• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Increasing the pull weight on the 2nd stage of a Geissele trigger?

Leicafan1990

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2022
USA
I recently picked up a pretty heavily discounted Geissele SSA-E-X Lighting Bow trigger. Even the discounted price of $215 is too much but at least that price is in line with other premium AR triggers.

Anyways, I’m really impressed with the trigger but I feel that the 2nd stage pull weight is just a little too light for my taste. I used two different pull gauges and the total pull weight averages around 2.8lbs. That puts the 2nd stage break somewhere around 1.0lbs which is crazy light. Honestly, its a little too light.

I’d like to slightly increase the pull weight of the 2nd stage break but not dramatically. I’d like to get it closer to 1.5lbs.

On Geissele triggers, which spring has the most effect on the pull weight of the 2nd stage break? Based on my understanding of the design, it looks like it would be the small spiral wound disconnector spring that sits under the disconnector.

I’m curious if other people have messed with swapping disconnector springs on the Geissele triggers and if that is the right approach to increase or decrease the pull weight of the 2nd stage specifically.

Do you ever make any effort to figure anything out for yourself, or are you just becoming the designated AskHole of the hide??

Try Googling AR Trigger Function and Operation instead of asking everyone on here to do your work for you.

Reactions: rpoL98
Do you ever make any effort to figure anything out for yourself, or are you just becoming the designated AskHole of the hide??

Try Googling AR Trigger Function and Operation instead of asking everyone on here to do your work for you.

Sheesh. If you don’t like the question, why did you bother replying to it? I did Google it and I’m not really finding anything specifically about trying different disconnector springs on Geissele triggers to tune the 2nd stage break. Most of the threads just focus on doing complete spring swaps between the SDE and SDC. And I don’t have disconnector springs from other Geissele triggers to try out and I don’t want to waste money buying a bunch of different springs sets from other G triggers only to find out it doesn’t really work. And I emailed Geissele about it first and they never emailed me back so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask here. I honestly don’t ask a question here unless I’m unsatisfied with the Google results. Sorry for wasting your time with my silly question 🙄.

Last edited:
Sheesh. If you don’t like the question, why did you bother replying to it? I did Google it and I’m not really finding anything specifically about trying different disconnector springs on Geissele triggers to tune the 2nd stage break. Most of the threads just focus on doing complete spring swaps between the SDE and SDC. And I don’t have disconnector springs from other Geissele triggers to try out and I don’t want to waste money buying a bunch of different springs sets from other G triggers only to find out it doesn’t really work. And I emailed Geissele about it first and they never emailed me back so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask here. I honestly don’t ask a question here unless I’m unsatisfied with the Google results. Sorry for wasting your time with my silly question 🙄.

Yes it's your disconnector spring, but keep in mind the springs all have to play with each other in harmony its a balancing Act, if you go to light on the disconnect spring you're going to have a mushy trigger break, if you go too light of a trigger spring you're going to have issues with reset. Geissele triggers pretty much all use the same weight Hammer Springs so you really don't have to worry about that so much.

Also you can't go and use any MIL Spec disconnector spring in your X trigger they utilize a larger diameter and length disconnector spring that is kind of a one off with the G-X line of triggers.

This is what you seek, it's $12.00 so I don't think it's going to brake the bank and 9 out of 10 times when you CALL Geissele they will just send you out replacement springs for free once you've explained your issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leicafan1990
Yes it's your disconnector spring, but keep in mind the springs all have to play with each other in harmony its a balancing Act, if you go to light on the disconnect spring you're going to have a mushy trigger break, if you go too light of a trigger spring you're going to have issues with reset. Geissele triggers pretty much all use the same weight Hammer Springs so you really don't have to worry about that so much.

Also you can't go and use any MIL Spec disconnector spring in your X trigger they utilize a larger diameter and length disconnector spring that is kind of a one off with the G-X line of triggers.

This is what you seek, it's $12.00 so I don't think it's going to brake the bank and 9 out of 10 times when you CALL Geissele they will just send you out replacement springs for free once you've explained your issue.

Apologies for the snark. This is very useful info. I had no idea the X trigger line has unique disconnector springs. I just assumed all their 2 stage triggers used the same size spring and the difference was the strength.

I’ll try out the SSA-X disconnector. Hopefully that will give a bit more pull weight on the 2nd stage. Luckily I’m going in the opposite direction trying to add a bit of weight so theoretically it shouldn’t have a negative impact on the crispness of the break.

I’m really nitpicking with this trigger. It’s very close to perfect but I’ve never had a 2nd stage break this light before. It just makes it a little hard to predict when it’s going to break. I know some people like a surprise break but I’m not one of them.

