• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In need of new set of binos

DeadNoise

Legend
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2008
Nevada
what is everybody having good luck with so far on binos? Leupy? Vortex? Mine got pretty hammered last year so I'm gonna buy a new set this year.

Can't speak for the Vortex since I have never had the opportunity to use them. Have a set of Swaro 10x42 SLC's for a number of years now and they are excellent. Use them mostly for hunting and work very well in low light conditions.

I just picked up a new set of Vortex Viper 10x42 HDs as a possible replacement for my Minox BL 10x44s and while the Vortex is good, to my eyes (and I've been comparing the two in a variety of conditions), it's not that much better than the Minox. You may want to check out the new Minox BL HDs, which are a bit less expensive than the Vortex Vipers.

I love my Steiner peregrine 10x44's.
My buddy has a nice set of the Vortex's. Not sure which model but they are the high end ones in 12x. Too much mag for me, but they are pretty damn nice.

I'd look for a pair of Zeiss Classics 10x40, there are a few on eBay that look like new for under 800.00. FWIW, I have a few others that collect dust like Swaro EL's and Leica Ultravids, I bought them thinking they should be better but for me it wasn't so.

Im using a set of leica geovids 10*42 for hunting as it cuts down on the need to carry both a lrf and binos.The binos and glass are excellent but the lrf is beginning to disappoint me .They are perfect out to 600m but after that they are hit and miss as to whether you get a reading back .The laser is just not as good as it should be.Under ideal conditions at evening time Iv lazed out to 1140m though.

You don't mention being equipped with a reticle, so I'm assuming that's a "no".

I recommend a set of Germany made Zeiss Conquest HD, available at a hefty demo discount from [MENTION=7151]gr8fuldoug[/MENTION] of CameralandNY: Zeiss Demo & Sample Gear - Camera Land NY

The clarity of the Zeiss HD is the best I've found available for under $1000. Very easy on the eyes, colors are incredible, focus is easy and precise including very close, and they have a great warranty as well. I have the 8x32 for backpacking and plan on getting a 10x42 set for the house and vehicle outings.

If you're talking something handheld, I don't understand why the Canon image stabilized binocs never seem to get mentioned. The difference in picture is phenomenal when the shake is eliminated.

Have been using the Zeiss 8X42 T FL for a few years now and still really like them. That being said while at a match last year Scott from Vortex was on my squad and had a set of the Vortex Razors in 8X42 as I recall. Asked if I could look through them and when he saw my Zeiss said "I think you'll be surprised", well I was, the colors popped a little brighter, the white targets presented themselves against the light colored grass background better, they were a bit smaller and lighter also.

A good friend of mine wanted a pair of the Zeiss after looking through mine, I talked him into the Razor's, we're still good friends and he really likes his bino's.

I recommend a set of Germany made Zeiss Conquest HD, available at a hefty demo discount from @gr8fuldoug of CameralandNY: Zeiss Demo & Sample Gear - Camera Land NY

The clarity of the Zeiss HD is the best I've found available for under $1000. Very easy on the eyes, colors are incredible, focus is easy and precise including very close, and they have a great warranty as well. I have the 8x32 for backpacking and plan on getting a 10x42 set for the house and vehicle outings.

+1

I bought a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 last year and I couldn't be more satisfied. I have compared them with Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski binocs that cost 1.5 to 3x as much and cannot see what the reason would be for spending the extra money over getting the Conquest HD's.

I would like to pick up a pair of the smaller 8x42 model for bowhunting and other times that a slightly smaller/lighter package would be appreciated.

I'm looking forward to a new set of Kahles 10x42s... Might look that route?

Get the Canon image stabilized 10x42 L IS binoculars. Once you use these, you will never want regular binoculars again. They are so completely superior to standard binoculars, it is beyond description.

It is like comparing a flintlock to a Colt AR15.

If you are using a tripod, get a spotting scope. Binoculars are meant to be handheld. Normal human shake negates the wonderful glass on those $3000 Swarovskis.

The Canon 10X42 IS blow the Swarovski away for handheld use. No shake. None. You can focus on the object you want to view instead of fighting your binoculars.

P.S. Be careful of advice from people trying to sell you something.

Last edited:
what is everybody having good luck with so far on binos? Leupy? Vortex? Mine got pretty hammered last year so I'm gonna buy a new set this year.

Price range?

If I was spending under 1k, the Meopta Meopro 10x42 is a really good buy right now. Great low light performance. I would also look at the Meostar 10x42 HD.
Meopta Meopro Binocular Sale Meopta Binoculars

If i was in the 1000 - 2000 range the Swarovski SLC's.
Swarovski SLC Binocular Sale Swarovski SLC Binoculars

If I was in the over 2k range, the Swarovski EL's are the tits.
Swarovski EL Binocular Sale Swarovski EL Binoculars

Give us a call. We'll get you set up with some great pricing.

