• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing In the market for a lathe....

Shanerbanner10

Primer Denter
Minuteman
  • Jan 13, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Hey guys, I'm in the market for a lathe and don't really want a Grizzly or similar quality lathe. I'd like something used like a Kent, Sharp, maybe a Victor. I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestion for around 4-6k$, or if you know of anything for sale, shoot me a message.
    I've checked craiglist and ebay within about 500 miles of me and there just isn't a lot out there.

I have a pm 1340gt and have been really happy with it. You mention not wanting similar quality to grizzly, which most precision Matthew's would be considered as much, but I'd call the 1340gt a step above. I've had a grizzly and a pm1236 and did like the pm better, but the 1340gt is def in a different class for sure.

Have you checked with Hall Industrial in Wichita? They have alot of used stuff. I'd also sell mine, just so I could upgrade.

Tough one depending where you are geographically. I have "saved searches" running constantly, but here in FL there's just not much.
    If you're in Ohio, PA, WI, and other states in the "former" manufacturing belt- including where many of the US iron was made- they turn up more frequently.

Might be beneficial for any members that know of legit and credible re-sellers to list them. Too many shysters out there selling clapped out crap for top dollar- unless I can see it and run it, it's not an option for me.

Tough one depending where you are geographically. I have "saved searches" running constantly, but here in FL there's just not much.
    If you're in Ohio, PA, WI, and other states in the "former" manufacturing belt- including where many of the US iron was made- they turn up more frequently.

Might be beneficial for any members that know of legit and credible re-sellers to list them. Too many shysters out there selling clapped out crap for top dollar- unless I can see it and run it, it's not an option for me.

Stating the obvious, in industrial areas there is all sorts of stuff. Around here in Oklahoma its kinda tough to find quality machines without paying ridiculous amounts from re sellers.

I have a pm 1340gt and have been really happy with it. You mention not wanting similar quality to grizzly, which most precision Matthew's would be considered as much, but I'd call the 1340gt a step above. I've had a grizzly and a pm1236 and did like the pm better, but the 1340gt is def in a different class for sure.

I've thought about the 1340. Seems like good stuff. I figure if i'm going to spend around 5k$ i might as well find a machine a step above grizzly, pm and similar machines and look for something used but in good condition like a Kent, Sharp, Victor, etc. If I could find a used Kent or Sharp with aloris or delorian (probably spelled that wrong) tool post, DRO, and a couple chucks I'd be stoked. Just can't seem to track one down at the moment.

Something to try, get in touch with your local machinists.
    They are always hearing about machines coming to the market.
    They may also be employed as a source of expertise on equipment.

R

Clearly someone doesn't read very well... my bad.

Haha, I've been really happy with mine. Not sure how they compare to the others mentioned that he is looking for. I've never worked on anything but old Logan and southbend and new Chinese like he wants to avoid and then of course the Taiwanese 1340 I have now. I have maybe 5 hours on a Nardini 1440 and really like it, but the headstock is too long to do barrels how I do them. My buddy had the TBAS setup and he liked it but I prefer my spiders

There's not many out there but a Nardini 10X30 or 12X30 are great machines. Timken bearings. A really nice machine. Narrow headstock. No comparison with the current import stuff. I've had a 10X30 for 20+ years. Until I got my Haas I would never have contemplated getting rid of it, ever. It won't make the trip to the new shop. I handed it off to a friend. My other lathe is a Clausing-Metosa 14X40. It took me 4 years to get comfortable with it because I was spoiled by the Nardini but it's also a good lathe.

