• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

indoor pellet gun

cp3head

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2010
Pennsylvania
I have read several posts on here and I still haven't found what I am looking for. I am looking for a CO2 powered pellet rifle, that is not loud. It does not have to go 1500 fps, etc. I want to have a quiet/accurate air gun to shoot in the basement. It will not be used for pest control. I do want it to be scoped. It seems like that limits options. Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Max price I am looking to spend is $500 (with scope). Thanks in advance.

Re: indoor pellet gun

1500fps in a air pistol is delusion.
Real pellets MAY make 600fps.
CO2 is loud.
All of the Umarex CO2 guns are toys, I are junk, some on the single shot Crosmon are good to $150-200.

Look at the Russian IZH-46, a single pneumatic .177 match gun, under $500, and true match trigger; you have to spent $1200-1500 to get a better gun, and interval will small.
425-450fps, all in in the same hole.
Steel, match sights.
http://www.airgundepot.com/izh46m.html
This what air pistol shooters who some don't have $1500 for a German or a Italian gun.

TAU-7 CO2 used.

i'm not any type of airgun hobbyist, so i do have a question topic related.

after looking here (which seems to be the place to browse, thanks frog5215):
http://www.airgundepot.com/bbpelletguns.html

looking at several of the models models available between 900-1200+ fps range and the prices on them, why wouldn't one just get a .22 capable of utilizing shorts, or cb, cb long, or aguila SSS ammo, then have the option of using all the other types of .22 ammo?

granted in a basement setting, perhaps ventilation and lead exposure (although slight) may be a factor, and perhaps price of pellets vs. .22 ammo is a factor (i may have answered my own question). i believe a in a few countries, a top shelf air rifle is more obtainable than even a .22, so they make do with what they CAN get.

i can see that getting a good air rifle setup for air rifle competition and practicing with it in the basement. but for the price of a decent air rifle that is consistant and that is a step above a "toy" it seems to be priced in that savage mkii F model range, so why not go with a .22?

is there any additional or comparable "lead exposure" from 8ish gr premium pellet cruising at 1200 fps compared to a 29ish gr cb ammo slugging at 800fps?

is an accidental richochet any more dangerous between the 2?

i know / understand air rifles have come light years away from the ol days, and are actually now quite lethal, consistant, and accurate than ever before, but as a practicing platform, are they worth it vs. a rimfire?

realistic air rifle effective distance / groups for target?

understand i'm not trying to knock an "adult" air rifle, just somewhat interested in them and the above questions are genuine.

while the subject is at hand, there are several types (spring piston, gas spring, CO2, single pump, multi pump, single stroke pneumatics) available.

what would be the most convienant, economic, repeatable / consistant to own as a basement / backyard plinker?

another airgun site http://www.pyramydair.com/air-rifles/

i have to say out of all the rifles i've owned or still own the old crosman 2100 (back in the day i think it was 7600) is my all time favorite!
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_2100_B/226

These are all of the same questions that i have been tossing around. My number one concern would be lead exposure from a .22 rifle. I was just talking to the local gunstore guy last night before I posted this about the pros/cons of a silenced .22 vs an air rifle.

this could be a long string of posts, bordering on an epic thread. of course ol' grumpy will be by to bash the airgun stuff, you you have to admit, some of these newer airguns are quite impressive, and may warrant serious conversation.

i did have a half assed idea last year of putting in a range downstairs (either .22 or air rifle), and thought about the lead / ricochet angle. i figured a shop vac or even a fan hooked up and directed outside, to a dryer hose leading to plywood box for the muzzle could take care of the ventilation, i think....

not worried about my sperm or lungs and lead, i just just don't want my kid exposed to it on purpose, that is if there is enough to even worry about.

i also figured one of those .22 cal bullet traps would work fine with some additional layers of plywood behind it as an oops backstop.

after using my good ol crossman 10 pumper in the yard this year as a practice for smallbore silhouette, i've noticed that the lead in the pellets are so soft they splatter instantly against 1/16" metal plate easily. perhaps there is less of a ricochet hazard than i think, but this was from a low FPS rifle, and somewhat cheap pellets.

<span style="font-weight: bold">scratch one thing i said before---- some of the prices on that one site are equal to a 40X build!!</span>

I'm partial to Gamo's, I've had good luck with my Big Cat but its a little on the loud side for an air rifle though. You might wanna consider something like the Gamo Recon, or if you don't mind something a little faster the crossman titan series with the nitro piston are pretty nice and are really quiet, my brother has .22cal one and loves it and would shoot it in the garage all the time.

