• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Indiana Long Range Shooting Ranges

Allenvdb

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
Michigan
Hey everyone,

I am not sure if this a good forum to post this in or not. But I was wondering if here are an long range shooters from Indiana that could point a new resident to a good shooting range that can at least go out to 5-600 yards preferably 1000. I am moving to the Indianapolis area just south of Carmel and would like to find a range within a reasonable driving distance (1-1.5hrs). I have been getting into long range shooting and would like to continue down there. I know of Young's but that is quite a drive for some after work evening shooting. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Allen.

Young's and one other gun club in Fort Wayne, which require memberships, or join the matches at Atterbury. That's about it. I'm not aware of any other public ranges over 100 yards, which makes me happy with 300 out my back door.

I know of Youngs already, from what I have seen it seems like a great range but for a 2.5 hr drive and a $300 membership it is not quite worth it. I was hoping there might be a place closer to Indy. I guess I will have to find a farmer to buddy up with and get access to their fields haha. I will look at Atterbury.

Allen, you're a lucky guy. We're less than an hour from you:www.cihprs.org

We shoot at least two weekends a month, generally both days.

We have 12x electronic targets in use from 200 through 1,000 yards on one of 3x conventional 50 point military ranges. Preparations are currently being made to get steel in use from 1,100 yards through 2,400, and hypothetically the Army is going forward with extending KD-3 back to 2,700.

Range KD-6 was the host of your NRA National Rifle Championships last year. As you'd expect, it is quite nice.

Camp Atterbury Joint Maneuver Training Area (CAJMTC) is also what it sounds like: active military training base. If you're into that kinda thing, we have 105mm practice, satchel charge use, paratroopers dropping from Ft. Campbell, sniper teams and elements training from many military and LE units, occasional A10 runs, aerial night maneuvers, machine gun ranges...

...you get the idea. Great ambiance. Just don't drive around willy nilly. :)

East of the Mississippi...you can't do much better unless you own it.

Last edited:
natdscott, is the range only open those weekends for competition? Or are these just casual shooting weekends to get together and shoot long range? If it is casual I would definitely be interested in joining. I am not quite at the competition level yet but would like to get there.

Thanks, Allen.

The range is never closed, but civilians can't just BE there without a reason or group. We also have to reserve given ranges and dates early in the year.

So no, you can't just go practice when you want. It will need to be match weekends.

However...and it's a big 'however'...our matches do not constitute a particularly formal competitive atmosphere. It's really up to you how you want to view it...WE will not be applying pressure to you, if that's what you're asking? Most of us are very approachable and have a lot of knowledge to help a new guy. Just don't be a dick and keep the gun pointed south. :)

The range is never closed, but civilians can't just BE there without a reason or group. We also have to reserve given ranges and dates early in the year.

So no, you can't just go practice when you want. It will need to be match weekends.

However...and it's a big 'however'...our matches do not constitute a particularly formal competitive atmosphere. It's really up to you how you want to view it...WE will not be applying pressure to you, if that's what you're asking? Most of us are very approachable and have a lot of knowledge to help a new guy. Just don't be a dick and keep the gun pointed south. :)

Thanks man, when I get settled in I will probably reach out to you to come check things out. I would really like to find a group to shoot with.

FWIW last year I just showed up and shot the 600 and 1000 yard matches with my hunting rifle. Learned a lot and it was a pleasant enough group that I built a competition rig over the winter.

Wrung out my 338 Edge elk rifle in the 1000-2000 yard match...real shame we don't have that one anymore.

@natdscott - Is there a good way to get on a newsletter, email list, facebook group, or anyway to keep up with events at Atterbury? I want to find a place to shoot more than a few hundred yards. I'm new to the game. I'm going to go up to Bass and Bucks to check my rifle/ammo/calculator etc. before heading to a match. I'd like to get more information though. I figure the best way to learn is to jump in with both feet. I'm specifically interested in the midrange 600-800 yard events to start out.