Please let us know thoughts and results with the SSA-X Gov. spring kit.
I also bought the same trigger ( on sale ) to try out.

I have tried a very light 2 stage trigger in a AR15, it was completely different then a SSA-E... I'd bet I could get used to it, but if I wasn't completely focused on the perfect trigger pull , I could see it doubling easily.

FWIW, I also ordered the spring kit.

I’ll update this thread with the results from the disconnector swap. I’m going to try the disconnector spring from the SSA-X.

For now, here are some pictures showing the effect of different finger positioning on the trigger bow. With your finger towards the bottom, you get a 2nd stage break around 13 oz. And if you shift your finger up towards the middle of the trigger bow, the pull weight on the 2nd stage jumps up to 1 lb. Moving your finger up a little adds about 0.5 lb to the first stage pull.

Overall, this is an excellent trigger. My only real gripe is the pull length of the first stage take-up. My other AR has a Wilson Combat TTU-M2 which has an extremely short first stage. It’s probably half as long as the Geissele SSA-E X. The break on the Geissele is much lighter though and I think it will be a better trigger for precision shooting.

A8FEDBC8-4E95-43E5-9043-973C0B232D2D.jpeg

1CA9931C-A2D5-4E76-9C4D-48F580FE7829.jpeg

Sell it, buy 2 MBTs with the proceeds and you'll still have enough left over for about 40 rounds of Razorcore.

I’ll update this thread with the results from the disconnector swap. I’m going to try the disconnector spring from the SSA-X.

For now, here are some pictures showing the effect of different finger positioning on the trigger bow. With your finger towards the bottom, you get a 2nd stage break around 13 oz. And if you shift your finger up towards the middle of the trigger bow, the pull weight on the 2nd stage jumps up to 1 lb. Moving your finger up a little adds about 0.5 lb to the first stage pull.

Overall, this is an excellent trigger. My only real gripe is the pull length of the first stage take-up. My other AR has a Wilson Combat TTU-M2 which has an extremely short first stage. It’s probably half as long as the Geissele SSA-E X. The break on the Geissele is much lighter though and I think it will be a better trigger for precision shooting.

View attachment 8159526

View attachment 8159527
Thank You

Sell it, buy 2 MBTs with the proceeds and you'll still have enough left over for about 40 rounds of Razorcore.
I have installed quite a few Larue MBT2s and they are no doubt a very good trigger as long as you like a total weight of over 4lbs. They are the best for the price out there. Larue makes good stuff. Through the years I have gotten to the point that I like about 1.5 first stage and 1.1 or so pound second stage. The kicker for me is having a trigger that I can adjust sear engagement on so I started using the High Speed National Match. The reason was that I had an SSA E that would double occasionally with stock springs. I talked to Geisslee and they sent heavier springs. Heavier springs helped but it would still occasionally double. What it really needed was just a bit more sear engagement. Likely an issue stemming from loose tolerances in the lower but the NM eliminated the issue. They are pricey so I generally wait for a sale. Some of my sons ARs have the Larue and several of my friends have asked me to install The Larue for them. Excellent trigger

Reactions: bfoosh006
I have installed quite a few Larue MBT2s and they are no doubt a very good trigger as long as you like a total weight of over 4lbs. They are the best for the price out there. Larue makes good stuff. Through the years I have gotten to the point that I like about 1.5 first stage and 1.1 or so pound second stage. The kicker for me is having a trigger that I can adjust sear engagement on so I started using the High Speed National Match. The reason was that I had an SSA E that would double occasionally with stock springs. I talked to Geisslee and they sent heavier springs. Heavier springs helped but it would still occasionally double. What it really needed was just a bit more sear engagement. Likely an issue stemming from loose tolerances in the lower but the NM eliminated the issue. They are pricey so I generally wait for a sale. Some of my sons ARs have the Larue and several of my friends have asked me to install The Larue for them. Excellent trigger

agreed, they are good triggers and offer more feedback on the 2nd stage but a little too much for my taste on my AR’s that i shoot for longer distances.

i do have an MBR on a LPVO equipped rifle and they are far better the the G2S trigger.

my only gripe is the lack of servicing the disco spring if needed.

Agreed. I have had the G2S but I have phased them out on all but my 5.56 and have HS National Match triggers on all of my Grendel's and the 308. I have a Super 700 on one of my bolt guns and it is excellent as well. For depredation most of my shots are well over 200 yards and like you say I get a little too much feedback in the second stage from the MBT2 or other Geisslee. The NM is pricey but it definitely improves my groups so I don't mind the expense.