Check out archer airguns CAR78a. It is stupid accurate for the price and he is actually local to me. Its not the quietest air rifle but its far from loud either. I feel for the price and the accuracy you get out of it its a pretty big win in my book. the CAR78a is a tuned version of the QB78 series of rifles which have a HUGE following and a nice selection of aftermarket parts if you were so inclined to modify it.

Here is a link http://www.archerairguns.com/CAR78a-Chinese-Air-Rifle-p/aacar78a.htm

I'm partial to the Benjamin Marauder as one of the leaders in the "bang for the buck" category; if you're only target shooting in the basement you can dial the power way down to say 8 ft/lbs and get more shots per fill. They're nice and quiet too. The Marauders are consistent and accurate rifles.

You could also poke around for a used Talon SS with a CO2 kit; that should be right about your budget. They're not bad rifles but I prefer the Marauder.

Unfortunately for any precharged rifle you'll need to purchase support equipment (bottles, fill adapters, etc) and line up a place to have the bottles filled.

If you're not into support equipment for filling the precharged rifles that means a totally self contained air rifle might be a better option such as a springer or gas ram. I much prefer gas ram rifles to springers-- they're smoother and easier on optics. Theoben makes some excellent gas ram rifles but they're approaching 3X your budget just for the rifle. For substantially less the Benjamin or Crosman Nitro Piston rifles aren't too bad. For springers I'm partial to the RWS rifles with the railed actions and also the Beeman HW97.

I'm sure there are other good options out there but I'm not too well-versed in the market at the price point you're looking in. I'd suggest posting your question here, it's one of the best air rifle forums out there...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

When it comes to air propelled projectiles I blast away with this thing. <span style="font-style: italic">Highly</span> recommended, but more than most are willing to spend on an air rifle.

matador.jpg

I have a Crossman Challenger 2000 that I used to use for across the garage shooting. It's C02 and has an adjustable 3 position type stock. It's even got a rail in the forearm for a hand stop. Dovetail for the rear sight. Not sure if it's made anymore. I think I paid $400 10 years ago or so.

http://my.tbaytel.net/coopers/CrosCH2000/

If it ever stops working I"m going to inlet it for a single shot .22 LR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Crossman Challenger 2000 that I used to use for across the garage shooting. It's C02 and has an adjustable 3 position type stock. It's even got a rail in the forearm for a hand stop. Dovetail for the rear sight. Not sure if it's made anymore. I think I paid $400 10 years ago or so.

http://my.tbaytel.net/coopers/CrosCH2000/

If it ever stops working I"m going to inlet it for a single shot .22 LR. </div></div>

The Challenger is still around and a good option...

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_Challenger_PCP_CO2_Rifle_No_Sights/1927

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they're smoother and easier on optics.
</div></div>

i've heard that air guns (springers) are the toughest on optics, even tougher than centerfires. i was told it's due to the FORWARD recoil of the spring along with the rearward recoil that send optics askew as most optics makers concentrate on the rearward "shock".

don't know if it's true or not.

Sorry, RIFLE!! My stoke, again.

I said for pistol.

Get used RWS or FBW match gun.

A 600 fps gun fits the bill ( hell, we shoot to 45yd at silhouette).
An 800-1200fps gun (bullshit, try a chrony, well will show you 1200fps) is noisy and splatters the pellets.

Look and you will find a match gun.

An 18 ft/lbs gun springer isn't with a shit in a house.

OP wants for paper for trigger time.

CPC guns (SCUBA) are great, the set up is another $200.

Actually the QB CO2 OK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm partial to the Benjamin Marauder as one of the leaders in the "bang for the buck" category; if you're only target shooting in the basement you can dial the power way down to say 8 ft/lbs and get more shots per fill. They're nice and quiet too. The Marauders are consistent and accurate rifles.

You could also poke around for a used Talon SS with a CO2 kit; that should be right about your budget. They're not bad rifles but I prefer the Marauder.

Unfortunately for any precharged rifle you'll need to purchase support equipment (bottles, fill adapters, etc) and line up a place to have the bottles filled.

If you're not into support equipment for filling the precharged rifles that means a totally self contained air rifle might be a better option such as a springer or gas ram. I much prefer gas ram rifles to springers-- they're smoother and easier on optics. Theoben makes some excellent gas ram rifles but they're approaching 3X your budget just for the rifle. For substantially less the Benjamin or Crosman Nitro Piston rifles aren't too bad. For springers I'm partial to the RWS rifles with the railed actions and also the Beeman HW97.

