• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns In the car pistol carry options.

bkglock

Field Marshal
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2002
USA
How do you carry your ccw pistol while driving?
I normally use a Mitch Rosen IWB holster to carry a Kahr P9. This carry option is a poor choice while sitting in the car.
Or, in the car should the gun be unholstered and placed in the arm rest?
Looking for advice, thank you.

I carry mine on my hip. You have one of the best made holsters going.

Whatever you decide it needs to be two things. Readily available and secure. When I carry in the car I will sometimes put it in the counsel between the seats, but as I said the vast majority of the time on my hip.

My pistol stays on my belt in the car, even on long trips. I tend to carry at maybe 3:30 or 4 'o clock since this I have found this to be the best compromise between concealment and comfort while sitting.

I should have added a little more info. in my original post.
I am 6' 5" 275 lbs. I fill up my truck seat and am tight against the center arm rest. I can pull the pistol from my IWB holster but it is a slow and ungraceful process.
Anybody use a crossdraw holster?

Try this; When you sit down, or before you get in if there's no one who will see, remove the Kahr and put it under your leg opposite to your dominant hand when you sit down. i.e. If you're a righty, place it under your left leg with the muzzle pointing towards the door. It's surprisingly comfortable even with full-sized pistols.

I'm only 5'6" and 185lbs, but the seats in one of my cars (300C SRT8) are narrow and have rather snug bolsters (at least in comparison to most sedans). Even in these seats, I don't have a problem with IWB carry as long as the holster isn't positioned too far to the rear (gets pinched between my back and the seat back) or forward (gets pinched between the seat belt latch and my hip). Keep in mind that I'm running a leather holster that has about a year of break-in; a fresh leather holster or a Kydex rig may be too rigid. Slimmer guns also work better; although I'm presently carrying a G26 without issue, a compact 1911 or other single-stack is slimmer and easier to deal with in this situation.

Depending upon your build, so-called "appendix" IWB carry (where the gun sits at the front of your hip, around the 1 o' clock position for righties) may work while driving. I'm a relatively small guy with rather large thighs and I sit somewhat upright while driving, so I haven't gotten comfortable with this carry concept. But it might work for others.

Here is some additional reading:

IWB holster comfort while driving/seated

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-columns/features/learning-to-love-appendix-carry/

Here's another option A DeSantis Kingston car seat holster. The holster sits between you legs. I take my CZ-75 from my belt holster and stick it in the Kingston when I drive. You should have a CCL to use the holster though.

Try this; When you sit down, or before you get in if there's no one who will see, remove the Kahr and put it under your leg opposite to your dominant hand when you sit down. i.e. If you're a righty, place it under your left leg with the muzzle pointing towards the door. It's surprisingly comfortable even with full-sized pistols.

This could make for a bad day,if you ever got pulled over and a police officer sees a loose pistol under your leg even while your trying to explain to him you hava ccw things could go bad fast.

Just my two cents

I have a universal holster secured in the center console of my truck that fits most of my carry pistols and a spare magazine. The center console is pretty deep and I dont let shit pile up in there so its very accessable. If you decide to leave a holster fixed in your vehicle try to make it unoticeable to a passer by who may glance in your windows or worse a thief. That was my reasoning for not fixing the holster under my steering wheel or between the seat and center console. If you google image vehicle holster mounts there are some good pictures to give you ideas.
Good luck

This one will be reaching back for some of you but I remember it like it was yesterday. Look up the After Action Report on the famous FBI Miami shootout. One of the agents did as described and had the gun tucked under his leg. In the ensuing collision, the gun flew into the floorboard and then under the seat where he couldn't get to it once the shooting started. Less than ideal. Granted, you aren't PLANNING on getting into a collision but I would say the idea of a planned "bump and rob" (a real thing where thugs bump you from behind as if by accident and then carjack you) or an accident secondary to road rage are certainly plausible. I used to ride with my pistol under my leg all the time since i am a lefty and the seatbelt makes it difficult to draw but I stopped after the Miami report. Find another way to do it. OR carry a second car gun that stays in place.

I keep the pistol carried concealed on me, in the 4 o clock behind the hip. If i need to get to the gun i can, it wont fall around or about, i dont have to worry about my passangers discovering it, and no awkward moments waiting for everyone to leave / turn around so you can grab your gun and stick it back in your pants. i keep a cabled micro vault hidden in the car at all times in case im in a scetchy area and i need to lock up my radio/gps or if in a "no carry zone" like school i have the option to lock up the gun.