@natdscott - Is there a good way to get on a newsletter, email list, facebook group, or anyway to keep up with events at Atterbury? I want to find a place to shoot more than a few hundred yards. I'm new to the game. I'm going to go up to Bass and Bucks to check my rifle/ammo/calculator etc. before heading to a match. I'd like to get more information though. I figure the best way to learn is to jump in with both feet. I'm specifically interested in the midrange 600-800 yard events to start out.
Shoot me a PM. And if you’re within a couple inches of zero at 100, we can get you on the paper at 1,000 pretty easily.

If @natdscott invites you to shoot at Atterbury, TAKE HIM UP ON IT.

He's a personal acquaintance. I can assure you he's a hell of a nice guy (as is pretty much all of the CIHPRS crowd) and even more of a hell of a rifle shooter.

Set your ego and expectations surrounding the word "match" aside and go shoot. You'll thank me later.

Reactions: oneshot86
youngs is defintely worth it. Lots of steel every hundred yards. they are a members only range that does not close for matches (there are none), LE or military use. been a member for 6 years. 2nd year goes down to $200. i drive almost 3 hrs to get there. with weather, work, kids, life its good that you can go there anytime and its open. sun up to sundown. sundays start at noon.

Hillside in Roanoke, Indiana, basically Fort Wayne is where I shoot and fortunately only live about 5 minutes from that range. They have steel at incriments out to 1000 yards just have to get qualified out to distance with an R.O. before you can shoot past 200yds.

Reactions: 308pirate
If @natdscott invites you to shoot at Atterbury, TAKE HIM UP ON IT. He's a personal acquaintance. I can assure you he's a hell of a nice guy (as is pretty much all of the CIHPRS crowd) and even more of a hell of a rifle shooter.

Thanks! I'm not sure I deserve all of that, but I try to be nicer in person than I am on the internet.

And you're 100% right about the word "match".

Nobody shoots back at rifle matches, so YOU are the only person applying any pressure to yourself...it's all in your head.

Reactions: Scttschnd
Allen, you're a lucky guy. We're less than an hour from you:www.cihprs.org

We shoot at least two weekends a month, generally both days.

We have 12x electronic targets in use from 200 through 1,000 yards on one of 3x conventional 50 point military ranges. Preparations are currently being made to get steel in use from 1,100 yards through 2,400, and hypothetically the Army is going forward with extending KD-3 back to 2,700.

Range KD-6 was the host of your NRA National Rifle Championships last year. As you'd expect, it is quite nice.

Camp Atterbury Joint Maneuver Training Area (CAJMTC) is also what it sounds like: active military training base. If you're into that kinda thing, we have 105mm practice, satchel charge use, paratroopers dropping from Ft. Campbell, sniper teams and elements training from many military and LE units, occasional A10 runs, aerial night maneuvers, machine gun ranges...

...you get the idea. Great ambiance. Just don't drive around willy nilly. :)

East of the Mississippi...you can't do much better unless you own it.

Where are you located? I called Camp Atterbury and they said no civilians unless a member of a swat team. I just want to try out my 1918 built Springfield 1903 and my 6.5 creedmoor. I'm bored with the 300 meter range in Martinsville. I'm a 67 yr old disabled veteran and my son usually shoots with me.

Where are you located? I called Camp Atterbury and they said no civilians unless a member of a swat team. I just want to try out my 1918 built Springfield 1903 and my 6.5 creedmoor. I'm bored with the 300 meter range in Martinsville. I'm a 67 yr old disabled veteran and my son usually shoots with me.
There will be a 12 or 1500 meter range opening in the spring in Connersville. I dont have a lot of details yet but will post as soon as available. C’ville is about 1.5 to 2 hours east of you. Although the Atterburry things sounds like fun even aor a rookie like me.
Rad

There will be a 12 or 1500 meter range opening in the spring in Connersville. I dont have a lot of details yet but will post as soon as available. C’ville is about 1.5 to 2 hours east of you. Although the Atterburry things sounds like fun even aor a rookie like me.
Rad
Plinker,
Any additional details or updates? Will it be open to public/members only/LE + mil only?
TIA

Plinker,
Any additional details or updates? Will it be open to public/members only/LE + mil only?
TIA
If you will send me your email i will forward a flier they sent me. It will be open to the public with a fee. They may work out a membership deal.
Rad

Reactions: Pressman79