• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inability to shoot well with magnums

I only read page one, but if you have vids post the YT links for the guys here to look.

Is there a big difference in skill between shooting magnums and smaller calibers such as .308/5.56?

I can shoot sub MOA groups with other calibers, but as soon as I pick up my 300WinMag I suddenly suck. Both the rifle and optic have been checked my mfg and are not defective. I've tried multiple match grade rounds, including the exact same one the mfg used to shoot 3 sub MOA groups. It's not the gear or ammunition. It's all been systematically checked.

I've tried shooting just about every way, including a sled, but I mainly shoot prone with a bipod and bag. My groups range from 1"(rare) to 3.5." I've noticed a lot of the time a 3 round group has 2 very close if not touching, and one outlier ruining the group. I don't understand why I can shoot sub MOA with a smaller caliber and then have that large of a difference when I shoot the WinMag. I've had friends film me shooting and everything looks normal. I've accidentally fired on an empty chamber a handful of times and didn't flinch. With other calibers I can tell when I throw a round. On this rifle I can shoot a group that feels like it should be great, but it isn't.

I've got around 500 rounds through it and it's been the same repeated target since day one.

I've been scratching my head for over a year and I don't understand how there can be that much of a difference in my shooting ability. Is this common? Am I missing something?
It seems that these days everyone is taught to shoot Hollywood style with the left hand (if right handed) at the toe of the stock instead of gripping the fore-end or bearing down on the scope where it should be. It can work where there is little recoil but really comes unstuck with something hefty. I agree with Nathan Foster whose article 'Hold that Fore-end' is well worth reading.

It seems that these days everyone is taught to shoot Hollywood style with the left hand (if right handed) at the toe of the stock instead of gripping the fore-end or bearing down on the scope where it should be. It can work where there is little recoil but really comes unstuck with something hefty. I agree with Nathan Foster whose article 'Hold that Fore-end' is well worth reading.

Hi,

Here you go @Dthomas3523
Time to break out all those pics and videos you did testing this......

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: lash

Well, this might be the winner for worst post of the week.

If you have to hold the forend while prone, bench, or modified prone, you’re doing it wrong.

Holding the forend is for reticle/rifle stability off props and positions. NOT to manage recoil.

The only time you would use the “hold the forend” from that article is when in positions you have to get into that don’t allow the use of proper recoil management. Such as in the author’s pic where he is shooting off the pack.

Last edited:
well....I didn't know I was shooting 'Hollywood' style...but it works for me. I just wish my scope could make out the ingredients of a can of soup at 1 mile like in the movies.

I have 3 "unbraked" hunting rifles, and all 3 calibers have different recoil characteristics and impulses:
1) 243 Win(9 pound scoped) - recoil feels like a slow gentle shove
2) 308 Win(10.5 pound scoped) - recoil feels like a firm shove
3) 300 Win Mag(10.5 pound scoped) - recoil feels like a sharp intense kick

The 243, 308 less so, might allow you to get away with flawed shooting fundamentals and recoil management, but the 300 Win Mag magnifies any flaws in your fundamentals. The 243 Win makes me look good, but it took shooting the 300 Win Mag unbraked to humble me.
Any lack of attention or inconsistency when shooting the 300 Win Mag results in accuracy going out the window in a heart beat...

Not to mention bearing down on the optic can change POI depending on how much stress is out on the optic as well as how much stress is already on the tube (rings/mounts aren’t always perfect and can stress the tube without us knowing).

Laughing-chimp-gif-animation.gif~c200

Centuriator, is that you?

@Dthomas3523 can we move that post to the Stupid Things You've Heard thread?

Yeah, I got some of those 2 and 3 legged gizmos that support the front of the rifle for me. 🤷‍♂️

Well I took the rifle to the PRS competition today and had a member from here shoot it. We tried two different optics and it is definitely an issue with the night force. I can’t believe it but night force is still arguing with me telling me that they are 100% positive their optic is not defect. I can literally swap back-and-forth between optics and watch the groups go from 3-6 inches to 1 inch or less. It wasn’t an issue with the rings. The night forest dealer remounted it with brand new rings and it still does it

Well I took the rifle to the PRS competition today and had a member from here shoot it. We tried two different optics and it is definitely an issue with the night force. I can’t believe it but night force is still arguing with me telling me that they are 100% positive their optic is not defect. I can literally swap back-and-forth between optics and watch the groups go from 3-6 inches to 1 inch or less. It wasn’t an issue with the rings. The night forest dealer remounted it with brand new rings and it still does it

The nightforce competition optic used by many F class shooters is known to have a zero drift at times. So, this isn’t shocking.