Screw a holster to your 5 o'clock underneath your steering wheel... a holster with level 2 or 3 retention device (cheapest would be a blackhawk serpa).

ankle holsters. unless your wearing shorts. im 6'3"225 and I have no problem getting to it right hand right outside leg

when I have mine in the car, when traveling, I put it between the seat and console, between my backside and seat or simply lap/between- under the legs.

in my wife's car, she has seat covers that have pockets in the front...perfect for a pistol. There are several companies that make custom care seat covers that will put any pocket you want on them

Last edited:
I normally use a Mitch Rosen IWB holster to carry a Kahr P9. This carry option is a poor choice while sitting in the car.
Or, in the car should the gun be unholstered and placed in the arm rest?
Looking for advice, thank you.

I saw a setup (can't recall who or where) but it clipped to the underside of the steering column. I thought that would be an ideal position for when in the vehicle.....

The Kaiser

My pistol stays on my belt in the car, even on long trips. I tend to carry at maybe 3:30 or 4 'o clock since this I have found this to be the best compromise between concealment and comfort while sitting.

This... I don't think your carry should leave your person.

I keep mine holstered in my center console. Granted the console is as big as an ice chest, it works for me. If not there then at 4 o'clock iwb.

Eric

Mine stays on...I also carry about 4 maybe 5 o'clock. I get situated and press the butt of my gun forward...works fine.

DeSantis Sky Cop crossdraw or Galco Underwraps work for me. I'm right handed and the crossdraw from either of these holsters puts the weapon in the driver side window immediately. And I believe that is where the threat would usually present itself. Both also keep the weapon above the lapbelt portion of the seatbelt giving unobstructed access. But I also always have a handgun in the console.

Last edited:
M&P 40C in a don hume IWB on my right side. i keep it there for short drives and keep in under the arm rest for longer drive. i can get to the M&P in both spots quickly

If you absolutely, positively need to be able to draw from behind the wheel this is available: Andrews Custom Leather - Carjacker Crossdraw

I agree that at no time should you separate yourself from your firearm by holstering it by the wheel or in the console. And the under the leg is FNG.

I have to honor my ex-wife and not carry while picking up my son at her home. I have a level II under my steering wheel at 1 oclock for positive retention while not in my immediate control. Otherwise I like the crossdraw option for comfort.

Train train train. Sit in your car in your driveway, and practice (slow is smooth, smooth is fast) unbuckling your seatbelt, then your draw stroke. Do it 10-20 times a day when you get home from work. If you stay aware of your surroundings, and are able to see danger escalating, this training will be second nature to you, and you will be prepared. Just my thought.

When I’m in my truck most of the time I have my HK45c on my hip at 4 o’clock. For long trips I have it in a holster mounted in the center consol. My theory, and this is a theory at this point, I have not had to draw my weapon. Is that if you don’t have enough time to get it off of your hip or out of the center consol you were SERIOUSLY not paying attention.

Both of my Mustangs have pretty aggressive seats, Recaro’s in one and Sparco race buckets in the other. I can’t fit in the seat with a pistol holstered. In both cars it goes in the arm rest/center consol.

On a battle belt with two pistol mags and two rifle mags, plate carrier/soft armor fastened with cumberbund stays, two grenades, a radio and blowout kit, all under man-jams. The rest is in a bag at my feet.

Oh, you meant here.....Nevermind.

On a battle belt with two pistol mags and two rifle mags, plate carrier/soft armor fastened with cumberbund stays, two grenades, a radio and blowout kit, all under man-jams. The rest is in a bag at my feet.

Oh, you meant here.....Nevermind.

Sounds like my Deeetroit setup.

You've gotten many suggestions, all of them will work depending on the situation. I'll add my $00.02. Although I have used probably all of the methods mentioned (and still may.......) I prefer to keep the weapon on my person in the event I would have to unexpectantly exit the vehilce (I want it with me.) Also, I don't want it stored or loose in the vehicle so that a passenger could gain access (children, weapon phobia types, etc.) or have it rolling around in the event of an accident. If you aren't worried about the muzzle covering a passenger in the rear of a vehicle a shoulder holster is the most practical but personally I don't like the feel of them. I find that an OWB with an FBI cant will fit right behind the hip and also clears the seatbelt latch. As always, YMMV.