There is no US manufacturer of manual lathes.
    China, Taiwan and India still make lathes with the Chinese lathes the most prolific as they meet most needs of the home workshop.
    There are different levels of these lathes as well.
    For example, the Grizzly Gunsmith lathe such as the 4003G is basically the same lathe as the 4003, but has (supposedly) superior bearings.
    The taiwanese lathes are a bit more expensive, the fit and finish is superior, they are sold by most companies that sell the chinese lathes and the PM1340GT is a good example. Similar lathes are sold by KentUSA, Jet, SouthBend and other "high end" companies as well.
    What do you get with the current production import lathes that you don't with old American iron?
    Easy, SUPPORT.
    Do you think, for some reason, that a 50 year old American made lathe won't have backlash or alignment issues?
    If you want to spend the time, money and effort in restoring an old American lathe, have at it.
    If you want to make chips, buy the best import you can and get to work.

Have 1 or 3 phase power? I have a pm1340gt and it's great. If you can find a bigger older machine that's in great shape, consider getting a bigger heavier machine and look into the true bore alignment system same idea as coaxially alignment through the headstock but don't need a short headstock to do it. If you can save some cash on the lathe you can put it into the chuck/true bore alignment system. I'm planning on getting a haas tl-1 in about a month and putting the tbas on it and running cnc programs for my barrels.

getting a little off topic here, but if using the TBAS, what do you do to keep the end of the barrel inside the headstock from "flopping" around? My friend that uses it has delrin bushings he puts on that end and seems to work fine, but I have never really been a fan of that method.

getting a little off topic here, but if using the TBAS, what do you do to keep the end of the barrel inside the headstock from "flopping" around? My friend that uses it has delrin bushings he puts on that end and seems to work fine, but I have never really been a fan of that method.

They shouldn't flop around much once you get them aligned. If you get the harmonics just right, the barrel will sing like a tuning fork. I wrap a shop towel around it to deaden the tendency to vibrate and hence to eliminate any potential chatter.

BSz0gBkjO_-r6LYcDbZCLuMp2u8gbiF-Mt4EQIpeX2GqUE3f5XlaZ9NjVO4FV5GMpRrFl4f2uZrLnEKwPoq_sCxbFLXzXdOGHzR_fSdpx2sZzq4qIH-o2RixE2hyifM02ZfOIq3CgjB4y1uL0C-j8-ROGZ1iKZ8x3-2gYHL4Ya15FDn_rXZB7qTRnDWUQeUBHhvBBc9iSF7lVCuQGcD_0t_5EiPi5PFfrkClXSgf1jxfdEyxEIDgVTzkq9Je05R4Ocvzp8G0AA4pcVeZacjgWZ0QseI84-a2K2r9vJeViJ7VUpcpL5Pz3gO8R1la9eA2EXAIDkPBYE2Z86W2_ts_x79K5hPMEMVyMtxi9IcSnvOrLL_cxvT91dwSlTbfMpnK99ihOg9NulJVtncMTlTCoWEHbg6TuSRYSFeR91Nz4P_jioApDuUO9yNcwriUdFsWngJpZBCK_qWghFdE_LL-nvzIg2NQJM3JO94GhQ9w_sWGxGf_x3QIz7Bjvh_oqhb0brruupMwZh6fagc-uWFsyxhH1ZYBrZWZqjU0b7CLSV8sWnj6ttF4-nxnYswNluW4IfD3rKcVgN55HCbX_njImx1V8GDy_p8gXmK8cPonbVvsBrRz30tuRO7_Y9Wx-M4eMzShVjVdTEIESs-KBej01Tx-uySnRxzxniw0wtD9zzgy0i0=w1024

There's not many out there but a Nardini 10X30 or 12X30 are great machines. Timken bearings. A really nice machine. Narrow headstock. No comparison with the current import stuff. I've had a 10X30 for 20+ years. Until I got my Haas I would never have contemplated getting rid of it, ever. It won't make the trip to the new shop. I handed it off to a friend. My other lathe is a Clausing-Metosa 14X40. It took me 4 years to get comfortable with it because I was spoiled by the Nardini but it's also a good lathe.

Thanks Mr. Tooley, I will looking those suggestions.

Don't forget that Jet makes a great lathe! Made in Japan. Used one for a bit and was very impressed with it..