The nightforce competition optic used by many F class shooters is known to have a zero drift at times. So, this isn’t shocking.

That's bullbutter- No such thing as "0 drift" in NF's gear- Why the hell would you bring something up like that when you have no practical knowledge of it, especially with this situation- Doodes love to run there traps about stuff online, when they don't have the balls to admit their own shortcomings at the line. "0 drift" on a Nightforce...Laughable man... You must rep bushnell-

Last edited:
That's bullbutter- No such thing as "0 drift" of NF's gear- Why the hell would you bring something up like that when you have no practical knowledge of it, especially with this situation- Doodes love to run there traps about stuff online, when they don't have the balls to admit their own shortcomings at the line. "0 drift" on a Nightforce...Laughable man... You must rep bushnell-
A Nightforce man, I take it? 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: IdahoSpud
Oh my god. Is this the moron that was on LRH telling everyone that NF is just as good as tangent theta? He also loves rifle levels if it is him.

Did this ever get resolved ?
No. Sorry I haven’t been able to update it on LRH. Mein Fuhrer Len does not approve. He deleted all associated threads and banned me.

That's bullbutter- No such thing as "0 drift" in NF's gear- Why the hell would you bring something up like that when you have no practical knowledge of it, especially with this situation- Doodes love to run there traps about stuff online, when they don't have the balls to admit their own shortcomings at the line. "0 drift" on a Nightforce...Laughable man... You must rep bushnell-

Ok mf’er. Bye Bye.

(FYI, I’ve watched guys test these in scope checkers. It’s common knowledge with F class and the NF competition)

I had a ATACR slipping in a Spuhr even at slightly above spec torques on my MRAD 338LM. I used some scope grip rosin and it solved the problem. NF might be right, your scope might be functioning correctly but maybe the tube is slightly out of spec and not being gripped by the second set of rings well either.

The rosin is cheap, it's worth a try.

Reactions: IdahoSpud
I had a ATACR slipping in a Spuhr even at slightly above spec torques on my MRAD 338LM. I used some scope grip rosin and it solved the problem. NF might be right, your scope might be functioning correctly but maybe the tube is slightly out of spec and not being gripped by the second set of rings well either.

The rosin is cheap, it's worth a try.
NF said both rings and the scope body were in spec, but hell yeah it’s worth a try. Thanks.

Ok mf’er. Bye Bye.

(FYI, I’ve watched guys test these in scope checkers. It’s common knowledge with F class and the NF competition)
OK, let me ask a dumb question- when I read the post, I took it to essentially say that NFs have zeros that drift, not that they had zero drift. Which way is the correct interpretation that generated the outrage? Inquiring minds want to know.

OK, let me ask a dumb question- when I read the post, I took it to essentially say that NFs have zeros that drift, not that they had zero drift. Which way is the correct interpretation that generated the outrage? Inquiring minds want to know.
You read it the wrong way

Reactions: ShadowBear

The NightForce competition has a reputation for zero shifts during recoil.

Someone needs to actually call me and tell me when a thread has the potential to go this bad.... i hate catching the end!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
NF said both rings and the scope body were in spec, but hell yeah it’s worth a try. Thanks.
You've got a lot of good advice here. I watched your video and looked at your target. I've owned magnum hunting rifles in the past, and a couple of them would beat you to death if you let them. On a couple of the shots, the muscles in you face and parts of your body looked like you were anticipating the shot. You are definitely in too low of a position as Lowlight pointed out along with some other good advice he gave you. But, if you were also anticipating the shot, that's going to give you problems. There's something I haven't seen anyone suggest here. Double up on your hearing protection. I know it sounds crazy, but use some ear plugs under those muffs. Give it a try and see what happens.

oh...I highly agree with doubling up ear pro. The older you get...the more your brain will make you involuntarily react to loud noises.

Oh...maybe I can use that as an excuse....yea...I shot poorly because I forgot my other ear plugs....man...if I'd have them on...I'd have won!!!