• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In Case You’ve Forgotten About The Wall

Awesome
As I've posted before, I wrote a letter to President Trump telling him that I am a retired operating engineer and would work for free on the wall project.
I also stated that I would be self sufficient and pay my own way.
Fuck the interlopers and any other asshole that wishes to do us harm.
I've enjoyed a good life here and I'm willing to give back.
It's called "Backing that Ass Up"

I particularly like how they are building their sections of the wall much quicker and for much less than the government. Not that that should surprise anyone. To make it a lot more satisfying, they are building this quickly and cheaply in areas where the Army Corps of Engineers has said the terrain makes building wall sections impossible.

Most people don't realize that the Army CoE is not really military for the most part is is made up of a bunch of bureaucrats and some engineering types that can't (or don't want to) make it in the private sector. In my forty years in commercial construction, most of which was design/build, I can tell you that for the most part all they are, are red tape generators and inept administrators. As always, I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule but I never met one.
Flame away.

Most people don't realize that the Army CoE is not really military for the most part is is made up of a bunch of bureaucrats and some engineering types that can't (or don't want to) make it in the private sector. In my forty years in commercial construction, most of which was design/build, I can tell you that for the most part all they are, are red tape generators and inept administrators. As always, I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule but I never met one.
Flame away.
Same with a lot of government labs. If I hear my Civil Servant neighbor complain about "contractors" again I'm going to have to say it: "So, they are so bad, why don't you try your hand working in a competitive environment where the work you do either wins the contract that will employ hundreds or thousands of people or you lose and people are laid off. You're obviously so much smarter than a 'contractor employee' you should be CEO of I don't know...Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Rockwell Collins (or whatever their name is now)." Not something where...yeah, I'm "working from home..wink wink" but actually painting stuff in the front yard and playing with my kids.

Awesome
As I've posted before, I wrote a letter to President Trump telling him that I am a retired operating engineer and would work for free on the wall project.
I also stated that I would be self sufficient and pay my own way.
Fuck the interlopers and any other asshole that wishes to do us harm.
I've enjoyed a good life here and I'm willing to give back.
It's called "Backing that Ass Up"

Can you elaborate on what an operating engineer is?

R1-04123-018A.jpg

thats very interesting. i looked that there are several operating locals in Texas. I am extremely surprised the Texas Board of Professional Engineers allows them to operate in Texas using the term "engineer". very interesting.
You should do a little digging into our history before you like us to a bunch of hillbilly bulldozer guys.
We've built this country,period.
My local paid for my entire BA with the exception of $600.
Besides,where else can ANYONE regardless of skin color,age or what not obtain a good job after a 4 year apprenticeship making $35 an hour plus benefits?
However there is one catch to the above statement, if after the 4 years of learning the person doesn't perfect the craft you're gone if not before.

Reactions: lash
You should do a little digging into our history before you like us to a bunch of hillbilly bulldozer guys.
We've built this country,period.
My local paid for my entire BA with the exception of $600.
Besides,where else can ANYONE regardless of skin color,age or what not obtain a good job after a 4 year apprenticeship making $35 an hour plus benefits?
However there is one catch to the above statement, if after the 4 years of learning the person doesn't perfect the craft you're gone if not before.

At no point did I say or imply that. My point is that in Texas, engineer is a legally protected title by state law. If is unlawful to use the title if not practicing engineering as a registered firm and with Registered Professional Engineers.

There may be exceptions for this kind of trade union in the regulations, that's why I said it's interesting.

Well, that’s interesting. A real closed shop kind of mentality huh? Pay up your professional dues or you don’t get to use a title. So, even if I have an engineering degree and am a practicing engineer, unless I pay their dues, I get sued? Sounds pretty elitist to me.

At no point did I say or imply that. My point is that in Texas, engineer is a legally protected title by state law. If is unlawful to use the title if not practicing engineering as a registered firm and with Registered Professional Engineers.

There may be exceptions for this kind of trade union in the regulations, that's why I said it's interesting.
For the longest time in TX you didn't have to pass an exam to get your PE. It was based on recommendation of your "mentor" and how many years of experience you had. This was always a bone of contention between a few of my relatives - one passed the PE exam, the other just got the TX recommendation.

Well, that’s interesting. A real closed shop kind of mentality huh? Pay up your professional dues or you don’t get to use a title. So, even if I have an engineering degree and am a practicing engineer, unless I pay their dues, I get sued? Sounds pretty elitist to me.

Yeah that's not the real reason. It goes back to the New London School explosion accident that happened, that necessitated the need for licensed engineers in Texas. Almost every state has engineering licensing requirements. At minimum it's 4 year accredited B.S. , then 4 years practicing under a licensed engineer, then pass the Principal's and Practices test.

It's a public safety issue so Joe Blow "engineer" can't come in and construct dangerous sewer/water systems, subpart levees, roofs that can't withstand the wind load, etc.

You should see what it takes to get registered in Louisiana, Katrina has influenced that and rightfully so.

Yeah that's not the real reason. It goes back to the New London School explosion accident that happened, that necessitated the need for licensed engineers in Texas. Almost every state has engineering licensing requirements. At minimum it's 4 year accredited B.S. , then 4 years practicing under a licensed engineer, then pass the Principal's and Practices test.

It's a public safety issue so Joe Blow "engineer" can't come in and construct dangerous sewer/water systems, subpart levees, roofs that can't withstand the wind load, etc.

You should see what it takes to get registered in Louisiana, Katrina has influenced that and rightfully so.
We've been around a lot longer than you have.
Just to give you an idea since you must be an engineer, what is the purpose of the dial in our logo?