I'm sure there are other good options out there but I'm not too well-versed in the market at the price point you're looking in. I'd suggest posting your question here, it's one of the best air rifle forums out there...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

When it comes to air propelled projectiles I blast away with this thing. <span style="font-style: italic">Highly</span> recommended, but more than most are willing to spend on an air rifle.

matador.jpg

</div></div>

RWS 850. LDCs are available, they can be tweeked, and there is even a coat hanger 2 stage trigger trick for them. I love shooting mine, just wish that it was HPA already. Shooting the thing in the cold isn't good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cp3head</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read several posts on here and I still haven't found what I am looking for. I am looking for a CO2 powered pellet rifle, that is not loud. It does not have to go 1500 fps, etc. I want to have a quiet/accurate air gun to shoot in the basement. It will not be used for pest control. I do want it to be scoped. It seems like that limits options. Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Max price I am looking to spend is $500 (with scope). Thanks in advance. </div></div>

From my past experience with their springers "for the money" I would get one of these as far as a C02 rifle.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Tech_Force_TF79_Thumbhole_Stock/2328

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Tech_Force_TF79_Competition_Rifle/2326

A used FWB 300 would be awesome. It's an older Olympic match spring rifle.

Warning! If you ever get a PCP airgun,life will never be the same. Here's a indoor 12 shot 51Y group shot with my wifes USFT. Take those 3 outside shots off and it's a 1/4"

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00110.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cp3head</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for a CO2 powered pellet rifle, that is not loud. It does not have to go 1500 fps, etc. I want to have a quiet/accurate air gun to shoot in the basement. It will not be used for pest control. I do want it to be scoped. It seems like that limits options. Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Max price I am looking to spend is $500 (with scope). Thanks in advance. </div></div>

Some facts for you:

CO2 IS loud in the airgun world.
CO2 does NOT generate anything even close to 1000 fps.
CO2 is temperature sensitive.

My personal pick would have been RWS/Hammerli AirMagnum 850.
http://wop.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/show.pl?cmd_category=show&category_id=11

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've heard that air guns (springers) are the toughest on optics, even tougher than centerfires. i was told it's due to the FORWARD recoil of the spring along with the rearward recoil that send optics askew as most optics makers concentrate on the rearward "shock".

don't know if it's true or not.</div></div>

All true. Most scopes are not designed to withstand bi-directional recoil, torque, and side-to-side vibration of the spring-piston powerplant. Some springers are gentle on scopes, some are simply brutal.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It sounds like maybe I should rethink the CO2 thing related to noise. I was thinking CO2 so that I could maintain my prone position instead of figuring out how to cock a break barrel from prone. I do need a air rifle that is fairly quiet, as I want to shoot it in my basement. Keep the input coming.

wow that was all some great info. ive been thinking bout putting an indoor range in my basement to practice my prone and sitting position along with offhand. could you guys recomend an air rifle that mite have a peep type site

For what you are looking to do, simple, not too expensive, and high quality I would say look at a Beeman R7 in 177. It is low power 600 ish fps, very accurate and pretty quiet.

I have one set up with a Mendoza diopter sight. Its perfect for punching paper, and costs next to nothing to shoot. I bought a used/tuned R7 for $400.

Also research "silent pellet trap" , build one, and you will be set. I cheated and just packed duct seal in an ammo can.

I have never grown out of the air rifle stage. It just got more expensive.

Beeman is where I'd look, and unless you want to get into the $1K and up neighborhood you should research springers. CO2 is a pain in the ass , and PCP is spendy (but worth it).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanx i will check that out. has anyone tried the avanti?
</div></div>

I haven't tried one but it's basically a $400 dolled up POS Daisy or Crossmn.

For that price you can get a nice used pellet rifle.

S/CZ 200

http://www.topgun-airguns.com/rifles-fromCZ.html

Not sure, my reasearch suggests they occasionally get sold on Gunbroker. Marksman Model 1790 Biathlon trainer. It is a break-open single shot piston air rifle, velocities are not great, but the rifled barrel is very accuracte with lead pellets.

A few comments. The sights are plastic with a rubber eye cup. They do a good job of aiming. Adjustment uses a sliding arrangement with a lockdown scew for both E & W.

The trigger is nice, but with significant wear become atrocious. That's the weak point with these rifles. Some research will uncover ways to fix that. I live with the problem with mine; it just makes me more aware of trigger control issues.