Mine stays between the seat and console in a nylon holster in my truck. The holster has an extra clip on the top. The holster is also big enough that it snugly fits between the seat and console. The extra weight of the loaded clip also helps. Removal is nice and easy. The muzzle points at the five O'clock position so it is not pointing in the direction of any passengers (crew cab truck). This position leaves the grip of the weapon at a an upward swept angle making it easy for my hands to get ahold of. It also sits in front of the seat belt so access isn't obstructed. The only time it is is when the arm rest is down but that is not normally an issue.

Use my set and the center consol/seat next to me as a holster and it just stay right there, easy to draw if needed, never far away and also carry mags in my door.

Another option I've seen is get some Velcro and put it under the steering column. And put some on top of your gun, if you don't want to do that then another option is making a circle out of Velcro and having that circle be tight enought to fit around the trigger guard but not so tight you can't draw your gun.

Scroll through this, just didn't a google search and found these pictures that are very similar to what I'm talking about. Car-mount holster, anyone made their own? - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

I keep one in the center console of my truck. It is much easier to get to than holstered on my body while seated and I know it is always in the truck when I get in it. Depending on the configuration of your console, you may be able to use the tool box drawer foam from Sears like I did and cut it to fit your console and weapon. This will keep it secure and other items away from it. Takes a little effort, but it works great.

Attachments

• IMAG0122.jpg
    IMAG0122.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 29
Well here in Illinois, I carry...oh wait I can't cc. So mine stays in a case without a mag. How convenient. " for criminals".

This could make for a bad day,if you ever got pulled over and a police officer sees a loose pistol under your leg even while your trying to explain to him you hava ccw things could go bad fast.

Just my two cents

I have been pulled over for a blown head light. The first words out of the policeman's mouth was
" I see you gun there, do have a conceal carry license?" I said "yes". He sad " May I see it please?" I said "Sure". All was well from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Strong side carry, all the time, every time, with no exceptions. That's just my take on it.

I have a split bench seat in my truck with a kydex holster in the split, also one in my car between the seat and console. Pistol grip is only inches away from where I keep my hand while driving. When I get in the either vehicle, it goes in the car holster. Very concealed without any extra body movement or reaching that could tip someone off if I needed it. When I get out of the car, it goes back in my iwb holster on my person. If we take the wife's car on a trip, there nothing to unfasten, I can grab one of the holsters and slide it in her car, and were ready to go.

Last edited:
Keep a G20 and 4 full mags in the drivers side door compartment, rather roomy and easy to get to. Also keep G29 on me or in the consol which I IWB carry if I get out of the car.

Slightly off topic but to carry a pistol in my country it has to be concealed by law. Temporarily deactivated locked in a box secured to the vehicle and ammunition separately and not in a mag. Doing otherwise will get one an express ticket to a 8x10 locked box at the governments expense.

It's all good but. The baddies are happy to wait while you get your phone out, call the police and wait a good ten mins or so before they steal your car or rape your wife. The lucky country my ass. lucky to make your next birthday.

Since I chose a slightly larger handgun to use as ccw I have the same problem, very uncomfortable to drive with. i prefer to unholster mine and put it in between the driver seat and middle console.

People who say that shoulder holsters are comfortable for long periods of driving have never worn a shoulder holster on a long drive.

I don't like mine to come off my side for reasons already mentioned. If I'm on a long trip however is the only exception and then I may unholster as well as carry a second pistol. I have a raven vanguard tied to my belt clicker between my seat and console so I just pop that around the trigger guard of one and it goes there and the other gets another vanguard clipped on and placed in the center console. When I bought my new truck I wore the biggest gun that I ever carry (full size Glock) and made sure the seat was roomy enough to be comfortable with the gun on. I actually wanted leather seats but the cloth gave me more comfort with my gun so that's what I got.

Commander or Officers .45 in a IWB at 4:00 at all times. A S&W Compact 9mm DAO (police trade in) with two full mags rides in the center console of my truck 24/7. I live in a rural area and no kids in my truck so I don't worry about theft or others accessing the 9mm so much. Much easier and faster to grab than the Colt when seated if needed.