For the longest time in TX you didn't have to pass an exam to get your PE. It was based on recommendation of your "mentor" and how many years of experience you had. This was always a bone of contention between a few of my relatives - one passed the PE exam, the other just got the TX recommendation.

Now the bad part is if you haven't passed the exam, and were grandfathered in, you can't get licensed in other states.

Forgotten people.

The “yay Trump!” messages set in the concrete of the wall they had to build themselves because Donny hasn’t done shit about it in 4yrs sure feels like some kind of Stockholm syndrome 🙄

The issue with this whole discussion has to do with PEs and not just the term “engineer”. It’s actually a mighty big difference and one that PEs like to ignore, since they think they have a lick on what it is to be an engineer. Let’s not forget that there is and was a whole lot more real engineering going on in this world than just the construction of infrastructure.

That’s were my comment came from. I happen to be an automotive engineer and could give two craps about your PE designation. I don’t want you designing vehicles until I can see your experience and knowledge first hand.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Well, I know more than a few PE's that couldn't find their way out of a box. PE is primarily now for Civil Engineering and some Mechanical/Electrical folk doing building design work and such. Most engineers I know and work with don't have a PE and could run circles around just about any PE I personally know. At the same time, I understand why it exists when consulting work is done, etc.

In aerospace, I'd wager > 75% of folks don't have a PE, maybe as high as 90%. I took the EIT and that's as far as I went. Should have taken PE within 4 years being out, but doing the type of work I do, PE is not needed at all. Just a bit of fluff, if that.

Many years ago, I worked as a machinist. The drawings for what to be made were delivered to me by the 'engineers' upstairs.

I think it was part of their 'diet and exercise' program, for the amount of times they had to go up and down those stairs to see me, go back and do their revisions/changes/corrections and whatnot.

I also used to comment that they were paid "by the mile" as opposed to the rest of us whom were paid "by the hour". But that's another story. :D

So what do you call the guy operating a locomotive, pulling 20,000 tons of freight?

Reactions: Zeroit
Forgotten people.

The “yay Trump!” messages set in the concrete of the wall they had to build themselves because Donny hasn’t done shit about it in 4yrs sure feels like some kind of Stockholm syndrome 🙄
Sounds like a personal problem as a never trumper trumpet. Can’t help you there.

According to the border patrol tracking map, there is now about 275 miles of new border wall completed as of August 10th.

Does anyone else think that maybe more progress could have been made if every step of the way, he hadn’t been fought by Pelosi, the press, Democrats, activist judges and never trumpets? Not to mention the continuing soft coup attempts and other major distractions.

Just checking.

The issue with this whole discussion has to do with PEs and not just the term “engineer”. It’s actually a mighty big difference and one that PEs like to ignore, since they think they have a lick on what it is to be an engineer. Let’s not forget that there is and was a whole lot more real engineering going on in this world than just the construction of infrastructure.

That’s were my comment came from. I happen to be an automotive engineer and could give two craps about your PE designation. I don’t want you designing vehicles until I can see your experience and knowledge first hand.

And that's fine. Any engineer should be only practicing in the field they are proficient. It has to do with legal liability. A professional engineer is liable to be sued for 10 years after the design is constructed, and is typically required to hold significant E&O insurance. There are a lot of fields where engineering is practiced with no license. Many electrical engineers and chemical, as well. Depends on who you're doing work for.

My point was, that in certain states the title "engineer" has specific and legal connotations attached to it.

This thread was high jacked over an argument concerning the application of the term engineer. I might as well chime in - I am a chemist and vehemently dislike chemical engineers.

Does anyone else think that maybe more progress could have been made if every step of the way, he hadn’t been fought by Pelosi, the press, Democrats, activist judges and never trumpets? Not to mention the continuing soft coup attempts and other major distractions.

Just checking.

Yeah, definitely me and Pelosi are the reason there’s 14% of a wall and not incompetent management abilities and watching 8hrs of tv every day on behalf of the guy who promised it 😂

But hey, call it 3yrs and 15% — only 17yrs left to go. I wonder how much of that Mexico will end up paying for?

Admittedly I’m very much a never trumper but I love what those people are doing given that our govt has abandoned them (through willfulness on the D side and ineptitude on the R side). But it’s still weird to me that after that they turn around and thank the con man for conning them after they’ve done the work themselves. That’s the Stockholm syndrome I’m talking about.

Do you realize you sound like a millennial fuck stick? And this is coming from a retired engineer(40+ years in commercial construction). Oh sorry, never got my PE stamp, just was in charge of a herd of them. Sounds like you know nothing about the building trades.

Last edited:
Forgotten people.

this is a pretty reliable web site for what’s going on with the border wall. You Might be surprised.

Do you realize you sound like a millennial fuck stick? And this is coming from a retired engineer(40+ years in commercial construction). Oh sorry, never got my PE stamp, just was in charge of a herd of them. Sounds like you know nothing about the building trades.

You're overly sensitive about me stating some facts and your calling me a millennial fuck stick? Pot calling the kettle black. Take a look around at whose getting offended and it ain't me

this is a pretty reliable web site for what’s going on with the border wall. You Might be surprised.
Yeah thanks. I already posted a link to that site for our friend in denial. Those that are in denial do not wish to see that which proves them wrong.

Last edited:
The term dates back to when machinery was steam powered. As in a someone who operates steam engines. (not the railroad kind) This was was subdivided into people that ran hoisting and portable equipment, such as cranes, winches, (steam)shovels pile drivers, road rollers, etc. There are also operating engineers that run stationary plant equipment in large buildings etc.

Yeah thanks. I already posted a link to that site for our friend in denial. Those that are in denial do not wish to see that which proves them wrong.
I seen your post after I had already replied. Hopefully they look at the information and reconsider their position.