Greg

There are a bunch of places to buy quality pneumatics online. Check out straightshooters.com for new gear.

and the classifieds on this board http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/
For deals on used. There is all you could ever want to know available on that yello forum or the links on the home page.

Qulity used gear is a great way to get into air rifles. It is great to be able to shoot a few times a week in the yard if you dont have access to a range.

May I suggest the Benjamin Marauder in .177 or .22

Both are very quiet for indoor or backyard shooting and will still pack a punch.

Here is mine:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/MarkinAZ/Marauderstockupdate8110001.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/MarkinAZ/Marauderstockupdate8110004.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/MarkinAZ/Marauderstockupdate8110003.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/MarkinAZ/Marauderstockupdate8110002.jpg

The stock is a direct copy of the AI-AW stock but worked in wood. I made a few of them (CNC router) and had Steve123 oggling over it a number of times.

I shoot mine inside (10m) when the weather is too hot outside. I can also shoot up to 30 feet on my back patio without the neighbors knowing that I am even there. Again, ask Steve123 for verification. He has shot this gun also.

Today's top end air rifles can and do shoot MOA groups at 100 yards, but we typically shoot them in Field Target competition from 10 yards out to 55 yards. It would be excellent practice for rimfire or big bore rifle shooting.

IF you are using an air rifle for trigger practice, go with a pneumatic, either precharged or pump-up. The spring piston guns will drive you crazy unless you perfect your technique with them. Also don't be afraid to spend the money on them. They are well worth the investment. Buying used is also a good option as these barrels never wear out.

Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarkinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is mine:

The stock is a direct copy of the AI-AW stock but worked in wood. I made a few of them (CNC router) and had Steve123 oggling over it a number of times.</div></div>

Nice work on the AI-Marauder stock. Makes me want to pickup a tuned Marauder and your stock to keep my EDgun company...

Your Edgun is a sweet looking piece also.

I have seen that posted several times on the yellow forum. It would be nice if they started to become available again in the states.

Steve123's USFT is also a nice piece. He has gotten me by a point on each of the shoot-offs that we shot together.

I think that if a lot of these guys had the exposure to air rifles, there would be a lot more of them being used, either as practice for big bore or in actual competition themselves. They are quiet, they are very inexpensive to shoot, and the are accurate.

The EDguns are trickling into the US again, Tony says the new R3's are about a 6 month wait right now. I'm debating if I want to keep my current standard length .22 R2 which works amazingly well, order a new standard length .22 R3 and sell my current one, or get a long .25 cal R3 to go with my standard .22 R2.

The .25 is great for power & wind bucking but the shot count is down compared to the .22, the guns overall length is up, and at 75ish ft/lbs it's way overkill for target work but great for hunting. The .22 is a great mix of power and shot count for hunting and target practice (70 or so shots at 33-34 ft/lbs) and the standard length is really handy.

They are nice, that is for sure.

I should get one to add to my airsenal, along with an FX Royale 400. Then someday maybe a Rapid, etc, etc, etc.

I get more fun, enjoyment, trigger time with my airguns than I do with my powderburners.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarkinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May I suggest the Benjamin Marauder in .177 or .22

Both are very quiet for indoor or backyard shooting and will still pack a punch.

Here is mine:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/MarkinAZ/Marauderstockupdate8110004.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/MarkinAZ/Marauderstockupdate8110003.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/MarkinAZ/Marauderstockupdate8110002.jpg

The stock is a direct copy of the AI-AW stock but worked in wood. I made a few of them (CNC router) and had Steve123 oggling over it a number of times.

I shoot mine inside (10m) when the weather is too hot outside. I can also shoot up to 30 feet on my back patio without the neighbors knowing that I am even there. Again, ask Steve123 for verification. He has shot this gun also.

Today's top end air rifles can and do shoot MOA groups at 100 yards, but we typically shoot them in Field Target competition from 10 yards out to 55 yards. It would be excellent practice for rimfire or big bore rifle shooting.

IF you are using an air rifle for trigger practice, go with a pneumatic, either precharged or pump-up. The spring piston guns will drive you crazy unless you perfect your technique with them. Also don't be afraid to spend the money on them. They are well worth the investment. Buying used is also a good option as these barrels never wear out.

Hope this helps. </div></div>

Hi Mark,

Good to see you posting here on the Hide!