Vortex is worth every penny . If you want a high end range finding bino I would go with the Swarovski over the new leicas I have a pair of HDBs and they have some bugs with the software they need to work out

If you are using a tripod, get a spotting scope. Binoculars are meant to be handheld. Normal human shake negates the wonderful glass on those $3000 Swarovskis.

The Canon 10X42 IS blow the Swarovski away for handheld use. No shake. None. You can focus on the object you want to view instead of fighting your binoculars.

What are you selling?
I see you have been a "member" since 2003 but all 11 of your posts have been in the last month and 10 of those are pushing
the Canon binos.

I'm not selling anything, but I think anyone who has tried the Canons will enthusiastically "push" them. They are that good. Unfortunately, not many have actually tried them, which is surprising considering how many people are willing to spend $1-3000 on binocs. I'm just glad I have a family member who lets me use his until I can afford my own...

What's the weight on the cannons ?
As for me I most always have a tripod so that really never has been a issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using tripods for binocular use for over 4 years now...observing vast country for long periods of time without eye or arm fatigue, seeing game that most people never see using a handheld binocular or spotting scopes. Once I see the ear, antler tip, color or movement at 50 to 2000+ yards with my Swarovski 15x56 HD's, then I switch to my 95mm Swaro spotter for detail work. My friends here in Wyoming seem to like these methods as well, we spot/stalk/shoot/butcher from September through January. Total game changing technique for me and others who are willing to try something different.

Last edited:
What are you selling?
I see you have been a "member" since 2003 but all 11 of your posts have been in the last month and 10 of those are pushing
the Canon binos.

Do you see a link to a website in my signature? You don't. Not selling anything. I am advocating superior technology to people brainwashed into thinking they can actually hand hold binoculars good enough to take advantage of their $3000 optics.

The IS binos are so ridiculously superior, it is hilarious. Like the other poster said. People don't know what they are missing. They make every other binocular obsolete.

Just watched the Swarovski promo. Didn't see a tripod. Why? Because binoculars are primarily hand held devices. Lugging a silly tripod around to make old school binos work actually proves my point.

The Canon weighs 37oz. It better have a stabilized image to prevent shake.
I am glad you like them. I will continue to slum my "conventional" glass.

Sure, it weighs 37 ounces. That is less than a pair of binoculars + a tripod. Much faster to use and easier to carry. Dragging out a tripod every time you want to sit down and look through your binoculars would get old fast. If you want to stand and use your binoculars, do you carry a tall tripod too? That's two tripods. What about if you want to look up in the sky at birds?

Last edited:
Who is strapping a 10x bino to a tripod? Can understand using a tripod with the 12x and higher mag glass.
I use a harness that affords me a very solid "rest" when glassing . Or I may sit on my ass on the edge of a canyon and support up with knees and elbows. It isn't that hard and I use a pair of 10x45 as my primary glass.

I got a pair of Steiner 10X42 Tactical binos last week at the Hide Cup. They have them with and without the ranging ret. Street price of the non ranging is $500.

T42 Tactical 10x42 | Tactical Binoculars | Steiner Optics

Steiner was a key sponsor at the SH Cup last week. I'm not a believer in spending over $800 for a set of binos. I'm kind of rough on this kind of stuff so I don't like spending a ton on them. These Steiner's are very nice optics, are rapped in rubber, have multi position eyepeice that woks great with or without glasses on. If you set the eyepieces close in you don't need to take off your sunglasses to view - the eye relief is just right pressed up against them - a little detail but in reality a big plus.

Last edited:
According to the site you referenced, the listed weight is 2.35lbs...which equals 37.6oz. That is 40-50% more than what a pair of "standard" 10x42 binocs weigh and the one's you referenced are 10x30.

Jesus Christ dude, thats shipping weight, let me help you, look at the amazon link and click "show more"

Canon website
Canon 10 x 30 IS Binoculars | Canon Online Store

Main Unit Specs

Type Prism Binoculars
Magnification 10x
Objective Lens Effective Diameter 30mm
Real Field of View 6°
Apparent Field Of View 60°
Objective Lens Construction 2 elements in 1 group
Eyepiece Lens Construction 5 elements in 4 groups
Exit Pupil Diameter 3mm
Eye Relief 14.5mm
Eye Width Adjustment 55mm ~ 75mm
Focusing Method Manual focusing by turning the focusing knob
Closest Focusing Distance 4.2 m/13.8 ft
Image Stabilizer Vari-Angle Prism
Correction Angle ±1.0°
Power Source 2 x AA
Dimensions 150 x 127 x 70mm/5.0 x 5.9 x 2.8 in.
!!!!!!Weight 630g/22 oz. (excluding batteries)!!!! <--------LOOK HERE!!!

