two powders, I might have a good combination. I've been trying to avoid Viht powders due to cost, availability, and reports of poor temp stability.

I have been playing with the stuff since last summer in my 308's, haven't tried it in the 223 yet... What I have seen in the 308 makes me believe it is a good powder but not as fast velocity wise as varget.

Why I say this is with 155, 168 & 175's I can reach a higher velocity/accuracy node without pressure using varget but with 8208 the highest node is ~40fps slower (175's). If I go higher looking for the next node I'm get pressure signs. There is likely more at play here but this is what I’ve seen with my 20" rem tactical and a rock creek custom barrel @ 21.75" long. Maybe barrel length plays a part in it. But for longer barrels, in my mind a fast powder should peak quicker meaning that in a longer barrel varget (slower) should be even faster.

I will say this, it does turn in nice groups and I have not seen velocity swings going from 30-90 degrees which is one of the reasons I made a load with it for 155 Scenars for use on the range and hunting fields. The rock barrel is good for 2870ish I have not ran varget with that bullet in that barrel yet. My tactical gave me about ~20fps faster with varget.

Thought's?

I m sitting here right now, loading 8208. Getting ready to go to Rifles Only in the morning for their 6 day rifle class. This has become my go to powder! Last weekend I shot a 1 inch, 50 shot group at 100 yards. My extreme for 50 shots was 14 and SD was 8. Last summer I loaded it my 22-250, 223 and 308 for dog hunt in colorado. Used 8208 in all three. Was 105 degrees and no pressur problems. Ran into a deal a couple of months ago, A local guy wanted to sell 48 lbs. I gave him 580.00 for all 6 kegs! By the way, the group last weekend was with 175 SMK's.

well i went out and did a few more load tests this mornning.

all groups shot at 200yd with a tikka t3 scout(20" barrel) using bipod and rear bag.all are 5 shots.

first up is 175mk with 42.5g of 8208 in win brass br-2 primers
.785"
DSC_0592.jpg

next is the same load ,i pulled a shot 4 of them measure .65"
DSC_0594.jpg

the last were 168mk with 43.3g of 8208 win brass br-2 primers
.890"
DSC_0593.jpg