I've got a kent kls 1440 and it is a perfect size lathe for a home shop. The sharp is almost exactly the same size but a step up in quality, but I'm not sure it is worth double the money. Both are a little small and light for a professional type use. I use a 1640 at work that is about 3 times the weight it makes a huge difference on surface finish and the ability to take larger cuts.
    All in all I really like the kent for what it is, and parts are available for it should you ever need anything.

Other than a reference to Clausing, I'm surprised I don't see more mention of classic manufacturers - South Bend, Logan, LeBlond, Monarch, etc. A good older machine will beat most of the imports hands down. Most are in the northeast but they do show up all over. Set up a search in ebay and be patient.

I figure from the research I've done I can get a machine for ~5k that is a solid couple steps up from Grizzly and PM. Finding said machine is a different story.

The best deal I've seen on a good lathe recently was a sharp 1440 with digital variable speed, dro, and aloris style post the guy was asking around $6k I believe but he's in Phoenix, AZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best deal I've seen on a good lathe recently was a sharp 1440 with digital variable speed, dro, and aloris style post the guy was asking around $6k I believe but he's in Phoenix, AZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woof. That's pretty nice and turn key. I spent less than half but no DRO or phase converter. Let us know if you go that route.

I looked at the PM 1340 Taiwan lathe and it's really nice. I'd buy it if it was my only option. As I said, I lucked into one for short money. Power gets hooked up to it in 2 weeks. School starts in September. Good luck in your search and your learning.

Ah ya, I talked to that guy when he first posted it. He wants 8K$ for the lathe. I couldn't justify that plus the drive out there from oklahoma. It is exactly what I am looking for though.

Got a big azz catalog in the mail from Baileigh Industrial, have their own line of "branded" equipment- including metalworking lathes.
    Not familiar with them; anyone know what "tier" of Chicom quality on which they reside?

Got a big azz catalog in the mail from Baileigh Industrial, have their own line of "branded" equipment- including metalworking lathes.
    Not familiar with them; anyone know what "tier" of Chicom quality on which they reside?

I've read/heard they are ok. Similar quality to Grizzly lathes. I could definitely be wrong though.

Other than a reference to Clausing, I'm surprised I don't see more mention of classic manufacturers - South Bend, Logan, LeBlond, Monarch, etc. A good older machine will beat most of the imports hands down. Most are in the northeast but they do show up all over. Set up a search in ebay and be patient.

The issue with those is use and abuse. Finding a great example can be hard. I dont think the OP wants to go through a refurb before he gets to making barrels. They are out there though. I have a local dealer that sells mori and whacheon. Beautiful machines, for roughly the same money as a new dirt bike.

OP, if you can be patient, finding the right machine at the right time will save you thousands. Before I got my lathe, and before I even considered getting one, the deals that I was aware of from shops upgrading or going out of business were just silly. Like pennies on the dollar. I never considered id be doing my own work till a lathe fell in my lap. Then another presented itself, and thats the last lathe i'll ever need. I still look for them just to see whats out there just because. Right place right time will get you a great lathe for a great price.

The issue with those is use and abuse. Finding a great example can be hard. I dont think the OP wants to go through a refurb before he gets to making barrels. They are out there though. I have a local dealer that sells mori and whacheon. Beautiful machines, for roughly the same money as a new dirt bike.

OP, if you can be patient, finding the right machine at the right time will save you thousands. Before I got my lathe, and before I even considered getting one, the deals that I was aware of from shops upgrading or going out of business were just silly. Like pennies on the dollar. I never considered id be doing my own work till a lathe fell in my lap. Then another presented itself, and thats the last lathe i'll ever need. I still look for them just to see whats out there just because. Right place right time will get you a great lathe for a great price.

Exactly. I don't have the time, experience or knowledge to fix an older lathe up. This is why I'd like to find something used but in good condition.

My problem is there just really aren't that many machine or fabrication shops in this area. There are probably a handful, but I don't even know how to approach purchasing a machine when they'd go to upgrade. I guess just call around and see if they are thinking about off loading any equipment in the near future?