Last edited:
Rhutch have you ever looked through a pair of IS binos? Yes or no

The whole point is you don't have to be setting or looking for a rest....you can glass while walking, standing on windy days, out of a moving truck etc.

Regular top of the line $2500 binos= VHS
IS binos = DVR

It's really simple.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ dude, thats shipping weight, let me help you, look at the amazon link and click "show more"

Canon website
Canon 10 x 30 IS Binoculars | Canon Online Store

Main Unit Specs

Type Prism Binoculars
Magnification 10x
Objective Lens Effective Diameter 30mm
Real Field of View 6°
Apparent Field Of View 60°
Objective Lens Construction 2 elements in 1 group
Eyepiece Lens Construction 5 elements in 4 groups
Exit Pupil Diameter 3mm
Eye Relief 14.5mm
Eye Width Adjustment 55mm ~ 75mm
Focusing Method Manual focusing by turning the focusing knob
Closest Focusing Distance 4.2 m/13.8 ft
Image Stabilizer Vari-Angle Prism
Correction Angle ±1.0°
Power Source 2 x AA
Dimensions 150 x 127 x 70mm/5.0 x 5.9 x 2.8 in.
!!!!!!Weight 630g/22 oz. (excluding batteries)!!!! <--------LOOK HERE!!!

Lighten up Francis...I did click on your link and scrolled down. Under "Technical Details" it states 2.35lbs. Just below that, under "Product Details" it states that the shipping weight is 3lbs. I overlooked where it said "Product Dimensions: 2.8 x 5 x 5.9 inches ; 1.4 pounds"

I apologize for not looking further.

I'm sorry you got your panties in a knot. You dudes pushing these IS binocs sure are feisty.

No I have not and probably won't unless they put a laser in them. What I use works for me.
I'm not knocking them. They may be fucking fanfuckingtastic. I just take issue with ANYFUCKINGBODY that claims anything is the best in the world....sorta like the IOR guy of months past. There are no absolutes or one-size-fits-all.

This why I and others are sold on the extended glassing techniques I described above. Hours of glassing. Find them, watch other hunters on horseback ride right past them...make a plan, execute same, go home with a bloody knife.

Just trying to help, but that only works if someone is open to another perspective. Finished, won't say anymore...

I am also a huge fan of using high powered binocs from a tripod, in which case image stabilization is pointless. I really like Vortex's higher end stuff. However, I do prefer the Canons for any hand held use. It's like magic when you push the button.

Lighten up Francis...I did click on your link and scrolled down. Under "Technical Details" it states 2.35lbs. Just below that, under "Product Details" it states that the shipping weight is 3lbs. I overlooked where it said "Product Dimensions: 2.8 x 5 x 5.9 inches ; 1.4 pounds"

I apologize for not looking further.

I'm sorry you got your panties in a knot. You dudes pushing these IS binocs sure are feisty.

I apologize, myself and my friends are pretty thick skinned, and I realize others are not the same way. I did not mean any harm.

That is funny that some of the IS doubters have never even tried IS.

Ideas for future threads...

I don't need a calculator, I have an abacus.
What's the big deal with electricity?
The internet is just a fad.

That is funny that some of the IS doubters have never even tried IS.

Ideas for future threads...

I don't need a calculator, I have an abacus.
What's the big deal with electricity?
The internet is just a fad.

You make a good point. I'm a believer in new technology. I've never owned a pair of IS binos but I'll get my hands on one and give them a try - thanks!

Zen-Ray ED3s are inexpensive and have great glass for the money, plus a lifetime warranty.
I have a pair of 10x43s.
They are better optically than my brother's Steiner 10x42Rs and my Minox HG 8x33s which cost 2 and 3 times as much as the Zen-Rays.
CameraLand still has demo units for under $340.
Zen Ray Demo & Sample Gear - Camera Land NY

You make a good point. I'm a believer in new technology. I've never owned a pair of IS binos but I'll get my hands on one and give them a try - thanks!

If you can, try the 10x42 L version. I have Gen III PVS-14s, 640 core FLIR thermal viewer, and the 10x42 L IS binoculars. To me, the IS binoculars are the coolest of the three.

The Vortex Viper HD 10x42's will not disappoint for the money. They are a smokin' value.

If you can afford them then the 10x42 Razor's are even better.

I own Leica's and have for 10 years, but if I was buying new again I'd go Vortex. I bought some for my wife and father, both are very pleased.

