• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inch/Pound Torque Wrench

Re: Inch/Pound Torque Wrench

get a used one from Ebay. Many $200+ torque wrenches are being dumped due to factories closing.

Harbor Freight has inexpensive ones. Torque wrenches are one item where price = quality usually.

If you can spend a bit more, a Borka is unbeatable.

I paid $50 for my Craftsman. I think it was on sale. I think they go on sale about every other week.

Hope that helps.

JJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I paid $50 for my Craftsman. I think it was on sale. I think they go on sale about every other week.

Hope that helps.

JJ </div></div>

I think thats what I paid for mine also their good quality..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonely_Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you considered the Wheeler FAT Wrench? </div></div>
+1 for the wheeler fat wrench

The problem with the Craftsman and Harbor Freight 1/4" drive "Click" style torque wrenches is they are 20-200 in-lb.

Here is a 0-60 in-lb beam style for less then $50 shipped,
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-TW-1-Tor...4376&sr=8-2

I prefer the beam style torque wrenches in some applications, torquing scope caps in sequence and in steps is one. I will snug all the cap screws at 5 in-lbs in an X pattern then 10, 15 and finally 20 in-lbs (or what ever the spec may be). You wont be able to do that with the 20-200 in-lb units.

The Weaver Gunsmithing Torque Wrench is another option inline with your budget. I keep one in my range bag and have zero complaints. The only thing I added was a 1/4in hex to 3/8in socket adapter.

Went to Lowe's and asked for a Inch Pound torque wrench and he looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead then told me there is "No such thing as inch pounds"

Even high-quality wrenches will only be within 1-4% of the nominal values. A used factory model might need recalibration. You could just get the Borka.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went to Lowe's and asked for a Inch Pound torque wrench and he looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead then told me there is "No such thing as inch pounds" </div></div>

awesome

I started with the cheap Harbor Freight one that only goes down to 20 in-lbs, and ended up buying the Borka. No regrets, I leave the Harbor Freight one in the bike toolbox, the Borka in the gun toolbox.

dont waste your money on a cheap one , it won't work accuratly. I would know , i wasted money on shitty ones that were not consistent. Pay once cry once and get something good , like the borka.

being a mechanic i have a few but i bought 2 for my gun bag. 5-50 inch lbs and 50-200 inch lbs. if you are using a torque wrench at or near its bottom or top value it is ussually not accurate.

you can get quality used ones for under a 100 each. new they run around 250-300.

Spend the money on the Borka. It is a really neat piece of kit and I use it on stuff all the time.

wh00sl.jpg

I would go one Ebay and buy a used American or German made one as well. I got my driver for $50 or so used, and I wouldn't trade it for a platic Fat Wrench or a Borka. The Borka is sweet, but I look at it more as a field tool than a shop tool. My driver is adjustable by the lb, and maybe even the 1/2lb, but I can't remember for sure. If I was on a limited budget and had to buy either a Borka or a dedicated shop driver, I would buy the Borka.

Borka - smart money says support Boris. He has excellent CS and makes sure things are right.
At least talk to the guy before buying the other 'stuff'...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Beam style torque wrenches are surprisingly accurate and retain linearity better then spring detent clicker's....

The Borka is nice, but your limited to a set of giving values. </div></div>

First, thank you very much for a compliment.

Second, while I do not dispute accuracy of beam type wrench, assuming, of course, that it is properly calibrated, or, to be more specific, is properly "zeroed", I just wanted to point out that my "spring detent clicker" does not have any issues with linearity, because it does not have one, being a pre-set type of torque driver. Spring load is set only once, then setup is fixed and all 12 settings are provided by the geometry of the rigid driver arm, and not by spring adjustment.

Beam type torque tool may have linearity issues, cause it is still the <span style="text-decoration: underline">spring based torque indicating device</span>, but instead of helical spring, it uses, let's say, flat spring shaped like a solid rod or something like that. This tool can be easily zeroed, but how accurate it is depends upon keeping the elastic specs of spring rod very, very consistent from one tool assembly to the other, which depends upon consistency of metal composition, heat treatment and spring dimensions. In mass production, it is not easy to obtain "precision" heat treatment results without going an extra mile...

In regard to having only 12 fixed torque settings - hey, Seekink T-handle only has one, but it is used by precision shooters cause they want both accuracy and consistency, which is known to be more easily obtained from the pre-set torque tools - no operator error reading the scale, no need to have good light conditions to see the scale at all, etc... Having 12 fixed torque settings of specific values was determined, by expert and user feedback, to be sufficent to cover most of the shooting public needs, while keepting the whole package several times smaller and lighter than, say, beam type torque tool provides. MG driver is just completely different animal, practical solution to shooters needs and is not intented to compete with beam torque wrench, which is, I believe, is more of the general purpose lab type tool. Beam type tool, by the way, from my own experinece, can go bad real easy if dropped... You can drop MG driver, and it will likely still work O.K. with the same accuracy and consistency.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Borka - smart money says support Boris. He has excellent CS and makes sure things are right.
At least talk to the guy before buying the other 'stuff'... </div></div>

Thank you. Your "smart money" comment was quite inspring...

I had a Seekonk and while it is a fine wrench, it was heavy and could only handle one setting. Sold it, got the Borka and have no regrets. It has plenty of settings common to mounting scopes or bases and tightening action screws.

I bought the Weaver over the Fat wrench. It comes with a carry case and fits in my shooters bag just fine...no complaints so far.

BnG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Meant no disrespect Boris, thank you for your insight. </div></div>

There was absolutely no disrespect in your post, I've replied to it because I just wanted to show certain differences between beam type and MG torque tools, and kind of highlight the practical aspect of my design.

Thank you.

Boris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went to Lowe's and asked for a Inch Pound torque wrench and he looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead then told me there is "No such thing as inch pounds" </div></div>

Must be a Lowes thing... the only difference was the guy looked at me like I had 8 dicks growing out of my head... wound up buying a borka from brownells.. I have to say it is AWESOME!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a decent but inexpensive torque wrench. By inexpensive I mean $50 or less. </div></div>

What is your torque range and what are you torquing? I have a dedicated Seekonk at 140 in-lbs for my LMT MRP rifles and a Borka for the small stuff....I am real impressed with the Borka for scope rings and mounts

Just want a wrench for general maintenance. Torquing stuff like bottom metal and scope rings.

For the INCH/POUND scale I do not trust "clicker" type torque wrench's.

Get a used dial torque wrench and get it re-certified. I would not even consider Harbor Frieght for a tool that needs to be accurate.

I settled on a New Dial Torque Wrench:

Proto, 1/4-in drive, 0-75 in/lbs.
I paid about $170.

The Borka looks like a good value if certified.

If you have $2k+ into a rifle, get the tools it deserves.

AnschutzNerd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnschutzNerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The Borka looks like a good value if certified.

</div></div>

For all practical purposes, who should "certify" my torque driver, and also, why?

You mean you want a have a separate piece of paper stating that torque values are withing certain range? This info is available from the user guide.

I'm just puzzled what you mean by saying "if certified", cause having paper "certificate" does not make any device work better than it is capable of by design. So, is my tool not a good one because it does not have this piece of paper? I need to know, cause I can print such piece of paper and enclose it with the tool in addition to the user guide, if this makes my tool a "good" one.

Just trying to be practical, you know...but I'm always ready to learn if I'm missing something...

Boris, I guess I'll take it upon myself to apologize to you, for all of the (Eye-"D"-Ten-"T") card carrying individuals. Those who constantly and continuously strive to attain greatness and omnipresence regarding the "disregardation" (I invented that word for just this situation) of a fine, SIMPLE TO USE, non-complicated, and RELIABLE tool.

Oh yeah, and it is also Ambidextrous, Multi-Torquing, (can't really say variable though, can I?) Proven,.... oh, and Widely Accepted.

Over,
and Over,

And Over Again.

Change is good. Embrace the Change. (This one..... not the other one.) Happy New Year, All.

smile.gif

Sean,

No need to appologize, really, but thank you.

I guess my brain is just a bit damaged by 30 years of engineering practice and seeing too many tool certificates and calibration stickers, so I take things a bit more professionally than I should. Hey, may be I should, indeed, fix some kind of cute looking certificate and raise price $20 so that my tool looks like its worth something. I can even personally sign it and put my P.E. seal on it, but that will add another $20.

Just kidding, of course...

Boris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm just puzzled what you mean by saying "if certified", cause having paper "certificate" does not make any device work better than it is capable of by design. So, is my tool not a good one because it does not have this piece of paper? I need to know, cause I can print such piece of paper and enclose it with the tool in addition to the user guide, if this makes my tool a "good" one.

Just trying to be practical, you know...but I'm always ready to learn if I'm missing something...
</div></div>

Certificate of Calibration.

Industry standard for torque wrench's used in aerospace and many other industries. The Borka tool looks like a quality product of efficient design. No certificate of calibration? No thanks. A P.E. stamp does not change that.

AnschutzNerd

Thank you for your input. While MG torque driver is not an industrial (production and lab) type tool, which would normally need to have such certificate to comply with internal company procedures, I do agree that having it would probably make some people feel better. At the moment, my priority is the accurate calibration itself as opposed to creating an additional paperwork about it.

As I barf my lights out .......I can still rationally compute that Boris lays things out front - and his products will meet your needs for nearly your price of $50 ($65 or so for the ATD). As his web states, it will come checked/calibrated with a sticker. just talk to him and make your own determination on his products.

To me that seems to be more than Sears or any other supplier will do for that price range, and his CS is excellent. Why buy something else, then pay someone to calibrate it if $ is tight, or spend a few hundy on a tq analyzer.

http://www.borkatools.com/pages/atd644b/atd644b.html

As Sean stated, the 'new' is Borka, the 'old' standard is Seekonk.

I can honestly say that I have a "certified" Proto torque driver Its a fantastic tool that sits in its red box because I use one of three sets of Borka tools when working on my rifles, Why ?
Because I have everything I need in each of the bags to work on them without trying to find the right bit out in the garage.
That and one of them is always with me in my range bag.

Tell me someone's name from one of the other paper certified companies that you can call and talk to if you have any questions or issues. I know I can pick up the phone or email Boris direct and he'll take care of any questions or problems if they ever come up ( Which they haven't )

That's worth more in my book than an extra few bucks or paying $200 for another paper certified torque driver, That and the paper tears every time I try to torque anything with it.

Borka is what we stock and sell, based on the recommendation of Lowlight and the folks at RO. We've sold a good many and it is an elegant, practical, versatile and high quality kit.

We sold many Seekonks over the years and they are in my shop but they are heavy especially when you add up more than one for a field kit.

Scott

I have the Park Beam style wrenches and use them for action screws and installing rings to the bases. For those purposes they have done pretty well. They are no doubt not as nice as the Borka but I already had them on hand from working on bicycles. Borka is next since it is definately more accurate and portable. The beam wrenches will not fit in a stock pack for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can honestly say that I have a "certified" Proto torque driver Its a fantastic tool that sits in its red box because I use one of three sets of Borka tools when working on my rifles, Why ?
Because I have everything I need in each of the bags to work on them without trying to find the right bit out in the garage.
That and one of them is always with me in my range bag.

Tell me someone's name from one of the other paper certified companies that you can call and talk to if you have any questions or issues. I know I can pick up the phone or email Boris direct and he'll take care of any questions or problems if they ever come up ( Which they haven't )

That's worth more in my book than an extra few bucks or paying $200 for another paper certified torque driver, That and the paper tears every time I try to torque anything with it.</div></div>

+100,000,000

BORIS!!!FOR THE WIN!!!

Save your money unitl you can get a Borka. I did, until he had a group buy I couldn't pass up. I'm not sure why I waited so long. Now I carry the thig with me everyday!!!!

J

+1 on Borka

Used on for the first time a while back and now have a set on the way to my door as we speak.