• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Indiana deer gun hunting regulations

NVP

Minuteman
Oct 17, 2006
Indiana
So I want a new rifle, here a the limitations.

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a mini mum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearm sea son. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, and .500 S&W.

Any suggestions?

Re: Indiana deer gun hunting regulations

Pretty easy to find rifles in .44 magnum and out of the list its one of the more affordable entries. Deer don't hold up well against any of the cartridges you list, they will all be adequate so it comes down to personal preference or avaliability.

I've been giving some serious thought to the Puma leveractions in 44 or 454. Could also go with a new muzzle loader as well.

You can also go with a hand gun chambered in the high powered rounds also. I use a Puma 45C rifle and have had good results with it.

The "Bounty Hunter"?

I grew up in Indiana and always thought that not allowing rifles for deer hunting is ridiculous. If I were hunting in Indiana these days, I'd go with a 458 SOCOM upper if you've got an AR laying around. Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NVP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "Bounty Hunter"? </div></div>
No not the Bounty Hunter.Puma 8 + 1 45 Long Colt w/16" Barrel. Stainless Steel
Got it a couple years ago down at the gun show in Ft Wayne. Paid a little over 400 for it. Very happy with it.

2 cents appreciated. Legba, what loads are you usin? Factory or reloads?

I use factory loads. Don't shoot it alot. My father likes to borrow it all the time. Damn kids.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">358 BFG? </div></div>

Yep, that would be my choice! WSSM / trimmed and necked-up to .358
180's close to 2800 fps and 200;s over 2600 fps...

So wait, this is my first time looking at the 358 BFG. Do you chamber it in an SA rifle? Or is it a T/C cartridge? Have any of you used this yet?

Hello,

The local gun store, Bass and Bucks here in Wabash County Indiana, is a Savage dealer. Last year they had Savages chambered in the .358WSSM, or .358 BFG as I guess ya'll are calling it here.

It was designed to duplicate the ballistics of the .358 WSM.

Josh

If you've got an AR-15, DTECH can build you an upper that's legal and will slap right on you lower...
LINKY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So wait, this is my first time looking at the 358 BFG. Do you chamber it in an SA rifle? Or is it a T/C cartridge? Have any of you used this yet? </div></div>

I don't live or hunt in Indiana, but I am a test dummy for the local gunsmith which is also my best friend. When Indiana changed some regulations a few years back, he built one of these on a Browning A-Bolt based on a trimmed and necked-up 25 WSSM case. With a Adams and Bennett barrel (cheapo, laying around the shop) and only a few powder choices 1 MOA accuracy and the above stated velocities were obtainable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I grew up in Indiana and always thought that not allowing rifles for deer hunting is ridiculous. If I were hunting in Indiana these days, I'd go with a 458 SOCOM upper if you've got an AR laying around. Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

+1

I run one with reloads. 300 gr Barnes TTSX and a pinch of Lil Gun and i'm gettin 1991 fps. Groups at 100 are about 1.5 moa and drops 38" at 300 yds. Several weeks ago I shot a 4 shot group just under 5 iches at 300 with that load. Ya sure a 358 would be nice if ur hunting in open areas but with the cost of a build (not that a socom upper is cheap) and all that brass prep... I slam the SHIT out of deer with my 458.

there are a few 358 variations. none really shine over the other. most are slight diffrences in the neck size.

id contact aj brown. if you are thinking of having one built he seams to be the resident expert. i think he recomends the 358 idc (indiana deer cartrige) but im not sure if that has changed since they changed the limit from 1.6 to 1.8 this year

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

id contact aj brown. if you are thinking of having one built he seams to be the resident expert. i think he recomends the 358 idc (indiana deer cartrige) but im not sure if that has changed since they changed the limit from 1.6 to 1.8 this year </div></div>

I don't think they've changed 1.625 to 1.8 yet... if they ever will. I've heard that the State Government jumped all over the DNR's plans to change shit. ALOT of folks (including I) HATED their ideas of changing the season/s. Before you doing anything, i'd wait to see what they're gona do first. LOL I'd hate to see you buy or build something to find out it won't fly with our shitty ass regs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

id contact aj brown. if you are thinking of having one built he seams to be the resident expert. i think he recomends the 358 idc (indiana deer cartrige) but im not sure if that has changed since they changed the limit from 1.6 to 1.8 this year </div></div>

I don't think they've changed 1.625 to 1.8 yet... if they ever will. I've heard that the State Government jumped all over the DNR's plans to change shit. ALOT of folks (including I) HATED their ideas of changing the season/s. Before you doing anything, i'd wait to see what they're gona do first. LOL I'd hate to see you buy or build something to find out it won't fly with our shitty ass regs. </div></div>

Still says this on IN. DNR:
Rifles with pistol cartridges
Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches.

Just a thought: Slug guns are just as valid as they ever were, if not more so.

Manufacturers are starting to realize these second- and third-generation slugs need faster twists and sub-moa 100 yard groups.

I got out of slug gunning and deer hunting due to the expense of the stuff anymore. Slugs and tags are outrageous, IMO. So I've not tested this for myself. But I've seen folks shoot them.

If I do get back into this and go the slug route, I will be going with a bolt action 12 gauge.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I don't think they've changed 1.625 to 1.8 yet... if they ever will. I've heard that the State Government jumped all over the DNR's plans to change shit. ALOT of folks (including I) HATED their ideas of changing the season/s. Before you doing anything, i'd wait to see what they're gona do first. LOL I'd hate to see you buy or build something to find out it won't fly with our shitty ass regs. </div></div>

Still the old regs. The 1.8 is on the list for proposed changes and won't take effect until 2011
http://www.in.gov/portal/news_events/55801.htm

If you are the average 100-ish yard shooter, no reason to go any further than a 44Mag.

For longer ranges, I built a .45cal smokeless muzzleloader, and will eventually get around to a 358 BFG or equivalent.

A 44 mag or a 454 Casull will properly anchor any deer in Indiana. Have lever action rifles and pistols in each cartridge and both are great deer rounds

Well I went out yesterday to Dicks and picked up a Puma lever action m92 in 44. I've read good and bad about these little guns but I thought I'd give one a try. For $399 I can't go to wrong. I'll let everyone know my thoughts on this when I have a chance to get out.

Thanks for all of suggestions. I do want to look more in to that 358 round or talk to someone about the smokeless savage muzzle loaders.