No I have not and probably won't unless they put a laser in them. What I use works for me.
I'm not knocking them. They may be fucking fanfuckingtastic. I just take issue with ANYFUCKINGBODY that claims anything is the best in the world....sorta like the IOR guy of months past. There are no absolutes or one-size-fits-all.

well that's True as you so delicately put, LOL

I think that's why we own so many pairs of the damn things,,,1) I bought a pair of 7x30 steiner navigators and they are great out of their 7x30=8x30 the navigator 7x30s have the best twilight numbers when compaired to the safari 7x30s and the marine/military 280/281 7-8x30s, anyways the 7x30 navigators are great if you need a medium range set of binos,

But because of ITAR I could not get the Stiners with the RET So I managed to Find a Pair of Leupold Mark IVs 10x50 which are great for long ranges above 200 yds, I love the Mildot Ret and the colour, brightness and the crisp picture, when they first came out they were around 6-700 dollars but got them a bit cheaper than that, But they are a brand I have always wanted and the Quality is right up there with the best of them, the only issue I have with both pairs is wondering if there's anything in between

There's no such thing as the perfect Bino's and I think we just have to buy different pairs for what ever task comes up, but if you are carrying a spotter then the lower power bino's may be the best choice, But I cant make up my mind which pair to use.

john

I have done a bit of research by browsing threads like these for people's preference.
I have looked through various glass owned by friends.
I have compared, side by side, 8 pair of glass on tripods at three different times of day/night at my local Cabela's. Great guys/gals to let me take them out of the store and look through them for a couple hours.

I was looking to replace my 15 year old Cabela's Alaskan Guide 10x42 Roof Prism binoculars (cost 15 years ago was $500, my max back then). They have performed amazingly over the past 15 years. A truly great pair of $500 glass. They did not hold a candle to Swaros, Leicas and the other $1K+ glass from that same time period, but I can still easily see and size up potential game from over a mile and a half with them, and I would say I honestly spend thousands of hours behind them each year. This year I have over 2000 hours behind them already.

My criteria was simply the best glass for around $1500+/-.
Here are MY findings.

Vortex Razor HD 10x42 @ $1199. I was very disappointed in these. Optically I could not tell a difference between these and my current $500 glass, and I am a huge Vortex fan in other cases. Clarity and crispness was way off the others listed below. The warranty is the best in the business though, No ask 100% warranty.

Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 @ $1000-1200. Noticeably better than my $500 glass. Good color, fairly crisp with just a bit of edge blur. Bright at dusk, but not as much as others.

Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 @ $2299. Amazing glass. Very close to the Swaro ELs. I could barely tell any difference.

Leica Trinovid 10x42 @ $1495. Great glass, color, crisp except for the very outer edge, clear, bright. My biggest pet peeve is the eye relief. My eyelashes kept brushing the lenses every time I blinked. That would drive my nuts for hours on end. I have also heard nightmares about Leica customer service if anything should go wrong.

Leica Ultravid 10x42 @ $2299. Not quite as good as the Zeiss Victory HT, but still amazing, and noticeably better than the Trinovids. Again, my biggest pet peeve is the eye relief. Same as the Trinovids. Also the CS issue.

Swaro SLC HD 10x42 @ $1799. Great glass. Crisp to the edges and very clear. Good color, very bright until full dark. An improvement even over the older SLCs, and that is a compliment. Barely beat out by the next level of glass at additional costs of $500-800. These were my #2 choice even though slightly above my price range.

Swaro EL 10x42 @ $2579. The mother of all glass. Near perfection in a set of binos. Unparalleled clarity, crispness, color, and brightness. But almost twice my budget.

And here is the surprise glass.

Meopta Meostar HD 10x42 @ $1199. Cabela's in house glass or you can get them for the same price without the Cabela's logo from various places. Clarity is right there with the new Swaro SLC HDs, and better than a buddy's 2012 SLCs (non-HD version). Truly amazing for glass that is $500 cheaper than Swaros. Crisp right up to the edges. Brightness was only beaten by the ELs. Easily viewable in full dark like the SLC HDs. Color is amazing, only beaten by the Swaro ELs. Second least expensive (notice I didn't say cheap) glass that compares to higher dollar glass.

I ordered mine on Monday from Sportoptics.com, as they have a no tax/free shipping deal right now, which saved me another 9.5%. Here is the kicker that sealed the deal. Sportoptics.com had a demo model like NIB for $949. Saving me an additional $250.

Last edited:
The Meoptas are really sweet. Not sure why they aren't more popular. I had been using a set of Leupold Mark4 10x50s for the past few years, but they were a little big for my needs. I switched to the Meopta 8x42s and couldn't be happier.

The Meoptas are really sweet. Not sure why they aren't more popular. I had been using a set of Leupold Mark4 10x50s for the past few years, but they were a little big for my needs. I switched to the Meopta 8x42s and couldn't be happier.

Yeah them Leupold Mark 4s are a killer set of Binos but Im not sure if I would use them under 300yds because of the narrow field of view But for longer range when stationary they are one of the best and the Quality is spot on.

John

Last edited: