• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Inch Pounds to Foot Pounds

base

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
so i can't seem to find an inexpensive torque wrench that measures inch pounds around me. i can of course find one in foot pounds. what is the conversion of inch pounds to foot pounds? thanks.

Re: Inch Pounds to Foot Pounds

It is much easier than it seems.
There are 12 inch pounds in 1 foot pound.
If you want the other way around...
There are .083 foot pounds in 1 inch pound.

http://www.unitconversion.org/energy/inch-pounds-to-foot-pounds-conversion.html

Google can be your friend too
laugh.gif

What is the torque rate you're wanting to apply? For large inch-lb values it's easy to get accurate torque from a ft-lb wrench, but typically when inch-lb's are called for it's because the value is too small to do with ft-lb's. For example, if 60 in-lb is the torque called for, that's only 5 ft-lb, which is less than most ft-lb wrenches will adjust down to.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the torque rate you're wanting to apply? For large inch-lb values it's easy to get accurate torque from a ft-lb wrench, but typically when inch-lb's are called for it's because the value is too small to do with ft-lb's. For example, if 60 in-lb is the torque called for, that's only 5 ft-lb, which is less than most ft-lb wrenches will adjust down to.

-matt </div></div>

+1 on Matt's comments! While you may be able to find a cheap craftsman or other ft/lb torque wrench locally, unless you can find one that accurately adjusts down to 1.5 ft/lbs to say 6 ft/lbs, you might as well not even bother.

Use the proper tool for the job you need done!

As for an "inexpensive" torque wrench in in/lbs, what is your budget range and maybe I/we can assist you in finding a suitable wrnech in your price range that you can order and have shipped to your door. I had to do the same thing since my "local" sources were trying to sell garbage that either wouldn't work for me or was of such low quality I didn't want to waste the money.

i really only need the wrench to mount my scope and stock to the action. the scope needs 50 inch pounds. don't know of anyone around me that has one for me to use. i know Midway sells the Fat Wrench for about $45 but like i said once i mount these 2 things up i'm good to go.

I have a Fat Wrench from Midway and I find it very useful. I use it to make sure everything is always torqued down correctly. I don't regret spending the money on it one bit, even though I am on a pretty tight budget. But if you don't want to buy a wrench then maybe you could go to a gunsmith and see if they will torque everything down accurately and correctly.

I would buy an inch pound torque wrench, you'd be surprised how much you use it the deeper you get in the sport of shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vegas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but like i said once i mount these 2 things up i'm good to go. </div></div>

Sorry...but this logic is just FLAWED!

What happens when you need to remove/reinstall your scope (either back onto the rifle's scope base or to remove/reinstall the scope into its rings) or remove/reinstall your barreled action from the stock? Go back to borrowing a wrench from someone? Go through this same search/quest again?

Just get it in your head that you will ALWAYS need a quality, reliable and repeatable torque wrench for any precision rifle application (and many, MANY other applications) now and in the future. Buy once, cry once.

You can get the Wheeler unit for <$45 + S&H (maybe slightly less if you use a discount code from MidwayUSA). There is also the Borka torque from Scott at Liberty Optics or Steve at Triad Tactical (or other Hide sponsoring vendors) which is an excellent, adjustble option for properly torquing down those items like scope ring cap screws, ring-to-base screws, action screws, etc. They run around $95.

50 in-lbs for a scope mount or rings sounds a tad high. From what I've seen, 10-20 in-pounds is typical for rings, and 15-25 for bases. Having done without a torque wrench for a long time before I finally bought one, I found that I was consistently over-torquing (to the point of visibly skewing the reticle on one scope). The Borka is a cool little tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50 in-lbs for a scope mount or rings sounds a tad high. From what I've seen, 10-20 in-pounds is typical for rings, and 15-25 for bases. Having done without a torque wrench for a long time before I finally bought one, I found that I was consistently over-torquing (to the point of visibly skewing the reticle on one scope). The Borka is a cool little tool. </div></div>

I think he's referring to rings to rail. 50-65in lbs is common.