• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

inconsistent seating depths hornady ELDX

Mtkrusmark

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2019
Akeley MN
hi guys I'm having an issue reloading.

I'm using a rockchucker single stage, rcbs competition dies set with micrometer seating die, hornady comparator, and 178gr eldx bullets.

when I am seating a bullet to 2.145 oal length using the comparator and I get it set in on one round. then next round will be off up to .010 either way from the desired spec. then I will get 3 or 4 bullets that will seat dead on to spec and then one off again. if i get one off, I can leave the die set where it is and just cycle the press again and it will get to spec.

I'm wondering what could cause this? I'm pretty methodical about my reloading process but I have not measured ogive length on every bullet.

thanks

I've been having this issue with the 143g eldx and 140g eldm for my 6.5 CM. I was using the whidden dies. I didnt know what to do so I inpulse baught a set of hornady custom grade dies and I'm consistent again.

I haven't shot the loads yet so cant recommend the dies yet....even if I did I'm sure I'd be crucified for it...so I'll just say my OAL are good now.

I also found I could better feel the bullet being seated with the hornady dies and I could feel big differences in neck tension. I never felt that with whidden dies. Not sure if its because the neckbeard was more consistent with the whidden dies or if the hornady dies just did a better job of letting me feel what was happening.

TLDR
I had the same issue and new dies fixed it.

thanks guys for the input. I searched the issue after being told this and RCBS had the answer in their frequently asked questions. I emailed them as they said they can make a VLD style seating plug for a minimal cost. I will keep you updated on what I find out

i have had this problem, try measuring base to ogive on your bullets, that was the answer to my problem, i had a lot of bullets that were not consistent and i had to sort them