Yep,your custom AIAW/Marauder is a truly unique air rifle. All tuned up and accurate as can be.

Cool...us airgun shooters need to stick together and push these modern PCP's. If they only knew what they were missing ,aye?

Once you figure out how to post IMG's please start your own topic about your AIAW FT rifle/trainer. The powder burner guys refer to rimfires and airguns as trainers to practice for centerfire.

I use Aguila super calibri in my Remington 513T for shooting in the house or back yard, it is less noise than my air rifles with longer distance and better accuracy. The only thing you hear is the projectile hitting the target.
A couple of old towels folded up and stuffed into a box will keep them from going through the box.
Just a suggestion, cheap and you get to use your favorite 22.

I have an RWS Model 75 I will sell you within your budget. Great side cocker springer. A great Match rifle for its day. PM me if interested.

Looks just like this.

indoorrange004.jpg

So, if I go with PCP, I need to get a pump or a CO2 setup to fill the tank. What kind of money I am looking at for a CO2 setup? The pumps look like they are around $160 and most of them don't get good reviews. Anybody have experience with this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cp3head</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, if I go with PCP, I need to get a pump or a CO2 setup to fill the tank. What kind of money I am looking at for a CO2 setup? The pumps look like they are around $160 and most of them don't get good reviews. Anybody have experience with this? </div></div>

The best thing to do by far is to get a scuba tank. Buy a used one or borrow one if need be. 4200-4500 PSI tanks are preferable but not necessary. You can get them filled at dive shops,paint ball stores(CO2 also), or if you have a fireman buddy that owes you a favor he can get it filled at work. It cost's me about $22 a year to fill my 4200 PSI tank 3 times which works out to 7000-8000 pellets for my various PCP's from 5 ftlbs of energy up to 35 ftlbs. I have one rifle and one pistol that get 150 shots per one fill. When you've shot 150 shots you're starting to get tired.

Pumping sucks.

The FX 4 stage pump and the Hill pump are about the only good hand pumps out there... and pumping sucks. I have an FX pump I used early on and keep on hand for backup. The important thing to remember is that heat kills the pump seals so you need to take a break every couple of minutes to let the pump cool and also crack the bleed valve to drain the moisture trap in the pump.

3000psi scuba tanks work well but after a few fills the pressure is down and you're short filling the rifle. However, scuba tanks are typically cheaper than higher pressure SCBA tanks and it's easier to find shops with 3000psi compressors compared to 4500 psi compressors. A SCUBA tank is much better than pumping.

Better still are 300 bar (4500psi) SCUBA or SCBA tanks; you can fill the gun from a 300bar tank more before needing to refill the tank because of the higher pressure of the 300bar tanks.

I started with a 4-stage FX pump, then picked up a 3000psi SCUBA tank to do the bulk fill and then did the final top offs with the FX pump, and I now fill from a cascade setup with 3 44cf 4500psi SCBA bottles... Much better! The cascade setup is great. While one of the bottles is now so low to be nearly useless unless I run the guns way low on air I'm still getting full fills from cascading the remaining two tanks-- and I haven't had to refill the bottles in over a year.

I used a Hill pump to start with and quickly exchanged for an FX 3 stage pump which was much easier. I used that for a number of years with no problem. Pump for a few minutes and take a short break.

I would only let my gun drop in pressure about 30 shots before I refilled. It doesn't take that long to refill that way and you don't get so worn out by really draining it.

I also have an FX 4 stage pump, but have not used it yet. I managed to pick up 2) 4500 psi carbon fiber Scott tanks; used FD issue and haven't had to pump since.

My 11yr old and I use a RWS 48 Diana for 10 meters in the basement. Iron sights and all. We have had hours of enjoyment and marksmanship practice.

I shot through an aluminum sheet i can't remember the thickness, but definitely more than 4x thinker than an aluminum can, with my browning 800 magnum (spring) and RWS superpoints... (around 600 - 700 ft/sec) so that's probably too much unless you have a block of wood in the back. You're probably gonna have to look for something with 100 - 300fps??? I would think it also depends on size of your basement and if it's finished or not as i was thinking the ricochet off concrete might be a bad thing too.

Like my RWS 52. Lots of fun but the one I like the most is my TAU BRNO 7 pistol. CO2 power, easy to load, quiet, and accurate as heck for the price. It will help you alot with breathing as you can really tell pulse and when you "run out" of air.
You should be able to find used ones out there for $200 to $300

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/TAU%20BRNO.html

TAU%207%20Match.gif